Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sleelmmmsleelmmm Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    I went to a Hyundai dealer in Salt Lake City, Utah and was offered the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited, Sparkling Ruby exterior with Camel (Beige) interior, with Tech Package (navigation, panoramic sunroof, backup camera, upgraded stereo) for the following:

MSRP: $29,850

Selling Price: 25,850
    Cash back: -500
    Tax: 1756.96
    Document Fee: $299
    -------------------------------
    Total: $27,649.96

What do you guys (and gals) think? Should I aim to get the total price lower? And the above is only if I finance with the dealer at a couple points above market rate for 6 months, thereby paying about $322 in interest each month for the first 6 months, or just over $1900 in interest for the first 6 months. They said if I paid in cash that the price of the car would be $1,200 higher.
  • kenspotkenspot Member Posts: 2
    The NYC dealer ended up with something better after an email negotiation.

Here's what I ended up with for my 2012 Sonata GLS with PEP, Remote Start & Floor Mats:

$20,334.04    GLS including Dest Fee & options
        $250.00    Adv Fee
       -$500.00    Trade In
     $1,782.46     Sales Tax
     -$1,000.00     Rebate with 0% financing for 3 yrs
        $133.50    Plate Transfer Fee
    -----------------------------------
    $21,000.00      Out the Door
  • piezonpiezon Member Posts: 23
    Super deal. I paid $400 more but I have white which is an add'l $200. But, my doc & registration fees were about $200 less so it looks like we walked out the door with the exact same price. Awesome. Enjoy!!!
  • vietmike82vietmike82 Member Posts: 3
    This is my first time posting and also will possibly be my first Hyundai purchase of the 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T - Non-NAV/Sunroof.

I received an offer of $23,250 "Out the Door" broken down as:

$21,095 Initial Quote with Rebates
    + $775 Freight
    + $389 Processing Fee
    + $631.77 Tax (3% in VA)
    + $50/60 Registration/Title/Emissions
    ------------------------------------------
    $22,950.77
    + $1,400 (I didn't qualify for Rebates: College, Military, Hyundai Owner)
    - $500 72 mos finance rebate Hyundai Motor Finance
    - $600 Dealer Holdback
    ------------------------------------------
    $23,250 "Out the Door" - Includes Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Mud Guards, & Remote Start

Their dealer includes a program, Lifetime Engine Guarantee, Lifetime VA State Inspections, Lifetime car washes, 1 yr warranty on Interior and Exterior, Discounts on service, wheel locks, nitrogen in tires, and pinstripe(which I don't know why I'd need)

Is this a good deal?
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Something must be out of whack on your low quote.
    I have searched the 'net and this is the best deal I can come up with.....(and this is not an "out the door" price.

2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L Turbo 4-Cyl Automatic SE MSRP: $28,955.00 Savings off MSRP: $665.00
    Internet Special: $28,290.00
    this is in Texas.

If I were you I would grab the deal.
    Yikes, that's pretty crazy, it sounds like a SE Turbo with Navigation the price you're seeing, but even so forums show about $27-29k out the door. My offer was without Navigation. MSRP should only be around $25k, somebody is price gouging or charging a ridiculous up charge.

I first started with researching different forums to get an idea of what people were paying and around $23.5k was average, then got quotes from dealers in the area - 70 miles, told everyone the lowest quote then went from there. Double checked using True Car and this was all through email back and forth. I finally emailed back a dealer who said the initial quote of $21k was a great number and she couldn't do it, rationalized what I thought it should be out the door and she soon found she could do it.

I don't see how a car could cost more in Texas other than limited quantity and because Texas is so big, depending on where you live dealerships are probably few and far between. If you wanted the car try True Car, join a group that offers Hyundai Circle Plan A pricing(employee's family/friend pricing), and then quote, play against and rationalize.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    You think that's high?

I just Googled 2013 hyundai Sonata Turbo SE and found that 'with navi' a dealer in Washington state wanted over $33,000!

That's an OMG if I ever saw one!
  • sonata16sonata16 Member Posts: 1
    That 's Killer Deal..Can you post the dealer details ...plz..
    I'm picking it up tonight financing through HMF 72 mos. with Pohanka Hyundai in Fredericksburg, VA.

I actually got them to drop another $250.00 to make it $23k OTD.

And my mistake, there is no remote start only with blue link. But in any case I'm pretty sure that's still a good deal.
  • herculessunherculessun Member Posts: 1
    Hey all I need some advice.
    I havent had to buy a car in forever...

My ideal car is the 2.4L Hyundai Sonata Limited w/ Nav Package
    Black / Wine Interior.

Nyc dealers seem to start them at 31 / 32000 when running the numbers
    and making it out to be 512 x 60mo or 467 x 72 mo with a 4/5K down payment.
    My Ideal payments are 300-450 / 3-5 yrs
    This is in NY so tax bumps it up a couple of thousand.

Ive been going to diffferent dealers all week and I need a car pretty soon by the weekend or by the end of the month.
    Dealers dont seem to have too many of the limited in stock much less the exact one I want.
    I was thinking maybe I should just get a cheaper car like a Honda Civic
    and use that for the next year with low monthly payments (possibly higher interest rate)
    untill I have saved more to put on a down payment for the Sonata.
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2012
    If you are okay with driving down to NJ or PA, you might wanna check out the prices that piezon got (Post no. 8302, 8306) for similar specs. Also another user got a similar price in Utah (Post no. 8320 ). Request quotes frm NJ and PA dealers and take it to your local dealer to see if they'll match it.
  • apriljayhawkapriljayhawk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a factory-certified 2010 Sonata GLS, standard package, 6400 miles, for $15,270. (Location: Kansas City) The car is in excellent condition and the carfax showed no issues. Good deal??
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, that's probably close to the car's sale price when new, if the original owner got a good discount for that time. But it was a different world then, for Hyundai and for the used car market. Amazing what low-miles 3-year-old cars are going for these days! The certified warranty is a nice extra on a used car. Did you get the bumper-to-bumper warranty extended to 10 years/100k miles, or just the 10-year powertrain warranty as on a new Sonata?

Since you already bought it, it's really too late to worry about whether or not you got a good deal. Enjoy the car!
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    FWIW - Fitzmall.com in Maryland lists a 2013 2.4L Lmtd with Premium Package with MSRP of $29,955 for $26,460.
  • rowdirangadurowdirangadu Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mike,
    Could you please send a scan or photo of the OTD price of 23K which shows the MSRP? I am trying to get hold of the dealer to match your great price, but he needs to know the MSRP, color and any special accessories you got?
    It would be helpful if i get that quote.

Thanks a ton
  • jasonatajasonata Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Hello,

I just purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata/PEP $23045 MSRP (Front and cargo Mat, Cargo net, Ipod cable, Remote Start and Mug guards)

$20500
    +$620 Taxes
    +$229 Dealer Fee
    +$40 Tags
    - $2000 incentives ($1000 Bonus Cash, $500 Owner Loyalty, $500 Eco trade)
    Also I got 13500 for my trade 2009 4cyl Sonata Limited 57000 miles

$19389 - $6000 trade equity = 13389 OTD.

Good Deal?
  • sagnik_jissagnik_jis Member Posts: 1
    I am getting the following deal for 2013 Limited with Technology Package for lease of 36 months 12000 Miles/Yr.
    $325 per month. And I am getting $5000 cash-back from my trade-in 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (Fully Loaded) with unibody damage.
    I am getting a similar deal of $268 per month for 2013 Sonata SE with Nav+Sunroof.
    This is a 4th july deal, so need response fast.
    What I essentially think is that they are giving me $7000 for my trade-in, and paying $2000 for the down payment.
    Please tell me if this is a good deal or not.
    P.S: the SE full price came to 25700, and Limited came to 26800.
  • qnguyen17qnguyen17 Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys, i´ve been following this forum and I need advice from an offer that I received. The dealer offered 23.4k for a 2013 sonata se with push to start, no navi or leather seats with lifetime warranty. Is this a good deal? I offered 22.5K but they refused. What do you guys think is a good price? I wanted 2012 but they ran out of the color I wanted. Thanks!
    what's the sticker price???
    msrp was $24,000ish. After taxes and fees, it came to roughly $26,000. They want $23,400 otd which includes the $500 financing rebate and $400 college grad rebate. BF is telling me to wait until the end of the year bc I can get it for cheaper...
  • stardom2k2stardom2k2 Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2013 Sonata SE MSRP $24,410.
    $22,500 OTD after rebates, taxes, and fees.

(Traded a 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 57K miles for ~$17,500.) Considering I lost about $1,000-$1,500 in what I expected in trade, looks like your quote of $23,400 is right around me. You could probably do better but I'm not a good haggler.
    Hi! Thank you for the reply. My max price is $22,500 which is what you paid. $23,400 is the lowest I got after talking to 2 dealers. I am going to another dealer this weekend so hopefully they can do better. unfortunately i'm not good at haggling either :(. Did your car come with any other options such as floor mats. Cargo net and so on?
  • stardom2k2stardom2k2 Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP included Mud Guard $95, Cargo Mat $95, Carpeted Floor Mats $100. They gave me All Weather Mats (Worth $115) instead of the the Carpeted... saving me $15! Which I asked for. Haha...

I don't know where you are but I bought mine in PA with sales tax of 6%... if it makes any difference. It's also not white which costs $200 more.

You might also try going back to the higher of the first two dealers and let 'em know you got an offer for ~$23.4 and see what they say?

I was little stressed about it last night after signing all the papers - thinking what if I could have done better... :shades: ehhh it's done... just going to enjoy it.
    I live in GA and our sales tax is 7%. First dealer called back today and offered $23k. I'm waiting until Sunday to go to second dealer to see if they go lower. Ideally I want $22.5 which I think they can do. I kinda blew my chances with first dealer BC I told him 2nd could go litter and he wants it in writing for him to beat the offer. Rookie mistake BC its first time buying a car :(
  • sonataltd2013sonataltd2013 Member Posts: 10
    Was $25, 750 out of door price? I bought a 2013 Sonata limited 2.4L(no Nav) OTD yesterday for 25400 in NJ (7% tax). Good deal?
    Enjoy your new ride!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2012
    hi piezon, live in staten island n.y looking to buy 2013 sonata limited can you give me dealer and contact name of dealership you purchased sonata the invoice on the limited is 25,580 w del charge i,m shooting for 500 below invoice i'll contact about 20 dealers around ny/ nj area my email is bdarl21 aol.. tks brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Has anyone purchased a Sonata for invoice or below in the ny/ nj area? looking to buy with in the next month. Has anyone gone to BRAD BENSON DEALERSHIP in N.J. he advertises 30% of the dealers M.S.R.P any coments or thoughs on dealership. THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPOND BRIAN

edited July 2012
    whats the name and state of dealership you purchased tks

I got my car in PA but they matched the price given to me by a dealership in NJ, about 25 miles closer to Staten Island. Go on their website and send an e-mail to their Internet Mgr who will give you his best price on-line. It's Muller Hyundai in Stewartsville, NJ just outside phillipsburg. Good luck
    No. $25,750 was the final sale price after the $500 finance cash back. On top of that was 6% tax plus a little over $200 in doc fees, title, plates, registration, etc. However, mine included the pano sun roof & tech package (Nav + back-up camera) which is a $2,900 option. Without that tech package, I figure my OTD price would have been right around $25,000 even so it sounds like you got a pretty good deal as well. The fact that they let us drive the car home at those prices means they made some money so who knows if we could have gotten it for a few hundred less but who cares. The car is a dream.
    Can some people respond to the gas mileage they've been getting with their 2012 or 2013 Sonata 2.4??
    Also, did you notice an improvement in mpg after the car was broken in? Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,185

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Agree on your last point about the couple of hundred dollars. Your's is a great price still. My choice was a harbor gray metallic with black interior. The dealer is still locating the car and probably I will need to wait a week before I get the car. Really excited about the car. Good to know it's a dream.
    We waited 4 1/2 weeks for our car and it was worth every agonizing day. We LOVE the car. Ours is white with tan leather and the black pano roof. Looks & drives nicer than the Lexus ES 300 we traded in. The back-up camera is a great fature that I initially didn't think we needed. And anyone who says the turbo is the way to go hasn't really done a good test drive on the 2.4L model.
    I was cruising at 85 mph the other day and thought I was doing 70. I didn't even have the pedal pressed that far down. It's one peppy vehcile. Good luck and happy waiting.
    Hi everyone,

One of the dealer has made a counter offer of $23,000 otd. MSRP was about $24,400 for a 2013 SE with push to start. 7% tax in GA. Is this a reasonable offer? I just feel like it could be less. (No other dealer is willing to match this price) My bf thinks that I am asking for too much and this a good offer. I am thinking about waiting until Black Friday or even Christmas to buy a car. Do you guys think prices will drop lower by then? I am in no rush to buy a car, but I would love to one as soon as possible. Please give me your opinions. Thank you!
  • yumyum103yumyum103 Member Posts: 3
    hi there! are you qualified for any rebates like the $500 eco trade, military or hyundai financing? i am looking to purchase an SE or Limited 2.4L this week and if i can get your $23K OTD for the SE i'd be very happy. i am only qualified for the $500 hyundai financing bonus. i am in nevada btw
    Hello! the quote includes $500 rebate for financing and $400 for college grad rebate. I'm trying to get a dealer to do $23,000 and then apply the rebates but so far no luck.
    edited July 2012
    I just went and helped my dad get a 2013 2.4L Sonata SE OTD for $23,400 here in NV (8.1% tax) with a sticker price of $24,775. Selling price on the car with all the extras was about $21,600. He only qualified for the $500 bonus financing (which basically got wiped out by the $499 doc fee!!!). It included cargo mat, mud guards, wheel locks, all weather floor mats, rear bumper applique and auto dimming mirror w/ homelink plus limo tint, lifetime oil change and car wash. I think we did a pretty decent job. Only took less than 3 hours.
    Wow that's great! Mine came with alot less options. I think only floor mats, cargo net and something else. The extra options were about $300. I think i'm going to hold out. $23,000 sounds not so good after hearing your deal considering I qualify for an extra $400 rebate and my tax is less. Can you give me some tips? My first time buying a car and it doesn't help that i'm girl so they don't take me very seriously :(
    You had to wait 4 1/2 weeks ? !! So did the dealer locate the car at another dealership for you or was it custom ordered from Hyundai? My dealer told me he could locate within 1-2 weeks and I took his word. Now I wonder if I would have to go through the pain of waiting.
    Since they already are giving it to you for $23k otd, just get some extras if they don't wanna budge on the price anymore. get other SE's with slightly higher sticker price and settle for the $23k. don't be afraid to walk out if you don't get what you want
    I have walked out on the dealer once so that's why he offered $23k. I've been communicating with him through email now. I guess I could try asking for extras but I Don't know if I should wait a couple of months and then try negotiating again. What do you think? I don't mind waiting if it can save me money. Only problem is my rebates expire end of July...thank you for your replies so far.
  • sonoma34sonoma34 Member Posts: 8
    Go to fitzmall.com on the internet, price as low as 20,993.00. I printed specs on a 2013 GLS/pzev and went to a Connecticut dealer and said if they can match the price I would buy the car. Picked it up the next day. Do not be intimadated. Let them know if they can't do it you will travel to Florida or Maryland to make the deal.

Don't wait until November.
  • atsekhanatsekhan Member Posts: 1
    Could you indicate which connecticut dealership you talked to, please? I am also looking for a Huyndai, and CT dealerships can be hard to negotiate with.
  • sonoma34sonoma34 Member Posts: 8
    I spoke with three dealerships in CT. Last one whose pricing in 2010 for an elantra was out in left field, met the Fitzmall price on the 2013 Sonata. It is in Meriden. Ask to speak with Mike R. tell him David sent you to give him more gray hair.
  • ajlorealajloreal Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    Hi can anyone please let me know the best price for a 2013 sonata 2.4L w/nav in NJ area. Appreciate your help.
  • jetblacjetblac Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Here I am, 52 months after I purchased my 2008 Sonata GLS, and 3 after it got totaled. It is shocking to see how high the prices have gotten since then. $3000 average. I got mine for $17500 OTD. (and that was high). Hyundai has come a long way. I commend them on the prices they are now able to command, but Depreciation Still Sucks. Hopefully you guys are fixing that as we speak.
    are you talking the Limited with leather & pano roof??
    Either way, go on Muller Hyundai's website in Philipsburg, NJ and check out their inventory. While navigating, you shoudl get a pop up screen from the internet mgr. asking if he can help you. Simply respond with the model you want with all the options and he'll get back to you with a great price. It was better than any price i got in PA but I finally got my local dealership to match it.
  • ajlorealajloreal Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I recieved the following quote. The vehicle has sunroof and leather seated. Is this a good price? Also what options can i ask while i am there (free-oil changes. weather mats...)

MSRP: $29,810
    INVOICE: $28,118
    -$3,313 (Global Discount)
    -$1,000 ($500 HMFC Rebate, $500 Eco-Trade Bonus)
    -$500 (loyalty if qualified)

SALE PRICE: $24,997

Appreciate your help.
    That sounds like a pretty good price to me. I didn't qualify for 2 of those $500 rebates (just the Hyundai Finance $500 rebate). My MSRP was $30, 150 and my final sales price, after the one rebate, was $25, 750.
    As for the "best" price, I don't know if there is such a thing. If they let you drive the car off the lot at an agreed upon price, then they made "something" on the transaction, but how much we'll never know. The bottom line is if you love the car, just go with the deal you feel good about.
    I looked at other makes before deciding on a Hyundai and the discounts I was seeing didn't even come close to the deal I got on my Sonata so I'm happy with my decision and my purchase price. Good luck & enjoy the ride. It really is a very nice car and we love ours.