Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I did look into Optima too. It appears that one can get a Sonata GLS with PEP for $20k OTD (with HMF cash, owner and student/veteran rebates), Optima LX with CP for about $21-$21.5K (with KMF cash and student/veteran but without owner or competitive rebate) and Accord LX for $21.5k-$22.5k.

An Optima's safety rating is below Accord but higher than Sonata. The mileage is same as a Sonata but less than an Accord. Hence, one will be paying about $1k more than a Sonata for its slightly better safety ratings.

IMHO, it may be better to spend about $2k more on an Accord instead of about $1k on an Optima (same mileage as a Sonata) because an Accord has better mileage (min $2k gas cost saving for about 100k miles) and highest safety ratings among these 3 cars. Hence, the effective cost of an Accord could be about $20k, if one is planning to keep the vehicle for a long time (> 100k miles), provided there is no huge repair bill due to its shorter warranty. In addition, one's mind will be peaceful knowing that he/she has the vehicle that has the highest safety ratings in its class at the time of purchase, besides the higher reliability and reputation of a Honda vehicle.

Earlier, I was ready to purchase a Sonata. The vehicle was supposed to be at the dealer's lot before Christmas. But it did not come due to some issues. It will be coming only towards the end of Jan. I have the buyer's order but did not sign it yet. Thankfully, I came across IIHS 2013 tests around Jan first week. After seeing the IIHS 2013 small overlap tests, I just cannot digest the fact that Sonata's side-curtain airbags did not open. IIHS says about 25% of frontal crash is similar to this test.

An Accord's style and warranty is not as good as an Optima/Sonata but it's mileage and safety ratings are better. Right now, I decided to go for an Accord 2013. May be it was a blessing in disguise for not getting the Sonata in time.

If, I would have across the IIHS 2013 test before Dec 31, I would have shopped for a Honda before Dec 31 and obtained a decent deal on Dec 31. Right now, I am getting offers for about $21,200 before TTL. I can get much cheaper price (around $20,600) in CA but its sales tax is very high and it negates the difference.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited January 2013
    I like your thought process. However, one rule i have is to NEVER buy a car in its first model year (even a Honda). I leased my new 2011 Sonata GLS in April 2010 since i knew it would be covered by warranty and 3 years has gone fast. I almost bought a 2010 Accord that time but i liked the Sonata better. It has been very reliable. Two recalls (both software) and one power window switch replacement are all the mx I've had to date. I've started the buying process for a replacement since the buyout price is too high (60% residual) and the value isn't there (sadly). I still like the car but not enough to overpay for it. The competition has caught up and there are many options in this class of sedan. One thing i've noticed already is that the lease terms in 2013 are NOT as good as they were in 2010 (for most cars). Good luck in your quest.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Good point. Hondas are reliable but have been known to have problems, including in transmissions on Accords... and the Accord's CVT is a new design. Unless I were blown away by a car compared to lower-cost competitors, I'd tend to get the lowest-priced option that I like. And right now the lease deals and pricing on the Sonata seem excellent compared to competitors like the Accord, e.g. 3 year nothing-out-of-pocket leases on the Sonata GLS PEP for close to $200/month.

At least for the first two months of ownership, my wife's 2013 Sonata GLS has been perfect... tracks beautifully, no squeaks or rattles even at below zero F temps, no problems at all. So having been in production for nearly 3 years seems to have helped the Sonata.
    edited January 2013
    Accord has both direct injection and CVT as new powertrain technology; not new to honda but new on their mainstream sedan. i am waiting for the 2014 Sonata refresh if it ever comes out. Very limited info to be had anywhere.
    Where are you seeing those 200/month deals on the Sonata? Must include some serious lease incentives to get that low...
  • ruthg3ruthg3 Member Posts: 20
    Does the price of 21800 include the $595 fin fee in leasing? If so, that's a good price! I leased a 2013 limited in December with options for $21,370 but then added the $595, fees and tax. I also had the $1500 cash back, $500 loyalty rebate.
    Good luck with your purchase!
    I'm seeing those deals close to $200/month reported here at Edmunds.com. :)
    REF: 8791
    I remember you from 2010 and hyundai-forums.com. Deals reported on this edmunds web site are not always real. Wish it were so but the TRUE data does not support it.
  • maureen14maureen14 Member Posts: 9
    We are purchasing an se turbo not the limited.

That was just the numbers I was figuring from the 3% holdback and taking 2000 off for incentives. Haven't tried to get it yet! He would be buying (not leasing) the se turbo with rear spoiler and mud guards. I am not sure if that is the offer we should make or if it is way off. That would be w destination fee, but not with tax and title. Dang tax!

This is how I figured it -
    MSRP 26035 3% is 781
    Invoice 24638 - 781 = 23857
    If I take off 1500 incentives it is 22357. If I take off 2000, it is 21857.
    Steve says to go for all the incentives and just put it in the price you offer. Does that seem right?

Thanks for any assistance. This is just so darn nerve racking.

Maureen
    Thanks. I kind of figured it was too good to be true. :)
    I can tell you for a fact MY deal was real. :) And if I can get this kind of deal, I expect others can also... or even better. I didn't go to extremes to get the deal, as others might be willing to do.
    REF: 8795
    This is the one i find impossible:

"I just bought the Sonata Limited 2.0T with Navigation for $23,200. Tags and Taxes are included."
    Impossible? Hardly. Rare? Sure. But that's ONE sale, likely under very unusual circumstances which could include: 1) dealer trying to make a month/quarter/year-end incentive; 2) unpopular color; 3) demo vehicle; 4) a low/no sales tax state.

Will everyone get such a good deal? No. Can ONE PERSON get such a good deal? Sure. It's a big country.
    Don't see why you can't offer 21850 or 21900 and go from there. Worst they can say is no, and if you're not in a total hurry you could see how things shake out nearer the end of the month. Also, I would agree that you should get offers from the internet managers at several dealerships before going in. Easier to negotiate over the phone from home instread of sitting in the dealership. I negotiated 2 leases last quarter gettting the cap cost from the internet manager and it saved time and money.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • l7a13l7a13 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I just emailed several dealers in the Pacific Northwest and very quickly got this price. for 3 email exchanges with a couple of dealers in less than 2 hours. No haggle which I love. I stayed firm and the final email said ok they had one for that price. Maybe I should have gone lower. It is the non turbo model.

2013 sonata limited 2.4 non turbo w/tech package
    $24500 plus sales tax.

What does the board say ....Steve Thanks for the tips
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I live in Tampa Florida and I am looking for a new or CPO Turbo Limited to buy in the next few months. The biggest dealer around gave me an internet price of approx. 31K OTD for a 2013, Limited Turbo without Navigation. Another dealership had a 2012 Limited Turbo, no navigation with 18K miles for 23,991 + TTL. I like the idea of a CPO but I am wondering if either of these are good deals.
    Thanks for any insights.

Dennis P.
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    Dennis P.

I would find a third dealer. You are getting no favors from these two dealers.
    That's what I was thinking, especially after seeing some of the deals people on here have gotten.

Thanks
    Dennis P.
  • med7med7 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Thank you! Wish I'd found this wealth of great info earlier!

My goal: Pacific Blue Pearl/gray 2.4 Limited w/ nav package (hopefully PZEV). I'm in Southern CA.

Very low-mileage 2012 certified pre-owned--This was my target until I finally noticed the constant holiday special TV ads and shifted focus to a 2013 model. I wasted time working with one lying dealership; by the time I started shopping others, they'd sold so many Hyundais they didn't really care whether I bought one or not. Decided they might be more motivated in a couple of months. Best offer: $24,900 (out of town dealership; would have travel expenses)

Question 1: One dealership told me they suspect the PacBlue will be discontinued because they're not receiving them any more. Anybody know about this?

Question 2: Incentives have largely disappeared now. Any intel about whether there will be more as the year goes on? Am I better off sitting tight until some 2013s get repossessed and reappear as cert. pre-owned, or just bit the bullet and pay more than some of you to be sure I can get the color I want?

Any/all advice greatly appreciated!
    Hi ruthg3. Thanks for getting back to me. Would you mind telling me exactly the car you got with what options? Was it the limited or the limited turbo, etc.? Also, when you say you got it for 21965 plus fees and taxes, is that including the 1500 and 500 rebate or did you get that taken off the price of 21965? Thanks again.

Maureen
    Hi Maureen,

It was a 2013 Limited (not turbo) with carpeted floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net, sunroof wind deflector (we wanted black/grey interior & the only one they could find came with that), mud guards.

MSRP $27,075, Invoice $25,314. The price we got included the $1500 incentive and the $500 loyalty rebate. We leased and that number did not include the $595 finance fee, mv fee, doc fee (others in this blog say you should negotiate that out, we felt ok since we'd gotten the price down already) or taxes.

We also worked through the internet managers and got a quote before we went to the dealership to do the paperwork. It took several phone calls back & forth while she talked to the GM.
    I suggest clarifying in advance the pieces of the deal - capitalized cost, residual value (they should tell you percentage) and money factor. I also suggest figuring out what you expect the monthly payment to be with the numbers they quote BEFORE you get to the dealership. They first quoted me this low cap cost, but the monthly amount didn't match with the % and MF I knew about from this blog. Once I figured it out with their cap cost numbers, they honored the deal.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • poluris82poluris82 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

Like many of you here, I am looking to buy a new Sonata in the next 1-2 months. I have just started out my research and am trying to get my head wrapped around the various trims and options available and their respective prices. To aid me in the buying process, I have put together a small pricing matrix for all the available Sonata trims and their options along with their respective Invoice, MSRP and the Edmunds true market value prices. I wanted to share this with others who are in the market for a new Sonata.

You can download it from here. Dont worry, it is just a spreadsheet with various trims and prices. Nothing more.

I know its not perfect for everyone but, you can easily modify it to your tastes and situations. I'm glad if this is helpful to you. Good luck!
  • poluris82poluris82 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, the link was broken...here's the correct link Hyundai-Sonata-Trims-and-Options-Pricing
    edited January 2013
    Thanks again for getting back so quickly, ruth! Does the capitalized cost, residual value and money factor have to do with leasing? He is purchasing with a loan (not leasing) so I am not sure if those have to do with purchasing. If so, could you point me to where I could find out more info about it.

If you don't mind, could you tell me what you paid for doc fees, like pretty much everything before title and tax? That would really be helpful. Thanks for all the tips. Hope you have had a nice weekend.

Maureen
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Fitz in Clearwater is advertising new 2013 Turbo Limited, non-Nav, for $24.5K on their website. May want to check them out...might be worth the 45 minute drive for a deal like that...
    Forgot that you were purchasing not leasing...sorry...so no MF or residual value, etc needed. The doc fee was $229 and the MV fee was $269 but got $30 back when picked up the plates.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
    Maureen,

Forgot that you were purchasing not leasing...sorry...so no MF or residual value, etc needed. The doc fee was $229 and the MV fee was $269 but got $30 back when picked up the plates.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
    Thanks I'll have to check that out.

Dennis P.
  • mtndew7mtndew7 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I'm planning and buying 2013 Sonata SE 2.4L, and I got an offer from dealer A at $20,967 OTD. Isn't it too cheap? I mean, it's better if it's cheap, but at the same time, kind of makes me suspicious about it. And, dealer B offered $22,236 OTD.

It seems like dealer A is pretty good size, they had total 165 sonata, and had 19 SE trim.

Should I just go head buy or should be careful about this?
    I think you are answering your own questions. I would be leery of that OTD price. Is there a trade involved? Is it a demo? I'd buy one at that price!
    Hi mtndew!

What are your prices before tax and title since each state and county are different? And what dealers did you get those pricings from? It is really hard to tell by OTD when we don't know the state tax.
    Hello pegasus17,

yea that was the first price which I didn't even expect to offer. No, trade-in is not involved nor any other things. It's just buying a new car. I'm not sure if it's demo or not, but people say it could be demo, I guess I should check it.
    Hello maureen14,

Thank you for your answer. Actually, I don't know the price before tax and stuff, because that was the price he offered me at the first time as a OTD. I live in Greenville, SC, and I think tax is $300 flat.
    Wow. $300 in taxes is awesome. I am in NY and we pay something like 8.6% which comes out to a lot! If you do the numbers that Steve has written about with taking 3% of MSRP, subtracting that from the invoice price and then taking off all incentives or between 1500 and 2000- then that seems to be what a lot of people are able to get the sonata at. Although, I have seen people getting even better than that. Does the car have any extras? If your tax is only $300, you might even be able to get lower than that if you figure it out.
    Hello, maureen14

Yea, I didn't realize the tax $300 that we have is really good.
    And here is the detail price they offered me.

internet sale price: $20,280 (with MSRP $24,370)
    this price includes freight handling fee $775
    +closing fee $349 (what is closing fee, btw? is it doc fee?)
    +SC sales tax $300
    +SC tag fee $39
    total: 20,968 OTD

It seems to be great deal to me as long as they are not demo.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Yea, I didn't realize the tax $300 that we have is really good.

But, you get all that snow.... uh.... wait a minute... Hey! This isn't fair!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That closing fee is really just another way of adding money to the price. If you go back to like September-October posts from last year, Steve explains a lot of things about purchasing. They are on like page 423 or so. They are really helpful. Good Luck with your purchase.
  • iadnuyhiadnuyh Member Posts: 2
    with Premium Package
    MSRP = 31,745
    Dealer Quote = 27,790
    minus 1000 HFMC cash
    minus 500 competitive

brings final price to 26,290
    plus tax,title,plates.

Look like a fair deal?
  • trusso69trusso69 Member Posts: 68
    yes, good price. beware the notorious doc fees, though...

http://www.bobpoynterhyundai.com/2013-Hyundai-Sonata-Columbus-Indiana/vd/1145727- 5
  • rayabgrayabg Member Posts: 4
    Invoice for 20,527 with everything included, out the door. Car only has 11 miles on it.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    what was the final negotiated price before TTT and fees??
  • raghu_nyraghu_ny Member Posts: 1
    hey buddy

I am trying to buy a sonota 2.0 turbo limited with premium package. you have got a good deal . can you please email me details as the dealers in NJ would want to see a proof . thank you in advance

thanks
    raghu
    hey there,
    I got the GLS, not the limited turbo. if you give me your emila, I can provide you with details
  • spunwpaspunwpa Member Posts: 1
    Limited PZEV with basic options plus mud guards, cargo mat, cargo net, all-weather floor mat
    Edmunds TMV: $25,219
    Posted MSRP: $26,940
    Final deal: $23,000 (-$1,800 trade-in)
    OTD: $22,941

Looks like a fair deal? Thank you all for helpful tips and discussions.

PS. Just found that in my signed sheet, they made a critical mistake!! I said 10k down and initially deposited 3k and have 7k due on delivery. The sheet says I deposited 7k and due 3k on delivery. It would be interesting to see how they react when I show this sheet with only 3k instead of 7k. (Of course, I will pay 7k on delivery; but 3k first with the sheet, then 4k after teasing the salesperson:)
  • jacobsmommyjacobsmommy Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I have been visiting the boards and learning as much as I can over the past few weeks. I am looking for a 2012 Sonata Hybrid. This Sunday, my husband and I went to the dealership that had offered us the best prices online. They have over 20 hybrids on the lot. I wanted to look at them in person without any pressure before we went in later this week.

When we arrived, the sales manager was working some extra hours at the office and offered to help us. The car I had my eye on (a silver 2012 hybrid --ultimate pkg,demo, with 5,000 miles) was nowhere to be found. I noticed that not all of the cars on the internet were on the lot. He told me that they store some at a second location. He then notified me that they had sold that particular car. It was the only hybrid with ultimate package they had. I was disappointed, but was okay to look at non-ultimate hybrids.

He told me that he personally owned a 2012 white with black leather interior hybrid that he was going to sell in the next month or so. It is fully-loaded with every single available option. It has 7,200 miles on it. He offered 26,000 even for it. He said that if we wanted to get the extended platinum warranty on it he would purchase it under the employee discount at 1,500 making the total $27,500 plus TTL.

I am concerned that a second-hand Hyundai loses the 10/100,000 warranty as it is downgraded. I haven't been able to call the warranty company to ask them about coverage (transfer fees, etc.) because they are closed.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Good deal? Crap deal? The car is fabulous and I would love to have it, but not at the expense of common-sense.

Thanks for reading and responding. I appreciate it.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    You are right-once a Hyundai has been registered, it loses the 100K warranty. If he buys the warranty-you need to pay the transfer fee.

JMHO-but this "deal" smells to me. Purhase a car through a dealer, not a private party even though he is the sales manager.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    That seems slimy...

It's either not exactly true... or, he would lose his job if his boss found out...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I would have to agree...I would not go for this deal. Reminbds me of a saleman who said that my trade was not worth more than $500 and he'd be happy to buy it for that. When I told other dealers the tail they said that what he did was way out of line and that the original dealer should be very unhappy if he knew his employees were working for themselves on his time.

I'd steer clear!
  • jacobsmommyjacobsmommy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your responses. They helped a lot! Sometimes it is best to walk away...
  • sunnytags1sunnytags1 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a dealership south of Dallas, that shows really good prices online? Are those rates really legit? Also i see the same list of cars on their site every day, with only one of those with the ultimate package.