Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    If they don't to you, great. They do to me. I wanted a great looking car with every bell and whistle imaginable, and that's what I got for under $26k.

The previous generation Sonatas are nice, family vehicles, but they're styling is bland at best. Also, I don't make decisions about vehicle purchases where trunk hinges are any kind of major decision making factor.
  • thereftheref Member Posts: 6
    I am sure 2011 is an improvement over the 2010 so if money is no concern then it's a better choice. No offense, I was just curious to know what are the features that made you ignore the price diff.
  • manmanmmanmanm Member Posts: 7
    wanna buy one. and got an otd price for $19,020.00. incredible expensive.
    what is a common price for 2010 sonata gls
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    ref:6763
    GLS: FACTORY MSRP $20,755; WEB ONLY PRICE! $16,332
    Use cars dot com and search within 150 miles of your zip code.
    Should be easy to get 4500 off of msrp!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's not that exceptional, for some areas anyway. An ad in today's Star Tribune (Twin Cities) had that same car for $15,500, before negotiations start. But that included the $500 military rebate I think.
  • tweet651983tweet651983 Member Posts: 32
    shuale_ejs,

That is a great deal. I too am in Ohio. The local Toledo dealership just lost his franchise, so I'm looking to other Ohio Hyundai dealerships and will consider the 2 hour drive to Marhofer.

I am considering leasing for the first time, your $312/month is great. Was you cap cost, the $25,927 selling price or did you put additional money down above and beyond the fees and taxes? What was the money factor and residuals that they quoted you 15k per year. I understand the residual to be 58% for the Limited with 12k miles per year. Did they require you to pay the taxes upfront or could you have included them in the cap cost?

Thanks for your input.

Tweet
  • manmanmmanmanm Member Posts: 7
    Thanks pegasus17, I am trying your way.

besidesI was told an ideal otd price would be 16k.

But the saleman emails me $15,372.00 plus tax, tag, and fees. that will still totally cost me more than 17k.
  • eblue2eblue2 Member Posts: 8
    Can anybody verify the 2011 online pricing for fairfaxhyundai.com? For some reason pricing for this car is hard to discern.
  • elvisluvselvisluvs Member Posts: 29
    Just my opinion- the '11 buyer is looking for a newer, more sporty looking sedan (and possibly driving- though I haven't tested the '11). The '10 buyer is looking for maximum bang for buck on a solid reliable sedan. Sweetie didn't like the '10- she just went to test drive the '11 a few minutes ago-m
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    Just my opinion- the '11 buyer is looking for a newer, more sporty looking sedan (and possibly driving- though I haven't tested the '11). The '10 buyer is looking for maximum bang for buck on a solid reliable sedan. Sweetie didn't like the '10- she just went to test drive the '11 a few minutes ago-m

As a seeker for a 2010 GLS (I4) I am in total agreement with your opinion. While I certainly wouldn't mind a 2011, my wife doesn't like it one bit so it's not even going to be considered. We are going for '09 or '10 used but if a new is in the ballpark, we'll consider. I'll keep my eye on the prices reported here. THanks!
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    There are some smokin' deals on 2010s.
    My son works as a buyer of cars at auction. Last week a large group of Sonata's in the Chicago area went through at < 12K per unit. (Around $11.5 IIRC) The amazing thing, is that they were all NEW, and sold at the same price regardless of model. Most were GLS, but some SEs and LTDs were in there too. Part of the deal is that the buyer had to title the car. (Apparently so it would have to be re-sold as used)

My son has a 2009 GLS, and it has been a great car. I needed something with a little more "Soul", so I am getting a 2011 LTD. While the cars share a lot of the same heritage, the 2011 is much sportier, and had enough interior quality and toys to get me to part ways with my G35. I'd still highly recommend the 2009 or 2010 to anyone who needs a slightly roomier back seat, or prefers the slightly softer ride of those models.
  • cooldesakcooldesak Member Posts: 15
    Thanks meik, I finally got mine as Pearl White too, I havent picked it up though :))
  • pman5pman5 Member Posts: 11
    That was Lester Glenn Hyundai in Toms River NJ. Yes it does have smart key and rear camera. And it was plus 7 percent tax and 271.00 registration.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010
    Yes that is the cap cost. No, I did not put any money down. Yes, all taxes were paid upfront.

To tell you the truth I don't know what the residual value and MF are for 15K. I was signing a lease for 12K and asked about buying extra miles. The Finance Manager did a calculation and said to buy 3,000 addtional miles would cost me $600, but if I got a lease for 15K it would be an addtitional $8.00/mth. That was a no brainer so I just said OKAY! She changed the paperwork and I signed it...

Humm, I chose to pay the fees and taxes upfront because I preferred to get some airline miles on my credit card. It seems to vary from dealer to dealer regarding the taxes. According to the State law (which I checked out online), when you are leasing a vehicle in Ohio you are required to pay all the taxes upfront. I had to do that on my last lease; however, when I went to the first Hyundai dealer they were working out the deal to include taxes in the monthly payments. So I guess the payment of taxes depends on where you go.
  • kid_nikikid_niki Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hi,
    Just seeking comments on this offer:
    2011 GLS w/Option 2 and Mats
    Lease: $249 a month (includes all taxes and fees).
    MSRP: 21,765
    Selling Price: $20,000 using ($500 loyalty rebate)
    No Downpayment...

Cold, Warm, Hot????

Thanks in advance..
  • karbuffkarbuff Member Posts: 34
    I just got home with my new 2010 Sonata GLS 5sp. MSRP was $19,540 with the only option being floor mats. So far I am very happy with it. It reminds me of my first new car a 1994 Nissan Altima base 5sp. I paid $11,400 for it in 1994. I found this one as a web only special for $11,988 :) No military rebate for me, so my final price was $12,488 plus tax and tags. No trade so the only negotiation was rate and term. I always go in with my best bank rate which was 3.74%.

The sales manager told me he was losing his shirt on this one and asked if I was interested in an 09 automatic for around the same price. I politely shook his hand and said no. He wrote this one up, had it gased and washed and I was otd in an hour. I told him he'll definitely get a good CSI rating on the experience. He seemed happy enough with that.

I've always been an ad unit shopper. Ever since my Altima in 94, I pull apart the weekend paper and also check the dealer websites for the best price around. I had to drive about 40 miles to get it, but the savings was more than worth it.

Best of luck to y'all
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    And that price was for a new one? Wow, what dealership was this at?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Can you share what dealer and where it is? I'd appreciate it greatly!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 6775
    According to my dealer source, March lease rates are the same as Feb 2010:
    GLS: res=60%; MF=0.00048; standard 36 month, 12k per year lease with 595 acq fee
    msrp 21765, sell 20000
    PRE-TAX lease payment would be 225.49
    Depending on your state's taxes and fees, i consider your deal warm.
    Good luck.
  • louie7louie7 Member Posts: 22
    Loved the test drive, handles very nicely
    Gls, option 2, ipod and mats
    MSRP $21,800
    Cost $20,000, less $500 loyalty = $19,500 plus tax and license, 2.9% 60 months

Any comments on the extended 100,000 ten year warranty, $20 per month, transferable and cancelable.
  • karbuffkarbuff Member Posts: 34
    I don't know if we can mention dealer names specifically but if you google Hyundai and north seattle, it'll take you there. :)
    edited March 2010
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

The above is posted from the page where you create a post. :)

That said, I'm in B'ham, Alabama, so probably not worth THAT trip. :)
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    Found an Overstock.com listing of a '10 GLS auto w/PEP 1 in Virginia for $14,997. Not sure how solid that price would be through them. If it WAS solid, I'd be tempted to use some FF miles and fly one way from Detroit to DC but getting one-way rental car from there didn't seem easy. A 4-hour drive would take me to a dealer with a used '09, only 10K miles and asking $14K, probably the best used deal (assuming some wiggle room) I've found in the color we want.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Hey, if you're in here today..... did that include fees, TTL, etc?

I'm trying to get a feel for how this dealer works. They won't give a price if I don't come in which may cost them a sale.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I'm trying to get a feel for how this dealer works. They won't give a price if I don't come in which may cost them a sale.

It would turn me off IMMEDIATELY.
  • timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    Seeking opinions on a 2011 Sonata auto gls package 2 carpeted floor mats i-pod cable mudguards $20,363 Also getting the $500 off for loyalty $19863 before taxes and tags. :confuse:
    After well over a month of research here and theres, I finally bought my own 2011 Sonata Limited.
    MSRP was $26450 (included Pearl White paint, ipod cable, carpeted floor mats, wheel locks, door edge guards, wheel molding), got it for $23.5K at Faulkner Hyundai in Harrisburg, PA.

Transaction was soooo smooth, no pushy, irritating people, just a bunch of happy, helpful, fun-to-deal-with, promise-keeper people. Great service, great dealership. Highly recommended.

Dealership documentary fee is $120, which I think is pretty reasonable. They accept credit card payment up to $1500, which means with my 1% cashback credit card, it is like getting $15 off
    Oh, almost forgot to mention, they gave me a financing APR of 2.90% (not 2.99%) which doesnt sound like a big difference, but for 5 years of financing tens of thousands of dollars, the small savings can give you like free meals at a restaurant. :p

So far, I love every moment of driving it, and I dont know why but the car feels better than when I was only test-driving it. It feels quite, soft, and powerful to me, and those gadgets are just too lovely.
  • salviesalvie Member Posts: 5
    Could you please post some photos of your new car? I haven't seen any *actual* photographs of the Pearl White besides a couple of professional press packet photos. I'm curious to see how it looks in normal conditions.
    will do when I have a chance (and when I remember :p )

In the mean time, you can see this clip from a certain dealer that has Pearl White Limited in "normal" (non-pro-press) condition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCC_kcQ2bE
  • mil001mil001 Member Posts: 6
    This forum has been valuable to me, so thought I would return the favor:

Purchase 2011 GLS last week. With ipod connector, floormats an Wheel/powerseat package (forgot what it was called). Purchased in Texas at 2.9% with no owner loyalty discount. OTD price was $21000
    What dealership in Texas did you purchase your vehicle from?
  • akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    This forum has been valuable to me, so thought I would return the favor:

Purchase 2011 GLS last week. With ipod connector, floormats an Wheel/powerseat package (forgot what it was called). Purchased in Texas at 2.9% with no owner loyalty discount. OTD price was $21000

Could you please tell me in which dealer you bought the car? I am in Houston. If it is convenient for you, could you email me the telephone number and the name of the salesman? Thank you very much!
  • goodshopper99goodshopper99 Member Posts: 19
    I love the 2011 SE with pearl white paint. the best price i've gotten so far is $1,002 below invoice. has anyone done better? i am ready to buy this week, please feel free to post or email me at startac99 [at] hotmail.com privately.

i'd much rather prefer the SE but GLS might do if the price is right............
  • mil001mil001 Member Posts: 6
    Not sure how to prive message on here and your e-mail is private. You may not want to drive that far - the dealer is in the Dallas area.
  • akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    Hi, could you please email the information to my emailbox: leehotsun@hotmail.com? Thank you very much!
  • tarheelbarktarheelbark Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hoping for someone with some experience beyond mine to alleviate a concern about the current $2500 rebate (2010 Sonata):

I have an out-of-state deal lined up all the way down to the deposit to hold it through Friday as it is about 300 miles from. However, the 2500 Sonata rebate on the 2010 looks to expire 3/31/10 which is Wednesday before I can make it there. I'm assuming that there is no real reason to drop the incentive on an aging model, but concerned enough since $2500 is a big deal for us.
    Will the rebate be renewed for April? Is there a way to lock in the rebate without purchasing as I have not seen the vehicle in person?

Any advice, experience, or guidance for where to find an answer is Greatly Appreciated!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it's unlikely Hyundai will reduce the rebate on the outgoing 2010 model, since they want to clear them off the lots. But with the rebate game, there's no guarantees on what the rebate will be in the future. You could ask the dealer if they will "lock in" the rebate and see what they say. They may have advance notice of the April rebates and be able to agree to lock it in, especially since you already have a deposit on the car. Doesn't hurt to ask.
  • mpobletempoblete Member Posts: 10
    I assume the Limited includes the sunroof, leather and heated seats right? did you get navi?

I've been looking a few months at the morket to buy a Lexus IS250 but I'm impressed by this Sonata, it really sounds like it's got not much to envy to the IS250 and the price you got is very attractive too.
  • punjabi112punjabi112 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 2010 SE or GLS. I have got a quote of 14600 (+ fess and taxes) for the GLS. However I would prefer the SE model.
    Anyone know of good deals for SE model in the SF bay area ?
    Also is 14.6 the best for GLS ?
    I want to buy the car by Wednesday.
    Thanks a lot
    If the price is for an PEP equipped Automatic, that's a great price.
    If its not a PEP equipped Automatic, its still a good price.
  • dansimdansim Member Posts: 6
    I see a fair amount of discussion about delas on new 2010's for around $15K Any in Masachusetts? Any searching/negotiating/buying tips from you successful buyers out there? Look forward to the suggestions...
  • moroccogoatmoroccogoat Member Posts: 23
    I am living in Houston. Does anybody know the ideal OTD price for a 2010 Sonata GLS Auto :confuse:

Thanks a lot!
    Well hopefully you'll have better luck than here in SA, dealers here are not offering the same prices elsewhere.
    What's the OTD price that dealers in SA offer?
    Yes the Limited includes the sunroof, leather, heated seats, dual climate ctrl, xm, hd radio, sound system with subwoofer, etc etc -- you can see a list of detailed specs in page 31 of http://www.hyundaiusa.com/ebrochure/Sonata/

I didnt get navi although it looks really good. Rather than getting navi, upgraded sound, and back-up camera for $2K, I prefer save that money. Especially since I already have portable GPS (portable is the key here), and standard sound system in Limited is clean, crisp and powerful enough for me already; and I dont need back-up camera.

It's a great buy, I'd say.
    My budget allowed me to look for a car around $25K, and I had been seriously considering IS250 and Acura TSX. With around the same amount of money, I get either older car of IS250 or Acura TSX OR a brand new 2011 Sonata Limited. So I decided to get the Sonata. It doesnt have as much hp as IS250 or TSX, but it saves more gas and has more features, plus who doesnt like that brand-new-car smell :))
    Another plus, I couldnt resist the good deal I got with that dealership.

You should research the cars yourself. The car you'll drive must be the car you'll love driving, maintaining, and being around it ;)

Are you in PA?
  • mpobletempoblete Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply, it looks like you have been in my same exact position, I've been looking at used 2007-2008 IS250, TSX, BMW 328i or MB 230. I've tested the Benz, cool but small interior and the mpg no very impressing, IS250- I liked it and it's been so far my choice, I haven't tested the 328 yet, some say I will fall in love some others I'll get disappointed but so far IMO the interior looks like really close to the VW Passat 99 that my wife used to drive and the exterior is cool in from but the back I don't like it at all. The main problem for all those is the cost of maintenance, I'm being told that can't go for any of those without and extended warranty contract that could add from 3K to 5K to my expense. I was in that predicament where the Sonata 2011 came up and it caught my eye, I keep reading good things about it and tested it last Saturday, I liked it in general but the only one that would make me happy would be the limited but when the salesman told me the price (27,9K) it sounded not such a super deal to me.
    I'm in Tampa, FL so not sure if the dealers here work similar deals than the one you got, I for sure will try :)
    Also I heard many people criticize the Sonata by saying "yah but it's Korean...it's still a Hyundai" while I like Lexus/BMW/MB and might have the budget for a used one I'll tell you that I won't pay more money just for the badge.
    For the 2010 GLS Option 2 OTD best quote I've received is $16,995.00 and OTD $18,300
    I paid $25,750 for my 2011 Sonata LTD w/nav. Get an Internet price quote.
    In Houston the best quote I got is OTD $17,200 (MSRP $20,800 with IPOD CABLE,CARGO NET,CARPETED FRONT/REAR FLOOR MATS). But it's still much higher than that people in other states received. Why? Is location really a big factor?
    Apparently, yes. From what I've read, dealers in Dallas seem to be offering much better prices than those in Houston.