Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Shop around for a good body shop or local garage. If the mirror is not electric, it won't take but a few long minutes.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • armando78armando78 Member Posts: 10
    I am experiencing the same thing in my truck, appearanlty this problem is comen, I have heard the same issue arrise many times. I don't know what the problem is but I hope Nissan people's will catch the news and do something about it.. Maybe it's allready in the works, does anybody know different?

I've posted me issue's numerous times, and have gotten no response, my Titan's differential has failed twice in twenty one thousand miles, anyone ever heard of this problem? I own the LE trim titan, 4x4, 6" lift, 35x18x12.5 tires and wheels. yada yada yada
  • jmart247jmart247 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if there are any headers available for my '99 3.3L extended cab frontier. I'm also having a hard time finding any exhaust manufacturers for aftermarket parts. Canadian distributers would be great but I'm doubtful there are any.
  • toby07toby07 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2005 frontier c/c and about 5 months into the ownership i startled to get white spots on the bed .went to the dealer he said its only water spots thats normal so i went to a sprayed on bed shop and i asked him he said it should not fade at all called the dealer back he said he will let me know .. he called tonight their is a bulliten on it they are gonna fix it so check out your bed guys if its got white spots tell them and they will spray it again .......... have a great day!!!!!!!!! :)
  • kyswkrkyswkr Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me? I need to find a drivers side mirror (heated, electric, with all the goods) for a 2004 Nissan Titan? I knocked my boyfriend's drivers side mirror off and cannot find a replacement for a reasonable amount. Please help!
  • fishon7fishon7 Member Posts: 1
    They will fix the breaks for free and put you on a waiting list for the new breaks. I have had my Titan for 8 mth and had it in 7 times in that time now the cat converter is out which was told is a new problem with these trucks so have them check the est system out.,
  • whitywhity Member Posts: 2
    check your ujoints... that is a common noise when the shaft has some pay in it due to the ujoint failure.... if not the ujoints then check the amount of play that your drive shaft has.
  • msesslermsessler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001, and have been rather happy with it. Gets around 28 MPG, rides reasonably well and has only required minor maintenance over the last 66K miles. I'm replacing the factory tires this week and will have the front end aligned. Watch out for the lower idler pulley, it hangs low and tends to get wet, which washes the grease out and makes it noisy (though I've lived with it for 40K miles, I will probably replace it soon). My check engine light has been on intermittently for a few weeks, and need to get that investigated, though it seems to be a common, yet not serious issue. Otherwise, it's a great little truck.
  • dancingchickendancingchicken Member Posts: 3
    Man, I got the same problem in my 87. If you find out what the problem is please post it here because I sure would like to know what the cause is.
    Good thing they know the front brakes where a problem.. Next is to find out why my rear end is failing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please send me an email when you see this.

Thanks!
  • titleistdrivertitleistdriver Member Posts: 1
    I think that I am having the same problem with my new CC 4x4 SE. Whenever I shift from reverse to drive I hear a "thunk" noise as well. Can you tell me if you ever got this fixed or is it something that just happens? Also Can you what you exactly mean by the play in the ujoints and the drive shaft? I am not that mechanically inclined so any help would be really appreciated although it is under warranty.
    Just did..
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Hmmm...I've not received anything from you. The problem is your profile email address. Please check to make sure it is correct. Keeping a valid email available is a membership requirement.
  • 981mp981mp Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Frontier NISMO V6. While my wife and I were in Vegas, in July, we had hot starting problems. The crank time would be anywhere from 5 to 7 seconds. We took the truck straight to a dealer when we got back. They shruged their shoulders and said, "We can't reduplicate the problem". We got the truck back. Now that the temp has been 95+, we are having the same problem. Anyone know what it might be? It reminds me of a vapor lock type of problem on cars in the 50 and 60's with Carbs.
    Thanks..
    Rickp :confuse:
  • radgitradgit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 club cab pickup. When it rains I get water sloshing around in my cab body, I can't see where or how its getting there. Has any one seen or heard of this problem? If so how do I fix this, I worry about rust from the inside. There is only the two side windows that open and the rear window, and they seem to be sealed. I'm open for suggestions..
    Thanks
    Denis
  • johnnyreb1johnnyreb1 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Frontier SE V-6 4x4

Can anyone tell me where the transmission vent is located on this truck? or better yet, post a picture or diagram?

Thanks
    Brian
  • mputt1mputt1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all!!
    I hope maybe someone can help me with my 1995 Nissan pick up. I just bought it and it had no radio,,, so,, I decided to put 1 in myself. Well,, it has no speakers. the door panels aren't even cut out. I was wondering how to put in the right speakers since i cannot even get behind them to screw them in. Also,, i have 5 1/4 speakers and they seem a little small. If someone knows exactly what size and how to speakers please help me. Thank you. there must be some kind of addapter to mount the speakers in. I just don't know. Unless I do my own thing,, but i was trying to stay stock if possible.
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    Hi all! i have just bought a LE CC fresh out of the dealer. It was after the Rita hurricane. So there was no one in service to do an overall checkup such as checking fluids, tire pressure & balancing. The sales manager promised if i bring it back next week he would ask the service to perform all those tasks. So far i have not noticed anything wrong; odometer has 300 mi. Of course, i have done a self -checkup and everything. It looks like all fluids are filled, but i am kind of worried. Is this going to be a problem? Do they have to put in a computer...for a general checkup? Please advise. thank you all.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I installed some 6 1/2" speakers using self tapping sheetmetal screws. Course you have to connect the wires before doing so.
  • a_stevensa_stevens Member Posts: 4
    Shouldn't be a problem. Your vehicle may have already been PDI'd. (pre-delivery inspection). Either way, there is nothing wrong with them when they roll off of the truck. When I did pd inspections, I checked the fluids, set the tire pressure and checked the torque on the lug nuts. The tire pressure is set pretty high when they're tied down on the trucks, so you may want to set that at about 35, but other than that, don't worry. They won't put it on the computer, and they won't balance your tires for free. =0) It's a new Nissan, drive it like you stole it. My 98 XE KC 4WD has 170k and it's still going strong.

Andy
    Get in the truck and have someone stand outside with a water hose and spray the truck around all of the windows, windshield, and around the windshield wipers/vents. If there's enough water in the truck to slosh around, then it should show itself pretty quickly. Sometimes the door seals leak, but you'd hear a good bit of wind noise if that were the case.

Andy

I have a 97 club cab pickup. When it rains I get water sloshing around in my cab body, I can't see where or how its getting there. Has any one seen or heard of this problem? If so how do I fix this, I worry about rust from the inside. There is only the two side windows that open and the rear window, and they seem to be sealed. I'm open for suggestions..
    Thanks
    Denis
    A 2001 should show some oil/dust goop formed wherever the vent is.
    Crawl under it and look for this around a small black cap that looks like a radio knob.

Andy

2001 Frontier SE V-6 4x4

Can anyone tell me where the transmission vent is located on this truck? or better yet, post a picture or diagram?

Thanks
    Brian
    The back side of the door panels should be cut out or at lease imprinted for a cut down near the floor close to the front of the panel. If not, there should be a cutout in the metal frame of the door already and you can use it as a template for cutting the door panels. Measure twice, cut once. Crutchfield.com should have the information about what speakers will fit. I think that I stuffed 5.25s on my old hardbody. You should have space under the seat to put an amp if you want. You can run the wiring under the carpet pretty easily.

Andy

Hey all!!
    I hope maybe someone can help me with my 1995 Nissan pick up. I just bought it and it had no radio,,, so,, I decided to put 1 in myself. Well,, it has no speakers. the door panels aren't even cut out. I was wondering how to put in the right speakers since i cannot even get behind them to screw them in. Also,, i have 5 1/4 speakers and they seem a little small. If someone knows exactly what size and how to speakers please help me. Thank you. there must be some kind of addapter to mount the speakers in. I just don't know. Unless I do my own thing,, but i was trying to stay stock if possible.
  • dmacphersondmacpherson Member Posts: 1
    hello I have a 1987 Nissan extended cab. It has no tail lights, brake lights. The fuses are fine. Is there a relay switch or box someplace. or is there a ground wiire ? help!
  • pilgrim22pilgrim22 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I have a 2000 Frontier SE V6 crewcab, with all options except 4x4, and it has 77k miles on it. Recently I have been noticing a pronounced squeaking noise at low-to-moderate speeds (anything up to about 50). Sounds like it might be the suspension/shocks, or it could be a wheel bearing? The squeaking occurs on seemingly smooth (concrete) road surfaces, as well as bumpy roads (concrete and asphalt). I don't know how long the squeaking has been going on, as I can only hear it with the windows rolled down, and have had them rolled up all summer with the A/C on.

Anyway, I'm not very mechanically minded, and so I'm not sure what it is, so if anyone else has any ideas or any similar experience, I'd like to hear about it. Also, is this a cause for concern? Should I take it to a dealer to check it out (they always seem to find something else major to do, which is why I'm wary of going to dealers), or could a mechanic fix it?

Other than this, I am very happy with the truck, and it is running great.

Cheers,
    p22
  • rojo06rojo06 Member Posts: 1
    The tailgate handle for my 2002 Frontier broke and I cannot find a replacement part or part number. Can anyone help?
  • titandrivertitandriver Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have the same problem with their A/C that I do? Whenever I switch the A/C on and turn the dial, it goes from cold air to hot air pretty quick. Its still in the blue part, but it certainly doesnt blow chilled air. The Dealer says that there is nothing wrong with it...
  • kgroffkgroff Member Posts: 1
    You can't open the passenger door on the Nissan Titan Crewcab XE passenger doors without setting off alarms if your truck comes without the optional keyless entry. Just had some discussion with the Nissan engineers. There concensus is we have to live with it like that there is nothing we can do about it. So if we want to open the passenger door without setting off the alarm we have to open the driver's side and unlock all the doors. Or we could put a piece of tape on the dome light button on the passenger side so that the security system will not recognize that the door is open. How about that for customer satisfaction!! ??Anyone else with this problem?
  • chris43chris43 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I own a 2001 Frontier 2wd King Cab XE 4 cyl pick-up. About 2 1/2 months ago I began to have steering problems with my Nissan. Traveling on a straight and level road, the truck will either pull to the left or pull to the right, needing constant correction. I have noticed the the allowable play in the steering wheel seems excessive. I have taken it to three Nissan dealers. I get the usual, "the crown / drainage of the road....the wind...your tires...alignment...etc." I have had the truck aligned three times (thrid time at a dealer and every bolt that could be tightened, was tightened), I have had the wheel bearings repacked, and I had brand new set of tires put on to stop the "its your tire excuse" (the previous set of tires was fine as far as even wear and tread life according to two mechanic shops). I am going to have the steering linkage between the steering box to the wheels replaced this week (the set-up on this year truck has sealed bushing links, so you have to buy the whole assembly). I think it is a bad steering box assembly from deduction. Has anyone had there box go bad. Is it hard to change out (doesn't look to bad from the shop manual). I don't understand, I don't having any power steering leaks and the truck only has 72,000 miles. Please help....any input would be great. I went on two test drives, showed the technicians what happens, etc. It just dosen't seem possible to anyone that the box could be bad, I think the techs have never seen one go bad this early and are in denial. It has gotten to the point where I don't feel safe driveing the thing. :(
  • hawaiibrewhawaiibrew Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to be replacing the Knock Sensor in my 2000 Nissan Frontier XE.

It's located under the Intake manifold.

Anyone done this repair? Anyone know what gaskets will be needed?
  • rrayrray Member Posts: 1
    check the hood latch it will squeak and just spray some heavey grease on it....if your sqeak is from the front?
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Yes,chex junk yards,it were I found one my self,but the guts are big bucks thoe
  • ubetrsmileubetrsmile Member Posts: 1
    This truck has been a major headach. The navigation system broke twice, the manual interior light switch broke, and the plugs for the phone chargers broke. The dealership just replaced my brakes when I went in to get my cd player fixed, it was only then that I was told about the recall on the brakes. I just paid $200 to another auto shop to fix the brakes the week before. I have a $150.00 CD collection (Time Life) stuck in the player which had to be sent to California and they can't guarantee they won't be scratched or destroyed. I love the way it looks but I don't have time for all the repairs.
  • derekgoldderekgold Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased an 04 Titan with 21K miles. The spray on bedliner seems to be really faded. Is there any way to repair or restore the color? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love the truck so far. Thanks
  • donbotdonbot Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a tune up and timing belt replacement on my 95 V6 pick up. IT started surging or missing. since then ive hand another set of plugs and plug wires installed and another timing belt replacement,done by a certified nissan mechanic. it still misses or surges. But doesn't do it while idling. please help
  • dmarkhdmarkh Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a new 05 Tital KC. I understand that there have been break problem since the initial rool-out. I also understand that if the truck in build after 5/05 then the fix has been incorporated.

Can anyone verify this?

How can I tell if mine if build after 5/05?
  • frontierhell05frontierhell05 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. need to find an actual nissan tech number any help would be appreciated.
  • frontierhell05frontierhell05 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 05 nissan frontier crew cab 4x4. I have had my truck in over 12 times for different problems 6 of which were for the knocking when shifting. They tried or attempted to fix problem by replacing the rear differential but it didn't work. The service manager gave me the same BS story it was normal they all do it. If you have any contacts to nissaqn that would help me in sticking it right up there you know what please e-mail. All help would be appreciated.
  • mputt1mputt1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,,
    Well, i'm sure that whoever has an older pick up
    must have had problems with the belt tension er squealing
    from time to time. I have changed the 1 on my 1987 3 times and the 1 on my 1995 won't give me a break now either. These trucks are great except for 2 things. They rust terrible,, and the belt tension er squeals too much.
    Other then that,, the motors Z24,, are great ! Can anyone help me with any new solutions?
  • rskingrsking Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 frontier and as I was traveling about 30 mph or so and would approach a stop I would push in the clutch and put it in 1st gear aan coast to the light or stop sign and there was a grinding in the tranny well I got it checked out and was told that the tranny was bad so a couple of thousand dollars later my warranty co. not the original warranty but 1 I bought from the guardian co (they suck)I have a tranny that came out of a junkyard with 55,ooo miles is worse than what came out of it but now it wonn't even go in 1st gearand ive already exploded 1 clutch and the winners at aamco say i shouldnt be shifting into 1st but i was able to before does anyone have a resource or the knowledge about this subject . every car or truck that i have ever had i could go through all the gears no matter what speed as long as the clutch was depressed please help they dont wanna fix it
  • toby07toby07 Member Posts: 6
    hey derek i have a 05 frontier the bed faded too i brought it back to the dealer he said theres a bullinten and that is was gonna spray it again i been waiting 2 months now he said that he is waiting himself so check with the dealer cuz that is not suppose to do it ..good luck
  • derekgoldderekgold Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Toby, I will certainly look into that.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    This may seem like a dumb question because in part, i never researched a pickup before but i got one a couple days ago. I just wanted to ask if all pickup trucks have gas cap covers that can be easily accessible to gas theives? To be more exact, im used to pulling a lever to open my gas tank whenever im refuelling. But for my titan, i can just use my finger and flip the cover open to get to the gas cap and therefore the gas tank. Has anyone learned a way to protect/lock their gas cap from potential gas thefts? Appreciate the help.

High :)
  • jon677jon677 Member Posts: 1
    Besides the obvious locking gas cap?
  • novnenovne Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2005 Titan. It now has around 4500 miles.I took my truck in for the Control Module Sub-Harness recall. Now,whenever I press on my brakes, a noise comes from under my floor shifter/console. I can also feel it through my shifter. Perhaps, a brake linkage is rubbing against the floor shifter? Service department said this is normal, it is a problem with the new harness, and that there is nothing that can be done.I called Nissan to ask if there have been any other complaints and they said no.
    Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Jon677, where can you get those locking gas cap? Autozone, pepboys, etc.? Thanks

I just got my new 06 titan and whenever i accelerate, i hear squeaking/little rattle noise from the from the front console near my steering wheel. Its not that loud, but it bugs me.

• placourseplacourse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Nissan 4x4 pickup. While driving in 4 wheel drive about 15 mph, the temp gauge, tach, speedometer, and fuel gauge stopped working at the same time. Also the battery light is on and the light indicating 4 wheel drive is not working. Whats up? Thanks.
  • mikee25478mikee25478 Member Posts: 9
    in my 02 frontier, the night I drove it home was raining, and the next morining I had water in the cab. Not wanting to deal with the trouble of going back to the dealer, I did the water hose trick. The water was coming in via my third tailight. The gasket Nissan used was not as thick as it should have been. I bought some RTV sealant, took the screws out of the tailight, filled in the screw holes and put a thin layer around the housing assembly, and put the screws back in. That was at 12 miles, I now have 204,564 miles on it and it hasnt leaked yet. But that dang SES light is still on.