Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    OK, OK, so it's $0 after trade-in, before license and title fee. I couldn't resist saying $0. :)

I just traded my Blue Bunny (2007 Rabbit 2-door) even-up for a 2007 Sonata GLS I4 AT with the Preferred Package (power seat, trip computer, leather wheel with audio controls, auto headlamps, etc.). Has 37,000 one-owner miles (not a rental), new Kumho Solus tires, and looks and drives like new. It's steel grey, which is my favorite color from the 2007 MY.

I loved the Rabbit, had it only 8 months, but we just got rid of our Chrysler minivan and found my wife needs a little bigger car, and one that is easier to climb in and out of (she has a bad back and knees). Our other car at home is an Elantra. So I decided if I could trade the Rabbit even-up for a bigger car, I would do it. I found two Sonatas with exactly the same color and equipment, but one had the new tires and the other a bit fewer miles with original rubber. The dealer with the 37k Sonata finally agreed to the even-up trade after haggling; the other dealer stuck firm at $400 + T&L. Both dealers were pleasant to work with, professional and up-front, no tricks. I bought the car from Luther Hyundai Kia in Bloomington, MN.

I've always liked the Gen 4 Sonata and almost bought one a couple of times, including last spring when I bought the Rabbit. I think it has a great combination of room, quiet ride, and buttoned-down style for the money. And it will be a better car for my wife to haul the family around in, and even for the occasional long trip.

If anyone is wondering, yes, I did take the car for a long drive and checked for any unusual suspension noise. I drove on my favorite "test track", a back road with washboard surfaces, potholes, and curves. No strange noises from the suspension. I did notice a little tire whine on a textured freeway surface, but I've heard that kind of noise on the same road on other cars so I chalk it up to normal tire noise.

The "Internet special price" of the Sonata was $11k, down from $12k. Loan value is $12.3k per my bank. I bought the Rabbit last April for $11k + T&L, and put zero into the car except gas, so my cost of ownership for the Rabbit was pretty low. Book value is around $9500 for trade-in. Plus it's due for its 40k service, which would have probably cost a few hundred bucks, while the Sonata shouldn't need any major maintenance for 2-1/2 years based on how far we drive in a year. And it has about 2-1/2 years of factory warranty left.
  • james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    Congrats on the car, man! Sounds like you got a fair deal on the trade in. I'm sure the steel grey paint job looks great with those tires (especially with a nice coat of Armor-All rubbed on).

Happy driving!
  • needacar123needacar123 Member Posts: 11
    Hi - The delaer I am working with in Roseville CA offered 18K OTD for 2010 base GLS model. I am bargaining for 17.5k and will also ask for 0% PAR with tinted windows. Is it a fair price and what are the chnaces I will get it?

Any suggestions are appreciated
  • mobo137mobo137 Member Posts: 4
    Just got home with a silver GLS, manual transmission for 15300 and 0% over 5 years.

Mobo
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    mobo: Wow--that's a great deal on an impressive car! Please give a report on how the manual shifts. Was it hard to get that deal, or did they pretty much just give it to you?

Many congratulations. Again, that's an amazing price on a very nice car.

Any other thoughts on the car so far? I assume you do not have the dreaded suspension thunk that has plagued a few Sonatas over the years?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • mobo137mobo137 Member Posts: 4
    Lithia Hyundai of Renton (near seattle) is advertising the car for 12999 after all rebates. I do not qualify for the military, college, nor the 1000 so the price was 15400 including only floor mats. My local dealer who I bought my 2008 Santa Fe Limited would not match the price. Everett Hyundai (near seattle) actually bettered it by 100. but only if I took one in stock. Which I did, took about 1 hour including financing.

Lithia ad is still up until tomorrow. Good Luck.

No suspension thunk and the shifter is smooth like butter, much nicer than a 09 I test drove 6 months ago.

Mobo
    Congrats on the car!

I have the '09 GLS manual, I paid $14,500 back in April. You got a great deal!

You're right, the shifting on the '09 GLS is not as smooth as one would like. The clutch takes some getting used to as well. It feels like you have to let the clutch out 6 inches before it will catch. After a while I got used to it.
  • kewlguy1kewlguy1 Member Posts: 9
    Started looking for a base 2010 Sonata GLS 4 dr. automatic. So far the best OTD price I have found is $18,250 with 0% financing for 5 years in lieu of the 1k rebate. I think I can do better. Not in a hurry. Any thoughts?
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    The USAA website (Zag.com) is advertising it for $16,334 (which includes the $1,000 rebate). Fitzmall (fitzmall.com) is also offering the base GLS 4 cyl with auto at $16,386. IDK what your taxes are, but this should give you an idea.
  • dca4dca4 Member Posts: 5
    what is a good reduction off the invoice price? fitzmall has a 2010 Limited at the following prices:

Invoice: $23,909
    Internet Price: $21,371 (includes $1,000 rebate, but not $500 loyalty as far as I can tell)

total deduction off invoice: $2,538. $1,000 from Hyundai rebate, the remaining $1,538 from fitzmall.

is this the benchmark to look for at local dealers, about $1,500 off invoice price?
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Dealer in Downingtown PA. (Colonial Hyundai) has a 20% of of list - another $1000 (Could have been more) I heard.
  • dca4dca4 Member Posts: 5
    No navigation or any other add-ons, except floor mats. Bought it last week:

MSRP: $25,550 (including destination fee)
    Dealer Price: $21,300
    Rebates: $1,000 + $500 loyalty

Purchase Price: $19,800

Out The Door: $19,800+taxes+$150 document fees

I think i got a good deal from the dealer. They said they got a special incentive from Hyundai and were able to discount aggressively
    dca4:

Congrats on the new car! I think you got a great deal!
  • chitown11chitown11 Member Posts: 1
    In Chicago Purchased NEW 2010 Sonata Base with Mats and IPOD cable
    MSRP 20,750.00 Out the door 17,624.80

the selling price was $15565.00 sales tax 1671 and 388 for license Doc fee Etc

This was at Mcgrath on Grand
  • cutterbobcutterbob Member Posts: 8
    Dallas Metroplex area Purchased NEW 2010 Sonata GLS with Mats and CargoNet
    Purchase Price 15,988.00 + T,TL

Out the door 17,308.01
  • cardozocardozo Member Posts: 4
    Picked up a silver GLS at Atlantic Hyundai in West Islip, NY on Monday. Got a lease for $3300 down total and $189 a month for 36 months with 12,000 miles a year. It is amazing how many features come standard on a bare bones GLS. The car drives beautifully and I saw heads turning when I was stopped at a red light.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    The All New 2011 HYUNDAI SONATA
    Lease for Only $219/mo for 36 months
    w/ $999 DOWN!
    http://www.hatfieldhyundai.net/specials/new.htm
  • oopsyoopsy Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2010 Sonata GLS with popular package and ipod cable for $16,800 + TTL in Boston, MA.

Out the door - around 18,300.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Not many postings online for what buyers are paying for the 2011 Sonata. The best price I got (surprisingly) for the LTD w/nav was $150 over invoice. Wasn't expecting such a good price for such a HOT commodity. Stumbled across Sams Club in my online search and their dealer is giving it to me for Invoice. Ganley Westside Imports in N.Olmsted, OH.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Check the 2011 Sonata general discussion as well. Posters are putting "price paid" stuff in there as well.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Just looked at a 2011 GLS today. Stickered right at 22K. very, very, nice inside and out. Didn't have an opportunity to test drive, but I did start it up and turned on the radio. The radio was turned to XM. That said, the base radio is poor quality. I tried using the controls to adjust bass, treble, fade, etc. It sounded "tinny" no matter how I adjusted it.

Just my thoughts.
  • needacar123needacar123 Member Posts: 11
    Is this price with 0% financing option? Dealers are asking around 18500 with 0% finaicing for base GLS 2010 automatic Sonata.

Thanks
  • oopsyoopsy Member Posts: 2
    This price is without the 0% financing option.
    A dealer just e-mailed me the lease stats. For 36 months/12k - 58% residual & money factor .00095
    REF: 6632
    I have some add'l info for 36mo/12k per year:
    GLS 60% .00048
    Limited 58% .00095

ymmv
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    help a dummy here what is the bottom line for this lease in real dollars. thanks
    Ohhhh, you're not a dummy. You just have to have patience and check out different dealers for prices. Typically the "bottom line" lease depends on the MSRP, Selling Price, Residual Value, Interest Rate and lease terms. The latter three are set..the first one is also set...the second number - negotiable.

The selling price depends on your diligence in dealing with different dealers until you get the best price. Dealers like to make you think a "lease" price is different from a "sale" price, but it's not.

I am going to a dealer on Saturday and I will post my results afterwards. So far, I'm getting the 2011 Sonata Limited w/nav for cost (invoice).
    You could of course go with their "lease deal" but it does not always work out to be a "deal" because they normally want you to put money down (and you get low mileage, and a base model w/no options)...and I NEVER put money down on a lease. I just try to work the sales price down so I can get my monthly payments to where I want them to be.
    REF:6635
    Agree completely with your lease assessment. Dealers make it intentionally confusing for most consumers. I have a spreadsheet i use for lease calcs. If you give me your msrp and invoice I can come up with a pre-tax payment for you based on a few scenarios. FWIW, there is a dealer in Columbus, IN advertising 2k below msrp on limiteds - i don't see how they are doing that unless there is additional dealer cash available now on 2011 Sonatas...
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    dont all leases require money down ? how r u going to lease with no money down? thanks
    LOL..great minds think alike...our maybe you're an Accountant, like me! I have an excel spreadsheet I use too.

$2,000 below MSRP...this is like the 3rd time I've read this. Maybe I'll try and push my dealer on Saturday. I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer though. Thank goodness for the internet and e-mail! I never have to speak to them until I am completely satisfied.
    When I say "no money down" I mean no "downpayment". I walk out paying my 1st mth, security deposit (usually equal to 1 mth), title and doc fee. I roll the taxes in my mthly pymnts.
    REF: 6639
    FWIW, msrp 26150, sell 25000, 36mo, 12k, 58%, .00095, 595acq
    payment $328.41 (pre-tax)

For the other guy: IMO, the main reason you don't want a large down payment is in case you total the car in the first week of a 36 month lease. You would lose all of your down payment with gap insurance paying the remainder.
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    I say you can push them down another 1200 plus or min 100. Go to Samsclubauto and request a quote. Just got one at 23715 for a limited with the same msrp as yours
    edited February 2010
    That is truly an awesome price...esp. since it just came out. I tried to get a quote thru Sams Club. The request went to the same dealer I was already dealing with and they said they could sell to me for invoice. They said 'that's the Sams Club program "no haggle" pricing'.

...now I don't want their offer... I want your dealer...lol. What is your zip code? Maybe I can request a quote through Sams Club again with the NJ zip code and see what I get.
    Whew...okay...nevermind my previous post. I figured it out. You got the invoice price, plus the $250 Sams Club discount, plus the $500 Valued Owner coupon.

My Limited is w/nav so the MSRP is a bit higher, but they are giving it to me for the invoice. I'm going to ask for the Sams Discount of $250 when I go there on Sat. I don't own a Hyundai so I won't qualify for the additional $500.
  • clbrianclbrian Member Posts: 2
    Conroe, TX - 2010 Silver Sonata GLS Auto

MSRP: 20,620.00 w/ destination
    Sale Price: 17395
    - Rebates: 3500 (including 1k rebate for trading in a Toyota)
    = 13895
    +TTL: 1096.07
    = total drive-out: $14991.07 (before the trade in, which took off another $500 for a 94 camry barely running).
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Nice deal, here the GLS is going for $15,995 so sounds like you got it for $1100.00 less than what they are offering here (without the trade in) if so that makes it a very good deal. What dealership did you buy it from?
  • clbrianclbrian Member Posts: 2
    Wiesner Hyndai in Conroe, TX. I negotiated it entirely though the phone, came in, signed the papers, and was out in a bit over an hour. Great buying experience and a great group there.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    The Hyundai dealers here are not known for being the easiest to work with, of course the number of dealerships are limited to two auto groups so that helps explain the problem.
    Today, I leased a 2011 Limited w/nav. It's black with grey interior. I really wanted Silver w/black interior but the nearest one was in Chicago and would cost some extra $$$ to get here in Ohio.

I'm not a fan of making a downpayment on a lease so I work on getting a good selling price. Here is my info:

MSRP: $28,250
    Selling Price: $25,618
    Ad & Acq fees: $837
    Lease: 36mths/12k - $345/mth
  • tweety6583tweety6583 Member Posts: 15
    Shuale_ejs

I'm looking for a Limited in Northwest Ohio, neither of the two local dealers have a Limited. What dealership did you use and did they have any other Limited models?
    Try Ganley Westside Imports and ask for Andy. Tell him I sent you.
  • radiobuckradiobuck Member Posts: 7
    Any recommendations on a getting a deal on a Hyundai Sonata lease in the Philadelphia area, I was at a dealer that is trying to mark them up 3k because they don't have a lot in stock
  • siddhusiddhu Member Posts: 2
    Thats a really good deal. the best price i have been offered till now on the 2010 gls with popular equipment package is 17,110. This includes the rebates. How do i go about bringing it down to the price you paid? Any tips would be helpful. This is my first car buying attempt and i would love to get the price you guys are paying .Thanks
    edited February 2010
    I was able to get that deal thru Sams Club Auto Program. Try there. They have a no haggle pricing already set up with dealers.

Also, do your homework. Know the car you want and color and get the invoice price. Shop at a couple of dealers and tell them you are checking with others. I don't ask for lease specials...I find a good selling price and then I get the numbers for the residual value and interest so I know what the monthly price should be.

On Saturday I had my laptop with me so I knew what the number should be...that's how I was able to catch them on trying to stiff me $350.

I'm a wuzz when it comes to dealing with people in person. I knew what color I wanted and had my pricing ready but somehow I let them swindle me out of getting my color I wanted for another that they had on the lot. But I'm not happy so I'm trying to work on getting the color I wanted. I don't have possession of the car and because I went through Sams Club the manager said I have to be "completely" satisfied for them to get their commission or whatever. So I'm trying to use their terminology, that I'm not "completely" satisfied so that they can get my car.

Plus, I looked online today and the Sams Club's site said that "if the dealer does not have the vehicle you want, you can ask them to order it for you. They will do this at the same price that they would sell you a vehicle off of their lot."

On Saturday, they told me they found my color in Chicago and that I would have to pay to get it here. Now I'm seeing that that's not true...so we'll see how they respond.
  • jpmenserjpmenser Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased 2010 Sonata I-4 Limited
    msrp 25405 reduced to 21605 less 3900 in rebates to 17705. Less trade of 7000 for 05 Camry plus tax 12,503 otd.
    That's an awesome deal!
    edited February 2010
    REF: 6655
    7700 off sticker!!! MSRP 25.4k, sell price 17.7k, please explain how you did this?
    Best i can do is 6200 off msrp and that is with the $500 military coupon.
  • jpmenserjpmenser Member Posts: 3
    I started with the USAA pre negotiated price 25,400 reduced to approximately $19,200. Then got additional $1000 for trading a toyota and $400 for being a recent college grad.