Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nearphilanearphila Member Posts: 14
    Returning to this site having used it to buy two cars in '05 and '09.
    Looking for dealership suggestions from which to buy a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS from, over the internet.

I'm in NW Philadelphia and willing to travel anywhere in Pa, DE, or NJ (and maybe further) for best deal. Previously bought online from Stateline Hyundai in Philipsburg, NJ, near Easton, PA.

(I am aware of but don't know much about Fitzgerald in Chambersburg, PA.)

Thanks for any help.
  • piezonpiezon Member Posts: 23
    I got my 2013 Sonata Ltd at Lehigh Valley Hyundai in Emmaus, PA (near Allentown) and was quite pelased with the price. I also got a quote from Muller Hyundai in Phillipsburg, NJ (just over the border from Easton, PA). Muller gave me an internet price that I used when visiting Lehigh Valley Hyundai (where i live).
    Hope this helps. They have a $100 referral program but that won't help as i'd have to give them your name & we don't use names on this site.
  • kratosbearkratosbear Member Posts: 3
    Just came back from Springfield Hyundai in Pennsylvania. Their price on the Sonata SE (no turbo!) is as follows:

MSRP: 24,250.00
    Minus Dealer Discount: 2,676.00
    Minus Hyundai Rebate: 1,000.00
    Minus Loyalty Rebate: 500.00

Total Price not including Tax, Tags, etc: 20,074.00. Does this sound like a good price? I am working with a trade which they did not meet my price for the trade and that is the only reason I didn't buy the sonata. I did not tell them I had a trade so the price they quoted me for the sonata was the actual price without negotiating the trade. Bottom line: Is 20,074 a good price? I am still looking and willing to deal if I can find the right dealer! I live in DE... any thoughts?
  • rayabgrayabg Member Posts: 4
    Balise Hyundai of Cape Cod. Awesome dealer. Kevin Heindrich was very accommodating. We are military and were able to transfer a Florida tag from another car instead of getting MA plates. Highly recommend!
  • 2013sonata2013sonata Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I got my new car @ 3/30/2013

Here My Deal:

$27,095 (MSRP)
    $25,481 (Invoice)
    -$1,547 (Dealer Discount)
    -$1,500 (Finance Cash)
    -$500 (Comp Owner)
    -$400 (Coll Grad)
    $21,534 + TTL

I think I got a fair deal. What do you think?
    Thanks for everyone!
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    I bought it on Saturday and it was 24, 990 OTD, This included my beat up old 11 year old SUV as a trade. So far I really like the vehicle and I was very happy with the whole experience at Hyundai of Wesley Chapel.

Dennis P.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    What was your trade-in valued at, and what were your taxes and fees? It's hard to gauge the price of a car based on the OTD value. :)
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    My trade in was IMHO worth about 15oo at auction and the taxes and fees were approx. 3K (Shocking I know).

Dennis
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    So, from a $24,990 purchase we can add 1500 from your trade in (making the car now 26,490)... whatever your taxes were (not counting DEALER fees) wouldn't count either. And that's where we'd find the price of the car. Still sounds like you did pretty well.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We need your input to improve our Forums!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums
  • el_toro_locoel_toro_loco Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I have been offered a price of $26,654 plus $795 destination fee for the Sonata Hybrid Limited. The car has the panoramic sunroof, floor mats, wheel locks, ipod cable and cargo net. The dealership told me that I must finance with Hyundai, so I'm assuming the $1,000 financing rebate was used to get this price.

MSRP is $32,690
    Invoice is $30,655

Is this a good deal?

The dealer mentioned 2 free service visits. A co-worker said I should push for two years service. Should I push for a free cargo mat?

Saz25 and others, what do you think?

And a big thank you to everyone who posted here for making this a great tool for research.
  • alociouz12alociouz12 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I received couple of quotes from couple of Dealerships, not sure if the price is really true OR are they just trying to get us in the door. If u are recent Sonata Buyer, please let me me know if this price sounds reasonable.

Conicelly Hyundai in Conshohocken quoted me for $17906 + Tax/Tags(Sonata GLS) and Pacifico Hyundai in Springfield quoted me for $18600 +Tax/Tags(Sonata GLS). Not sure what the Rebates and Incentives are like. I spoke with both of them over the phone, and they kept on reinstating that this would be the price as long as I finance through Hyundai Finance. What do you think?
  • jerryr1974jerryr1974 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to get a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t limited with tech package. So far here is the deal from the dealer:

MSRP $31,530
    Here is the Break Down of the numbers....
    $25,995
    $795 Destination
    $292 tags and titleing
    $1,739.40  Mayland Tax
    Total On the Road is
    $29,021.40

Good deal?

Jerry
  • salesguyjaysalesguyjay Member Posts: 22
    Hey Jerry -

That is a pretty good deal...Thats pretty much the max discount we'd give and i'm at a dealer in MD. I'm assuming that includes $1500 finance rebate and $500 either valued owner or competitive rebate. Which means the discount is in the $2500 area. Means you are getting invoice minus holdback and probably most of the dealer cash.

Take it! Unless you're close to Owings Mills and wanna let me beat it by $100 :)
  • kanimerakalakanimerakala Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Hi,

This is an awesome deal. Did you get this from LA area? I am planning to buy this exact same model 2013 Sonata Limited in LA, and am wondering if I can get anything even close to this. Anyone has any suggestions for dealers to lookout for in LA area?

Thanks!
  • gr8tiffgr8tiff Member Posts: 4
    Picked up my 2013 Harbor Grey Sonata Limited with tech package this week in Kalamazoo, MI.

This was the deal -

MSRP $31,535
    Here is the Break Down of the numbers....
    $26,121
    $200 Doc Fee
    $23 Title and Tag transfer
    $1,699.26 Michigan Tax

Out the door:
    $28,043.26

This includes $1500 finance rebate and $500 competitive rebate. I thought this was a pretty good deal, so I wanted to share.

Happy Memorial Day!
  • mdeatonmdeaton Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I was trying to find my answer throughout this forum but all the msrp and other lingo is confusing me. This is my scenario and quote I recieved yesterday... I am in Louisiana and have been looking at the Sonata limited, with the premium package including nav. The dealer quoted 27,250 which included 2000 in rebates.

When I search edmunds, KBB etc it says the fair purchase price averages around 27,400. But what I am confused about is, even if there are no rebates is this "fair purchase price" what I should be paying? In my mind that would be the price of the car and you would then apply rebates... so I should be paying 25,400 right?

I hope this makes sense... I asked the dealer about the fair purchase price listed on the sites and they "assumed" the websites include the rebates in their numbers. I assumed it does not. I love this car but I dont want to pay an extra 2k if I shouldnt be! Obviously :)
  • fscotfscot Member Posts: 8
    Picked up my 2013 Harbor Grey Sonata Limited with tech package this week in Hackettstown, NJ.

This was the deal -

MSRP: $29,810.00
    Sale price: $25,966.00
    Rebates: $2,000.00 customer cash + $500 owner loyalty
    Price w/ rebate: $23,466
    TTL: $2410
    OTD: $25,876

I got an additional $500 cash card rebate from Hyundai thru Edmunds, so my total net cost was $25,376. Good dealer experience, did it all over internet.
  • maryhyundaimaryhyundai Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info, fscot.
    Can you tell me about the cash card, pls? I'm only finding a reference to a Nissan card when I search.
  • courtt44courtt44 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a Limited 2.0T at Arapahoe Hyundai south of Denver:

Car MSRP: Limited 2.0T : $28370

Carpeted Mats $100
    All Weather Mats $115
    Mud Guards $95
    Sunroof deflector $95
    Cargo Net $50
    Rear bumper protector $50
    Wheel Locks $50

Total MSRP $28,925
    D & H $499

Total discount: $5,924

Car Final price: $23,500

Window tint $175
    Clear Bra $175

Grand Total: $23,850 + tax

What do you guys think?
  • not_a_dealernot_a_dealer Member Posts: 1
    Jerry,
    I just have an out the door price in California for 27000. this is before I negotiate. We end up not buying the loaded limited. We went with the base model. Best of luck!
    NAD
  • courtt44courtt44 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the typo.

It was $24,850 + tax.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    In June Hyundai dealers were discounting some Sonatas $2,900 AND giving 0% for 60 months.
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    er, i don't think that helps us to much since this is july13, 2013 but thanks anyway.
  • robertv3robertv3 Member Posts: 1
    I am a newbie and a first time car buyer and wanted to appreciate each one of you for all the great information provided in the forum. I am in the market for a brand new 2013 Sonata GLS + Popular package (automated driver seat +fog lights + heated front seats). This is what I was offered by a dealer in Arizona

Total Price without taxes - 17800
    With Taxes/ documentation/ other fees - 20300

Can anyone please let me know if this is a great price. If not how much scope of negotiation do i have. I am very new to buying a car and would appreciate all the help i can get.

Thanks!
    Hyundai was also giving $500 to owners of a Hyundai who traded for another one.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How high are taxes where you live?? Even with a 10% tax, you are paying over $700 for "documentation/other fees". So the amount over $17,800 seems high. Maybe the documentation fee is high, i.e. "dealer profit". It would help if you could break down the transaction for us, e.g.:

MSRP (including options and destination charge)
    - dealer discount
    - rebates (itemize them)
    - other discounts (if any)
    = $17,800
    + sales tax
    + documentation fee
    + license/title fees
    + other fees?
    = $20,300
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    After incentive, $19000 before TTL, includes PEP, shimmering white exterior, carpeted floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net, auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink, mud guards, and wheel locks. Total out-of-door $21160.
    Easy experience with internet sales.
  • daveatxdaveatx Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

This forum has been great for me as I researched buying my stock '13 Sonata GLS, which I picked up yesterday....thought I'd share my deal:

Price of the car after discounts: $18,495.00
    TT&L: $1193.00
    Fees: $323.00
    Total out-the-door: $20,011.00

I'm amazed at what you get with the Sonata for under 20 grand. And the 10-year powertrain warranty is the best in the business. The dealership was OK to deal with, for the most part....did everything over the internet until it was time to sign for the car. Beware the upsell tactics of the finance manager, though - he's going to try to convince you finance through the dealership (I advise against it - secure financing ahead of time) and he'll try to get you to extend the bumper-to-bumper warranty (I chose not to - the Hyundai warranty seems more than adequate).

Happy driving, Sonatites!
  • ubumcomubumcom Member Posts: 2
    That is better than I can get in FL. For the same 2013 Sonata GLS + Popular package (automated driver seat +fog lights + heated front seats) with some dealer add-ons like mats, cargo net, fancy rearview mirror, the best I can get is $21,000 OTD.

I've spoke to 4 different dealers and all 4 are within $300 of each other.

Is Florida MORE expensive?
  • ubumcomubumcom Member Posts: 2
    BTW: That is a cash price with no trade-in.
  • erica112erica112 Member Posts: 3
    How were you able to get that large of a discount?
    That's an excellent price. Wish I could negotiate mine down that much. Any tips?
    edited July 2013
    Hi all - I'm brand new to the world of car purchasing, and could use a tip or two on haggling. The vehicle I'm looking at is a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sdn 2.4L Auto Limited, with the premium package, black leather interior.

The dealer's website has the MSRP listed as $29,980 and the "Internet Price" as $26,030. There's also a link that allows me to submit an offer to them online.

A few questions:
    - Is the "Internet Price" different than the price they'd start me at in-store? Namely, is it lower, and as such, would that limit the amount I'm able to haggle?
    - Is it wise / recommended to put an offer in and negotiate through the web?

And most importantly:
    - What would your recommendation be for my starting offer? Would a 23k initial offer be realistic? TrueCar tells me my "target price" should be around 25.7k, but I'm seeing numbers by other recent buyers on this forum listing their final price in the 24k range.

Any tips would be appreciated!
  • ricovanianricovanian Member Posts: 14
    everything is negotiable- I am also in the process of buying and the bottom line is... when you go into the dealership and lay all your cards on the table, price should still be fluid--- you can always walk out and see if that works!
    Sonata hybrid Ltd. - everything but the panoramic sunroof - for $28,600 plus tax AND got 60 months 0%.
    $2,900 off msrp and $18,250 for my 2011 base hybrid.

U should b able to get the standard Sonata somewhere in the mid $24K range.
  • vr18vr18 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    hi i'm 20. i'm a first time car buyer that needs a lot of guidance.

i am looking for a hyundai sonata limited with premium package. i have $7,000 saved up. what should my first step be? my grandpa will cosign for me and he has a top credit score.

should i negotiate a price and then go in for financing or is there a separate process if you are getting financed. i don't want to get ripped off so any step-by-step advice for me would be greatly appreciated. im not familiar with any financing terms or stuff like that so i need some simple explanations. thanks
  • gr8tiffgr8tiff Member Posts: 4
    Forgot to mention that this was a turbo...
  • kingmeatkingmeat Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    The best thing to do is to stay out of the dealership and not let them get their hooks into you. My suggestion would be to call local dealerships in your area and understand what fees are involved in buying the car. Locally here, there are four charges that need to be considered:

Price of vehicle
    State sales tax
    State license fees
    Dealer admin or doc fee (this is junk and goes into the pocket of the dealer)

The dealer should be able to provide you with the second third and fourth fees listed above. State sales tax, state license fees and dealer admin fees will be the same no matter what what car you purchase from the dealership. Negotiate a total price including all for the items above, this is also known as the drive-off price. This will not allow the dealer to add any additional costs to your negotiated price prior to getting to showroom.

Based on pricing in my local area I would start off with a price of $23,000 for this vehicle that you are looking to acquire (prices can vary significantly by area, use truecar to get an idea of price in your area). I would use this figure adding the other three figures above and that would be offer made to the dealership. Hopefully you have the flexibility of maybe two or three colors that you would take this gives the dealer the opportunity to work with you on price a little bit more. Good luck.
    edited July 2013
    thanks for your help!

i actually decided to do a lease deal and this is what they offered - can anyone advise? how low do you think i can get it?

2013 Black Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4 w/ Premium Package

$29,925 MSRP
    $26,512 Selling
    -$2,000 Rebate
    $24,514
    +$2,771 Tax Title License
    = $27,285 Out the Door

Lease = 36 months, 15k miles/year
    $0 down payment, $377/month incl. taxes

Money Factor - 0.00112 , Residual - 54%

Any thoughts?
    are the same.
    Hyundai Finance generally has some of the lowest rates u will find.
    60 months @ 0% even on their hybrids; Camry hybrids almost never get that.

Maybe they will soon as the newest Camry flunked the offset crash test.
    Sonata passed.
    i ended up pulling the trigger on this car today.

I negotiated the payment down to $365.00 incl taxes. I also made them give me a 3 year prepaid service contract for free and made them throw in some hyundai keychains :P

I paid absolutely nothing out of pocket today, just signed and drove away. My first bill will come in the mail a month from today. I'm happy.
    Hyundai and affiliate Kia on Sunday said U.S. sales of the hybrid versions of their Sonata and K5 mid-sized passenger cars hit records in May.

Hyundai sold 2,129 Sonata hybrids and Kia 1,206 K5 hybrids there last month. The two automakers rolled out their first hybrid passenger cars in 2011.

Hyundai said combined sales of hybrid vehicles in May were up 44 percent from the same period last year, while their cumulative combined sales in the first five months of this year rose 30.7-percent on-year.

Combined monthly sales have surpassed 3,000 cars since March, Hyundai said in a press release.

The U.S. car market slump and high oil prices triggered demand for fuel-efficient models. Overall sales of hybrid cars in 2012 rose 62.5 percent from the previous year.

link title
  • usfarbuo1usfarbuo1 Member Posts: 35
    i have a 2011 azera and went into a kia dealership. i didn't like the price quoted me (22,000) which included my trade in. the kia cadenza which i looked at had a msrp of 39,500. he tried to talk me into a lease and finally came down to 241. a month for three years ( no down payment) and 12,000 miles a year. he would buy my car afor 10,000 Much too low-only have 17,000 miles on it. i will probably go back and get a much lower quote for leasing and a higher figure for my car. this is my second azera ( loved them both) but i do like that cadenza.
    bottom line you could probably do much better for a lease.
  • suri_vsuri_v Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2013
    Sorry for the wrong thread .. too many edmunds windows opened :(

Hi guys ..

I came to know about this site a few days ago from my friend as I was mulling to buy a new car and have been hooked to it ever since. Thanks a lot for the amazing insight on the car sales process. I hope I can get some help as well.

I have asked for some online price quotes for 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6. Some of them replied with the simple MSRP numbers asking me to call. I havent yet but i went down to a dealership today and got the following numbers. Lemme know if they are alright.

Price: 27k (includes destination & handling)
    Doc fee & DMV: 360 + 400
    Sales tax: 7% NJ

Comes to a total of 29650. No other bonuses offered. I am graduating in Dec but the honda site says we should graduate in the next four months to be eligible for the 500$ rebate :(

Can you please comment on these numbers and if I shud counter with something?

Thanks
    so bummed- have been looking at a 2013 gls sonata with preferred package, but on Long Island, best I could do b4 tax was $19,800- which is $1500 more than my target-and that was with Hyundai Circle pricing
    oh well, I guess I'll see what happens after '14's come out. :cry:
    edited July 2013
    I ended up going for it. Can someone tell me if I got a good deal?

Exact model:
    2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited
    Premium package (with nav touch screen, panoramic sunroof, Infinity speakers, etc)
    Silver exterior + black interior
    No additional add-ons

MSRP: $29,544
    - 2,000 Hyundai Bonus Cash (for using 2.9% financing thru credit union)
    - 2,000 Dealership discount
    - 1,370 Dealership "Weekend Sale"
    = 24,174.00 final price

+ sales tax ($2486.53 ---- WA @ 9.2%)
    + doc fees ($150.00)
    + license/reg ($188.75)

= $26999.29 out the door

The one catch with this car is that it was "supposed" to be a loaner car (for other Hyundai owner's getting their vehicles serviced) but never ended up getting used by anyone. Unfortunately this knocks 10 months off my warranty because it was activated in Oct 2012.

All things considered, is this a good deal? The dealer claimed it was invoice price minus holdback + dealer cash. He should me the paperwork proving the holdback (somewhere around 800 if I remember correctly but only gave verbal confirmation of the dealer cash - which he claimed was 1000) Should I have negotiated it further considering the warranty aspect?

So far my customer service with them (after the purchase) has been very good. I'm a worrier though and want to make sure I got the best deal...
  • roadrageeroadragee Member Posts: 135
    You are getting a $29,544 car for $24,174, which represents 18.2% off MSRP.

I think that's great deal. Get it.
  • dangle1257dangle1257 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2013 Sonata Limited with Premium Package
    and some small options included (mats, cargo net, etc.)

Black Exterior and Black Interior

MSRP: $29,970

With the $2000 rebate plus dealer discounts

Sales Price: $24,100

Out the door: $26,580 (including TTL, 8% Sales Tax in Orange County CA)
  • pdrhodespdrhodes Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Ok here it is August. I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Sonata GLS, complete with the popular equipment package, cargo net, carpeted floor mats, and Homelink mirror. Here are the details:

MSRP: $23,150
    Invoice: $22,125
    Internet Price: $20,225
    Edmunds TMV: $21,949

Rebates Available: $1500 Bonus Cash

Alright, so I am a bit confused. How is the internet price already lower than invoice-rebates? From what I have read on here, the rebates and incentives available earlier in the year on this car led to out the door prices under $20,000. Does that look possible here?

I would like some advice on what a good price range would be to pay for this car (not including TTL). Should I offer $1500 less than the internet price? $1500 less than the TMV price? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    with the pop package, numbers on long island are between 19 and 20k