Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older S-10's

Comments

• NativeTxNativeTx Member Posts: 10
    Well... I have an S-10 Blazer ( I know this is the PU section but I have one of those also ) with over 148,000 on it and I always use reg. oil. I am the second owner of this truck and it had a little over 25000 when I bought it back in 1992. I have the 4.3 V6 which I just love... every time I think about getting rid of it I can't find any reason too. So I guess I am going to run it till the thing just dies. My goal now is to get over 200,000. I don't know anything about those synthetics, I change my oil every 3000 miles (or so) and that seems to work fine for me.

Just my 2 cents...
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The thing that kills this engine, and most others is when it springs a leak in the radiator hose, loses the coolant, and your daughter keeps on driving it. Keep the coolant and hoses fresh, this engine will go 300,000. Neglect the cooling system, overheat it, it's finished right then.

I have a low mileage '90 S10 with 127,000. Friend of mine works for company that drives fleet of delivery Astro Vans. They have 4.3L and most have 200,000+, one has 277,000. Pretty amazing for commercial use with multiple drivers.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks to both of you for your posts, and, nativetx, you are certainly welcome here, even though you were talking about a Blazer rather than a pickup. (You said you had one of those too: what year is it, and has it been a good truck?)

I would really like to hear from someone who has used the Max Life oil. They have testamonial letters posted on their web site, and they sound encouraging. That's advertising though, and you don't exaxtly get an unbiased opinion there.

tom
  • tombayertombayer Member Posts: 23
    I noticed a few earlier posts about car speakers, so I felt I just had to put in my two cents worth.

I've been modifying car audio systems since it meant hanging an 8 track player under the dash. What I like to do to really upgrade the sound is install seperate speakers. Go to radio shack and buy a pair of their universal 100 watt 3 way crossovers. This will enable you to have correctly wired seperate woofers, midranges and tweeters. I have even installed a 2 way crossover on the midrange output to have high and low midrange speakers. The factory speakers usually make acceptable midrange speakers, but I usually replace them with aftermarket speakers any way. I usually install the tweeters in the doors, up high. The woofers must always be mounted in a wooden speakers enclosure for good bass response and to prevent unwanted vibrations. I always put in the largest power amp that can physically be mounted conveniently. The factory radio (head unit) are usually quite good, unless yours doesn't have a cd or cassette or whatever. I also like to use the factory radio because it does not draw attention to the fact that I have a lot of bucks into the stereo system and they do not attract thieves. I always try to hide the installation of components as much as possible for the same reason, and to preserve the stock factory appearance of the interior as much as possible.

One word about reponsible use of such a high power sound system. I abhor "boom trucks". Obnoxious use of excessive bass in public incites road rage. The only times I "kick out the jams" is usually when I am alone on the highway with the windows up. Around the city I turn down the volume at stoplights. Some of my vehicles have had over 700 watts of clean undistorted music power (that was in a '93 GMC Sonoma, the S-10's twin).
    Thanks for your post. You are one serious dude when it come to audio.

I'm pretty happy with the new stuff in my S-10, but I am certainly not as demanding as you must be. I guess I am nowhere near what you would call an audiophile.

tom
    Hi, People!

Just got back from my second long trip in my S-10.

It ran real nice and smooth and got 27.0 MPG going up to Illinois and 25.6 MPG coming back, but that tank included some in-town driving before I started the trip home.

What a fantastic little truck! Love it!

It now has just a hair under 138,600 miles. I have put a little over 4000 miles on it since buying it on 7/16/01.

tom
    Hey, wake up everybody! Let's hear about your S-10!

tom
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    what do you wanna hear? My dads goes from the house to the steel mills every day and back home. Thats the extent of its life
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    my s-10 goes everywhere with me..its a 1993 S-10 Tahoe with 2.8 and stick. its got 110,000 miles on the clock and i look to log about 80k more before looking for a new one. its a great truck and i havent done any repairs or work in 20k of driving. i get 18 mpg in town and 27 on the highway. i love it.
    Well, you said it goes EVERY DAY, so it must be reliable, huh? How many miles on it? Which engine does it have? Had to have much work done on it?

Thanks for your post.

tom
    I remembered your earlier post with the pic showing your Siverado and the S-10. I went back and reread the post, so I know that the S-10 has the 4.3.

Any more details would be appreciated, like how reliable has it been over the years, and stuff like that.

tom
    Thanks for your post. Love to hear about good old S-10's with lots of miles and still going strong.

I never do much in town driving, but it sounds like we get very similar highway mileage.

Got any pics to post?

tom
    Vidtech, you can tell me "I told you so," if I don't like it, but yours is the only negative info I have received on the Max Life, so I guess I'm gonna try it.

I appreciate your taking the time to email me about it, so please don't be upset that I have decided to try it anyway.

I'll be sure and post how it turns out for me. I have bought the oil already, but I won't be due for an oil change for another 1500 miles.

If anyone else out there has any opinion about Max Life, please post a message, especially if you have had a bad experience with it like Vidtech.

thanks

tom
    The silverado is mine and the S-10 is his. 92 4.3 S-10 tahoe reg cab stock with a leer cap.

last wednesday it went over 100K.

Never had any problems until about 2 months ago. Seemed to idle rough and die when backing out of the garage. Dad had a new exhaust put on (catalytic converter was shot). Ran better but still not good. Changed all sensors and i mean all of them. Got fed up took it to the chevy dealer. They replaced the fuel filter and it ran better than ever (he replaced the filter 15K prior).

Running good. Itll be passed down to my brother next year.

Ryan
    That't the sort of info I like to get. Might help me out with my S-10 sometime.

tom
    ask away

my dad is a mechanic and has done all the work himself (brakes, etc)

New shocks are coming. Any suggestions? I ordered bilsteins for my silverado but for a truck with 100K he doesnt need fancy ones
    well the S-10 is broken down

Dad had a bad day. Got to work noticed tire was low checked it later and it was flat changed it. Then he went to start it after work truck would turn over but wouldnt start. Checked it out no spark.

I had to go pick him up he left it. Guy is leaving him a new control module to change see if it works. If not possible new ECM.
    Bummer! Let us know how it turns out, OK?

tom
    i will hopefully its this sensor

will find out tomorrow im sure its nothing major
    something to do with the distributer cap (he didnt go into detail)

that led to the ignition control module burning up. Changed those and its running again
    That's great that the S-10 is up and running again. I guess it wasn't too serious, huh?

tom
    nah nothing major seemed major cause it wouldnt run

Its running great (except i have to go get a tire fixed for it tomorrow it has a nail in it)
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    When GM introduces the new Colorado, the replacement for the S-10 in 2004, I anticipate at least a $2-5K increase in price. That is because the S-10 has to be one of the best truck bargains out there, new or used. GM's track record seems to be to keep price increases down on existing models, but when they drop one model and replace it with a totally new one, watch out!!

When a new 2004 S-10, er, Colorado starts pushing $25-35K, that old paid-for truck in your driveway will look downright beautiful!!

Joe
    Thanks for the post. Sure hasn't been much going on in here lately.

Are those Colorados ugly? I heard they are bigger than the S-10's. Very few new models of any vehicle have ever looked as good to me as the ones they replaced.

I don't like the styling of the 94 and up S-10 nearly as well as the good old "square" S-10 like my '89.

I just put the 5000th mile on my truck since buying it on 7/16/01. It's up to 139,503 on the odometer now. I'm lovin' that little truck! It runs great, hasn't required any oil between changes so far, and gets great gas mileage.

tom
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Been reading about your s-10. Reminds me
    of the good old days when I had 2 of them.
    My first truck was a toy hi lux 74. Bought
    during the gas crunch. Man was it good on
    gas....Thas about it..Many problems with
    head gaskets and blowing off the exaust
    system....RUST RUST...Here in NY by 79
    it was rusted to pieces.....And talk about
    a lousy heater I froze to death. So in 79
    we had another so called energy crisis and
    I bought a 79 toy...same problems.
    By 83 i smartened up and bought a 83 s-10
    4 cyl stick 2wd...It had a Isuzu motor...
    but no problems and traded in 97 for another
    s-10 2.5 4 cyl stick kept that one till 90
    and got into full size 4 wd gm trucks ever
    since.......Geo
    One thing I loved about the chevys was
    they had GREAT heaters and the bodies
    looked good with no rust after 3-4 years.
    Never had many warranty issues like the
    toys....When I did GM service was 100%
    better than Toys arrogant service dept.
    At one time my 2 cousins and uncle had
    s-10s all at once. We all get the GM
    employee discount so that helps a lot.
    My cousins 86 lasted untill last year
    till it wouldn't pass inspection. Rust
    bug finally took it after 14 years.....
    Good luck with yours and enjoy one of the
    BEST trucks on the planet !!!!.......Geo
    My dad has a 99 s-10 4cyl auto LS. Not
    one problem about 18k on it. Great on
    gas. Man is it sorta slow but only a
    4 cyl...But he tows his bass boat or
    the jet ski around and it sees many
    trips to the lumber yard hauling stuff.
    He laughs when I tell him the lousy mpg
    with my fullsize one.................geo
    Thanks for the posts! Sure gets boring when no one is posting.

I still can't get over how great that little S-10 of mine has turned out to be! I have to pinch myself to see if I'm only dreaming that I got such a nice truck for only $2450 with tax and license included.

tom

OUCH! Nope, I'm not dreaming! :)
  • brentebcbrentebc Member Posts: 6
    Just bought my first s-10 in May. Was driving down a country road when I saw it sitting there in the front yard of a farmhouse. A 91 s-10 Tahoe with a 2.8 ,5-speed,no rust and only 48,100 miles!
    The old farmer said he was selling it because he was 81 and couldnt see well enough to drive. He was asking $4300 for it but I got him down to $3950. I wasn't really looking for a pick-up but I always thought it would be handy to have especially since we sold my wifes mini-van and got her a 01' Chrysler Sebring Coupe. So far I really enjoy it, once I got the carbon cleaned out with a few bottles of Techron and premium gas, it now hums right along. The interior looks like new, even though it has no A/C or cruise control I hauled a 6x12 U-Haul 400 miles in August to deliver my son to college with no complaint from the engine or my son. The only customizing I have done so far is install a small tach on the dash, by the window pillar, just dont like to drive a stick w/o one. It my not be the fastest thing on the road but I get a kick out of it! Will continue to monitor all the posts.
    See you on down the road!
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    There's lots of hype out there, but here's a test conducted by an Acura NSX owner that proved interesting. He pitted his "custom" $144 a jar Zymol NSX wax against Zaino, Mequiars and the inexpensive Zymol wax sold in discount stores.

He also used several other NSX owners to help judge the results. Considering that many of these guys think of their cars as if it were their religion (there's something very sad in that thought) I knew they would "take no prisoners" when it came to determining which wax worked best.

Here's the link to see the results of the test:

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Have a good day!

Joe

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

How about a pic of that baby? Would love to see it. What color is it?

I can't believe it, 48K miles on a '91!!! That was sure a lucky find for you.

How's the gas mileage? I just love the good mileage mine gives me... about 24.5 average.

Mine is up to 139,6xx miles now ans still running great. Still haven't had to add oil between changes so far.

Let's hear some more details about yours, and, if possible, post some pics.

tom
    Forgot to ask... where do you live? Your profile doesn't say.

I am in western Ky, just outside the little town of Greenville.

Is your truck a short wheel base? Forgot to ask that too.

tom
    How exciting, huh? I just had the oil changed in my S-10 for the second time since I bought it.

It had only been 2500 miles since my the last oil change, but I had bought the oil and filter a couple weeks ago, and I was tired of the stuff being in the way in the cab of my truck.

My truck used only half a quart of oil in those 2500 miles since the previous oil change, and I can sure live with that!

I found out this time that it really takes 4 quarts and 6 ounces of oil to get the oil level to show exactly full with a filter change, and I ALWAYS change the filter when the oil is changed (doesn't everyone?).

Last time the oil was changed, they only put in 4.0 quarts, so it must have been about 6 ounces low to start with after that oil change, which makes it even nicer that the oil level was only half a quart low after 2500 miles (the truck had used only about 10 ounces of oil, not 16 ounces).

I have Max Life 5W-30 in it now, so we'll see how my truck likes that stuff.

Gave my baby a good bath today, so he's looking good (I think it's a he, cause I'm calling him Roy after an uncle who was born on July 16th, the same date that I bought the truck).

Man, what a FANTASTIC little truck! I am getting 24.5 miles per gallon on my regular driving, and as I have said, it uses almost no oil between changes.

Roy has 139,700 miles on him now.

tom
    hey just had a tire question

my dads tires are looking like crap. Only got 30K miles out of the 205's on 14 inch rims which are rated for 70K. Well the tire guy told him at (all terrain) tires last longer and thats what my dad wants. Also for better snow traction. He wont make it this winter

He is letting me get the new tires for him ( i want him to get some 285 BFGS but he said NO haha)

Any suggestion on brands? I am thinking size 215 on 14 inch rims???

Thanks

Ryan
    I like the BFG's. I think their AT's are great tires. I put a set of them on my Jeep (31x10.50's).

tom
    yea they are good but he doesnt wanna spend alot of money since this is mainly a work truck. I couldnt find any at tires at tirerack that were 215/75/R14
    My truck had Sears Guardsman tires on it when I bought it, and they seem to be good tires. I don't know who actually makes them, but I am happy with them for now.

tom
    Thanks for the post. I live in NE Indiana. My 91 is white with red interior. When I bought it in May from the original owner it had 48,158 miles. Like I mentioned in my 1st post it has the tahoe package, no A/C, or cruise or power windows or locks but it does have a sliding rear window and map lights, am/fm cassette and chrome bumpers. Havent done much to it except for the tach and some new white lettered tires(205/75-14 BFG Long Trail TA) to replace the white walls that came on it and a tonneau cover. Plan to keep it pretty much stock. The engine looks like new, no leaks or dirt. When I got it I had all the fluids changed, (trans, diff, radiator, oil) and just for safety reasons I replaced all the brakes as well as the brake fluid. This thing still had the original brakes! Just got some shocks but I havent put them on yet (monroe sesamatics for the front with monroe sensamatic load levelers for the rear) I get approx 24-25 MPG. Will post some pictures this week.
    how much did you pay for the shocks and where did you buy? My dad needs new shocks for his 92. Let me know how you like them also

(im from nw indiana)
    What is this, a Hoosier convention? I am originally from Hammond, Indiana.

Brentebc, did you see the pic of my S-10 (I posted one in one of the early posts in this discussion)? You said yours is white with red interior and has the Tahoe package. Well, so is mine! I do have AC, though. You still didn't say whether yours is short wheel base. Mine is.

You get the same gas mileage that I do, about 24.5.

What town do you live in, ryanbab? Your dad works in a steel mill, so I'll bet you live very close to Hammond. I worked one summer at Youngstown Steel (it has probably changed names by now). I think it was about 1968 when I worked there.

tom

P.S. I just checked, and it is post number 10 where my pic is posted.

P.P.S. I'm with you on the tach, brentebc. It does seem strange to have a five speed and no tach! How much lettuce did you have to invest in getting that tach, and how hard was it to hook up? I'm NOT a mechanic, but I might want to have one installed, if it isn't too expensive.
    actually i do live in hammond

youngstown steel? DOnt know about that since i was born in 79. Currently there is LTV (having alot of problems), bethlehem (just filed chpt 11), US Steel, and ispat inland (where my dad works).

Did you grow up in this area?

Ryan
    Yep, born and raised in Hammond. Went to Hammond High. Went on to Purdue for college.

I think that LTV may be the same mill that was once known as Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company, where I worked one summer at the No. 3 Sheet Mill.

The two biggies back then were Youngstown and Inland.

What part of Hammond do you live in? I was on Woodward Avenue, two blocks east of Calumet Avenue off of 165th Street.

Columbia Pipe and Supply was on 165th, right at the end of our street. Woodward was only one block long, and most people never heard of it.

tom
    My 91 is a SWB as well. I live in Ft. Wayne and bought the shocks froms Hires Auto Parts (local parts store) Paid $104 for the rears and $66 for the fronts. Havent put them on yet, plan to do it next week-end, will let you know how I like them.
    I paid $82 for the tach from auto-guage on the net. Put it right on the left by the window pillar, attached it to the speaker grill by the screw. The tach is 3 inches in diameter so it is unobtrusive. Was fairly easy to hook up, just four wires, one to the distributor one to the fuse box for power, one to the light switch and one to a ground. Took me about 1 hr to hook up. I really like this truck, just today I used it to haul my 19 foot boat out of my lake and to my lake cottage garage for storage. It was only about a mile but the truck handled it well, wouldnt want to haul it on the highway though, the 2.8 just doesnt have enough umph for that. I have one question, maybe you can answer. Does the S-10 have posi-traction? I didnt think so but today when I pulled my boat out of the water both my rear wheels were spinning.
    Glad you posted again.

I don't know about posi-traction on an S-10, but I suppose it was an option, and I guess yours could have it. Don't know if mine does or not.

I guess I'll have to lay a little patch of rubber and see if I get rubber on both sides. :)

I sort of think I don't have posi, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info on the tach.

tom
    i know in the silverados the option for the locking rear diff is G80

Check your glove box and if you see this you probably have the option

DOnt know for sure my dads doesnt have it
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Brentebc and tsjay, I've got a '96 ext cab with only 24K on it. Anyone want it? I need something bigger. Don't know what I was thinking having 3 kids-just can't stuff them in there with any degree of comfort. The only thing I hate about my truck is those darned, loud-mouthed Uniroyals. They're so noisey!!! Is there a way to shut them up aside from getting Michelins?
    That's low mileage all right! Since the 02's are out, your truck is considered six years old, so you are averaging only 4K per year. You ought to get a good price for it or a good trade-in.

I'm afraid that I wouldn't be interested: I have the perfect little work truck in my '89 S-10. It only cost me $2450 tax and all, and it runs great while getting excellent gas mileage. It suits my purposes just fine.

Good luck in selling yours, and I hope you get something you'll really like when you get your next vehicle. I can see where having three kids to haul around could be a problem in an S-10, even with the extended cab.

tom
    Well, my friends, my S10 rolled over on the 140,000 mile mark as I drove home from work today.

Still goin' strong, and I'm still lovin' it!

tom
    The last three tanks of gas on my S10 have each checked out at exactly 24.5 MPG when the mileage is rouned off to the nearest one tenth of a mile per gallon.

I have had the habit for years and years of checking mileage on whatever vehicle I have been driving, and I had never had three tanks check out exactly to the same MPG right down to the tenth before this.

Weird, huh?

tom
    Almost 25 mpg... wow tom. I wish my 01 2500
    could do that.....13 to 18 mpg for me.
    And seen 18 only once..............Geo
This discussion has been closed.