Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Should I return my 94 Camry-Sludge in oil

94camry294camry2 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Hello:

I recently purchased a 94 V6 Camry from a Lexus dealership. Soon after, I notice a huge cloud of white smoke emerge every time I started the car before and after work.
Since I had a 30 day warrantee from the dealership, I took it back. The service dept said they found a sizeable amount of sludge in the car. They offered to "clean out" the sludge or exchange the car for another vehicle. I have to make a decision soon so any emails with help would truly be appreciated.
Thanks
mknopf@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    I say take it back. Who needs someone else's problems?

Obviously the dealer didn't know what was up either. Probably thought it was one of those suburban creampuffs. Right!!

Good thing you got it from a Lexus dealer.... most other dealers would throw you under the bus. In most states, once you sign a contract stating "as is" you are an owner, baby.

Next time find a car owned by someone who loved it and took good care of it, with receipts, records, all the important stuff.
  • Options
    mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    If you are really in love with the car, have them clean it and then begin to run synthetic (fully synthetic, not the blends) oil in the car. Mobil 1 is my personal favorite and is a product that has been around a long time. Synthetic oil has much better detergent and cleaning properties than standard oil and will not allow the sludge to return. Toyota engines are imfamous to sludge problems. You will pay a little bit more for the synthetic oil (~ $4 qt), but can also extend your drain intervals safely to twice the normal. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    It mostly involves Toyotas. Review it and make your decision.

Personally if I found sludge, I would get rid of the car. It requires basically taking the motor completely apart, cleaning it and reassembling. Or get a new motor.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Don't take a chance. Others with this problem have had to have the engine rebuilt so a cleaning job may not suffice. Get anoeehr car and have it checked out by your personal mechanic, never trust a dealer or a anyone selling a used car!
  • Options
    ocelot1ocelot1 Member Posts: 101
    get rid of it or tell the dealer to install a new toyata motor ( NEW NOT REBUILT) Their fix for people who have this problem is to void the warranty and replace the engine at the owners expence.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If it's white, it's probably steam, which indicates a head gasket problem or a crack somewhere allowing coolant to leak into a cylinder. I'd dump it and take something else.
  • Options
    davedave1davedave1 Member Posts: 45
    IF and only if they rebuild the engine. Depending on the miles on the car, if they properly rebuild the engine, it'll cost them about 3500 to 4500 depending on the severity of the problem. The reason i say 'lucky' is if they do the correct work and if they warranty it for at least a year or so, you have that essentially new engine under the hood which should last a long time.
    Of course, only you can judge if they are a good enough dealership to really take care of the problem.
    If any doubts about this, ask them to search for a similar used car and swap your smoker for it!!
  • Options
    lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Just take their offer of another car... and this time have it checked out before you buy it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Step to edge of platform. Wait for signal from jumpmaster. Bail out.
  • Options
    tanrclantanrclan Member Posts: 1
    Swap cars. Or maybe offer to take a rebuilt engine with 24 months warranty. SLudge is a symptom of lack on routine maintenance. Flushing wouldn't get it all out.
  • Options
    spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Yes, bail out. Even without a signal from the jumpmaster. But, on the way down, do carefully review the alternate cars that you may land in.
  • Options
    s_threes_three Member Posts: 9
    you can get your money back and not get a car from them at all.
    The biggest problem in getting a used car from a dealer is that you don't get a feel for the previous owner.
    Decent owner - decent car. Crappy owner - crappy car.
  • Options
    autorx1autorx1 Member Posts: 1
    The cause is the strict tolerances in the oil galleries any engine will get contaminants and on these engines they invairibly lodge in friction points. Your oil ( makes no difference what brand
    or mineral or synthetic ) can not clean out the contaminant which quicklys turns to oil sludge burning & smoking. Your dealer may want you to
    subject your vehicle to a solvent flush (unsafe for your engine seals) and will not treat the underlying cause. Read Terry Dyson's comments
    www.auto-rx.com and be rid of this problem.
  • Options
    mikethemechmikethemech Member Posts: 1
    I am doing research for a friend who has a '99 sienna with less than 40k on the clock. She was haveing the oil changes done with factory oil filters and mobil one every 7000 miles (the factory recomended interval is 7000)by another frien and retired mechanic. It now has a siezed engine. The dealer says it is not going to warenty the engine saying she has no proof that the oil was changed. In my almost 20 years as a professional mechanic I have never seen an engine this new be so full of sludge. It looks like black Jello. How do we get Toyota to own up to the fact the they are responsible for this. Anyone had a similar experience. With such a new car?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I assume you've perused the engine sludge threads. That's the main thrust-- Sienna (and similar) sludge.
  • Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    99 rx300 44,000 miles,oil sample showed glycol in oil.They still say NO warranty repair.
    Class action is in progress,e-mail me for more info.
  • Options
    mapoe3mapoe3 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2000 Toyota Sienna back in April 2000, it now has 32K miles on it and I am being told by Toyota that due to not changing my oil or changing improperly, I now have sludge in the engine and have to have it rebuilt or replaced. Of course, on my dime, it's not a warranty issue. My local mechanic has checked it out and knowing how my husband and I take care of our cars, feels it is possibly a design defect in the engine. Are you getting anywhere with Toyota?
  • Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    class action in the works
  • Options
    lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    Two new sludgists come forth (suddenly)
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    suspect of Japanese cars,maybe because of Pearl Harbor.
  • Options
    gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
This discussion has been closed.