Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• lou89lou89 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 98 Catera, 33,000 mi has 2 water leaks repaired. Both leaked a rear of engine area and firewall. #1 was a heater water pump , #2, one m0nth later was a heater water valve- both plastic pieces--$, 130 and 260, from independent Cadillac repair. 3 dealer quotes by phone were $500, 750, 1000.
  • jessie408jessie408 Member Posts: 1
    I can not gain entry to my cadillac. I cant open it with the key or the key less entry.. the towing companies cant even get into my car..so I cant get under the hood..the sun roof is open a little and one of the towing guys tried to get into it that way as well but no luck..I replaced the battery in the key less entry and the battery in the car is only a couple months old. Its been sitting for almost a month bc i have no idea where to begin and rain is coming..anyone have any suggestions?
  • chanun406chanun406 Member Posts: 3
    It's probably your mulit-purpose modulator that is located under the dash behind the steering wheel. Mine went out on my Catera and it caused everything to quit working, including the fuel door, trunk, stereo etc... I would use a slim jim to gain entry and then switch it out.
    I ordered a new modulator from the Cadiallac dealer, it cost $90. It is very easy to change (except for having to stand on your head under the steering column). All you have to do is locate the gray box (sorry I don't have a picture of it to post but there is a previous blog on this site that tells you exactly how to do it and posts a pictur), take it out and plug in the new one.
    My car has worked perfect since the replacement.
  • KMS4KMS4 Member Posts: 1
    Trying changing the crank shaft position sensor. I had this problem earlier in the spring with my 99 Catera.
  • tomcat8tomcat8 Member Posts: 5
    Go to an ace hardware or equivalent and buy some powdered graphite spary and spray into keyhole it should corract your ignition key problems.
  • tanyula8tanyula8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information, but I have since found out what the problem was, computer chip in the shifter was broken. That's what was stopping the key from coming out. Had to replace at the cost of 125.00
  • chelseapchelseap Member Posts: 2
    The problem I am having with the catera is sometimes in the am when I go to work as I put the car in gear to leave my driveway the transmission light & check engine light will come on & the transmission, I call it, drops out The car will barely move now if I get the car moving & then get it up to 40-45mph & at that time turn the key on off on off repeatedly for oh a mile or 2 the transmission light will go off & the car will run perfectly fine the rest of the day no matter how any hours if is pared at my job The check engine light will go out that afternoon after being turned off for a few hours , it doesn't happen all of the time, what could this be?
  • chelseapchelseap Member Posts: 2
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Member Posts: 1,151
    Hi, I'm looking to sell a brand new (not a rebuilt) alternator, to someone near the Dallas area. Its an OEM Bosch. As I understand it, rebuilts and aftermarkets rarely last 6 months.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2010
    Try Craigslist! We don't allow classified ads here in the Forums.

Visiting Host
  • clydeh1clydeh1 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I have a 2000 Catera and I love it. Had a few problems since bought it but nothing I would not have with any other machine. Question since you are familiar with this car -
    I have some of the indicator lights on my a/c heat control panel out and I want to put in new bulbs. I saw an article a short while ago on how to change them but I lost the message.
    Do you have any information that would help.
  • mshipzmshipz Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I have a 1999 Catera that initially wouldn't start without starting fluid. It reads DTC p411 when put on the machine. It starts everyday, but has recently started to stall when I'm at the stoplight or a stop sign and won't restart without starter fluid. The other day, it cut offf as I turned into my driveway. Today it stalled 3 times (twice at stoplights and once at a stop sign)! I love this car and want to keep it..it has 116,000 miles on it. HELP!!! Also, my check engine light is on (has been for a month), and I failed the emissions test due to the check engine light...it came back DTC p411
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    I got new tires and alignment last week. Immediately after that, I had trouble with the steering wheel locking while driving. (It may not have anything to do with the alignment.) When I came to a corner a tried to turn, the steering wheel was locked and would not turn. Then I grabbed it and cranked as hard as I could, and it unlocked. I had my husband check it out, and it seemed OK. But since then, it has happened three more times. Could this be the anti-theft device locking up?
    Right now, with the car parked and key out, the wheel is NOT locked (turns freely).
    No experiencewith this. Report this to the tire and alignment source(s). Indicate you expect them to correct what they did to cause this dangerous problem.
  • ocpocp Member Posts: 1
    so we are trying to figure out the whole deal with the car, but we dont seem to nail it. the car turns on but will not accelerate at all.
    we replaced the throttle body, pedal level sensor and still does the same thing.

can anyone help?

thanks
  • milheiser1milheiser1 Member Posts: 1
    I can fix your radio problem. As far as the other guy with the shorts I can fix yours too. It is a box under the dash. The solder joints are broke I guarantee it. Anyone want it fixed email me at simplymilheiser@yahoo.com. THanks
  • member47member47 Member Posts: 6
    Junk it before your way in, more than what you end up bargaining for. Mine had a TON of problems, fuel pump, TC/ABS, Speedometer, Cracked Head Gaskets, the dash was lit up like a X-Mas tree, and still is.

The main thing to fix here would be the cracked head gaskets which costs to repair about $800 up to $1000 or more depending on where you take your car too.

There's a government program which gives you money if your car no longer can pass smog. If it fails, fill out some paper work at the Pick-N-Pull offices, and bam! They could end up giving you up to a $1000 to junk it. The same amount it costs to repair one of the most troublesome cars ever.

It's obvious as to why it was only sold from 1997 up to 2001, and never to be seen again.
    My 2000 Catera has the check engine light on and the following codes: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0189, which are for random misfire, misfire cyl. 1,2,3, and throttle position signal input.

Last week it had the code P0411 air intake
    The mechanic is stumped and thinks it may be the computer going out and throwing random codes.
    Ever since having the timing belt changed my car has had problems and has thrown many codes, but it has had many problems, and is not running correctly (seems sluggish).

Please help. Any ideas?
  • ssklsskl Member Posts: 45
    Sounds like one of the cams is out of time.
    The timing belt instl. is tricky, got to have correct cams marks lined with notches on top of sheet metal guard when the crank timing notch is in TDC firing position after the belt is installed. If it's not as per those specs. it will not run correctly and the valves can be bent if timing is off a lot. It's a bear to correct but whoever installed the belt is responsible if there was an error on any of the work done. SSKL Dave
    Sorry cannot help, but timing belt exp sounds worth a checkout with installer
    Thanks, Dave and Lou,
    That is what I was thinking. Unfortunately, the GM dealer that installed it is no longer in business. They were a real nightmare (wrong tools, lack of integrity, took forever - they had my car for over one month).
    Is there a way to check to see if the timing is off without taking the whole thing apart again?
    Can you try another GM dealership or search or call for GM help on the internet since one of theirs did the work.
    If the cam is out of time the computer would pick it up immediatly and might shut off fuel/firing on cyls. affected. So the combination of codes need to be analyzed which are only clues to the problem. Manifold and crankcase pressures would be affected which are a sign of valve malfunction which also is picked up by the computer.
    Therefore a $90 analysis at any good shop is necessary before altering anything. If a cam timing problem is evident then you would be assured that the repair needed would be the right one.
    Thanks for the information. We've paid the $95 several times at a service shop for analysis. They are stumped, thinking it is the computer throwing false codes. The first time, the car wouldn't start, so they replaced a coil. Now it works, but continues to throw codes. (They are not a GM service center)
    After the GM dealer went out of business, we had no GM dealer/service here on the island. A new GM dealer opened a couple of weeks ago. We tried to take my car there, but they said that they didn't want to work on it anyone other than a GM dealer had worked on the car.
    CONTACT GM REGIONAL MANAGER AND TELL HIM, OR HER, YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE CAR AND THAT YOUR DEALER REFUSES TO PROVIDE SERVICE ON THIS GM AUTOMOBILE. NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED....
    Thank you! Will do.
  • jpt109jpt109 Member Posts: 1
    I checked the one spark plug I could get to because starting has been getting harder, it always turns over but sometimes it cranks for a long time. Starter is O.K. so I suspected either ignition or fuel pump. When I removed the plug wire and looked at the plug there seemed to be oil all around it. Naturally; some cause for concern.

No engine lights or codes. Can anyone shed some light? I'm not a mechanic and far from it but, it seems to me it is not a good thing. Car runs fine in every other way.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
  • ttmichttmich Member Posts: 7
    Hello gnguru,

My 2001 Catera has the code below. Can you help?

Thanks. tt1mich@ ya h o o.com

PO411 DTC is "AIR System No Flow Detected". If you give me an email address I'll scan the troubleshooting instructions from the '98 Catera Service Manual and send them to you.
  • chaz6043chaz6043 Member Posts: 1
    Let me begin this by saying like so many before me that " I love this car". With that said I don't know where to go with all the problems I have had. the radiator, security, rear end, brkes, tires, crazy radio, TC/ABS lights and it goes on. My newest problem is, it is running like crap really rough. Almost like a vac line or loading up on fuel. It stinks literaly and is smoking. If you get it out and get on it, it seems to smoothe out. Any good suggestions on where to start?

Thanks in advance
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    I can sympathize with you and your Catera ( :lemon: ) problems. You should start by going to your nearest Lexus dealership. That's what we did and have never looked back! :) Car runs like a top and only requires an occasional drink and bath. No more headaches.. :shades:
  • taxidriver5412taxidriver5412 Member Posts: 1
    How do u go about replacing the ABS module, and where is it located?
  • az_hvyaz_hvy Member Posts: 30
    I need a breakdown for thermostat in my 98 Catera I know its under the Intake Plenum but I have herd something about torx bolt I need any and all help I can get Thanks Hvy
  • odessa4odessa4 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Sir Where did you buy oxygen sensors for 1997 Catera. However, I lucked out on the Oxygen Sensors. Dealer wanted $150 ea. But I was able to locate them for $40 ea. please advise,thanks
    odessaodessy@yahoo.com
  • bl00dshedabl00dsheda Member Posts: 1
    ok so i bottomed out and put a small dent in the oil pan in my catera and now the motor just turns over very slowly when i drove it last the oil pressure dropped so i pulled over and shut the car off to make sure it wasnt leaking oil or i didnt poke a hole in the oil pan so when i turned the car back on it started very rough so for some reason i turned it off agian and it would no longer start will turn over very slow like the battery is dead so i checked the battery starter alternator and they were all fine so i dropped the oil pan and the dent wasnt even close to any of the parts located inside so i am unsure what the problem may be if anyone could help in some way that would be reat
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Don't know how hard you bottomed out but could you maybe have dislodged the crank and/or cam position sensor? Of course either one of those senarios shouldn't cause the engine to turn over slowly when you're trying to start it! You may have a tough fix there. Maybe get a scanner and see what codes it is showing. Good luck.
    I did not see a reference that you pulled the dip stick to determine if there was oil in the pan , however you said you dropped the pan , but no reference to draining oil before doing so. If the oil pressure dropped , there is no oil circulating in the engine . Either no oil or damage to oil pump or the pickup inlet such as a screen or pickup pipe is bent or broken to the extent that pump cannot suck up oil . If pump cannot deliver oil, the engine may be frozen or seized ...very bad news...hope not . Your comment that dent was not to the extent it could have damaged the pump system is the hope , but the fact that the oil pressure dropped, totally, I resume sounds to me that the engine was run wit h no oil circulating .
  • hubbasmomhubbasmom Member Posts: 3
    4-21-2011 Cadillace Catera 2000 - 90,000 miles. Engine stalling after short trips. I sit and wait 10-20 minutes and it re-starts. The "check engine light" does NOT come on. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it?

I need my little luxury car. :shades:

I have had the car since 2006, and had no problems until here lately. Just had the valve cover gaskets replaced, and the radiator, which I consider to be normal maintenance. Also, this winter the ABS and Traction control lights came on, and when it does the Speedometer does not work. I've been told that is usually a clog in the lines and those lights are triggered by air and that debris gets into the hoses around and about the brakes.
    Where did you find these oxygen sensors at? Please help me I'm in Muncie, Indiana.
  • micldarmicldar Member Posts: 7
    If the problem (running de car) happen when you stop and switch off the car, and after you try to start it, then it may be the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS), installed over the transmission (very easy to remove). Try disconect this device making a direct connection to the starter (same cables that runs from neutral switch). Drive your Cadi. This work can be done by an electromechanic (30 bucks).

The Neutral S. Switch is a security device, please read about it. With the NSS the car start only in Parking (P) and Neutral (N).

Good luck!
    I read your reply to hubbasmom re NSS switch . I have an 89 which has had a restart problem . No problem over winter months. but two days this spring tem hit 90 and after errands around town, attempt to restart will have to raise hood and let air cool down engine compartment for about 15 min, then restarts . our thoughts . Over years dealers cannot find anything in diagnosis, because after hauling in or after fact , nothing evident..." bring it in when the problem occurs "...duh . Thanks
    edited April 2011
  • dit79dit79 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased this car it sat for over a year when I picked it up it started up and drove it home almost 70 miles a way It hesitated but I thought it was bad gas so I put 93 octane and some dry gas and drove it almost 70 miles it hestitated while I drove it home but made it I started playing with it I disconnected the battery and reconnected it then it wouldn't start I tried everything I left it on the on postiton and it sounded like some kind of fluid was rushing through the enginge then make some kind of noise then sounded like it blew some air then I started it up it started for like 5 seconds then it would die. Please help!
    I do not have firsthand Catera experience with your symptoms, but with the car sitting over a year, the fuel would have gone bad, or a fuel filter clogged, or both. If there is sediment in the tank from old fuel and the intake line has a "sock" type filter in the tank, as the fuel pump pulls in fuel for the cylinders, sediment can build up on the filter clogging it, cutting the supply off to the engine. After sitting awhile, the sediment resettles to the bottom of the tank. It could restart after that and the clogging cycle begin again. There could also be an inline fuel filter. A lot of if's in this which can be eliminated by flushing the fuel tank and line through the injectors by a mechanic. Boy, don't know what the noises are. Check the radiator and heater hoses; could have dry rotted. The cooling system builds up pressure when at running temp.
  • dit79dit79 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help lou89. I put a scanner on the car and 4 codes came up. p1790, p1890, p0650, and p0100. need help getting this car going.
    go to an auto parts store,ex.Auto Zone, and they may be able to pull up and ID these codes for you. Usually do not charge for this service.
  • carfinder14carfinder14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Catera with a wierd problem. When first running the car the TC warning light will start flashing and the car will lose power. Turning of the traction control system fixes the problem. I need to know the sensor that controls the traction control or what could be causing this. Any help wold be appreciated.
    It has already been fixed. It was a Crankshaft Position Sensor. I bought it at the Cadillac-Chevrolet Dealership for a few dollars less than O'Reilly's Auto Part store. Now, my radio is intermittent and the ABS Traction lights are on and my Speedometer, Odometer and Cruise Control don't work. I pretty much already know what it is on this forum, but I cannot afford to have it all fixed. I just run my radar detector. Thank heaven for everyone on this forum because practically no one knows how to diagnose these cars. :surprise:
  • catera99istcatera99ist Member Posts: 1
    I drove it last time but I had to stop because of the smoke. Oil was leaking from where the 2 sets of 3 spark plugs are. Now I can still crank it but it runs only for 2 seconds and stops ( it runs smooth though so hopefully it's not a major problem). I know the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced and probably the spark plugs too. I am not sure how to fix it ( what do you guys advise me to do ?) My car leaks , is this normal ? Please help...do I take it to a mechanic...how much are we talking here to fix it ???
  • catera97catera97 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 97 Catera today for 375 bucks....its got 124k miles on it runs and drives really good...Drove it home 95 miles, but here's the thing that freaked me out...Got on the highway and for 10 miles or so white smoke blew out the exhaust pretty bad..I told my wife omg it has a blown head gasket, but my wife said its not overheating just keep going...The guy I bought it from said it was burning oil, and it's been sitting for a couple of months because it needed tires so bad...Too make a long story short after the 10 mile smoke fiasco the smoking stopped, and its seemed to run better the more I drive it? LOL I don't understand this, but since I bought the car it has not gone over halfway on the coolant level on the dash and it moves so it works...The antifreeze in the reserve is crystal green nothing mixed in...Any ideas???