Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ethinkethink Member Posts: 32
    I spoke with GM today (Wednesday, June 2, 2004) about this recall (GM Recall # 040104).

Is is now an ACTIVE recall for ALL 1996 and 1997 Auroras.

This recall does show for my Aurora on the mygmlink website.

According to the dealer, the work will take approximately 1.5 days.
    So parts appear to be available.

Does anyone have any additional information?
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    I get in my 95 this morning and turn it on. Immeadiatly a continuous "electronic chirping" noise starts coming from somewhere behind the radio in that center dash area. I had no idea what it was nor have I heard it before , just non stop. beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep , from somewhere in the center dash area. Well I pull out of the garage and my twilight sentinel turns off the lights and the sound immeadiately stops.

I turned the lights on and off and the noise started up everytime I turned the lights on. I also noticed when I tried to adjust the power seat, the seat or motor didnt move and the "beep" noise started up as I kept the seat adjust button depressed. No other electronic device seemed to cause the noise , but the seat and lights.

So I turn the car off and on again. And the "beep" went away and everything went back to normal and I havent heard it since.

Does anybody know what in the world this possibly could be??? I have no clue.

P.S. It defiantley was not any type of warning chime or anyting like that. It was a totally different tone.

SOrry for the long post guys.
  • pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    Do you think you can get the dealer to give you the part# for the fuel rail to be used in the recall? As of Tues., my tech said that 04014 (or is 040104 as you typed above!?) still lists no info yet, but I missed a call back from him later. We are curious as to what part they will be using and if it is the current one for the 98-99.
    Jay
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    Same as my post above it happened again.

This time I isolated the sound and its not from the center dash like I originally thought. It is actually coming from underneath the drivers seat.

I cant tell from which component under there becasue there are quite a few electrical items underneath the seat. It defiantely seems like its realated to the twilight sentinel, because it stops if I turn it off.

Anybody know what item underneath the drivers seat is connected to the twilight sentinal if any. Or anybody know what undreneath the seat can create a steady beeping noise. It almost sounds like somekind of alarm.
    Well the Recall may be active, BUT information on the replacement fuel rail parts does NOT appear to be in the GM database yet.

Does anyone have any additional information?
  • buckdogbuckdog Member Posts: 19
    Yea, I called 2 dealers yesterday and had to give them the last 8 #'s of my vin and they both said my '95 is not part of any recall. In fact they both said they haven't heard of any recall for any Auroras that has to do with the bad fuel rails? I don't know what to think now. I don't know if they're just playing stupid, or if they are just plain stupid. I sure know I don't want to jepordize my or my familys safety over taking the chance this part could break and cause injury. GM IMO needs to take a more proactive stance on this issue. This is a SAFETY issue.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    After learning from GM yesterday that the '95s weren't currently covered under the elusive "active" recall, I just called NHTSA to complain.

I got nowhere. Basically, the NHTSA said that if I gave GM the VIN of my car (I did) and they said it wasn't covered, then that is that. I told them that when I pressed them, they also told me that NO '95s are covered under this recall even though the NHTSA website shows the model years 95 - 97 should be.

GET THIS: The woman on the other end said that they just told me that to get me off the phone!!

I said I wasn't the only one told that, that many other '95 owners were being told the same thing. And you guessed it, she could care less. Said it only triggers on the VIN and the only way to tell if our VIN is covered is to call the manufacturer or the dealer.

Now I'm mad.
    Product Safety - Engine Fuel Rail-Replace #04014 - (05/26/2004)

04014 -- Engine Fuel Rail - Replace

1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

This bulletin will be revised when service parts become available to add 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora and 1995-1997 Cadillac DeVille, Seville and Eldorado model vehicles.

-------------------------------------------------
    SORRY GUYS! I cannot post the entire bulletin - But it looks like the '95 might require a different part # than the '96-97's. The entire bulletin is quit in depth and I've read it and this is what it is.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    That's as I hoped. Hope I can hold out.

BTW, where did you find that? Can you post a link?
    PWD needed for link to web site

This information that I got comes straight form GM and is given to the dealers. It explains everything in great detail. If you have specific concerns with reguard to the recall I will try to answer your questions. But to get my '95 fixed it looks like I have to wait like everyone else.
       IT just pisses me off to get the responce from the dealers yesterday that I got "Don't know of any recall". I know they knew! They are playing-plain STUPID.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    well i got my kyb struts today. i also ordered the boots and strut mounts well, what said was a strut mount. what i got was spring seats, somthing im sure i didn't even need. the picture shows a mount, the box says a mount, but there's a sticker on it that says spring seat, and thats what it is. a circle piece of plastic and a piece of rubber....this is bs.

the strut mount IS what alot of you are suggesting my problem is, right? is it a metal piece with ball bearings and three bolts on top of it? thats what the pic looks like. from what i can tell, the upper strut mount is $78 a piece from rockauto . com. so i should order this, right? anything else i should get? i should be calling tire rack to complain, i spent $50 on some mis-advertised piece of plastic.
    i see rockauto also sells "dorman" brand, they have the strut mounts for $50 a piece, so another $100+, anything else i should order too?

thanks
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    MyGMLink has an 8-page .pdf file about the recall ID 04014. It includes all 95-97 Auroras. This file was not there yesterday. It includes information about reimbursement for repairs already made. What was there yesterday said something about 1.5 days to repair. Today's file says 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Les
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    The spring seats you got from tirerack, did you look at the pic on thier website? I ordered the struts, boots and mounts from tirerack too. I really hope I dont get the spring seats too. I looked at the pic and they are definetly strut mounts not spring seats. Maybe someone switched your boxes. Darn, I'm kinda depressed now I might get spring seats.

Why did you go w/monroes instead of ac delco's? They sound like truck shocks, might they be stiffer? They're white too, if I go w/them I'm going to paint them silver to match the kybs.

Lastly, does anyone know the spring rates of the STS vs. the Aurora? If they're stiffer, they'd bolt right up, right?
    On Wednesday, June 2, MyGMLink had information that my 1996 Aurora was covered by the 04014 Fuel Rail Recall.

The PDF files were link were displayed, but when I clicked on the PDF icons, there was nothing in the PDF files!

Today, June 3, MyGMLink has NO information about the recall!

Strange.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Document ID# 1522412

Product Safety - Engine Fuel Rail-Replace #04014 - (05/26/2004)
    1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

This bulletin will be revised when service parts become available to add 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora and 1995-1997 Cadillac DeVille, Seville and Eldorado model vehicles.

Condition
    General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles. These vehicles have a condition in which the original equipment nylon tubing used in the fuel rail construction may degrade and crack. Cracking of the fuel rail can result in a fuel leak into the engine compartment. The operator may experience fuel odor and possibly engine stalling due to loss of fuel pressure to the engine. If this event were to occur, and if an ignition source were present, an engine compartment fire could occur.

Correction
    Dealers are to inspect and, if necessary, replace the engine fuel rail with a new stainless steel fuel rail.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are all 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles; and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year Division Model From Through

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora T4100001 T4124133
    1997 Oldsmobile Aurora V4100001 V4127927

Important
    Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) before beginning recall repairs.

For US
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a Campaign Initiation Detail Report containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data has been prepared and will be loaded to the GM DealerWorld, Recall Information website. Dealers that have no involved vehicles currently assigned will not have a report available in GM DealerWorld......

Parts Information
    Parts Pre-Ship Information - For US

Important
    An initial supply of Rail Kits and Seal Kits required to complete this program will be pre-shipped to involved dealers of record. This pre-shipment is scheduled to begin the week of May 24, 2004 and will be approximately 15% of each dealer's involved vehicles. Pre-shipped parts will be charged to dealer's open parts account.

Additional parts, if required, are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO=Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO=Customer Special Order.

Yada, yada, yada................
    you will get the spring seats. look closely at the website, on the side it says "front upper spring seats" or somthing to that effect. its complete bs, because it says "strut mount" and shows a picture of a strut mount. i ended up going to checkers for the real strut mount kit, both cost me $138 after tax, and i have to wait till monday. i think ill call tire rack and complain, that is really shady advertising.

i went with the monroe sensatracs because someone had posted here, or maybe gmforums that they were a tad firmer than oem. the white does kinda suck, maybe ill paint them silver too, wonder what kind of paint to get. or maybe just paint the kyb's white too. i dont want to sound ricey, but id at least like them to match.
    My dealer just called me that the fuel rail recall parts had arrived this morning (Friday, June 4).

GM estimates this to be a (1) hour job in terms of labor.
  • pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    Grab us those part#s, ethink! At least I can order the part and have another mechanic put it on as the dealer is saying that unless the part description mentions 95, they can't put it on for liability reasons. This might be my best shot at least getting reimbursed later. I really think it will be a problem if I ask for reimbursement for having to put on a new, old-style rail and then later have them put on a stainless recall rail (if/when 95s are added) and expect them to be willing to pay for both repairs.
  • gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    I thought that us guys with the 95's were the only ones that had broken rails. It cost me over $500 to get mine repaired and the 95's are not on the original recalls. That sounds crazy.

Greg
    anyone know how to change the rear height of the car? i need to know how to adjust the airshock leveling system.

monday i will be getting the final part needed (front strut mounting/bearing kit) in addition to the struts, im installing eibach lowering springs. so the rear height will be about 1" lower than stock. anyone know how to adjust the rear level? any specifics would be awesome

cant wait to get rid of the typical gm car "on stilts" look :D
    After seeing a May 2004 recall notice on MyGMLink on 6/3, I called my dealer 6/4. Spoke to the service guy who told me it wasn't a recall yet because he had no information and no parts; he expected parts July-August. Then I called Olds Customer Assistance, 800-630-65370. The woman I spoke with claimed no knowledge of the recall, but she would check on it. Then she asked if it would be OK to put me on hold while she contacted my dealer. I said 'sure.' After a few minutes, she bridged me on with the same dealership service guy I had spoken to 15 minutes earlier. He asked to schedule a service visit next week, mumbling something about parts kits coming in soon. I have an appointment on June 14 for the recall repair.

Today, Saturday, June 5, I received in the mail a recall notice from GM. It is very similar to the one on MyGMLink except it specifies "all 1997 model year Olmobile Aurora vehicles." The notice on MyGMLink states "all 1995-1997 model year Olmobile Aurora vehicles."
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    You can replace the rod under the rear seat part of the chassis that connects to the square box on the control arm and to the body above with a threaded rod like I did or you could just cut the rod in two pieces with a inch or more out of the center and use a two inch split bushing with the rod ends inserted the appropriate amount into the bushing and clamped. The length of the rod determines the height the air shocks hold the rear body at above the suspension.
    ok, i sorta get it :P. thanks! ill take a look tomorrow when im installing it. to make it easier to find, is this on the drivers side?

so you dropped your aurora? or just the back? you dont remember what size (thickness) or how long the bar you replaced it with was, do you? or what type of threading? i could pick this stuff up after work tomorrow, but i cant go anywhere once its started till its done.

thanks again
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Hello:
    Remember during last winter when I said I could not get the heat to work in the aROARa? That it only blew heat out of the passenger side vents. The other vents blew cold air (presumably from the cold temperatures outside).

Well Hello! Now the air conditioner will not work cause it will only blow cold air out of the passenger side vents. The other vents blow hot air (presumably from the hot temperatures outside).
    I am going to the dealer tomorrow. What do you think the chances are that the dealer will re-repair the car without charge since it sounds like the same problem all overe again.

Predictions?????????
    henry, turn the heat on, that will get you your cold air :P

sorry, i have no idea.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Henri, I believe that's what happens when your AC system is low on refrigerant. If that's not the problem, then it's the "blend box" where the hot and cool air are mixed, depending upon your temperature setting. Seems to me that problems with this was a common issue with the '95's.

Let us know the outcome.

--Robert
    my A/C doesn't work either, didn't last summer either. i dont think its engaging, but i havn't really looked into it ive got more important stuff to fix (suspension tomorrow, radiatior/bumper next month?? im definatly not driving this in the winter, parking it

its nice to have windows to roll down :P
    I went with trial and error on the thickness of the bar I transferred the black plastic ends to. The replacement threaded bar stock screws into the threaded spacer in the center of the two pieces of bar stock. Thats why if I did it over again I would use the split one inch bushing so I wouldn't have to disconnect an end to make adjustments. I took out less than 3/4inch from the length to start with. I'm not sure what length I finally ended up with. Now I,m waiting for a used compressor that I ordered because the old compressors return fitting broke off the body.
    well, the front struts/springs/mounts/balljoints are in. im doing the back tomorrow afterwork, but i took it for a spin. it still makes the popping noise on right turns.

the only things even left are drive axels or steering rack. how do i test so i replace the one that needs replacing? Is it possible to grease the rack? does it have zerks? because i know the problem went away for a month after i got a oilchange/front end grease

when its jacked up, i can grab the tire and turn them about 3/4" (as if i was turning the wheel to make a turn) but its not only loud pops, its somtimes soft multiple pops. ughh......

does look a little funny with the front dropped a inch and the back at regular height
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    I received my recall notice for my '97 on 6/3. I will be taking it in within the next couple of weeks. No recall on the '95 as of yet. My dealer said it would probably be several months before it comes out.

Just got back from a 2200 mile trip. Average speed was 60mph, average mpg was 26. I thought that was outstanding for a car that weighs as much as the Aurora.
    Getting ready to do the road trip thing. I leave on Saturday and the car is at the dealer now getting the once over. I figure by the time I finish I will need another oil change. New Jerey to Virginia to South Carolina to North Carolina to South Carolina to Georgia back to Virginia then home to New Jersey.

I NOW RECITE THE AURORA PRAYER:
    May the car always start after that little 1/2 second delay it likes to do every now and then. May the FPR not act up. May the fuel pump keep on turning. May the cop be an Olds fan that can not bring himself to give a ticket to a fellow Aurorian.
    Henri, what was the result of your "no A/C" issue?

Re: your hesitation in starting, have you changed out the Fuel Pressure Regulator? That's the symptom I had when my replacement FPR's O-ring was bad (too large, GM part screwup).

May the wind always be at your back, and the police looking at other drivers,

--Robert
  • nate811nate811 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 98 with the following symptoms:
    1. Turn light switch to manually turn on lights does not work (has twighlight setting, when turning switch it is apparent that it doesn't work).
    2. Taillights do not come on at night with the headlights.
    3. Dash lights do not come on (only affecting speedometer, fuel gauge, etc. directly above the steering wheel, other lights such as radio and time display work fine).
    4. Right turn signal often will not blink.

I was considering starting with trying to fix the light switch problem and would appreciate advice on what that involves or suggestions as to whether there may be another cause for the taillights and dash light problem.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    My 99 Classic has 35k miles and I thought I'd put in a new fuel filter. I've changed them out on other autos before. Is this an easy DIY job on the Aurora? Where is it located? Thanks for any tips.
    It's located just ahead of the driver's side rear tire, and it's not a bad job to do oneself (just make sure you relieve fuel pressure by loosening/removing the gas cap and letting the car sit for 30 minutes or so). Have some rags ready, but, on both my and my mother-in-law's 98's, it didn't gusher out as much as my wife's GTP did :-)

--Robert
    If you take a piece of hose or a mechanics stethoscope, you should be able to isoleat oif the noise is from the rack or somewhere else. You may be avble to isolaate where it's coming from by putting your hand on various items under there as well and feeling how sharp the vibration on the parts as the pops occur. It soundslike you're almost there. Let us know how this turns out.
    New Compressor
    im going to bring it into a suspension shop on friday, and have them do a alignment at the same time. they said they'd look at it for free
  • webbwebb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 aruora and have had this strange problem with the cruise control. It will work for about 100 miles then drop out and will not re-engage. Or if I turn it off and go over 80 (which is easy to do while passing)it will not re-engage. Also the speed ometer is jumpie at 80 it jerks 2-3 mph while maintaining a constant speed. Some times but not always when the cruise drops out the check engine light comes on but resets after the three start reset. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they could not find anything wrong with the cruise control I suspect either a m.a.p. sensor or some type of speed sensor. also it surges while going down hill in cruise sometimes bad enough to cause it to drop out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Webb
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    It rained a little here last night, and when I got in the car this morning, there was water seeping through the roof of the car under the right visor, where it's bolted into the roof. Has anyone had this problem?? This is the second time in a month this has happened. I'm worried water is pooling up there and will eventually mold and/or make the car smell like mildew.
  • dpence2002dpence2002 Member Posts: 5
    Nate811,
     Are you sure it is your headlights that are on or the driving lights. If it is the driving lights then your brake lights aren't going to be on. There was a posting about a year ago on the light switch. Do a search on the postings to find it.
                                      Don
  • beachlover333beachlover333 Member Posts: 6
    Mine must need to be cleaned or reset, as it's reading way higher than it actually is. Thanking anyone who replies in advance...
    Look for a bullet shaped sensor which should beattached to a radiator support strut when you look into the oval opening below the radiator.
  • northstar98northstar98 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 98 Classic when I try to start the car all my dash lights and interior dim as if the battery is drained and I need a jump but I didnt so tried again and again finally I waited for a few seconds held the key until it turned over and it finally did it seems I have to do this procedure every time start the car it seems like the car jumped its self for power I dont think its fuel regulator compressor.Also after it starts the oil life reads change now and the clock changes. ANY SOLUTIONS
  • northstar98northstar98 Member Posts: 8
    does all classics have that fuel string in the trunk to open fuel door and a underhood light?

This may sound crazy but I cant find my 98 classic fuel string in the trunk or a hood light i bought a bulb to replace it cause I thought it blew out but cant find anywhere to put the bulb.
  • dred98dred98 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 98 and there isn't an underhood light - it suprised me too.
    The string for the fuel door should be close to the door itself, hanging down over to the left of the trunk. There should be a black plastic tag on the end, it's only string so it may have broken off sometime in the last 6 years.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    This may sound crazy but I cant find my 98 classic fuel string in the trunk or a hood light i bought a bulb to replace it cause I thought it blew out but cant find anywhere to put the bulb.

I have a 1999 Aurora and I also cannot find the hood light. I'm starting to think that the 1995 and possibly the 1996 Aurora's had this option.

Peace.
    Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    My '97 had the new fuel rail installed this morning; I drove into the dealership at 8:05 and out at 9:20. It's an impressive looking piece of hardware. I wish I had thought to take a photograph of the previous setup, but I didn't.

The fuel supply line now enters the rail near the no. 8 injector. The FPR is relocated from sitting atop the no. 7 injector to a stainless-steel cup welded onto the new fuel rail near the no. 8 injector. I think they must have replaced the inlet and return black plastic fuel lines since the new attachment points are about 8 inches further away. Also, that 3/16" plastic hose from the top of the FPR was lenghtened.

The dealer copy of the invoice showed $250 cost for parts and labor. The rail kit part number is 12583145; there was also a seal kit part number 17800052.

Good luck!

Les