Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD DEAL. THE WAY I LOOK AT BUYING CARS IS,,,, IF I COULD BUY A CAR FOR BELOW INVOICE AND MAKE THEM GIVE ME HALF BACK ON THE DEALER HOLDBACK I'M FIME WITH THAT ITS A GOOD DEAL.. SOMETIMES YOU COULD DO BETTER.. YOUR 1300 BELOW INVOICE PLUS INCENTIVES IS A GOOD DEAL..IF YOU DECIDE ON THE SONATA PULL THE TRIGGER THE LAST DAY OF ANY MONTH. TRY YOUR BEST TO KNOCK OFF THE DOC FEE'S IF YOU CANT MAKE DEALERSHIP CUT THEM IN HALF OR TELL HIM GOOD BYE... I CALLED PIEZON'S DEALERSHIP WERE HE PURCHASED HIS SONATA FOR $1750 BELOW INVOICE ,, BUT 1200 BELOW INVOICE WAS THERE BEST OFFER TO ME. I MAY HAVE RECIEVED A BETTER DEAL BUT MOST OF THE DEALERS KNEW I WAS NOT BUYING THAT MOMENT.. AND THAT WOULD OF CHANGED THE GAME ALITTLE... GOOD LUCK

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

If you could wait a few more months on a sonata there will be better deals out there... As the Hyundia dealers start getting alot of the 2013 on there lots they will need to sell them fast.. like you said the new Altima and new 2013 Accords are out,, and are just as good of choice if not better. my mother inlaw opted for the 2013 kia optima instead of the sonata bought it for her on july, 31 for 500 below invoice. if i bought it now i could get a much better deal.. Anyway i think the new 2013 altima would be a better choice than the sonata,, handles better more fun to drive, better gas mpg, and less noise in the cabin .....but hyundia does have the much better warranty.. good luck on your choice............brian

• xfastxfast Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking at a 2013 SE without nav/sunroof package. Sticker price is $24,565 and they quoted me $19,688 + they said another $500 if I qualify for loyalty cash which I do so $19,188 +TTL. I feel like they are close to their best deal at this point? Does this sound like a great deal?

I was also considering a Honda Accord 2 door coupe and was quoted $19,646 for an LX-S that sticker price is $25,325. Any input on which is a better deal and why is appreciated. Leaning towards the Sonata because I know the dealer and they always give me top dollar for trade in, have never worked with the other dealer but doubt they would give me as good of a trade.

Both cars are over $5k off sticker price, so I'm trying to hurry up and decide before they are gone.
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    My question is this: When the sales rep made you that offer, did he have to ask his manager or did he just make you that offer?

If he didn't go to his manager during your negotiation then there is still room to go further. This is always the case. I don't care what he offered.

Make another offer such that it forces him to say something like "I need to go to my manager with a price like that"

Steve
  • ajr1775ajr1775 Member Posts: 33
    Is the Honda a 2012 as well? Regardless, you could probably squeeze another $1,000.00 out of that Hyundai dealership.
  • xfastxfast Member Posts: 3
    Its the internet sales manager. However, I have purchased 3 cars at this dealership before, and the guy I bought from the other 3 times has been promoted to general sales manager. I wanted to get them close so that now I can go in with the quote and tell the internet manager I would like for Mike (general sales manager) to come visit with me. He knows me by my first name because my first purchase there was one of his first sales and then we bought an SUV from him a month later.

I think Mike will take it down a little further, I just was hoping to find out about how much.
  • iugrad10iugrad10 Member Posts: 5
    I got internet quotes in Chicago area and the best one is:

Price: $18,400 ($1000 hyundai finance rebate and $500 motozuma match)
    Doc fees: $162
    Plate: $10
    Tax: $1,302 (7%)
    Total: $19,899

Does this sound like a decent deal?
    Tip: never just accept the Internet deal. Always seek a lower price. I would always make an offer at least $1500 less than that. Be firm.
    Steve
  • chicityguychicityguy Member Posts: 2
    Its okay. You can definitely take that quote to another dealership and ask them to beat it by $500. Also, fyi, the doc fee is negotiable. They will try to say it is set by law, but the law only caps the amount.
  • greymattersgreymatters Member Posts: 4
    hi there!
    i completely am on board with you.. the kind of prices people have bought their cars for in this forum is a good 3-4k less than what i can get anyone to come down to in phily :(
    also i love altimas.. i have had one before and thoroughly enjoyed it.this is purely vanity thats making me look at sonatas!!
    even after financing options i am not ok with the price.. i am not eligible for any of the rebates or loyalty programs ,as is.
    either wait a bit longer or maybe flirt with the sales guy! nah..think i will wait and also look at altimas! if only they had the fiery red in them i would be sold..
    Invoice minus 3% minus $1500 is more like it should be.

Personally I wouldn't take the deal.
    Steve
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    Is the Sonata's sparkling ruby very different compared to Altima's Cayenne red ? I googled for real images and they look very similar. Maybe I have to look at them in person side by side to notice the difference.

I qualify for the Sonata's grad program which gives me additional $400 off and I was looking to get the price here WITH the grad rebate; which means I was ready to pay about $400 more on the sale price for the car. (so that the OTD price remains the same). It looks like the only way to get that would be to talk directly to the manager and tell him that you are ready to buy if they could get the trim/options/color at your price.

But now, I am leaning towards the Altima 2.5SL. I just saw on the Altima forum some one paid 1800 below invoice for the 2013 SL with Tech, which I thought was a great price. And that did not include any direct manufacturer incentives.
  • greymattersgreymatters Member Posts: 4
    hello!
    ah,yes there is surely a difference in the colors ,the sonata being more "red" than the altima..the online pictures dont do much justice..
    i love the altimas being so so smooth overall.. i drove a 2011 sonata and there was some pulling then i tried the 2010 and had the same issues.. so when i finally drove the 2013 i was already dreading the same,it wasnt to be.but it still left me feeling a bit edgy..
    on the other hand,the altimas are smooth as ever!

1800 below invoice SL with tech?? why are we not one of those people posting one of these messages!! :)
    some of the deals people quote makes me think i am not doing something right!!!

i think i am gonna put off this whole thing for 5 months and revisit in march ,birthday months are meant to be impulsive ! so maybe thats the way to go... :)
  • earlecearlec Member Posts: 5
    Got an e-quote on a GLS for $17,135 (MSRP $21,670). I know tax, reg & Destination charges will be tacked on. Past reads say this price can still be lowered. Really true? Do I hold fast and say NO to Doc fees? The time isn't perfect right now to buy but the price seems too good to pass up. I live in NY and dealer is in NJ.Any suggestions?
  • alphaiitalphaiit Member Posts: 7
    Thats sounds like a great price. However, they may have included some discounts which you may or may not qualify for. Make sure you check all the details.
  • earlecearlec Member Posts: 5
    Does the Base GLS have wheel covers or alloy wheels (
    as shown in all broucheres & descriptions)?
  • ekg2ekg2 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2013 Limited with navigation for $25,395 + tax and fees. This included the $1000 financing rebate. The msrp was $29,910. I went to at least 4 other dealers asking them to beat or even meet this price and the next best offer I received was about $1500 more. I'm very happy with the car and the price.
    Question: Besides sales tax and license fees, what other fees did you pay?

Good work, contacting 4 dealers. Way to go.
    Thx
    Steve
  • sunnymoneysunnymoney Member Posts: 5
    Hi EKG and other great named Steve,

I went to this forum before I just bought my 2013 sonata black on black limited with tech package and I learned a lot as well as going to 4 different dealers in NH and contacting atleast 4 others so 8 total in NH and MA.

I walked out of 2 dealers at the final stage but ended up going back to the second one because it was I knew the lowest price they could do because these places were letting me walk out so I knew they werent making very much. Obvious they were making some and they could have waited til someone else bought the car but they still wanted to make the purchase.

Before this forum and going to a deal that advertises saying they do the 1000 below invoice right off the bat I would not have any idea you could.

I got mine for 25,700 OTD including all taxes and fees and 1000 finance and 400 recent grad. 4200 off the sticker price and 1400 below invoice with tech including doc and destination fee.

Only place in NH that has it and would spend my nights after work calling every dealer. I possibly could have gotten it a few hundred dollars cheaper at another farther away place but this one place had it were nice walked out came back 10 minutes later and bought the car, and the GM didnt even look or talk to my group when we came back in since we were negotiating so hard walked out and probably didnt even want to sell us the car so we wouldnt give them a bad review (the saleswoman had said that) but was very personable.

Overall, I love the car and got a ton of compliments!!!!!!!
    Wow, that's a great OTD price sunnymoney! Does that include the navigation package? Since taxes and license are different, what was the MSRP and what was your price before taxes, license and rebates?

I'm loving my car too, but there's so much to learn! Bluetooth, XM Radio, Navigation, Homelink, BlueLink, Voice commands etc!!!
    edited October 2012
    Question: Besides sales tax and license fees, what other fees did you pay?

I also paid a doc fee of $80. I might have gotten that either knocked off or half price, but I didn't even try.
  • jjc0821jjc0821 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,

These message boards were helpful when I purchased a Honda Odyssey earlier this year.

I am trying to scoop up a 12 Sonata Hybrid with the 1,000 incentive and 72 months @ 0.9%.

Looking for either a base or leather package.

Right now, TMV on a leather is $26,360 and a dealer in PA is offering me $26,098 and then the 1,000 rebate.

Can I do better?

Thanks
  • ajr1775ajr1775 Member Posts: 33
    Does the FMV include the destination? If so it's a good deal for that particular unit. Wondering however....is it worth it to get a Sonata Hybrid considering you can get a Limited with Premium package for about the same and it does very well on gas already? Also, a Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Nav can be had for not much more and it does 38mpg highway and it's not a Hybrid! There's a reason why this Sonata Hybrid doesn't sell overwhelmingly. I'd even hit up a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid @47mpg highway or 2013 VW TDI @45mpg highway first. There is just so much better value out there right now. Or, wait until late December if you can and if the Sonata Hybrid is still your hope then you might be able to swindle an even better deal then.
    edited October 2012
    JCC.........tell the dealer that for 1400 dollars below his price of $26,038 you will buy it immediately.make dealership give you there rock bottom price. call the internet mngr. on the phone and let him know your terms... REMEMBER IN 2 MONTHS THAT CAR IS 1 YEAR OLD AND IF YOU SELL IT WITHIN 3 TO 4 YRS YOUR 2012 CAR DEPRECIATED ABOUT $2500 FOR THE YEAR 2012 YOU DID NOT DRIVE IT.. so the way i look at it is..... for a couple of hundred below invoice its not a great buy.. you could get a 2013 hybrid for invoice probably cheaper . hyundia likes to sell in numbers not so much above invoice... GOOD LUCK BRIAN

• catalina56catalina56 Member Posts: 18
    Just bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4 with Navigation, rear camera, carpeted mats, tinted glass, wheel locks. Purchase was made in Phoenix, Arizona. Price of car was $27,657. plus title, tax and license. I then received $1,000. off for financing with Hyundai. Was this a good deal? Thanks

catalina56
    Hi, first let me say good luck with the new car. We loves ours.
    From what you describe it looks like we bought the same thing. The total MSRP was a little over 30,000.

Since you asked, I paid negotiated a price of exactly $25,000 plus tax, title, etc. And no doc fee. It was a very agressive price but i was firm in what i would pay. It was significantly less than invoice. The Sonata is a very high margin car for dealers. With agressive negotiating you can get low prices.

I also insisted on ALL current incentives, even though I qualified for none. Yes, you can do that but no one tells you that. I could have gotten this same deal from 2 Florida dealers. However, 3 other dealers wouldn't agree to my price.

I wanted to pay cash in full, but in the end we agreed to finance $6000, but i paid it off completly in 2 weeks. The dealer makes a few bucks if you finance. Even if you pay it off immediately. Again enjoy the ride.

Steve
    Yes say No to Doc fee. Tell them its a deal breaker. If they don't drop the fee then walk. Then call other dealers asking for the same deal.
    Steve
  • catalina56catalina56 Member Posts: 18
    Steve, you did very well with your negotiations. The price I paid was the best I could get in Arizona. I called them all in Tucson, Phoenix, Flagstaff. Did you have any trouble pairing your cell phones to the Sonata? Good luck with your new vehicle.

catalina56
    Hi,
    The price difference is not necessarily due the area. I negotiated car deals for family and friends 3 times in the last 3 months in NH, MA, and FL. Always getting excellent deals.

1) I never let the sales rep give me a price. I research prices and tell them this is how much I want to pay.

2) I make them aware that I'm looking at many dealers and will buy only if they can meet my price.

3) I do this during the last week of the month. This puts the buyer in a position of greatest leverage.

4) By pricing lower than the sales rep is allowed to deal by himself, you force the sales rep to get his management into the process.

5) I don't mix the test drive process with the negotiation process. I may visit several dealers of several makes before I decide what make/model I want. I then call on the phone and tell them what model and options I want and what I would pay. I rarely go above when I determine is the price to pay. Works 99% of the time.

There were no problems with phone-pairing.
    Good luck.
    Steve
  • barclaynbarclayn Member Posts: 2
    HI sunnymoney!

How did you talk them down to include everything out the door? What was your strategy?

Im hoping to get the same in shimmering white, hopefully at same price. ;)

This will be my first time buying a car so i am extremely nervous!!! This forum has been a major eye opener for me.

thanks for the support
  • barclaynbarclayn Member Posts: 2
    I like your strategy..... seems less stressful with less hassel
    "I paid negotiated a price of exactly $25,000 plus tax, title, etc. And no doc fee. It was a very agressive price but i was firm in what i would pay. It was significantly less than invoice. The Sonata is a very high margin car for dealers. With agressive negotiating you can get low prices."

Steve, do you think you know about how much profit the dealer actually made on this?
    You ask how much profit do I think they made? My guess approx. $300.

But actually I don't really care. Why should a buyer ever care how much profit they make? I want to get the best deal I can.

The dealers job is to charge as much as the market will bare. That's our free enterprise system.

I'm curious. Why do you ask?

Steve
    I guess a better question would be how you arrived at $25,000 as your bottom line. I always offer what I think will be about a $500 profit, but I never really know. It sounds like you agree that you'll never know what the actual profit will be and that you should just go in with an educated guess about what you want to pay and if it's a good guess and you contact enough dealers, you'll find one who will agree to your price.
    Hi,
    Its really very simple. I calculate (from Edmunds) the MSRP and invoice price of the total package I'm looking at. Then I subtract 3% (hold-back on a Hyundai) of the total MSRP. Then if there are incentives in place, I subtract all of them. If not I subtract approx. $1500. Even if you don't qualify, it doesn't matter. Factor into your quote. I then round it to a nice clean number. I never tell the sales people how I arrived at the quote. If you do, they will lie to you and say that you have the wrong invoice or that they no longer have hold-backs.

So here are my numbers:
    Total MSRP: $29,765
    Total Invoice: $27,781
    Hold-back: $892.95
    Total incentives currently in place: $2000

$27,781
    -$892.95
    -$2000
    ------------
    $24,888.05 (so I rounded to $25,000 even)

I used this same process buying a 2013 Lexus RX350 in MA and a 2013 Toyota Prius IV in NH; all in the last 3 months.

I could have gotten the above Sonata at the $25,000 price from 2 Florida dealers. After calling 5 dealers, 2 agreed to my price. Two others came close, like within $500 or so. Also, I insisted and paid no Doc fee, as I made the clear upfront when made my quotes.

Good luck.
    Steve
    P.S.: I really like buying cars. Its cool to see them wiggle and get management involved in order to deal with me.
    edited October 2012
    Steve
    Your Clever like a Fox. Everybody should buy like us. I;d like to make one point. This system works 95.%.. Supply and demand do play a big part in the car buying game so sometimes you have to be patient and wait out the hot new models a Few months or you will pay the extra dough. My buying tech are alot like Saz [ steve] but i'll tell you this... Try buying a BMW or Mercedes,Range Rover etc hard to get below invoice. I never have in 30 yrs. Buying a American car, Hyundia ,Kia , Nissans and Toyotas have always been great for 1 to 2 k below Invoice Pricing.Its like taking candy out of the store. Good luck... Hyundia Sonatas are there for the taken ............ PLAY THE GAME.....................

Brian,
    Yes you are correct. When I bought my Corvette, I certainly didn't get as good a deal as I get when I buy a much larger volume car.

Steve
  • jjc0821jjc0821 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the help Brian!
    MSRP 28,110 (hybrid with leather trim)
    Purchasing for 24,700 and also getting the 1,000 rebate and a decent value for my trade
  • shedrowshedrow Member Posts: 1
    What works for me is I call and ask to speak to the fleet dealer. I tell him or her that I am ready to buy today and what I want. If the fleet dealer is willing to sell to you it is the lowest price. I was quoted 22159 for a Sonata Limited w/o navigation, but with floor mats mud guards etc. The car and paper work were ready when I got to the dealership. The process took about one hour including instructions on the car features. Of course I did plenty of research and took a test drive before making the call.
  • 999eezz999eezz Member Posts: 4
    Hi Steve,
    I am interested to purchase a Sonata Gls model. I don't really need any package except floor mat, cargo mat and tinted window. I checked edmund invocie price without tinted window is $21036. MSRP $21965. Dealer quoted me $19984 (include finance incentive of $1000)before tax & title, with tinted window. Is this a good price? If I use your formula, then....

invoce : 21036.00
    hold back : -892.95
    incentive : -2000.00

final price : 18143.05, Can I really get this price? How much does tinted window cost?
  • jf2012jf2012 Member Posts: 2
    Just Paid $ 20,000 OTD for a 2013 Hyundai Sonota GLS with GLS popular Equipment Package, Floor mats, Cargo Net, Mud guards, and Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink@ and Compass.

MSRP $ 22,895

Is this a good deal? I am in Pittsburgh, PA
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Does that include taxes and fees? If not, how did you make it out the door without paying them???
  • jf2012jf2012 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. The taxes and documentation fees and included.

MSRP $ 22,895 (base+package)
    - $1,500 incentive
    - ~ 2895 discount
    ------------------------------------
    Price ~ $18500

+ Taxes+fees

-----------------------------------
    Final $20,000
    Good job jjc. Dont you feel alot better now , look at the great price you nailed down.. enjoy your car...................Brian

edited October 2012
    HI 99, I seen your post The Dealer Holdback on all Hyundias are 3% of total MSRP.. Your Holdback is $658.95 on that model. that being said
    Invoice= 21,036
    hold/B=.. 658.
    Total.....= $20,378 this price is Invoice and getting the whole dealers hold back.
    from this point is how good you can Negotiate. Try not to pay any Doc fee's. Tell all Dealers its a deal breaker. Make sure you get the dealer you buy from to minus that 1000 incentive off the total invoice..Check Prior Posts on the Sonata"s. They have been selling for big numbers below Invoice Price... lastly check this Edmunds board,,, see who purchased within a 200 mile area where you live. See who recieved a good deal and call that Dealers internet manager on the phone. Make sure every dealer knows that if he meets your price of...xxx you will buy the car that moment with a Refundable Credit Card deposit till your car is ready for pick up. If you have a fax machine make him fax you over the Buyers Order with all the details of said vehicle and price. All you do then is sign it,,,, fax it back to dealer and in return he will fax back with his signature and your done.. Window tint can be done at a good detail shop so dont stress about letting dealer do it.. Call your 1st 10 Dealers on phone and apply what STEVE HAS HIT ON AND I HAVE SAID....... This way to buy a Vehicle is Fast and Easy........................................... Good luck....................Brian

edited October 2012
    One other point on Doc Fee"s...Sometimes dealers will not reduce or remove there doc fee's. when i buy a vehicle if a said dealer does not take off or reduce those fee"s. I apply them to my below Invoice price.. Example If my target price is 1k below invoice and dealer wont take off the $299 doc fee then that dealer has to sell me his car for $1299 below invoice. Play the Game .

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Excellent deal!
  • sunnymoneysunnymoney Member Posts: 5
    Hi Barclayn!

Sorry for the delay, but what the other Steve is advising for the minus holdback which is like 800 off a 30k msrp and 1500-2000 below invoice I tried at 8 different dealers in NH and MA and didnt work for the 2013 sonata limited with tech. I got 27100 OTD before rebates so 2900 of sticker price and 1600 under invoice including the doc fee. I walked out of two dealers. They will rarely knock on the hold back just got atleast 1500 below invoice before rebates and tell them you dont qualify for any rebates so they dont work it into the price or try to atleast.

Call around and take notes on every single dealer 100 miles radius around you, go to the top 2 or 3 you want to give your money to and start making serious offers. DO NOT BUY ANY EXTENDED WARRANTIES... I used to sell them they are garbage and I read an article here on Edmunds by a Finance Manager who sells them at dealerships saying they were complete rip offs and the dealership makes huge money on them.

Thanks and have a great day! I love my 2013 Sonata and have gotten so many compliments!
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    Just wondering why extended warranties are garbage? I know for Honda, you can buy online for much cheaper but it's the same Honda extended warranty.
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    Where do you find the dealer hold back and incentive info?