Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mpobletempoblete Member Posts: 10
    Good tip, they list a good price, 23,8K for a limited but the fine print says $495 additional for dealer fee, I been told that's std in Florida? (moved here 1 year ago so I don't much about it). The Internet salesman told me the car arrived but it needs a button for something with the lights (weird) in the meantime I checked Hyundai of Tampa Bay and the also list the base limited at 23.8K.....indeed it looks like dealers here are very aggressive!. I'm asking the dealer from my neighborhood to match the price so it's up to them no, I might be closing in the next couple of days.
  • abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    dealers order by model number so no control over color & options.
    You ask if 2-month timeframe is enough to get your choice? depends what color & options; also differs what part of the country.
    In my case I've been waiting for my order over 2 months and still nothing on the horizon.
    and I would guess the better deals are to be had on existing stock, not ordering.
  • blaholdingsblaholdings Member Posts: 10
    Interesting. Do they have any means of allowing you to track status of your order?
  • capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    That $495 fee is a bogus fee and is pure profit for the dealer - it is not a requirement that a dealer has one. The only thing is that if a dealer charges one customer a dealer fee then they need to charge everyone. I would add that $495 the dealer is charging you to the 23.8K they quoted and that is the real price that you are paying for the car. You can probably negotiate to get this dealer or another dealer to get a better price.
    Thanks, that's what I thought, the dealer is asking me for written offers on the prices I gave him but none of them want to give me written offers, obviously they realize I can use them to negotiate with others so I'll come to my dealer tonight and try to remove those $495, I don't want to squeeze them all but also I don't want to pay more than the rest, I read in Boston MA they are getting the same car in 23,200 OTD that's a nice price! I must accept though that this dealer is offering me a good deal for my trade so that also counts, we'll see, maybe tomorrow I'll write the good news or I'll keep looking, after all it's a buyers market.....
  • shmohawkshmohawk Member Posts: 3
    Dude, don't know if they have the inventory, but the fleet manager I dealt with @ Glendale Hyundai seemed to be decent Korean guy that speaks fluent Espanol. I thought I did my research @ Edmunds among other places, figured invoice + destination + a little dealer profit and came up with a target price. He offered $200 lower than my target w/o seeing what I had. I guess I got too excited about owning this car that I didn't even bother to neg. the price down some more. Anyways, drove away with a LTD w/o NAV for $24.500 before taxes. Thought I got a decent deal until i read some of the posts here. But I don't think any of the lower prices were from CA. Hope this helps, Happy hunting. (Avoid GlendoraHyundai)
    I'd say if you have to wait more than 3 weeks for a car that's too much, Dealers can exchange cars between them anywhere in the country so unless you ordered something in super-high demand they should be able to find the car you want at another dealer and bring it in matter of days (if not overnight). what did you order?
  • blaholdingsblaholdings Member Posts: 10
    I haven't ordered anything, I was just curious about ordering, as the supply of Limited Sonatas in western washington is EXTREMELY limited (no pun intended). I think across the 9 dealers I spoke with, they have a total of maybe 20.

Makes it hard to negotiate. Just had a dealer tell me it's not worth their time to negotiate with me if i'm not willing to accept around $500 over MSRP, as they believe there are plenty of other customers who will. Based on inventories and other dealer responses, they're being honest.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Makes it hard to negotiate. Just had a dealer tell me it's not worth their time to negotiate with me if i'm not willing to accept around $500 over MSRP, as they believe there are plenty of other customers who will. Based on inventories and other dealer responses, they're being honest.

Just wait... in time you'll regain the upper-hand. I'd wait for a year-2 model myself, let the bugs get worked out in the first year and save a bundle of cash. :shades:
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    You will not save a bundle of cash! !- 2 year will cost more. It is like a computer, you wait 6 months because the computer will be better, come 6 months later you make the same statement, you do not own the new computer and the price has gone up. You are stuck with what you own (old computer) and you have the same problem with the car you own now. One year older less trade in value and the 2012 Sonata will cost more than the 2011 model!!!
  • dfwhyundaidfwhyundai Member Posts: 5
    got 3 great quotes in DFW area for 2011 Sonata GLS auto with floor mats and ipod cable:
    Freeman at $18600+ttl, Dallas Hyundai at $18500+ttl, Eckert Hyundai at $18450+ttl.
    will see if Freeman will match the best price since I am closer to them.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    edited April 2010
    Question:

What would I expect to pay if I wanted a 2011 Sonata SE? How about if I added navigation and the sunroof to the SE?

And how easy is it for my local dealer to get a specific combination? I'm flexible, but the local dealer only has 1 SE, not equipped with navigation and sunroof.

I'm in Greater Nashville, but willing to go to other markets (Atlanta, Chicago) to purchase if that means substantial savings.
  • snamsnam Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    Does your price ($23,671) really include taxes and fees?
    That means your sales price is around $21,000.
    It's because I was about to close a deal on $24,000 w/o taxes and fees.
    Please tell me your price does not include taxes and fees.
  • plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    We received a quote of $24,310 + any accessories, taxes and fees from Rick Case Hyundai here in the North Atlanta area. That's for a 2011 Sonata SE with Navigation and Sunroof. MSRP on the same vehicle is $26,050. On the surface it seems like a pretty good price as long as the "fees" don't get out of hand. I'm strongly considering the offer by adding carpeted floor mats, wheel locks and Homelink for another $400. Anyone know if Homelink can be added at the dealership?
    Are you finding specific colors difficult to find? And, how tough was it for you to find the SE with the Navigation/Sunroof package?

When I went on a test drive on Friday at the Hyundai dealer and asked about the SE with Nav/Sunroof, the sales guy said he had yet to see an SE with navigation and sunroof enter his store. I drove the only SE he had in stock. In addition to the SE, he had a pair of Limiteds (without navigation) and about half a dozen GLSs.

Does the $24,310 price include the floor mats and iPod cable? on Edmunds the SE with an MSRP of $26,050 includes the Navigation/Sunroof package, carpeted floor mats, and the iPod cable.
  • plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    I've been looking for Pacific Blue and 4 out of 5 of my nearest dealers have that in an SE with Navi. Based on the online inventories, the selection seems to be a bit better in a larger market like North Atlanta. Though GLSs and Limiteds have greater availability. I haven't test driven one yet. The closest I've come is checking out the lot after closing Friday night. At this particular dealer there was an assortment of Sonatas (about 25-30) but none of them I saw had Navi. Of course it was dark and I was only looking inside the Pacific Blue models so I could have missed it. But I'm sure they have overflow where the Navi-equipped vehicles might be as well.

Since I haven't had a conversation with the dealer yet, I can't assume the $24,310 price includes the iPod cable and carpeted floor mats. If it does, great. If not, I'm not going to quibble over $135. I'm sure the dealer wouldn't let the deal walk out the door over it either. Based on Edmunds and Truecar, this is a pretty darn good price.
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    According to the Sonata brochure the homelink is only available of the Limited. I would doubt it could be added on the the GLS or SE because of the work involved. I also think if it could be added on it would be expensive.
    It might be as part of an accessory auto dimming mirror. I've seen that on a few other cars where you could add HomeLink as part of the auto dimming mirror. I'm not sure if Hyundai does it.

and $24,310 does look like a very good price. It's about $200 or so below invoice, per Edmunds.
  • shmohawkshmohawk Member Posts: 3
    Glendale Hyundai's got a Pac Blue Pearl LTD w/Nav in camel leather. Just saw it today.
    Well, we can agree to disagree. As models age, their prices drop, and by price I'm talking transaction price, not sticker. The Sonata won't be the new kid on the block against a new Camry, Altima, and a forthcoming Accord. The prices will go down -- maybe not drastically, but people won't be paying sticker and above like some are seeing now in the Pacific Northwest.

And no, you won't necessarily have the same problem now. It is common for automakers to have more bugs early in a model-run, working them out with each passing month.
    I closed and got my Limited w/o Navi Black Phantom/camel 2011on Friday, they brought it from another dealer because whites and black are hard to find these days. I'm very happy with the dealer (Hyundai of Wesley Chapel, FL) they were not pushy and worked with me for the deal, got it for 24K + TTL, they offered me good deal for my beloved Accord 2003 as trade. I love the car, love the ride and the comfortability, and the looks? awesome! I'm glad that all the research and my nights reading through the postings here helped me, I would have paid more money w/o the tips I got here, good luck to everybody getting their cars.
  • crf2318crf2318 Member Posts: 6
    I just leased a '11 Sonata Limited (No nav) in Silver w/ grey leather along with the carpeted mats and iPod cable with the specs below. I went with Courtesy Nissan (Tampa) b/c they gave me the best offer and were probably the easiest to deal with, and even waived the $599 Dealer fee at the finance table. I got them to throw in wheel locks for 'free'. Make sure you check their #'s and math on the lease wksheet b/c they were way off when we started and had wrong MF and none of the fees were adding up correctly - so be careful.

36 month lease/12K miles
    MSRP = 26150
    Negotiated Price = 23350
    Total Paid at Signing $1950 (includes 1st pmt, Acq fee, & TTT)
    Monthly Payment = $300.66
    Residual Value = 58%
    Money Factor = .00095

23945 Cap Cost (23350 Neg price + 595 Acquisition fee)
    15167 Residual Value
    10115.64 Total Pmts
    I didn't lease it, I bought it (2.99% - 60 months) so not sure if the negotiation goes in the same way, overall you got a good price if you just paid 23,3K in my case I didn't want to push them more that I did (we started at 25,3) because they offered me a very good deal for my trade (50% than all the rest of dealers I quoted) so that worked out really nice for me.
  • thoughtfulthoughtful Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to lease a car for my son, and I want it to be cheap. However, he doesn't fit in small cars. We saw a ridiculous price advertised for a manual 2011 Sonata, drove an automatic, and my son and I both liked it. So how cheap can I get an automatic GLS? I have read the forum and here are some thoughts.

Someone suggested that he got quotes around 18,500 for an automatic GLS with floor mats and the ipod cable (msrp 21,050). I have seen money factor of .00048 with residual of 59% or 60% for a 36/36000 lease. Combining those and using the 59% residual, i get a pre-tax number of 183.74/mo plus TTL. Does anyone believe I can get that type of deal (in Ohio)?

If I don't do this, I may end up with an automatic Accord around 219/mo but without the bluetooth or satellite. I know my son would prefer the Sonata. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    If you want cheap, check out a brand new 2010 Sonata; you should still be able to find a few and for much less than a 2011 model. I'm 6'5" so i understand about space!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Question, not a criticism: If you couldn't get the Sonata for $184/ month, why would you be thinking you'd have to go for an Accord at $219/month?

Does the $219 include TTL while the $184 does not?

How much are you estimating the TTL to be?
    Good question. I am not saying that $184 would be my limit on the Sonata. That is just what the calculation produced. The Accord is a last resort if I can't get a good deal on the Sonata. I only started looking at the Sonata because of the low numbers I saw, but it is a quality car IMHO. I still trust the reliability (and in many cases the dealer reputation) of the Accord more.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 6935
    If you paid the acq fee (595) upfront, why was it part of the cap. cost?
    REF:6937
    18500 is not realistic on this desirable car. I'd be surprised if you got it for 19.0 but 19.4 is realistic. check truecar.com and click on the table view.
    Beware the Ohio doc fee of $250 which many say is mandatory when it is a MAXIMUM set by statute. FWIW, I am also cross-shopping the accord and sonata in Ohio. I like the sonata better but the accord has better lease terms. Also, hyundai has a $400 disposition fee while Honda does not...

Q21:
    How much can a seller entering into a retail installment contract charge a customer for the preparation of documents?
    A21:
    On June 30, 2006, an amendment to section 1317.07 of the Revised Code, which governs retail installment contracts, took effect. That section now provides that a seller entering into a retail installment contract can charge a fee of up to two hundred fifty dollars ($250) for preparation of documents related to the sale. Previously, the maximum fee that could be charged for document preparation was one hundred dollars. As a result of the amendment, motor vehicle dealers selling motor vehicles to customers under retail installment contracts can charge the customer this two hundred fifty dollar document preparation fee in addition to other fees associated with the sale of the vehicle (taxes, registration fees, etc.). It is important to note that the dealership is not required to charge the document preparation fee.
    The Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Motor Vehicles did not play any role in the adoption of the amendment to section 1317.07, and receives no portion of the document preparation fee. Instead, the fee is retained by the motor vehicle dealer.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/dealer_licensing/dealer-faq.htm#A21
  • dfwhyundaidfwhyundai Member Posts: 5
    not realistic. $18500 was for a cash deal with no trade in. the whole transaction took 15 minutes. You want a great lease deal and both Hyundai and Honda already offer $199.month, which is really fantastic.

If you really want cheap, buy a used 2009 Sonata for $12k.
    thanks, that is very helpful. what lease terms are you seeing for the honda that are better than the sonata? i did not know about the disposition fee, so i appreciate that info. please let us know what you do.
    thanks, i thought it might have been a buy instead of a lease. if i could get $199/mo without money down, i think i might have to do that, but i haven't seen that yet. i just wanted to check if i could do better. thanks for your help.
    edited April 2010
    36 months, 12k/year Lease comparo - Honda accord lx,lx-p,ex
    versus Hyundai sonata GLS w/PEP1 (msrp 21800)
    Residuals both at 60% (April)
    Money factor hyundai .00048 / honda .00127
    Dealer cash: honda 1200; hyundai 1000 (not advertised but in effect)
    Discount from MSRP: accord is discounted more from MSRP than sonata
    Accord is 35 payments while Sonata is 36
    Honda has zero disposition fee while hyundai's is $400

IMO, both are excellent lease deals this month.
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    If you really want cheap, buy a used 2009 Sonata for $12k.

That's pretty general without mileage and options (I realize you're probably talking GLS but there's also the PEP levels). I'm not finding anything below $13,500 for less than 20K miles and this is after a little negotiation. This is in the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois region.
    Sorry to digress back to 2010 but I'm not interested in the 2011. Got an OTD quote (6% tax) for a 2010 GLS Auto I4 w/PEP2 for $18,600. Personally, that isn't low enough for me. Any thoughts? Thank you!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why not just jump on one of those slightly-used 2009 Sonatas (same as the 2010) that are out there, get it at a Hyundai dealer and spring for the Hyundai extended warranty if that makes you feel better about buying used, and call it a day?
  • grdawggrdawg Member Posts: 5
    Ya, I think you can do better. I saw someone on here say they got 17,900 out the door on that model. I got a 2010 SE (with blue tooth) for 19,500 OTD a few weeks ago. I was happy, but you always think you can get lower.
    I hear you on that but one of my barriers is a very picky wife that insists on one color both exterior and interior which really limits my used choices. Found a GLS basic 2009 w/19,000 miles @ $13,999 but wouldn't budge (I figured $13,400 was fair). His price would bring it to about $15,200 OTD. That would still be $3,400 below my latest new quote I realize but without the PEP2 and then would an extended warranty run? If I could get the new price down to about $18,000 OTD, we're only talking $2,800 extra and gain 19,000 miles, PEP2, and one model year (which is not a major factor to me).

I probably AM overthinking this decision and would like to get it over with. It's the darn accountant in me.
    Ya, I think you can do better. I saw someone on here say they got 17,900 out the door on that model. I got a 2010 SE (with blue tooth) for 19,500 OTD a few weeks ago. I was happy, but you always think you can get lower.

If he came back with $18,100, I think I would bite. Thanks...
    $18k is too high for last year's Sonata.

I got my best offer by using Cars.Overstock.com for pricing leverage. It wasn't as low as I was comfortably paying, but I did get an offer of $17.1k out the door in Columbus, GA. That is $16,300 + tax, for a silver auto with PEP.

Good luck!
    It seems to me you should be spending less time negotiating with dealers and more time negotiating with your wife on color choice. Assuming that is even possible. ;) I am very lucky I guess in that my wife lets me handle the car-buying decisions for our family. But I try to take her tastes and needs into account as much as possible. For example, in November I swapped our '07 Rabbit, which I really loved, for a '07 Sonata, because she had some trouble climbing in and out of the Rabbit. She does like the Sonata, and it really is a more practical car for us at this time.
    Well, the backstory on that is that I brought home our Plymouth Van in 1999 (which we still have) in a color that I THOUGHT she already approved. She says she didn't but we were "stuck" with it (and it's been fine) and now I have to walk on eggshells about it because women NEVER forget! Never mind the fact that I'll be driving the new car 90% of the time...it has to look good (to her) sitting in the garage and wherever else...groan!

I'm already compromising as my biggest need is MPG so my initial search was for an Elantra or Corolla. She, like yours, wanted slightly more room with one consideration being her failing knees and getting in/out of the vehicle. So, with research I found the Sonata is really good for MPG among the "mid-size" segment. Maroon, Black, Grey, or light Blue would also be fine with me and allow for more options.
    So just a thought, given your comment about your wife's knees... 2010 Tucson?
    So just a thought, given your comment about your wife's knees... 2010 Tucson?

Oh man, you really want to confuse things. I don't have to cater to her EVERY need now, the welts from the rolling pin heal eventually. The Tucson idea isn't totally off the wall and it looks like a nice vehicle with similar MPG to the Sonata but Edmunds says over $20,000 before tax/title/fees and my entire purchase really has to be below $18,000. Would be a nice used option if it were about a year from now and there were more 2010's available.

Can I get an opinion on this: Sonata 2009 GLS I4 Auto w/sunroof (must be Convenience Package 2?), Certified w/29K miles asking $14,500.
    If they're asking $14,500, I'd not pay more than $13k for that car. I'd also make sure it wasn't a rental. At that mileage and age, its a possibility.
    If they're asking $14,500, I'd not pay more than $13k for that car. I'd also make sure it wasn't a rental. At that mileage and age, its a possibility.

Yes, it was a rental according to CarFax. Is that a big negative? I've always been pretty careful with rentals to avoid having to deal with damage issues but I guess folks probably drive them harder. I purchased a Plymouth van 11 years ago that was a rental for 19,000 miles beforehand and have been pretty pleased. Is the "Certified" status all that great an advantage?

Thanks much for the advice!
    Well, some people swear by them, and because they feel they've been maintained to a high standard. I personally don't trust them, because the people driving them have no investment in the longevity of the car. That's just a personal opinion, and not necessarily the right one.

The fact that it is certified is good for the 100k mile warranty, but the inspection is something that a good mechanic will do for, say, $75.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt; I'm just sharing my opinion of what I've learned from others.

:)
  • feifangongzifeifangongzi Member Posts: 11
    I am in houston and deal's offer is:
    2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS Auto

MSRP: $20,770

Dealer Discount: $1,823

Rebate: $2,500

Internet Price: $16,447 + Fees
    edited April 2010
    REF:6961
    IMO, not a good deal. Minimum 5000 off msrp on a 2010 now that the 2011's are out and popular. GLS autos are a dime a dozen and will be worth less than 14k the second you drive it off the lot! just my .02
    FWIW, the real deals were on the 2010 Limited's back in Feb but they are long gone...
    check truecar.com for your zip code and see what price is available; it's a great site
    If it has the Popular Equipment Package (Audio controls on the wheel, power seat, trip computer, etc) its likely a good deal, if not, I'd say its only mediocre. What are the "Fees?"