Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pablopepablope Member Posts: 10
    Check this site...center for auto safety...www.autosafety.org....problems with all makes of vehicles are collected...you can put any vehicle problems in their data base.Please spread the word around about this site.
  • dadouglasdadouglas Member Posts: 7
    Mine: 2005 Frontier CC V-6, 6 sp manual with 1500 miles.

Noticed what I thought was gasoline pinging, knocking coming from the truck during 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shifts. Sounds like a rapping almost. Took to the dealer who said they were 99.9% sure wasn't the engine, but rather something coming from the exhaust. Wanted to wait another 1000 miles before pushing up the Nissan chain since no history has been built up. Anybody else having the same issues with their new 2005 Frontier? Last note, once in 5th gear you don't hear anything, and you don't hear anything revving the engine while sitting still. Thanks in advance.
  • jasong2jasong2 Member Posts: 18
    Don't now if this helps, but thought I'd add it . . I have had a similar problem with a 1991 Nissan Pickup and a 2004 Xterra. On both, the problem was before the first oil change.

On the 1991 Pickup, the problem was a loose bolt on one of the skid plates.

On the 2004 Xterra, the rear bolts on the plate covering the underside of the engine compartment were loose.

On the '91, the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I lived with it for 3000 miles until my local garage figured it out. When it happened with the Xterra, loose bolts were the first thing I check.

Jason
  • taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    I think I put my post about this on the wrong page. See #452 in the Nissan 2005+. I have what sounds like the same issue except I have an automatic. But it comes during acceleration and goes away at about 45-50 mph. Have not taken it in as I just started noticing it yesterday.
    Absolutely. Your description is right on target with mine. It is a knocking/rattling of sorts that happens then goes away once I'm in 5th gear which is usually once I hit around 40+ MPH. Sounds like it's coming from the front passender side under the hood. I took to my dealer and he didn't want to start tearing it down yet. Thought it might be something in the exhaust as opposed to the engine itself. I"m frustrated because they want to wait until some other history builds up on the truck. For now driving my truck has become frustrating because I hear this sound and I keep thinking maybe I should have waited before purcashing, or worse maybe I should have bought the Tacoma. Anyway, let me know what you find out at your dealer.
  • wyldcat89wyldcat89 Member Posts: 8
    ^^ If you check the Tacoma forums available on the net, you'll find that the Toyota is having it's share of "freshman jitters" with loose cab mounts, mysterious noises at highway speeds and other small issues. I think so far, many of these problems are minor and will be fixed with a TSB. Regarding the Frontier though, I suppose some minor issues are to be expected with a first year production vehicle just like the Tacoma.

Makes me a little nervous though, I was planning on purchasing my Crew Cab 4x2 Nismo Automatic this weekend. Hmm, maybe I should hold off for a little while.
    As an update, it was particularly cold here the two days I had this issue with mine. Today I let the truck warm up briefly and I didn't have the knock/rattle at all. Sounds weird, but I can say I have heard it 2 days out of the two weeks I have driven it - now has about 1000 miles. I can also say that is the only real problem I have noted so far - and there are lots of things to like!!
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Hey witch truck do you have?I'm looking to buy the king cab le 4wd. can you tell me alittle about you truck make and modle

Thanks.
  • landscaperlandscaper Member Posts: 1
    Taylor35,

As a prospective '05 Frontier buyer I'd like any more impressions you may have about the new Nissan. Looked the Titan over with a fine-tooth comb before deciding that I wanted to down-size from my current full-size domestic. New Frontier feels great but I have reservations about anyones "first year" model. Sounds like you did your research ??
    I have the CC LE 4x4. I was all but in a Titan. In fact I was sitting in the sales office on New Year's Eve with a contract on a Titan in front of me and I pulled out. I have a Yukon Denali XL and decided I just didn't need another giant vehicle. But I did want another vehicle that I could tow a boat with.

I looked very hard at the Tacoma as well, even drove one for a day, but I decided on the Frontier - they both had good things going for them and I have owned Toyotas before with great success. For some reason the Frontier just felt right to me. I love the engine in the Frontier, the ride is great, RF stereo is very cool and I just like the way it looks.

Despite the engine noise issue, I would stick with my choice (of course that could change if it turns out to be a real problem).
    I have the CC SE 2WD w/ Six Speed Manual. The engine noise is still there. Seems to be getting more noticable or maybe I'm just more aware of it. It's gotten to where everytime I drive it I turn off the radio just to hear it. I'm about this close to taking to another Nissan dealer just to let them give me their 2 cents. Again, I don't want them tearing the thing down just to be doing it, but I don't like sitting back and doing nothing. I did a lot of research before buying and like other posters said, this truck just felt right unlike the Tacoma. And I"e owned a Tacoma before. In fact I have been a sworn Toyota owner for years. I truly hope this is nothing but a loose thing-a-ma-jig, but I keep thinking it's more. I will let you guys posted.

Maybe someone from Nissan reads this group. If so, post a followup where I can write in more detail. I really want to "love" this truck. Nissan, help me love it....
    This was posted in another forum. Maybe it's a lead. Anybody here know what a plenum is?

#467 of 471 Re: Engine Knock/Rattle?? [taylor35] by nothappy3 Jan 29, 2005 (5:09 am)

Bookmark | Reply

i have a 2005 se v6 1200 miles noise at 2100 rpm & oversounds like marbles in motor took to dealer says plenum needs replaced. defect waiting for part to come in.
  • hogan3hogan3 Member Posts: 12
    The oil gage on my truck seems to fluctuate between mid-level and high as I drive. I mentioned this to the service dept. and I was told that since it doesn't have a baffle its normal for the needle to sway as I'm driving. I'm not much of a mechanic but this doesn't seem right.
  • lumberjacklumberjack Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 1999 Nissan Frontier,I recently noticed that when I turn on the head lights the third brake light comes on its not brightly lite but stays on with the head lights. The rear brake lights work as normal any help would be appreciated.
    Since you posted your question I have watched mine and it stays at the midline. Doesn't fluctuate like you describe, so I don't think the explanation you got sounds right.
  • shydeshyde Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my '02 Frontier and have the same question. The CD player kicks but receiver based sound fizzles. Not sure if this requires modification or what?
  • sinferatusinferatu Member Posts: 1
    I started my 1997 Nissan Hardboy Pick-up today, and for some reason, the battery light stays on and no gauges work expept the fuel gauge... the speedometer, tach, and temp gauge all dont work.. they are teh only things that dont work, everything else works, i've checked the brights, they work the light even comes on, the battery isnt dying and i've checked all teh fuses and they are all still good.. does anyone know the reason why this is happening, and what i could do to fix it.. thanks
  • chadlichadli Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier XE, recently my Cruise control went out. When I push the button to turn it on, the little green light (on the button) comes on. When I push the Set button on the steering wheel the "cruise" indicator on the dash does not come on, and the cruise control doesn't actually engage. I figured the cheapest solution would be to buy another relay and go from there, however I can't find where the cruise control relay is! Can anyone help? Please?
  • bluewlvrnbluewlvrn Member Posts: 1
    I use to own a Ford Probe GT and they dumbed down the oil gauge on later years just for this reason. Too many customers would freak out when it bounced around. As another poster said, the gauge will fluctuate w/temp and RPMs.
  • niatl2004nissaniatl2004nissa Member Posts: 1
    Hey! I just bought my 2004 Frontier CC-XE V6 on clearance.
    I've been looking at this truck since 2001 but never had the extra cash or wanted to pay that much for a 2nd car for errands & work truck.
    Does your engine hesitate in the morning or anytime when it's cold?
    I feel a little hesitation & it's not very quite either.
    The engine is a little bit weak going up hills. I was disappointed!
    I have to admit. I should have pay $1000-1500 extra for the new 2005.
    But I was too cheap.
    haha
    I hope this truck will last a long time.
    Do you have any problems with it?
    Thanks,
    Nia
    Atlanta, GA
  • rich270rich270 Member Posts: 1
    The check engine light is on for my '96 Nissan pickup truck. Is there a way to view the code without heading off to the dealer?

Thanks!
    rewald@yahoo.com
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Yeah, go to Pep Boys or AutoZone and have them diagnose the code for freeee. ONce you get the code, call your dealer and ask for their advice.
  • philtumesphiltumes Member Posts: 1
    I have same truck as you, and thought I was going crazy hearing same rapping noise. Always heard it as I got to about 2200 rpms in all gears. Have it at Nissan dealer today to try to correct - again. Took to 2nd Nissan dealer for opinion - said it was a new truck, and all checked out fine. I keep turning down my radio to listen to/for it constantly. I love my Nissan, and is 3rd Nissan truck I've owned - don't want to get rid of it. My salesman suggested I check here for similar owner's problems, and lo and behold, there they are. I just want it fixed. Took another similar (auto)truck for ride this morning, and did not hear this rapping.
  • 2schmeh2schmeh Member Posts: 2
    I'm not insane! Woohoo!...I was thrilled to find I wasn't the only one with this rattling problem. I got my '02 NISMO Crew Cab 4x4 brand new in January with 12 miles on her. At precisely 125 miles I started hearing a knocking in the engine compartment at 2000 RPM consistently. It seemed to dull a bit when it warmed up, but it was definitely still there. I took it to two different dealers to within the first week to fix it. The first dealer said "use higher octane fuel". Told them to stick it, as the compression is only 9.7 and shouldn't need it. The second place said "Sounds like a truck to me".

Brilliant! Thanks for your help! Idiot.

When I insisted there was a problem, the service manager said "Well, you don't really want us tearing into your new truck just yet, do you? Give it another 1000 miles."

I would love to hear if anyone knows of a TSB that has been posted for this problem yet.
  • nomoniassannomoniassan Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you brothers. My truck does the same thing on small hills-interstate driving. I got the same answer."works the way it was designed." B.S. I think they are mis-representing this product as "cruise control". It is also dangerous to suddenly downshift and stick at high RPMs .Bottom line...THey know they have a problem but don't care.
  • ageezerageezer Member Posts: 7
    I too, have the engine rattle at 2200 rpm in my 2005 CC LE and would like to share the TSB I found that covers this problem.

Go to:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/ownership/bulletins/nissan/2005/NTB05-015.htm

This will explain the problem and the fix. Other than this, I love the Frontier, my '04 Tacoma couldn't compare and the '05 didn't turn my crank at all. Hope this helps.
  • fredtpfredtp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 CC LE Frontier with Fosgate and it had poor reception....Dealer said they have had more of the same with Fosgate in Titan so they replaced radio and it works great now....I love my 05 Frontier.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Hey fredtp,can you give me any insite on of your truck,I thinking about buying one my self ,the same kind as you what specs did you get.
    goodluck with the truck.
  • 2schmeh2schmeh Member Posts: 2
    It helps a great deal...thanks a bunch for posting this!
  • fredtpfredtp Member Posts: 2
    It is a 4x2 Storm Gray, limited slip, tow package and Fosgate 5 speed auto....right now I am getting 16.5 mpg...Have only 1100 miles on it...
  • halfcar609halfcar609 Member Posts: 11
  • halfcar609halfcar609 Member Posts: 11
    Has any one noticed any change in the way that the tranny shifts. My truck has a noticeable down shift when accelerating or coming to a stop. The dealer is saying that its normal. Anybody else?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    mine does not do this.
  • frontier_manfrontier_man Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 frontier XE, 50K miles. i had the same symptoms you spoke of with the ac not cooling. i took it in and they told me that i needed a new compressor. THAT SUCKS. i don't have $1000 to spend on a truck that isn't that old. i'm a little disappointed in nissan. i'm going to raise hell. but i'm sure i'll get no where.
  • doubledaredoubledare Member Posts: 1
    I don't think your oil gage should fluctuate while driving.
    But the statement of no baffle, in the pan is wrong, your measuring pressure not volume.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Picked up a new CC LE 4x4 last Saturday. It was built earlier in March, and the dealer just received it a week ago. No "rattle", no other problems.

So far the only "complaint" I have is that I can hear a faint wind/road noise apparently coming from the rear driver's side door. The one we test drove didn't make this noise. All weather stripping looks OK. Any ideas?
  • tija99tija99 Member Posts: 2
    HAVE THEM CHECK TEH HIGH PRESSURE HOSE OF FRONT FOR LEAKS A NISSAN CERTIFIED SHOP ( NOT THE DEALERSHIP) CAN FIX FOR $200 DEALERSHIP ABOUT $380.00

THE HOSE FOR MY 2000 COST $100 THE OTHER 100 FOR LABOR & FREON.

MILEAGE ON MINE IS 196,000 STILL DRIVES GREAT
  • tija99tija99 Member Posts: 2
    hOW DO YOU FLUSJ THE RADIATOR COOLANT I CAN'T FIND THE DRAIN PLUG ON MY 2000 FRONTIER.

HAS 196,000 STILL RUNS GREAT!!!
  • gunmetalkatgunmetalkat Member Posts: 7
    I bought my 05 Frontier CC Nismo 4x2 on Jan 15 2005; by Jan 29 I had the engine/exhaust rattle too at 2250rpm! Drove me crazy! I read about the TSB fix here on this website, and took it to my dealership where I demanded that they order the parts required; and BEHOLD! It is FIXED!!! I am extremely glad I found your website and someone knew about the fix! THANK YOU!!!
  • surfgonsurfgon Member Posts: 1
    I get a 2000 Nissan frontier 4 months ago very thing was perfect until a noted all the gauges get freeze I mean they don't move for about 10 minutes around, and then came normally after that any suggestion up there ,
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    When I sold my 1993 Nissan pick-up, it had 219,000 miles. Original clutch and water pump! My friend is still driving his 1990 Nissan Pick-up, which now has hit 174,000 miles. Both of these trucks were bought new.
  • champ2champ2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Frontier crew cab. When it rains very hard the front seatbelts that are still inside the center post get wet. The part of the belt inside the cab are dry. It happens on both sides but the drivers side gets the wettest. Does anyone else have this problem? My dealer has seen the problem but doesn't have a clue where to start looking for a solution any ideas out there.
  • val_04val_04 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to purchase a fog light for my 04 XE frontier since it doesn't have a fog light equipped when i purchase it. but i'm seems a bit confuse about these OEM parts first the part # N107513 (passenger side) OEM # 261501Z800 and part # N107514 (driver side) OEM # 261551Z800 but there's a problem there, accordning to the retailer it said that it's for 03 and 04 and i don't think it will fit since it's flat plus the mounting bracket is streched wide instead of elongated plus u still have to either solder it or use some connecting rod. Also there's a note to it that said Assy, what's an assy? assembled?

part # 19-5453-00 (passenger side) OEM # 261502Y925 and part # 19-5454-00 (driver side) OEM # 261552Y925 the retailer says it's only for 01 and 02 but it's almost the same with those stock fog light and it will certainly fit since it's elongated, has 3 screw at the end with a protruding wire to be connect.

can someone please help me out. thank you
  • dwittedwitte Member Posts: 2
    I see people posting about this knock in the engine. I notice in the morning and the morning only, when it hits about 12-1400 rpm that there is one slight knock. that is it, one knock then it is over. Is this what people are talking about? Does it start like that and progressively gets worse after more miles? Mine has only 500 miles on it right now. Already getting 19.5 mpg on it and loving that, I was expecting worse. Should get a little better when the engine is better broken in.
    But anyway, the knock that people have, was it something that would lead to problems down the road? Was it just that one knock in the morning? Thanks for the help guys.
    your nissan dealer should have a tsb out on the problem. simple repair, it is not damaging the engine. I had the knock at about 1500 rpm all the time, worse when the engine was cold, got the repair and now back to being very quiet.
  • dwittedwitte Member Posts: 2
    TSB? What is that? So this is the infamous knock that is heard. Did they give you a hard time since it is not damaging the truck? Is it a quick fix? sorry for so many questions. Just want to be knowledgeable. Just sounds funny going to a dealership and saying that I saw on the internet this is a problem and mine is doing it, please fix it. If it is not damaging the truck.
    if you didn't get my earlier post, I guess I can't send you to another website. But it is a service bulletin. I am sure if you do a google search you could find it. Fairly common problem on early 05 frontiers and pathfinder
  • jason0820jason0820 Member Posts: 21
    Recently purchased a new '05 Frontier 4x2 and coming up on the first oil change at 3,000 miles. Was thinking of using pure Synthetic, but also heard that you should wait until after break-in and after 15,000 miles before starting on Synthetic. Can anyone verify this??
  • gunmetalkatgunmetalkat Member Posts: 7
    My 2005 Frontier CC Nismo 4x2 has a "clunk" in the drivetrain on decel and accell, worse the hotter it gets; also have noticed a "shudder" on the 3-4 shift on hard accell getting on the interstate - dealer says its normal - I told them its not and the transmission will be coming out soon because it will fail - they don't believe me; also told them the drivetrain clunk acts likes broken motor or trans mount and they said they've checked both and are fine - something in the drivetrain is not correct. Anyone else with similar problems? HELP! Finally got the engine rattle repaired through information from this website--Thanks!
    Also - A/C compressor is quick cycling every 21 seconds, dealer says that normal too - told them its not. Any sugguestions? HELP! Very disgusted with truck, only keeping it because its PAID FOR!!!
    Dealer is giving you a line. My LE CC 4x4 is very smooth. I was just commenting on the fact i can hardly tell when it downshifts. No sound, very smooth. Going up hills, it rarely down shifts, and when it does it is seemless and barely noticable. Something is wrong with your truck. I would take it to another dealer.

I am at 7500 miles. I have not been pulling anything, but I have been offroading. I really enjoy the truck and would still buy it today. I think it is the best truck at the best price in this segment.