Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Chevy S10 brake squeal

rowezonerowezone Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 2000 Chevy S10 2.2 5spd. [anti-lock brakes] with 11,000 miles on it. Most are highway miles, not city driving. Yesterday a squealing started in the left front brake. Constant squeal when moving, stops when I apply the brakes. Can the pads be shot already or could it be brake dust?

Comments

• wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Sometimes contaminants get into the pads, and squeak against the rotor upon pressure application. I suspect tiny gravel specks, etc., are the usual culprits. It can make one take a look at the remaining thickness of the pads, as I very recently did on my '98 Pathfinder. They were still fat with usable pad, by the way.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Take a look at the pads to be sure,at my last tire rotation 24000 mi the pads looked new.
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    A good friend at NAPA tells me that 30K is about the end for MANY OEM brake pads on the newer trucks and cars. And when you go to change them, you need to get the rotors turned, especially if you use better-to-top grades of aftermarket pads. Otherwise, squealing is very likely. If you use the softer (usually less expensive) variety of pads, often you can get by without turning the rotors, and only breaking the glaze. It just isn't like the old days for brake work any more.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    My wife has a '97 S-10, had to change factory pads at 14,000 miles. The truck now has 50,000 miles on it now on the replacement pads with no problems.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's move this discussion over to the brake topic so everyone can benefit.

/direct/view/.ef062ac

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.