Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera

Comments

• carnut829carnut829 Member Posts: 4
    Recently purchased one from local dealer in Phoenix..long time large operation with huge parts inventory. If no luck try Rock Auto. There are several Catera parts listings on the internet. Go to Cadillac parts and surf. carnut829
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    I have some friends that bought a 2000 catera yank the engine and trans cpu struts front and rear repalced the heads with the ones from GM performace the intake crank and cam rebuilt the trans put a super charger on from borg & werner reprogram the cpu and OH MY GOD IT's A BMW KILLER zod to 60 3.8 sec top speed 202 mph inter cooled very low compression and yes 120 shot NOS FAST AND FURIOUS
  • jonw3jonw3 Member Posts: 4
    :sick: hello everyone my name is Jon. i am having a problem with my cady. I can start it up and after about 45 sec. is starts to miss really bad and then stalls i have checked the filter and put injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and still have the trouble. any one have a problem like mine?
  • bumperstickersbumperstickers Member Posts: 2
    I RECENTLY PURCHASE A BEAUTIFUL CATERA FOR $6500 AND I DID NOT RECEIVE AN OWNER'S MANUAL. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN PURCHASE ONE, ASAP

CAROLYN
  • az_hvyaz_hvy Member Posts: 30
    Hi Carolyn
    Go to the Cadillac Catera Maintenance and Repair section of this form (calicago, "Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair" #694, 4 Aug 2008 3:02 pm) and read post 707, easysell said he found a site which haves them on line mabye post there Im sure someone will help all pretty good folks here
  • bumperstickersbumperstickers Member Posts: 2
    THANK YOU GENTLEMENT FOR YOUR INFO FOR THE CATERA MANUAL BUT I WENT TO THAT WEBSITE AND IT WOULDNT DOWNLOAD TO MY COMPUTER AND I WOULDNT NEVER LET DOWN MY FIREWALL TO GET IT AS THE SITE INSTRUCTED.

GUESS I WILL HAVE TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER WAY.
  • narvintnarvint Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I need help with the radiator cooling hose connections.
    I run the hoses in the in correct place. will same one inform me
    how to run the hoses back in the correct place.

I help with the following heat hose runs ( from the top of the radiator to the elect or aux water pump.Water is spraying out of the radiator's storage tank with the cap off

I need a pictures of the top engine radiator hoses "Please"

Please forward to: narvin.tunstall@usmc.mil

God Bless

Thank
  • trickpony1trickpony1 Member Posts: 1
    my 97 cadi is sputtering and pulls on the trans when driving-- it is driveable--- but barely, we have to drive it, the only car we got. it just started this--- we replaced the trans about 3 months ago. also the fuel pump. all this car has been is a head ache.. any suggestions on what it could be??
  • az_hvyaz_hvy Member Posts: 30
    go to Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair in this form I sure someone can help you there but it sounds like the CPS to me read past 10- 20 post
  • patsaipatsai Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera headlight switch problem. I have replaced the switch three time and each time the switch burned up need to know if anyone has the voltage for the pin on the light switch
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Member Posts: 1,151
    I just got one, its silly that they would say that. This car is the Opel Omega in Europe and is still made today.
    There is a PDF file you can google and download for free out there. Not that the manual is worth too much.
    The plug in is still in the trunk for that CD holder, It along with the rear window shade are opitions. So you can still buy them because its was also used on other GM products. My 2002 Camaro has the same CD holder as my 2001 Catera.
    That sounds like the dealer doesn't know how to fix them and your paying for their training. Are you any where near Dallas?
  • tommeektommeek Member Posts: 3
    Hello...if you are still looking for your manual, there are a couple of ways to get them. Sellers often have them on eBay and you can look there. And some Auto Salvage Yards sell the manuals from cars they have. You can look for suppliers by area and price at www.car-part.com. Prices usually range from $10-25 plus shipping if needed. When you go to car-part.com, input your make model and year and select Owners Manual from the drop-down list of parts. Good luck.
  • carnut829carnut829 Member Posts: 4
    After a recent oil change, the check engine light came on. I mention that because the Wal Mart employee seemed to have trouble finding the filter and in the process I wonder if he could have disconnected something that led to what a scanner say's is trouble with the secondary air pump. On a recent visit to a Cadillac dealer, I mentioned the issue to the service manager who had been there for many years. He told me this had been a common complaint and to date Cadillac has yet to come up with a fix for it. Need to know if anyone among you has had this problem and if by any chance you found a solution. Thanx Carnut
  • vic20vic20 Member Posts: 1
    Help, I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket unit the problem is that when I turn the car off the unit losses all the settings, in about ten minutes if I turn the car back on in that time frame it is ok , but if I come back in about 30 min. I have to program the radio again the unit is wired correctly. Does the car shut off all the aux power (memorie wire power) after its been sitting for a while.
  • bgcatbgcat Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced poor shifting after Catera warms up? Feels like transmission is slipping into neutral upon acceleration and will not shift.
    Car runs fine until running temperature is reached, 10-15 miles.
    Your input would be appreciated.
  • IcanIcan Member Posts: 1
    Hi Karen, I bought my Catera two years ago and have been enjoying it every since. I have driven it everywhere and it has been a blast. I was unsure of the condition of the timing belt so I am changing it. Since I have found a bunch of other things that are still on from the factory I am gonna change them to relieve any future problems. At my last trip I got 32 mpg which is pretty good considering we were traveling at or above the interstate posted limit. My only problem is locating the tool to hold the crank and cams while I do the belt. I will find one somewhere. I teach an automotive service technology course and the students just look and wonder how something can be sooooo complicated. If they only knew. Thanks for the forum and take care.
    I would say that you either have a bad Crank Position Sensor or the Mass Air Flow needs replacing. Get Auto Zone to get you some codes and go from there. many codes should be ignored. go with the cheap parts first.
    The timing belt is designed to last 100,000 miles, The first Catera's were failing early. 2000 and 2001 should be fine. The belt breaking will crash into the valves and require head work. In Europe many cars are serviced at the 100,000 and extensive work is done. While your there you can replace the water pump, tensioner, all the pulleys/bearings. Cadillac charges $3,500 and the cheapest I've seen is $2,500. Many untrained folks have caused more damage than good in doing this themselves. My brother in law is a Mr Goodwrench and was fortunate enough to be sent on the Catera training. Few dealerships even bothered. Again this is a EURO car and designed, if maintained well, to last a lifetime. There are a few common and simple to fix problems. However, many American technical people have no training and therefore customers are paying for on the job training, much as a dog would chase its tail.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I thought the manualsuggests changing the timing belt at 60,000 miles.
  • dave53dave53 Member Posts: 2
    The drivers side tempeture control knob is out, what must I do to replace it.
    Also is there suppose to be a light at the ignition to assist placement of the key when starting? If so mine dosen't work either.
    Thank you
  • ministerdavisministerdavis Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I am a new owner of a 2000 Catera; I think this will be the best car I have ever owend! I like the feel and the zippy engine, I will accespt any advise from this fourm. My Catera has 94,225 miles, what should I check in my next servicing?
  • bhc128bhc128 Member Posts: 3
    My wife just bought a '98 Catera. She was having trouble turning the key in the ignition (it works fine in the door locks), so she called a locksmith. He brought out a new key from the dealership to see if the old key was "worn." After he tried that key, the whole ignition system has locked down. The dealer (which is many miles away) has said we need to get the car towed in. Any suggestions for a way to get the car unlocked so that we can drive it to the dealer instead of paying for towing?
  • ladylovecateraladylovecatera Member Posts: 2
    My radiator light came one,it was low,added the right cooler,then engine low light came on a few days later,engine oil mixed in the radiator box and all under the hood everywhere but in the oil refill where it should be,took to shop and was told needed an engine oil cooler,got car back the next day and problem started back and only just drove the car from the shop and parked it in the garage. Shop was supposed to have flushed the entire system and hoses and replace all hoses if necessary which I was told did not need to replace the hoses because caught it in time. I have contacted the consumer affairs regarding this auto shop as I as told after my car was torn appart and looked at that it was definitely the engine oil cooler needing replaced and I did call the Cadillac Dealers and an auto part shops that I deal and inform them of what was happening and all was inagreed that it was the engine oil cooler that needs to be replaced, which is what I did, but I don't think the shop I took it too did all what they were supposed to do.. Therefore, when getting work done on these particular vehicles, best to take it to the dealer if you can. ... Just wanted to let you guys know. I have been very pleased with my card as it is a good running car... Good Luck to all!!!!
  • britnbritn Member Posts: 2
    There isn't a dipstick to check the trans fluid, it's a sealed unit. :lemon:
  • konamadekonamade Member Posts: 8
    Buy and set of shop manuals off e-bay and get aquainted
  • konamadekonamade Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering where you get the supercharger. And also maybe some valance body pieces
  • cateragirl22cateragirl22 Member Posts: 6
    have a 2000 catera when it rains car floods on passenger side front and rear where is the water coming from?
  • cateragirl22cateragirl22 Member Posts: 6
    Hi i own a 2000 catera dont let the repairs ive had discourage you but these are things i fixed and am still working on being repaired i think the previous owner didnt maintain the car well heater core radiator alternator ox sensor mass airflow sensor and now i need new suspension they say its a commond problem gaskets and timing belt and experiancing the car flooding whenever it rains on the passenger side im willing to get the repairs done because i love this car and after this is done that should be every thing she had 55000 miles when i got her i think its worth it
  • micldarmicldar Member Posts: 7
    Somebody can advise about what kind of pads can I purchase for my Catera 2000?

That's because you can find differents kinds of materials, like metallics, semi-metallics, titanium, ceramics, Posi-Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads with Shims - ?.

So, maybe there are more materials, and that's my problem, what is the correct one for my cadi.

Thanks in advance,
    I've have the Auto Zone lifetime pads and they are great. At 95K I'll need to replace the rotors in another 50K, but the pads will still be good. The original lasted only 30K. Fact is that my rear pads will need replacement before the front.

Unfortunately the Catera has wires instead of squeelers to warn you of low pads. I just cut off the wire at the teflon/plastic and twisted them together. They are way too expensive.
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    They told me get it from saab every thing inter cooler waste gate and go to Specterwerkes for body parts ;) and to all you guys that drive civics...............YOU GO GIRL :P
  • thirdcoastredothirdcoastredo Member Posts: 3
    what is a cool air box?
  • jbivenjbiven Member Posts: 1
    I have had to replace the ignition cylinder in my 98 three times (at $135.00 a pop) And now the door locks are also broken.There is no way to by pass the ignition lock, however sometimes it will turn and start after many trys. Don't put off the repair, it can also lock up in the on position and you can't leave the vehicle until battery drains!!! That's fun... :mad:
  • boogieeboogiee Member Posts: 2
    MY MOTHER HAS 1997 CATERA THE IGNITION SWITCH HAS LOCK UP WE CAN NOT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL AT ALL. SHE HAS TWO KEYS WE TRIED BOTH OF THEM. I HAVE BEEN CALLING AROUND ABOUT GETTING IT FIXED. I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT COULD RUN ANY WERE FROM $300.00 TO $400.00 TO GET FIXED. I ALSO HAVE BEEN TOLD IT COULD BE A NUTURAL SAFTY SWITCH UNDER THE COLUM. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT.
  • bhc128bhc128 Member Posts: 3
    I was the one that posted the original question about this. I'm afraid that I don't have the greatest of news. Several people have since told me that the lock mechanisms on Cateras were not real sturdy, and tend to need replacement after a while.

Our son is an engineer. He looked at the car, and decided that there was no good way to fix it without replacing the lock mechanism (which, with towing to the dealer, parts, and labor, would have run over $1,000).

Our solution was to drill out the screws holding the ignition lock in place, and to install a simple "on-off" (flip) switch for the ignition (like a light switch) and a "push-button" switch for the starter. If someone gets into the car (by picking the lock or breaking a window), the only thing that keeps them from starting the car is that you need to hold the original key (which has a chip in in) close to the steering wheel or the system shuts down. It's not a pretty solution, but it lets us drive the car and saved a ton of money.
  • boogieeboogiee Member Posts: 2
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND INTERTEST. MAY GOD BLESS
  • nogm4menogm4me Member Posts: 13
    I am responding to the " leveling " idiot light issues posted by " redheadshar ". I have
    posted before and am an owner of a 97 Cat with 165k miles on the odometer. I had the " rear " air ride shocks replaced in June of this yr. the factory units literally rotted into oblivion. My idiot light was on/off for well over a year. You are correct, do not load the trunk and drive over rough terrain. The IRS ( independent rear suspension ) could become damaged. Suggestions: make sure the leveling switch is operating correctly.
    If you have over 80-90k miles, replace the air ride shocks. No questions asked. Look for a reputable brand, the one starting with "M" is barely above factory quality. Go with the Japanese or German brand. approx. $150 each. ( only the rear are involved). As I mentioned I replaced the 2 units at 160k and the steering feel improved, handling in general and I get better fuel mileage. Why,..? the vehicle has returned to the proper rake angle in meeting the wind. You can hear the air pump run then stop after the switch determines proper ride height/load for the car. My new dilema was a steering box that began leaking profusely. They are not serviceable and require a good used unit in it's place, very labor intensive. Some estimates indicate that up to 80 % of vehicles on the road have substandard suspensions on them. Don't let yours be one of them. (see link )
    http://www.motorist.org/news/consnews/BatteriesRideControlUICSMy6.pdf
  • hgqguyhgqguy Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out why the car will not start? my 2000 catera sport just started doing this yesterday shut of, came back to car, turn key, everything works except wont start.. nothing happens, no click, or even a try to start.. fliped key over, and after 6 tries it started.
    ran fine today then I went to leave again, same problem, after 10 tires I gave up and drove the other car..
    if you have anyinfo I would appreciate it..
    I have seen alternator, battery, coils and cam or crank sensor as possibles..
    thanks for your time.
  • dirtdiver826dirtdiver826 Member Posts: 3
    Not your battery or alternator ... my 98 is in the shop as I send this with the same problem ... she will start up on her own if given enough time but sometimes she wont even try. The weirdest part is when she is being fussy she will start with a jump regardless (senseless!). I'll keep you posted.
  • purify100purify100 Member Posts: 3
    What should I look for before considering purchasing this car, can someone advise me? An auto mechanic business owner is selling it. Looking forward to a response, thank you. :D
  • purify100purify100 Member Posts: 3
    ooops! I forgot to mention, it uses premium gas. Does anyone know why premium and can it get away with regular or will it cause serious damage? :)
  • json1json1 Member Posts: 1
    Mine 2001 did the samething. It was the crank sensor.
    I need to sell a new (not a rebuilt) Catera Bosch alternator. I have noted that the Catera rebuilts don't last a year if lucky. I'm looking to get $150 plus shipping for it.
    Thanks
  • luddybrianluddybrian Member Posts: 1
    I NEED A NEW SHORT BLOCK(1997) BUT ONLY ONE AVAILABLE IS 1999/2001...ARE PARTS INTERCHANGABLE BETWEEN 1997 AND 1999 ???
    LUDDYBRIAN...
  • drandazzodrandazzo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Subaru Forester. Can anyone tell me WHY it has an engine oil coller for an automatic?
  • snootysnooty Member Posts: 2
    After my 1997 catera runs for awhile, it shuts down When I come to a stop. There is no engine light and it starts when I turn it back on. Without a code My mechanic is having a hard time finding the problem. Is there anyone else with this problem and what is the solution?