Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora Prices Paid and Buying Experience

hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
2001 4.0L Cherry & Neutral w/OnStar (built 07AUG2000 - purchased 24AUG2000)
U1F (Bose), N94 (chrome wheels), U1S (12-CD changer), BA5 (gold), KA1 (heated seats).

Sticker $37,594 - negotiated price $35,700

2002 4.0L Cherry & Neutral w/OnStar (not here yet)
UM8 (navigation radio), N94 (chrome wheels), U1S (12-CD changer), BA5 (gold), KA1 (heated seats), K05 (block heater).

Sticker $38,405 - GMO price $33472 - $1500 loyalty - $1000 rebate = $30,972

Third party interest rates are good enough right now to take the rebate over GMAC rates (5.9% 60mo)

Comments

• matrixfrogmatrixfrog Member Posts: 180
    1998 Evergreen(I think) Aurora
    Sunroof, heated seats, and gold package
    65,000miles
    paid $13,000 even
  • vwbus1979vwbus1979 Member Posts: 42
    1997 Aurora

Black with gold pinstriping

Gold Package (emblems)

16" Michelin Wheels (Standard)

Sunroof, Heated Seats

Wood Trim upgrade

38,000 miles (in 1999)

Paid $18,000 for it (in 1999)

Worth EVERY single penny....

I do suggest getting the factory warranty extended though. The car is unique and weird to fix should something go wrong. I paid $1,400 for my extended warranty and already got the money back in repairs.

http://www.warrantydirect.com

There you go

• ygo2workygo2work Member Posts: 5
    $18,500...32,600 miles, sunroof, excellent condition. Denver area. It had been auctioned (a leased vehicle in Michigan) a couple of times. I was surprised to find such a good car not being much in demand. Lack of advertising?
    Louis
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Purchased my loaded black/graphite '98 w/Autobahn, moonroof, heated seats, chrome wheels, Bose, CD changer, with 27,200 miles on it, for $17k back in early April.

The car was a one-driver Michigan lease (registered to Leo Burnett, i.e. Olds' ad agency), purchased in an auction my dealer in late May of 2000, put on the lot in early July (at $24,245!), and sat there until early March, when they dropped it to $19,900. From there, it went to $18,900 in mid-March (they still wouldn't negotiate with me), and, after running ads in the paper for 2 weeks, finally came down to $17k when it was apparent I was the only one interested in the car :-)

I think the only option I don't have is the gold package...

--Robert

p.s. pics at http://www.hammen.net/car
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Purchased of Ebay in March for ~15,400.

36,000 miles, two owner car from Nevade via California. Needed nothing :).

None were for sale privately in my area, and the dealers just wanted too much.

Just put 2 new tires on due to a nasty incident with a culvert. The OEM Michiline were only $85 per at Sears. Figured that they would be more, but I won't complain.
  • silotwosilotwo Member Posts: 27
    Purchased a 95 with 60K miles in July for $ 9,100. Local one owner trade on a 2001 at original selling/servicing dealer. Excellent condition all the way around.

Shopped hard for a newer model but couldn't find another that matched the condition of the 95. Every other available Aurora either looked or drove like it had been thrashed around pretty hard.
  • redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    My father previously had 2 Aurora's-

1995 Black/Neutral w/ Gold package and sunroof

1997 Light Beige/Neutral w/ gold package, sunroof and heated seats.

Payments(lease) for the '95: $635 per month, $0 down, 55,000 miles for 2 1/2 yrs.

Payments(lease) for the '97: $600 per month, $0 down, 55,000 miles for 2 1/2 yrs. Total vehicle price for the '97 was $37,860
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    '95 Classic purchased in May, 2001 with 50,500 miles for $ 11,000.
    Champagne metalic
    Bose, Heated seats, sunroof
    Bought at local Buick dealer. Dealer installed New tires, replaced tilt wheel lever and console shifter. Car is immaculate otherwise.

Due to a bad experience I had with a 3rd party warranty on my last car I opted for the GM 24 month bumper-to-bumper warranty at $1800. That's alot but EVERYTHING is covered for $ 50.
  • dishwishdishwish Member Posts: 11
    98 Aurora - Arctic White - Purchased Mar 2001
    42,000 miles
    Sunroof
    Heated Seats - (Great for North Dakota winters)
    Autobahn
    New tires - (Dealer installed)
    Excellent condition - Purchase price $17,900
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    What does "GMO" represent?
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    GM employee Order price. You might also see GMS GM employee Stock price. The GMS price is on every dealer invoice for in stock cars. The price is generally below "holdback" price, but varies by model and can change over time. If you see a real dealer invoice, the GMS price should be on it. The GMS price is the GMO price plus regional advertizing charges (typically 1% of MSRP).
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Actually, I believe the GMS price is the GMO price plus 4%. GM suppliers pay 4% more than actual GM employees.
  • VectorManVectorMan Member Posts: 2
    2001 silver 3.5 27,000 miles
    No options....former rental car
    Bought Nov. 2001
    I Paid $17,900

Vectorman
  • cehsr8033cehsr8033 Member Posts: 11
    Purchased a 2001 4.0 fully equipped except for the multiple CD changer, White, 9100 miles--a "program car" (what ever that is). I paid $25,500. I am in the Intermountain West and there doesn't seem to be alot of these cars around here which was one of the motivations that I had in buying the car. The purchase was on the 15th of December 2001. I orginally wanted a De Ville but to get the Caddy equipped the same way, I would have been in the mid $35k range and I had rented a DeVille in May and while it drove out well and does have more room, it was a bit of a boring drive after a week's use. Don't ask me why, it was great on the road but it didn't have any personality.
  • kemo444kemo444 Member Posts: 15
    1997 silver-teal, autobahn, moonroof, with 59,000 miles. it was a one owner in great shape. in central Texas i paid $10,990 in oct. 2001. No rattles or squeekes.
  • dwbeachdwbeach Member Posts: 7
    Ordered a 2001 4.0, through the Military sales program. Only option I did not get is the CD changer. Ordered the Aurora in August 2001, and picked it up in January 2002. Have been participating in Operation Enduring Freedom. Purchase price was $ 25,400. The Aurora is an excellent vehicle. However, I do miss my 1978 Toranodo. This is my 15th Oldsmobile.
  • jephjephjephjeph Member Posts: 17
    $34,341 with everything except for heated seats or the gold package in California.

Invoice was $36,043 and MSRP $39,000.

Factory Order, 4 weeks 4 days from order to delivery.

Good work, GM.
  • carlo8carlo8 Member Posts: 5
    I'm a new owner as of 2/28/02. Bought a former rental as follows:
    3.5 V6 (didn't want the 4.0)
    Dual Power Seats (why build it without them?)
    Dual Zone HVAC
    Convenience package/Memory mirrors,seats/auto
    dimming mirror(cooler than I thought) etc.
    Whish it had traction control and Bose.

$19,900 with 18,000 miles.
    Sage green (kind of unusual color, wife loves it I'm not sure yet.)

The finance manager at the dealer said they lost $459 on it, a likely story?

I have never owned a nice car like this, 80mph feels like 60mph, must pay attention or pay up!
    THANKS, Carl C. Alameda

P.S. a question: The Dual Zone HVAC looks like it's only available in package T2C, does this mean I have TC & PCS?, there are no buttons to turn TC off like in most cars?
    If you have traction control, you should have a little button on the floor console to turn it off. The build sheet (underside of the spare tire cover) should also list T2C. I don't believe the dual-zone requires traction control, rather the All-Weather Package (T2C) requires the Passenger Comfort Package (T1U). You can't get traction without dual-zone, but you can get dual-zone without traction. The Passenger Comfort Package includes the power passenger seat, dual-zone HVAC, and the rear-seat storage armrest.

Glad you like the car. I think they are great!
  • carlo8carlo8 Member Posts: 5
  • jay800jay800 Member Posts: 12
    Purchased March 29 2002 Ontario, Canada
    62,800 kilometers (39,000 miles)
    Sunroof - Gray Leather
    New tires (dealer installed)
    Excellent condition
    Purchase price $20,800 CND ($14,300 USD)

What a car!
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    Purchased July 01 for $21K. Shale interior, sunroof, cd changer, bose acoustimass, gold package, chrome wheels, autobahn, 18K miles. Absolutely perfect. I previously purchased a '95 Black /Tan autobahn in Dec '97 for $18,500 in Vermont. Drove that car 160K miles (120 miles a day for two years!!)and vowed to buy another.
  • flyboy01flyboy01 Member Posts: 4
    Two months ago, nice silver 3.5 unsold from last year. Most options (no moonroof :-( From Olds dealership near SLC, UT. $25500.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    18.3k miles, Bronze Mist, Bose, Moonroof, Autobahn, heated seats, chrome wheels. Paid $17.3k for the car and am very pleased. Looks, smells, and drives like a new car. How somebody can afford a 3yr lease and only put 18k miles on a car - is beyond me.
    Needless to say that the car has a lot more thatn that on it now. I put about 20k on the car during my first year of ownership.
  • symi81symi81 Member Posts: 5
    Has sunroof, chrome wheels, Bose, 12-disk, heated seats, and engine block heater. (everything except nav system). Reason I didnt get the navigation was because you can't get the Bose with it (I wonder why that is). MSRP was 38,900. Paid 35,784
    It looks like next year you might be able to get both together. If you use the build tools on some of the sites that have the 2003 Aurora, you can pick them together. Of course, GMBuyPower last year would let you do that too. Then they eventually fixed it. Maybe Delphi updated it to work with the Bose. The Caddy nav system works with the Bose audio. Even the 2001 Seville nav system, which used CD's (like the Aurora), worked with Bose. Maybe Olds will use that system next year. Or maybe it's just another error and next year will be the same...
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I just bought an '01 aroura 3.5 off of ebay. former rental with 19k miles. cappucino with biege int. only option I could see from the pics was the auto. dim mirror. I paid 16600 plus shipping. Is this a good deal. I wanted the most bang for my buck (my job requires a "champagne" car on a "beer" budget and this fit the bill. Why buy an oldsmobile new when their value drops like a rock.

BTW, I saw that oldsmobile has dropped the 3.5 aroura for '03. That's too bad. The V6 get better gas mileage and runs on regular.
    The V8 runs on regular too. And it only gets 1 mpg less. I would definitely say that under $17,000 for a one-year-old car that cost over $30,000 new is a good deal. The V6 is a bit lighter and supposedly handles a bit sharper because of it. Enjoy!

By the way, did you buy it sight-unseen? What did you think of your Ebay experience? I can't imagine buying a car that I couldn't test-drive first. I guess you test-drove some local 3.5's? I'd be interested in hearing your buying experience. Thanks.
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    Edmunds says if you look under standard features in the '02 or '03 Aroura that the V8 aroura runs on premium.

As for the buying experience, it is not over yet. I am waiting on a responsefor my loan aproval. The guy at the bank said that these cars are hard to finance because of their droppin value (they don't want to risk getting stuck with a worthless car) bu he also said that the price was about $5k under their book value.

I have mixed reviews of car-buying on ebay. I had to retract a bid on another car because the seller did not disclose a past accident and paintwork that a simple carfaxs report showed(seller knew about the paintwork all along but did not disclose it in an email untill after I bid). After I retracted he said that an accident and paintwork is normal for a used car.
    Edmunds is wrong... :)
  • shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    What would you guys say a Black/Black 98 Aurora with chrome wheels, autobahn, and a sunroof is worth? Car has 72,500 miles. Has a few paint chips on the bottom of the driver door that need to be repaired and a dent on the RR door that could be fixed by dent wizard. Other than that, it is in beautiful shape. Got an offer on mine this weekend and I was not amused, just trying to see what you guys think it's worth.
    Retail 15,500
    whole sale 11,900

IMHO Henri

Does the closest guess get a prize?
  • sinatra2sinatra2 Member Posts: 65
    I purchased my Aurora through a dealer find of mine in March of this year. It had 100,000 miles and was in terrific condition. The only thing I had to replace was the selinoid for the fuel release door and a new name plate for the rear trunk. My total purchase price inclusive of all taxes and license fees was $8100 CA or $5150 US.
    It is now August and it is still going strong after putting on about 15,000 miles. In fact I will probably look for a 97 or 98 classic next spring....( not to replace but to add to the stable)
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Well, my momma always tought me talking about the price of things "aint polite". ;)

I picked up my 97 yesterday from a private sale.
    It has 185,000 kilometeres (about 115,000 miles)

Sunroof, heated seats, dual air, - well - everything actually. Including a weird paint scheme that is growing on me - a blue/green that actually changes colour in as you look at it. Chameleon paint . . im told it was an option.

Anyways, it cost me $7500 (plus tax) $600.

Im very pleased with the car 24 hours later - strong, secure, comfy, seemingly agile (more than i thought it would be anyways).

Next step - to spend 12 hours with it on saturday doing a detailing session - claybar, three coats of my favorite polymer polish and the works . .

I hope to be able to post pics (digital cameras are not my friends) in a little while.

cheers

dennis
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    welcome to Edmunds, good luck with your Aurora. I have a 1999 Onyx Black Aurora.
    I just spent 3 years with a black SSEi - and while it was a regal pain - I would have loved to find a black Aurora to love and care for.

I deal in a sideline business selling polymer car care products - and have gotten very particular about my exterior car care . . . and would have just loved to make a black beauty shine like the Bonne did. I did a quick wash, apply session last night, and am becoming very fond of this color shifting paint scheme mine has - blue to green to a purple . . .
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    That's a good price. I have the same color '97 with 71,000 miles on it which I paid $14,000 for last year. The price did include a 4 year 40,000 mile warranty. My wife originally liked the color and I was leaning towards the pearl white. Since we got it though, I've got to admit the color has really grown on me.
    Musclecar . .. what is the paint scheme called ?

I dont know what to tell people when they ask what colour it is ;)
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    homer2000ssei-What kind of wax do youi recomend? Now I'm using some polymer stuff. What's the best out there for my white diamond?

800wattAURORA

http://www.cardomain.com/id/800wattaurora

i love polymers . .been using them for about 3 years now . . .

if you look at the forums here - there is one dedictaed to the line a sell . .. zaino - and then there is one for everything else.

i wouldnt come right out a tell you its the best for you , cause there are too many variables - such as :
    how often you wash and detail
    parked inside or out
    where you live - geographically speaking
    general paint condition
    your style of detailing: for instance are you a wash every weekend and wax every couple . . . or a wash at the car washes and do it ureself sometime . .

if you like - email me and we could continue this off board - i dont want to get in trouble for "advertising" - but i can help you figure out if that product suits you or not . .

cheers

dennis
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    dennis - The color is "Medium Dark Teal Metallic" ...not too sexy sounding eh? On the bottle of touchup paint I got from the dealer the name is "Woodland Green Metallic". GM used this color on Camaros and I think they give it a different name for each division (and each year). The color seems to have been used in '97 and '98. It is an awesome color after having lived with it for a year.
  • leftyga1leftyga1 Member Posts: 10
    Am very satisfied w/ my purchase of two weeks ago having 83K miles in near-perfect condition and Sandstone in color. Some of my friends think it's a new car. I paid $7,500 plus tax, which I thought was a steal. Excellent car; undervalued by many folks apparently. I just need to balance the wheels as it wobbles a bit above 70mph. I have the stock chrome wheels, sunroof, and the CD player. What is an "autobahn" some of you have?
  • bstracenbstracen Member Posts: 4
    Had about 13k miles- rental vehicle. Paid 22k. Like i told my better half-can you really put a price on happiness?
    tks for the paint color tip - pontiac called it mystic teal on the f-bodies in those years, i found a fellow camaro owner who filled me in . . .

and yes - leftyga1 asks a good question (i did and didnt get an answer weeks ago)
    what is the autobahn edition, and how do i tell if i have one ? im guessing its gearing etc - and in the vin, or option list stuck to the tire cover in the trunk ?

also , lefty . . . excellent deal . . .
  • silotwosilotwo Member Posts: 27
    Homer, the autobahn is gearing. Autobahn is 3:71, standard classic is 3:48. My quick check is to look at the tire specs on the drivers door. If it calls for S rated tires it is non autobahn, autobahn, I believe, calls for V rated.

It is also in the vin but I think it takes a dealer to look it up. And also on the build label in the trunk or the under the spare tire cover, not sure but I think in the build list it QXX, but again, I don't remember for sure.

Also believe from the 2001 and up they are all 3:71
    great - thank you . . .

* * sound of Homer scooting downstairs to check his door can be heard, if yo ulisten closely * *
  • wwilfertwwilfert Member Posts: 4
    Just took delivery of a 1998. Dark blue, sunroof,
    chrome wheels, new Eagle GA tires. Has 56,000 miles, paid $10,500. Car is very clean.
    Had it checked out by dealer first, found bad
    speed sensor and broken wiring harness for shift indicator lights. Seller had them repaired at his cost. Feel I got great deal.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Not bad, I love that Navy color on the Aurora's, I thought that color only came on the 1999 Aurora's. Nice choice. Peace.
This discussion has been closed.