Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sporky944sporky944 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with others here on the tactic to use when negotiating. Contact internet managers and get a price up front before discussing trades. I bought mine at Ed Voyles in Atlanta. Great experience. In and out in about an hour. Lived up to everything they promised via email.
    Paid $22000, plus $599 "doc fee" , plus tax. Probably could have gotten a better price a few months ago but dealer inventory is low now. Almost no one had a Harbor gray SE left so I''m happy.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    A $599 "doc fee" is totally outragious!

Some states have placed a mandatory cap of $50 for doc fees. This, in my opinion, is wrong as no government should regulate what a business can charge for a service....that said, however, no dealer should charge such an outragious fee for a service that probably takes the salesman less than 15 miutes to complete.

I paid $99 back in 2009...only because the dealer said he wouldn't lower it as that was what he was charging everyone else.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited June 2011
    Living in Florida, that's the usual doc fee that we have to pay...outrageous, absolutely, but it is what it is. Dealers use this fee as extra profit and good luck trying to get this fee waived. I was lucky when we bought the '05 Mazda 3s six years ago and the internet guy just lowered the price of the car to make up for the doc fee. Floridians are not happy about these high doc fees but usually, we have no choice!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• abenaben Member Posts: 1
    Philpal,
    I have been following your posts with stevefromoz and others. I am also in Houston and interested in a Sonata limited turbo with nav. Please let me know if you have made a deal.
    Thanks,
    Ben
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    My Sonata Ltd. does not have the Nav, but has everything else. The MSRP was 26,250, and I got it for 23,000 +TTL. The car is ok, mpg is great, consistantly over 35 highway. However, make sure you test drive it over a rough asphalt road at highway speeds. The noise is terrible. I have 2500 miles on mine, like it pretty well, otherwise, but will probably trade it on something else pretty quickly, because of the road/tire noise. It is the noisiest vehicle I have ever owned.
  • woost007woost007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Ppl,

Finally closed on a 2011 Sonata SE with NAV and sunroof. 3 yr 12K miles. 1500 down with 232/pm (inclusive of tax, title and fees). However, the vehicle had 2000 miles on it as one of the managers was using it. So they took of $200 from the residual. I will still get 36K miles for my lease and they also threw in 3 oil free changes. My question is is there any negative implication (for me) of the 2000 miles that were on the car in the situation a) return the vehicle after lease end or b) lease end purchase? Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    I live in Brooklyn NY and i am trying to buy a Sonata GLS with automatic tranny and no other options. I haggled and finally walkedout of this deal,

$21,000 for GLS with Automatic tranny, 21K is the TOTAL OTD price, it includes taxes (8.75%, title registration of $300 and whatever else), 2K downpayment and i think 3+% for 48 months loan. I offered $19,500 and i was ready to buy it right there on the spot but they refused, should i offer $500 more here or is this it?
  • brianb50brianb50 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2011
    Go to TRUECAR.com put in the model and options. Truecar's price is usually a good price to pay. My experience in NY was bad most dealers on Long Island wanted MSRP. We got are Sonata Limited at a slightly better price then true car.
    I didn't go into the dealer with the true car offer in hand,but I had an idea of what we wanted to pay. Good Luck shopping in NY....
    You should be able to pickup the Limited w/NAV for under 25,000. dealers on Long Island wanted MSRP. Drove to NJ and got car for almost $4000 of MSRP. Good Luck
  • cruiserdudecruiserdude Member Posts: 5
    Can you please give me some tips how you got your deal? I'm trying to get a new Sonata as i love the new look. I would appreciate your experience in purchasing my first Sonata!

THANKS!
  • jbramsjbrams Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    It's all complicated by limited inventory and the days away arrival of the 2012 models (arriving locally over the next 10 days apparently). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are perhaps a dozen Sonata Hybrids in the area.

I want a red one, but I got a great price for a sky blue model. It comes with the floor mats, ipod cable, and standard stuff (not the extra $4500 package).Factory Invoice is 25,398
    MSRP is $26,545
    Truecar prices it locally at $25,698 (Santa Rosa)
    Future Hyundai in Concord offered it for $25,750

Saleswoman Chong was very helpful and pleasant, though the manager (perhaps in his role as a "heavy") was unnecessarily aggressive. They did allow me to take it home for my wife to see but she agreed that the color wasn't great (we love the red).

What do you think? Should I jump or wait for the 2012 models or wait for a better price?
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited June 2011
    Don't buy it if you both hate it!

On the other hand if it were my decision, I would keep the sky blue car and enjoy a color that is eisier to keep looking new, cooler in the heat and doesn't create all the drama of visible scratches and rock chips like a red car does.

The new Hyundai metalic red is stunning tho...(when it's just been detailed)

Your quoted price is probably spot on considering all the market pressure for 40 mpg vehicles these days.
  • 161river161river Member Posts: 1
    I got mine at Central Valley Hyundai in Modesto. They gave the same deal and located the exact color I wanted
    Just emailed their internet sales rep, it's 2 hours away from me, but for the right color and price ...
    Thanks for the info 161 river.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I am in the market for a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.4liter with no extra options. What is the lowest price I can get before ttl? I am in Northern CA. Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Maybe you can be of help. I am aggressively looking for a new 2011 Sonata SE with no extra options. Do you know of any good dealerships in the Bay Area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! So far the best quote I got is $23,800 plus ttl, which I think is a rip off!
  • benjamin9876benjamin9876 Member Posts: 17
    $23,800 for a 2.4 SE without options?
    that is insane.
    are you in bay area?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Not sure where you ended up, but $21k OTD with NYC taxes, assume a $75 doc fee and $200 for plates is right at $19k selling price.

I work at a Hyundai store in jersey, and unless there was loyalty money involved we'd pass on that deal. Inventory over the past 2 weeks has dropped to near zero levels.... we sold over 80 Sonatas last month. We have 9 in stock. What I'm seeing is a lot of local dealers are getting a lot less aggressive of late.

$19,500 OTD? That's closer to a $17,600 selling price. Used ex-rental 11s are doing that wholesale.
    how come your interest rate is so high? is your credit a little banged up? i think you got a good price. i think i would seriously consider 21k otd. show me how you did that.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Small world. I just picked up a 2012 Sonata SE from Ed Voyles in Atlanta. I paid $26,200 out the door, but I had $4500 negative equity on my trade in, so I can't complain at all. I had tried to make a deal with Cherokee Hyundai, but they were over 30k for the same vehicle, as was Cobb Co Kia for the Optima. Go figure.
    Before you buy the navigation, check it with polarized sun glasses on. I noted a really weird discoloration of the screen with the glasses on. Of course if you don't wear polarized sunglasses, this is not an issue.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Are 2012 Sonatas in? Is there any change in model? Hope they raise the front passenger seat. My wife could not see the road in 2011 Sonata.

If they don't fix it than I see that as major reason why we will not buy Sonata. Great styling, lots of features and great MPG and all that @ a reasonable price.
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    I know of another reason why you might to reconsider buying a Sonata. I have a 2011 Limited, with 2750 miles, and I have to say, it is the noisiest car on the road that I have ever had. On certain road surfaces, forget trying to carry on a conversation, or listen to the radio. Dealer is no help, tire dealer is no help, either. I do believe it is the Kumho tires.
    Yes, the 2012's are in. As far as I can tell, not much in the way of changes. My wife is 5 ft short and has no problem seeing the road in this car. The tires are noisy on some surfaces, but I got such a good deal, I figured I could always change them out if so inclined.
  • azureskyazuresky Member Posts: 11
    Can't find a 2012 anywhere in Southern Calif. What state are you in?
    edited July 2011
    Just outside of Atlanta, GA. The armpit of the south.
    Just bought from Stevens Creek Momentum Hyundai. GLS with popular package 2: $20,908.80 before doc fee, tax, tile, license.

They had a couple others; they're dropping everywhere in California as of three days ago. Helped by youngest associate, he was great, very helpful.
    that seems really high. couple posts back another poster passed on 21k otd price. is it for a 2012?
    Yes, it was a 2012. Beat the truecar offers throughout California for a pop pack 2 GLS from 2011. Happy with the price, at least for my region.
  • jkleemeierjkleemeier Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I'm looking to benchmark a price that I just received for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Limited with the following options: all weather mats, cargo mat, cargo net, ipod cable. I'm not going for the navigation package. Car has all of the elements of the Limited Pkg - leather, heated seats, etc.

For these features, I have a price of $25k prior to taxes & tags. Can someone tell me if they think this is a good price for Doylestown/Bucks County, PA. Also, what are the going "fees" for this transaction? I'm not interested in paying dealer fees so they can make up their profit. It's been a while since I last purchased a car.

No trade - cash deal.
    Thanks!
  • joeblowjoeblow Member Posts: 11
    From Route 44 Hyundai in Raynham.

They were the least expensive from the start. I dealt with the internet sales manager and he was very straightforward with his pricing and availability.

$500 below invoice and $348 Doc Fee. Had some extra goodies like floor mat, cargo net, etc..
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I have a Limited with 4500 miles and I and several friends have no problem with road noise. My car has Hankook tires on it so maybe its the Kumho causing you problem.
    Seems high We bought a Limited with NAV for $24,800 . Truecar price was 25,100 when we purchased just over 3 weeks ago, I just checked today and the price went up $1000. Must not be getting Incentives. The MSRP was 28,800. Did you check the true car price. Also I purchased the car in New Jersey..Good luck
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Too High in my opinion. Just checking Truecar for the pittsburgh area and that looks to be about $800 more than a dealer in the area is willing to sell for.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • jkleemeierjkleemeier Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I think I will try NJ. Which dealership did you work with?
  • skepticmanskepticman Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide between the 2012 SE w/Nav+Sunroof vs. 2011 SE 2.0T with Nav+Sunroof. The price I'm getting is a few hundred dollars cheaper on the 2012 SE.

I'm leaning towards the 2012 for the following reasons:
    - No stigma of first year of new design
    - I don't need Turbo as I'm less likely to get speeding ticket with heavy foot on pedal
    - Nav screen is a little better & brighter
    - BlueLink + Rear Camera

Any thoughts??
  • acct21acct21 Member Posts: 1
    Austin, Texas. Silver SE 2.0T, with mud flaps (like we need 'em -- it hasn't rained in nine months) and floor mats.

Paid $24,495 before TT&L with a $180 doc fee. That, according to my calculations, was invoice... on a 2012 SE 2.0T.

Jackpot.
    I went to Flemington Hyundai. Good Luck
    I went to a dealer and told him complete truth, I was offered a mid trim level Mazda 6 for $19,500 and 0% financing same for mid level Fusion (but dealer did say that financing will be around 3%) both from Manhattan Auto Group.

That’s where I came up with $19,500, plus I was asking for a 2011, a week or two before 2012s came out. Mazda and Ford are in one dealership, the guy still calls me and wants to make a deal on a 6 or a Fusion.
    If you reply was aimed at me, i simply went to a Ford/Mazda guy and told him i am very interested in buying, test drove both and told him to give me his offer but i'd have to see Sonata first. He made his offer, i went to Plaza Hyundai in Brooklyn and told the dealer absolute truth and i asked him to match it. Sonata sells well so there's no 0% financing and my credit is pretty good, but he said that is their interest rate. Also their fees were $300, which are high. I told him to give me an OTD on Base with auto tranny and on Base with Auto tranny and that convenience package. He went to his boss and gave me 21K or 21k+$750.

At Plaza sales guy was Kyrie and at Manhattan William something.
  • sonataorcamrysonataorcamry Member Posts: 5
    So, for 2012 Sonatas, did the passenger seat get raised and did the seat fabric get an upgrade so it wears better? Or does it make more sense to buy the 2011 GLS with Pop pkg than the 2012 if there weren't any changes?
    Lynn
  • jpiarull2011jpiarull2011 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    To JKleemeier:
    My mother and I were searching for a decent 4 or 6 cylinder sedan with leather seating, electronics (ie power windows/locks, sunroof, climate control, power adjustable seat), abs, esc, traction control, and push-button ignition to name a few, etc., without compromising on gas mileage. Nissan Altima 2.5s, with similar package, was starting at $26,610, with aforementioned features (or very close), while Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4L was priced at $26,345. Hyundai was discounted down to $25,645 (Global Automall US 22 in Green Brook, NJ), car had alloy rims and wheel locks pre-installed. Terrific pick-up w/ acceleration. Nissan did not discount Altima for similar package, yet a couple days after we placed a deposit on the Sonata, Nissan salesman claims he's willing to take up to $3,000 off sticker price for similar package (Somerset Nissan US 22 Somerville, NJ). Kicker with this dealership is free oil changes and loaner cars for life of ownership, yet car MUST be bought at that dealership and serviced there only. Anyway, with the Hyundai, we countered their sticker price with $22,500. Dealer said no, we countered again with $24,000, which they did. Silver Sonata with gray leather interior and aforementioned features, with all sales taxes and throw-in fees, total was slightly over $26,200. Very good package deal, only feature we did not choose was navigation and back-up camera/sensors (which honestly are unnecessary, if you cannot drive without those reliably on your own, you shouldn't be driving the car in my own opinion). This was a 2011, last one they had in stock, 2012s' were all they had beyond this one btw.

I apologize for the length of the review, hopefully it is helpful to you!
  • anandchicagoanandchicago Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2011
    Planning to pick this up tomorrow. Sticker is 21570. The price they offered is below invoice for 2012 gls. Please advise if that's a good price. I was hoping to get 2011 though and some dealers who have the are quoting more than what he's selling me a 2012 for.
  • bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    you done well,i just picked mine up on friday from ohio,i paid,25720 before all the fees and ect.good luck on your new car.
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2011
    Need help please. I would like to purchase a 2010 Sonata 4dr. sedan 2.4 AUTO GLS with the popular package #2. Total MSRP $22,205 including destination. What would you consider a good deal before any taxes/fees etc??? I live in the Washington DC area and would greatly appreciate any and all advice!
    which dealer in chicago if you don't mind answering? are there any extra options involved with that price?
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, meant to say "2012" in the body of the message 7896. Still looking for anyone who has purchased one.
  • azureskyazuresky Member Posts: 11
    2012 Sonata Limited with Navigation 27,995 + Tax & Licence. What do you think, good deal or not?
    Thanks
  • amartnamartn Member Posts: 1
    After watching this forum and getting some internet price quotes, I went to Allen Hyundai in So Orange Co., CA to see what sort of deal I could get. The best internet quote was about $1600 off list, but it looked like many posts on this forum were getting about $2000 off list, though this was mostly for 2011's. Once the salesman learned I was an Auto Club member, he immediately offered $800 below invoice, approx $2300 below sticker. I took the deal. Looks like an Auto Club or Costco membership can quickly get you to what seems to be a pretty good deal.
  • mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    First I contacted the interent department at Bernardi in Brockton. Went in and test drove a couple of cars and spent a little time with the salesman.
    When I wasn't thrileld with the price, I went online and emailed the Interenet Sales department of many dealers within 75 miles that had the model and equipment I wanted.
    When I got a better deal (by a decent margin) I called my salesman to thank him for his assistance, but there was another dealer, XYZ within driving distances who offered a significant savings (real price) and that because their price was so much lower, I had to go to that dealer to investigate.
    Within a half an hour, I got a call back with a price $700-$800 less than the other dealer I was going to give a shot.

Bottom line, try to pick a car that they have a few of. (They had 6 or 7 of the exact same car at Bernardi) Then do a little web searching. You will be surprised how you can get a damn good price without even stepping into a dealership nowadays.