Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Check out the new Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide! Link is provided in the Additional Resource Box.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    Reading the manual for my truck, I came across a strange entry. They do not recommend using the power port while the headlights are on. Called Nissan and also service mgr. Neither had a clue as to why that was in the book
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I received a notice a few days ago that "the seat belt buckles may contain a part that was not manufactured to specification."

I got the same notice in 1996 but the dealer said it was ok.

Anyone else?
  • jackkajackka Member Posts: 25
    I want to install power windows and door locks on my '98 Frontier.

Has anyone done this? Your advice is appreciated.
  • tony4064tony4064 Member Posts: 3
    Hello My name is Tony.Trading in my Jeep Liberty02 ,not very happy with it,not bad truck,just dont fell safe in it.Very poor braking in wet weather. Bought a NISSAN FRONTIER 2002 SE V6 ,hope I have better luck .If anyone could their opion on this truck,would like to here from you tony4064@optonline.net. thank you
  • jonathanjonathan Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where I can find an OEM Scissor jack & Lug Wrench for the 1991 Nissan King Cab Pick-up? I have had no luck in local salvage yards. Anyone have one laying around?

Thanks,

JOn
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    All of the center wheel caps on my 2000 Frontier Desert Runner SE rattle. They are all loose & it is very annoying when driving with the windows down. Does anybody else have this problem & have you fixed it? I imagine I could buy new caps, but I'm sure the dealer will want an arm & a leg.
    Thanks
  • skmanskman Member Posts: 3
    Which covers are better soft or hard?
    Do you know of a model that can fit on a Titan that has the Utili-track system?
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I have the Truxedo Lo Profile soft tonneau. I have the utilitrac system and it works fine with it. I did modify the clamps near the tailgate so it would allow me to use the bed extender
    What type of modification did you do? I have a bed extender also. Is the utilitrac system fully functional when the bed cover is rolled back?
    "What type of modification did you do?"
    I replaced the clamps at the back with screws from the tracks for the cover into the lip of the box. The reason I had to do this is the clamps for the utlitrac fit into the trac. If you don't want to keep removing them when you put the bed extender in, you have to replace them. The tracks for the cover sit on top of the utilitrac and they are a bit wider. Because of this, The sliding bed extender can't flip because it hits the cover tracks. You need to slide the extender all the way out and flip it and slide it back in. Doesn't take long.

"I have a bed extender also. Is the utilitrac system fully functional when the bed cover is rolled back?"

You can place it anywhere you like, but in order to flip it you have to follow the procedure above.
    Do you have any problems with the radio fading in and out? It seems like it loses the highs and then it comes back in. Not sure if this is a wide spread problem or not. I have a Titan LE.
    Absolutely! This is a prevelant problem. There are many posters on other sites (i would mention some but the moderators here would boot me in the butt) about this problem. There are not alot of other problems that are widespread. The main one seems to be this radio "fade", "mono" issue. The answers from Nissan range from " this is the 1st we have heard of this" ya Right!!, "we are working on a fix", to "it was designed that way" that is my personal favourite. I am waiting to bring mine in for the 1st service to log this problem. My only other issue was a squeek in the dash that disappeared and hasn't come back.

I also have the LE and the radio issue is only common to the RF package and the mid grade radio. the base radio does not have the issue.

As an aside, did you know there is no RF part in the RF radio? It is a clarion amp with Clarion speakers with a panasonic head unit. Rockford Fosgate says they had input in the design - another good one!! A little bit of misleading/false advertising.

Other than that I am extremely happy with the truck so far.
  • cguillaucguillau Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I am having the same problem with the radio reception on my 1 week old Titan SE. Did you complain to the dealership or Nissan directly? If all us Titan owners complain about it, maybe they will replace them with something decent.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I thought this forum was exclusive for older Nissan hardbody pickup (pre-Frontier) members. There is a separate forum for Titan pickup owners.
  • patbpatb Member Posts: 1
    Any commits as to reliability would be great, do anyone have one that they can commit on?
    Thanks
    I own a 2000 SE-V6 King Cab Desert Runner & have not had a single mechanical problem with it (knock-on-wood). I did have a tire separate (General Grabber) at about 50k & the original battery blew due to no water (my fault...didn't realize it wasn't a maintenance free battery).

I now have 65k+ miles in 4.5 years & couldn't be happier with the truck. Mileage is a very constant 19mpg, city or highway driving doesn't seem to affect my mileage. I have only had to replace the shocks, tires, front brake pads, the afore-mentioned battery & fluids. I'm now on my 3rd rear bumper due to being rear-ended twice, but the truck has held up like a trooper. I plan on keeping this truck another 5 years & am confident that it will last at least that long with minimal hassle.

My barber bought a 2000 SE-V6 Crew Cab the same night I bought my truck, and we compare notes. He has a little less mileage than I, and is similarly impressed with the vehicle's reliability. Now that I have a child, I wish I would have bought the 4-door, but oh-well.

I wouldn't have any reservations in recommending this truck to anyone looking for a reliable vehicle. Just make sure that it has been properly maintained & it should serve you well.
  • ediamiamediamiam Member Posts: 17
    I have the 2000 Frontier KingCab in the 4 cyl about 36k miles. First thing I did was replace the shocks to KYB. I put on a fiberglass tonneau cover - the extra weight on the backend seems to make it more stable. I discovered recently on the front sway bar mounting that they neglected to put a washer between the bushing and the nut. The nut worked its way thru the bushing allowing a lot of additional sway. I fixed that problem, but have ordered a rear sway bar also. I don't know that anybody has done that yet, or how much improvement there will be in turns yet. I had to replace the battery, after only 4 years. Noticed that one of the lower clamps wasn't on tight enough and was seeping a little coolant, since tightened up and no more problems. Also do oil changes about every 3333, or so. I replaced the tranny fluid with Redline mt-90, seems to help the shifting a little. Also replaced the differential oil with Swepco 201 in 80w90. That seemed to help out on the whining from the backend, but that could also be because the original gear oil was on the low side, not to the fill line. Normal freeway mileage is about 26 mpg, but did notice on a recent freeway only trip that the mileage shot up to 29 mpg at a real steady 70 mph. Don't know yet if that is the result of better gear and tranny oil. Only time will tell. I am still running with the original Firestone Wilderness tires in the 215x65x15 S rated. Can anyone recommend better tires ? I was thinking about the Kumho tire in that size, with in the H rating. The seats have finally worn into the contour of my buttocks, so its a bit more comfortable now. The only time I had a real problem with starting was when I backed into the driveway to wash it, but didn't allow all the fuel to burn off, resulting in a flooded engine. The recommended tire air pressure is 26 lbs, but I like to run with 30 lbs. Is that enough info to go with ?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I bought this truck new in 95 and to date have had very few problems (replaced the fan clutch ($100), light switch($75), driveshaft support bearing($100). I diagnosed all these problems myself, bought the parts and installed them myself, so the cost was only several hundred dollars.). The truck has 83K miles on it now, as I use it only for hauling and towing my boat. I had very good luck with Michelin LTX M/S tires - first set lasted 75k miles. I would recommend these tires over any other tire due to its quiet and smooth ride, even wear and longevity. The truck gets 17-18 MPG with A/C on all the time. City or highway driving does not seem to affect the mileage because of low gearing.
    The four wheel drive system works flawlessly and I never had any problem with it. The truck never failed to start and never left me stranded. The engine check light has not come on to date. The A/C system after 9 years is as good as on the day I bought the truck. Never touched it in nine years. My rear brake shoes are originals and they look almost new. I installed one set of front brake pads in nine years. The original teal color paint looks showroom new, even though the truck spent nine years under hot Florida sun (garaged at night). But I take care of it and handwash it with Zip car wash every week.

Somebody I know has almost 300K miles on a truck just like mine, except it is an 86 model. He still has not rebuilt the original engine or transmission to this date. I saw another truck like his with over 300K miles. This should say something about the engine longevity on these trucks. The key is to do scheduled maintenance, replace the timing belt periodically, and change the oil often.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2003 Frontier CC LB 4x4 XE with the 3.3 V6. As in most vehicles when I turn on the defroster, the AC compressor kicks on to help clear the windows. However in this model the the AC compressor will NOT turn off when switched back to vent. The only solution is to turn the fan off, thereby all ventilation, or turn off the engine and turn it back on. Only then will the system return to vent without the AC compressor running. Thinking it was a problem I took to a dealer for service, and he replaced the activator, only to find out this is how the system is intended to work. The TSB says it is to assist keeping the windows clear. That may be OK in the tropics, but it doesn't help in heating the cab during a Nor'easter in January. Does anyone know of a fix to solve this? From the TSB it seems like a problem with 2003 models only. If it is why doesn't Nissan replace it with the 2002 or 2004 actuator? For anybody getting disappointing gas mileage or lack of power, this may be the culprit. Any suggestions would be helpful. Otherwise I have enjoyed the vehicle and look to many years of ownership.
  • love_my_trucklove_my_truck Member Posts: 17
    Tony,

You are going to love this truck! I have a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab XE. 50k, no problmes at all. Only complaint is a rough ride, but some new tires and shocks will solve that.
  • konekone Member Posts: 19
    I have a chance to buy a 99 SE 4cyl automatic that has 112k highway miles but is PERFECT inside and out. Price is $5500. Would be driven by teenage son mostly. As a 3rd family car a truck would be nice for occasional hauling and off to college. I'm concerned about the limitations of the engine/transmission combo. I'm not looking to haul 2 ton of bricks but....

Should i play or pass?
  • irish24irish24 Member Posts: 43
    we recently turned in our 90 nissan se v6 king cab...got an 04 CC V6 we were in your position for the last 4 yrs and it's been a great vehicle. But for me...even tho we don't do any major hauling...I'd still opt for the V-6. You might also check to see if there's a major tuneup coming up...if you don't do the work yourself, it could add another 500. good luck
  • jablonka1jablonka1 Member Posts: 8
    My 1998 pickup has "ALL" the bells and whistles, but to install them after market would not be cost effective. I would suggest you buy another....decked out truck.
  • danjlarkin4danjlarkin4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I just bought a 2000 Nissan frontier and when I came out for work this morning, after some heavy overnight rains, there was a small puddle of water on the passenger side floor... apparently running down the door seam. Anyone have experience with this... experience with fixing this? Thanks.

Daniel.
    check the weatherstripping on the door, it may be cut, twisted, missing. compare it to the left side which i assume does not leak. on my 2000 frontier, its slightly folder in on top, but still forms a good seal.
    Moving into the 5th year of Frontier ownership, some of the lack of quality control nuances are beginning to bug me. The truck is parked outside - I just noticed the headliner is sagging, some type of plastic shell covered with felt. Apparently the glue/epoxy has broken loose, and now it sags. The carpeting was never a good fit, with parts of it lifting off the floor; rubber stripping that was never quite right, little piddly stuff. Only consolation is the mechanicals appear to be solid at this point.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I have a 1997 XE with the standard cab and bed. Does anyone know if the compact spare can be replaced with a full size alloy wheel and standard size tire? I've obtained a fifth alloy wheel, and before I purchase a new tire for it I thought I'd ask this board. Thanks.
  • daddyof4daddyof4 Member Posts: 1
    My frontier will start and run but as soon as you turn it off it will not start again for awhile has anybody had this problem and would you let me know what it is this truck is used in my work and I need it on the road as fast as possible thanks
  • jeffhempeljeffhempel Member Posts: 3
    I have a misfire in cylinder 4. It is not continuous and 2 Nissan dealerships cannot diagnose
    it. I have replaced spark plug wires and distributor cap. Truck has 150,000 miles, but otherwise runs well. Any suggestions?
  • love_my_trucklove_my_truck Member Posts: 17
    Might be an easy fix there daddy-o.

Could be the neutral safety switch. If it is and automatic, make sure it is all the way in park. Also try starting while it is in neutral. Might be the cause. Also check you battery cables for corrosion. Hope this helps!
  • awestyawesty Member Posts: 1
    Nissan in Australia have a program to replace #4 spark plug wire. I think it is routed differently
  • mt10149mt10149 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 frontier 4 cly with 5500 miles on it. Tow weeks ago I had the oil changed. The shop that did the work put in about a quart too much oil. I drove the truck about 225 miles before noticing. THis is the second time the shop put too much oil in. The first time they put about 1/2 quart too much and said it would'nt hurt anything, so I drove it till change time came again. This morning I had them drain the excess oil till it was on the full mark.

The shop manager said they won't take responsibility if something should go wrong with the engine. It runs fine, but I worry there will be problems ahead, and Nissan will find some way not to cover it. Can any harm have been done to it? I checked and found no leaks or oil anywhere. What would you do if something like this happened to you.
  • pontiacrickpontiacrick Member Posts: 26
    I just recently purchased a 02 4WD XE which has the standard Dark Gray/Black plastic wheel mouldings and front bumper. Really like the body color mouldings on the SC models better. Has anybody ever heard of or tried to have these moulding pieces painted the same as the body color? Didn't know if the plastic was the same material on the XE as on the SC and if this could be painted.
  • mikeapolloniomikeapollonio Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 03 NISSAN FRONTIER SC 4 WHEEL DRIVE CREW CAB.WHEN I GO UP HILLS WITH THE CRUISE AND THE GAS KICKS IN TO SPEED UP THE TRUCK. THE ENGINE REMAINS RUNNING AT 4000 RPM EVEN AFTER I GO OVER THE HILL AND BACK ON FLAT LAND.I TOOK I IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID (THATS WHAT IT IS SURPOSE TO DO AND THE OWNERS MANUEL SAYS NOT TO USE THE CRUISE GOING UP HILLS) I CANNT BELIEVE THE TRUCK SURPOSE TO RUN THIS WAY.I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR 36 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A VEHICLE DO THIS. I CALL OTHER DEALER IN HILLY AREAS AND THEY NEVER HEARD OF IT AND NISSAN DOESNT WANT TO BOTHER WITH IT.AND JUST DOESNT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    hmm odd, I know mine on my trooper will stay in a lower gear after going over a hill but that's usually due to a slight uphill at first I thought it was spazzig but it was a result of the uphil i hit ever so slightly.

-mike
  • jay_northropjay_northrop Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Frontier that I bought in 2002 with 25K miles on the clock. Not too long after I bought it it developed a suspension clunk. I took it to the dealer and they had it for two days replacing something (I don't remember what exactly) and it was fine for about a year....then it developed the clunk again. I complained to the dealer but they said the repair lasted a year and I was SOL. I complained to Nissan with no satisfaction.

Anyways, I eventually took the truck to a Monroe to have them look at it. The 20 year old fellow told me that the stabilizer bar on the rear needed to be put back together, he did the work and didn't charge me a dime. I gave the kid $20 to buy himself a couple of lunches. A few months later the clunk returned. I'm going to try to tighten it up myself. My question: Anyone else seen this problem?

-Jay
    I own a 2000 Desert Runner with 70k miles, bought brand new in 1999. No clunking, just rattling wheel center caps. Good luck.
    I have the 2000 XE Frontier. Surprised to find that you have a rear stabilizer - I don't. A suspension problem I found on the front was a missing spacer between the nut and rubber bushing. The nut worked its way into the bushing, allowing a lot of slop in the handling. It hadn't gotten to a point where it was clunking on me. But I have already replaced the shocks all around, so that may have helped. The OEM shocks are crap.
  • jml1jml1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same model truck as yourself and I used to work in the automotive field and the answer to your question is yes. You can paint them the same color as the body. The moldings are the same no matter what model frontier you have. They come from the manufacturer unpainted. If you are considering painting your moldings make sure you pick a reputable body shop. There is nothing worse than having the paint not match your truck. Let me know how it comes out and if you can, how much it costs.
    I have the 4 cyl on my 2000 Frontier. To all you new purchasers, the engine didn't really loosen up until it hit about 10,000 miles. You start feeling the torque kick it about then. I'm at 37,000 now and the engine feels a lot stronger now. Something to look forward to. I've also heard the twincam 4 cyl is really tough on engine oil, hence I wouldn't wait for a 7500 mile oil change interval. I've been doing them about every 3333, but will probably up it to 4000-4500. I've also tried Mobil 1 Synthetic in 5w-30. For whatever reasons the my engine seems to consume that oil, and I switched back to regular dino oil, typically 5w-30 winter, 10w-30 summer.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the info jml1.
    When I first bought the truck one month ago,(at my local Nissan/Cadillac dealer) the body guy said just to paint the fender mouldings would be in the $700 range. That did not include the front bumper. I plan to get an estimate at an actual body shop...thought the $700 seemed a little high. I just like the monochrome look better, so will let you know what I find out.
    So far the truck runs real good. Has just over 39,000 miles. Seems a little bumpy compared to my car, but it seems to have a real solid feel to it. (and no rattles!) I hate rattles.
    thanks for your info.
    mitsurob (formerly pontiacrick).
  • nobuggsnobuggs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 frontier XE 80K miles auto, my AC is not cooling, the fan seems to be working just like normal but no cool air, the on/off switch works and so does the compressor,i lifted the hood and checked,do I need a recharge? has anybody had this type of problem before? normally I would say a recharge but Nissans have a reputation for better reliability in this area,so if any body has had this type of problem any info would help thanks.
  • freewill1freewill1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 does the same thing. While in cruise it will down shift on a flat road or a hill and will not upshift. It will climb steep hills and not downshift so I don't think it is a power issue. Then at other times it will downshift on a flat road or a slight incline. When it downshifts it will not upshift unless I press one of the cruise buttons. My dealer acknowledges that there is a problem and is looking at Nissan for help. I have driven identical trucks that do not do this. Comments are welcome.
  • mikeapolloniomikeapollonio Member Posts: 3
    WELL IT SEEMS THAT YOUR DEALER IS ALOT BETTER THAN MINE HERE IN OKLAHOMA CITY,AND THE NISSAN TECH HELP TOO.NISSAN TOLD ME NOT TO DRIVE ON HILLS LOL. GOOD TO KNOW THIS
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    My 02 XE 4X4 seems to have an annoying resonating or vibration sound at idle when at a stop light for example. If the transmission is shifted to neutral, the engine revs a little higher and the sound goes away or when I accelerate the sound goes away. Almost acts like it is idling too low. Has any one else had this problem and if so wonder what was done to fix it. I've only had the vehicle for a little over a month so not sure if this is normal or not.?
    Thanks,
    mitsurob.
  • pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 frontier that developed similar AC problems,but mine developed at 51k miles. Have the dealer or an AC repair shop first run a diagnostic to check for leaks and the switch, before recharging. The problem with mine is the low end hose leaked. I agree that this is too soon for the AC to develop this kind of problem and should have lasted longer, and with a Nissan, this should have had better reliability.
  • jaytayjaytay Member Posts: 1
    I love this truck, pretty much perfect for my needs. Only one thing that has been annoying me since I bought it and that is the stereo.

This truck has the Rockford system and sounds great with CD's. When I listen to the radio it's almost like the subwoofer is completely non-functional. Even cranking the bass only results in a little life from the sub, and then a LOT of rumble when I play a CD.

Anyone know of any tricks to get the sub working with FM radio?
  • freewill1freewill1 Member Posts: 2
    Nissan sent a "specialist" to check it out and it seems that there is a problem with the speed sensors. My sensor was replaced with another style and that has taken care of the problem. My dealer worked with me on this however it took a long time to get it fixed. Stay with it- they know that there is a problem. Good Luck
  • sjg5530sjg5530 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2004 Frontier 4 cyl automatic, 5500 miles. When cold, i.e. outside overnight at 30 degrees, does not shift out of low gear until have driven serveral blocks at 35 to 30 mph, RPM 3000. Once shifted, no problems until cold again. Dealer test drove, contacted Nissan Technical Hot Line, said this is normal operation for this vehicle. Would like the opinion of other Frontier 4cyl auto owners if this is normal. I have never experienced this in 45 years of driving other automatics.
  • pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 frontier, with 51,000 miles...recently had trouble with the AC...it was only blowing hot air...brought it to the dealer, they did a diagnostic on it...first, the low end hose was leaking and this was replaced...after a few days, same problem again...further checking showed the evaporative coil behind the dash was also leaking...isn't this very early in the vehicle's life for this to occur? I had to bear the cost of repair...complained to Nissan, have not heard back...i do not expect a reply from them. There goes Nissan Quality..and customer service.