Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• emassardemassard Member Posts: 2
    Please someone can help me w/ this:

"The car has a bad oil cooler, which is located below the lower intake manifold.. It is leaking oil externally, and it is also allowing coolant to mix in with the engine oil.
    The cost to replace the oil cooler will be approximately $900"
  • mschraut2003mschraut2003 Member Posts: 1
    I have had that transmission light come on as well and i can do the same thing as you the only difference is i can drive mine about 10000 miles before mine does it do you know what it is or if it is causing ne problems or ne thing.

i also am curious as to if ne one is having there oil pressure drop below normal but not showing any other major problems i brought it in to get looked at and they said it was internal and that it would cost about 5000 dollars to get fixed but i had them wait so i picked it up and it was fine than and has been for bout 2months and now for the last to days it has been mildly doing it again, has any one else had similar problems or know what it is.
  • etienne2etienne2 Member Posts: 5
    First of all, sorry for my bad english written !
    I'm speaking french from Quebec but I can write a little bit in english.

I can see that everyone have the same problem as far as I read on the forum. This is my story with my Cadillac Catera 98.

--- The begining ---
    I bought my Catera at 98 000 KM. I dont how is the conversion from "km" to "miles". The second day I bought it, the pressure oil gage drop down and a noisy sound like a long "beeeeeeep" goes on. I go back to the dealer and he says " The pressure oil gage must be changed". The cost for this repair is 300$ CDN. The probleme is resolved after that. The third day after I purshase this car, the entire cluster light goes down, I lost all the dash light. Again, I go back to the dealer and he says " this is the light control command" tha one at the left of the steering. Yhe cost for this repair is 200$ CDN. After only two weeks, the car won't start after a one hour ride. I wait 2 hour and the car startup again. The dealer says " this is the crank sensor" 400$ the fix it. The problem is resolved.

--- THE HEADACHE BEGIN ---
    After I repair all the problem I just said. I have no problem for 2 month ago. But after the two month "free" problem, the headache begin.... The horn goes down: 225$ to fix it (just the piece) I repair the part myself. The motor wipper cost 400$ to fix (dealer charge included). The oil cooler below the intake cost 1200$ CDN to fix it. Valve cooler 300$ CDN. Gasket kit because my car smell oil very bad cost 400$ + dealer charge. fog light problem cost 300$ each side because the water goes in. Beam light goes down for the same problem (water in). The heat seat driver down.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT ?????????
    After 2 years The cluster dash light goes down for the second time !! The crank sensor goes down again !!!!
    And the spark plus wire cost 600$ for all 6 cylinder !!

And lot of computer reset to stop the "engine light" cost 35$ each time is go on !!! Last month, the engine begin to overheat and is to much for me !!!!!!

HOOOO !! I forgot the LINK KIT is broken at 140 000 KM. It cost to me 2500$ CDN to repair.

I sell that car for 4500$ "as is".
    If you can repair this car yourself is "OK" but if you have no skill in mechanic... sell that car as soon as you can !

You can reply this message, I will check each day and i can help you out !

Bye,
    Etienne form canada, Quebec, Montreal.
  • emassardemassard Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Can u help me w/ this:

"The car has a bad oil cooler, which is located below the lower intake manifold.. It is leaking oil externally, and it is also allowing coolant to mix in with the engine oil.
    The cost to replace the oil cooler will be approximately $900"

My dad will try to fix it. Is this a difficult place to get in? How much would cost to get this oil cooler? Do I need a full kit or just a specific part?
    Thanks. I will sell it after we fix.
  • fehufehu Member Posts: 7
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ADD TRANSMISSION FLUID TO A 98 CATERA. I AM TOLD IT'S SEALED AND NO WAY TO DO IT. THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AS THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO ADD ?
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    There is no transmission dipstick on a 1998 Cadillac Catera :lemon: to check or add fluid to the transmission. The only way to add fluid is through the fill plug on the side of the transmission. Do this with the car sitting relatively level and fill it til it runs out the fill hole just like filling a differential. Since you have to do it in this manner and are already under the car, I would suggest changing the fluid entirely if the existing fluid or the car has accumulated more than 70K miles. Good luck. :)
  • drodriguezdrodriguez Member Posts: 1
    put in 10-30 oil not 5-30
  • caterajunkcaterajunk Member Posts: 30
    I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Catera. Actually I need to find my receipt but is cost $1100.00. Let me find the receipt and write back. or you can email me directly. let me know .
    Regarding the comment made by drodriguez, I don't know what part of the country you live in and I assume that drodriguez doesn't either but if the mean temperature doesn't get over 60 degrees, you should use 5W-30 oil. If the mean temperature is over 60 degrees, you should use 10W-30. The ideal situation would be to use 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. If your Catera has any oil leak issues (namely the valve covers which is quite prominent in 1998 Cateras) I would stick with the 10W-30 year round. Hope this helps you and good luck.
  • gw1998gw1998 Member Posts: 6
    I have checked/changed all blown fuses. ALL lights work except the brake lights. I recently had a new radiator installed. The brake lights were working before they installed it. Did they hit a wire or something to trigger something to the brake lights? I'm selling this car ASAP after getting this problem fixed. Any suggestions?
    Does the third brake light (strip light on trunk deck) work or is that out too?
    Yes, it's out also.
  • mexdebmexdeb Member Posts: 7
    Finally I´ve maybe found an answer. I live in Mexico and have had many problems with my 98 Catera. The timing belt problem was fixed and thank God I was re-embursed 100% with no problem. Now I have this issue with the car not starting same as etienne2. If I wait 20 min. it starts up fine. No one here can seem to diagnose correctly . I got a new fuel pump and then a sensor that I can´t traslate to what but it has to do with the tire rod or something. Could this be the crank sensor, what is it and where is it located. I am desperate, just spent more than 1000 dollars and the day I drove it home from the shop it wouldnt start, waited an hour and it started right up . Hope you can help.
    mexdeb
    Since you obviously have a computer you can go to this link and I've explained in detail how to replace the "crankshaft position sensor" on the 1998 Catera which I'm 99.9% sure will take care of your problem. It even explains how to test the new sensor before you permanently attach it. You will have to register to the site to see the images but it is free. Good luck and let me know if this solved your starting problem. sirmqc

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/67854-98-cat- era-crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement.html
    Thank you so much, I am astonished at the quick reply. Plan to contact my mechanic ASAP tomorrow morning. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.
    I guess I'm not going to be of much help to you. Cadillac designers have really engineered a nightmare with the Catera and even the simplest elctrical circuitry like brake lights can involve several relays and plug-in connections. I don't know exactly where the brake light wiring is located but I seriously doubt if it would be anywhere that a car lift or jack could get to it and damage it and certainly none of the wiring would be in the vicinity of the radiator but then again, like I said they "engineered a nightmare". If I were you, I would start at the brake light switch to see if it has power. Even getting to that can be a major battle. If worse came to worse I would consider running a direct wire from the battery to the brake light switch and then another wire from the switch to the brake lights (since they don't have a double filament bulb - turn signals are seperate lights). Not exactly Cadillac style but may prevent you from getting pulled over and getting a citation. Sorry I wasn't much help. Maybe somebody else will have some ideas. Guess I've been lucky as I haven't had any electrical problems with my Catera :lemon: Yet :) . Good luck though.
    PS: I forgot to mention this but if you have to resort to running a hot wire direct from the battery, be sure to install an inline fuse between the battery and the brake light switch. Just in case..... ;)
    Hey Everyone,
    Someone worte about car not starting and then after cutting it off it w/n start. My 2000 catera was doing that also. Found out it was the crank sensor i ordered the part at $50.00 and mechanic put it o for $125.00. ewww...got away cheap that time becaue my mechanic wanted $200.00 for the part alone.

Hope someone can use this information.

Always maintain the peace within you...

Sharron
    The mechanic came over and started the car right up with cables which I knew it would but wanted him to see it for himself. He tried to tell me it could be the battery or the alternator and had to rule that out first after I told him I knew what the car need and showed him your diagrams. I can´t believe this mechanic he´s just as bad a a doctor in as you can´t tell him what to do. You better believe I am not letting him touch my battery which is new practically and I will not let him get near my alternator as I brought it from the states rebuilt and have had no problem with it so far now 3 years. It was the third alternator the car has had since 2000. Anyway since its a holiday we agreed to talk again on Monday meanwhile he shut the car off and it started up again right away which I knew it would since I know there is nothing wrong with neither my alternator or battery. He just smirked. I am talking to the manager next and telling them just what I want and not listening to anything else they try to pull. Thanks for your help just thought I would update you. Much appreciation from Mexico.
    Hi again - Yes it sounds to me like your mechanic needs to go back to mechanics school for a refresher in Mechanics 101. If your car is not starting, there are two scenarios. Either it will not turn over or it will turn over but doesn't start. If it won't turn over, it is one of two things, either the battery or the starter. The alternator has nothing to do with starting the car. If the battery is running down and you feel like it is the alternator, the best way to test the alternator (especially since the alternator on a Catera is not easy to remove - then again not much of anything on a Catera is easy to get to) is to start the car. After it is running, pull the positive cable from the battery post. If the car dies you have a faulty alternator and it needs to be replaced. I was under the impression that the times your car wasn't starting, that it was turning over okay but just wouldn't fire up mainly after it is warm and/or has been driven for a distance. Then after it cools off it starts fine. Like I said, install a new crankshaft position sensor, and I'm 99.9% sure it will solve your problem. Good luck with the manager.. ;)
  • youngie1youngie1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Etienne.

I am experiencing the same problem as one of the other guys. My ABS, TCS lights come on simultaniously, & the speedometer goes dead. Do you have any idea what this can be? Also, my left & right turn signals don't work, they just make the relay give off a strange electrical noise. Any solutions will be appreciated!
  • catera06catera06 Member Posts: 2
    I am having problems wiring the bosch universal four wire sensor into the five wire set up if you could please help with what goes where it would be greatly appreciated.
    I am not able to register at the link you gave me. I have tried but can´t get the email back to register. May have something to do with the weird email server I have here in Mexico I really want to get the slides you posted as I really doubt they know how to fix it here. As to your last post my car would be totally dead not even crank but after waiting 20 min 30 min it would start. The reason I had to put cables to it to get it to start is that I had been starting it to try it out evey day but didn´t run it for any time at all and that ran the battery down. After jumping it it started right up. Is there any other way I can get the slides from you? I really appreciate it. I still have the option of taking it to the cadillac dealer instead of the chevy dealer and hoping they will help. At least they were more honest and said they couldnt figure it out and did nothing but tell me to keep driving it and call when it wouldn´t start. They also told me to sell the car as soon as I could because it was too difficult for them to handle and I think they shudder every time they see me drive in. I am ordering the part from a friend thats coming to visit and I think for 70 dollars its worth it. Thanks for helping.
  • rab7rab7 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my catera to work ran great, got in it after work and at start up it was idling real rough sounds like a diesel it has a disticnt mechanical noise like a bent rod or valve. I've heard that sound before in other type of vehicles when timing is out as I've read through this site I can see that this vehicle has a lot of issues especially electrical so I'm hoping for a bad sensor or something like that anyway if anyone has had a similar experience i would greatly appreciate some feed back.
    Thanks have a great day.
    RAB
  • thornatosthornatos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Catera. Ever since i got it, its been nothing but troublesome. After payin 4 and putting in about 3 its because a 7,000 car. Anyway, now theres a new problem and any help would be greatly apprieciated! Basically, everytime i drive my car, I get a lot of smoke coming out of the drivers side of the hood. Than, after the smoke comes out the hood, it starts coming through the air vents. It comes out the vents and i think under the steering wheel sometimes. Despite all this the car doesn't over heat. I had a shop look at it and they said the only problem it had was it was leaking power steering fluid. Nothing he has done could fix the smoke problem. I now turn to whoever reads this and ask a favor of them. Please let me know anything you can, anything at all, about this problem. Any information would help. Thank You
  • mike192mike192 Member Posts: 1
    i start my car either in the morning before work or after work to come home, for the first five minutes my engine bogs out as if there is no gas.any suggestions would be appreciated?
  • floridammgfloridammg Member Posts: 3
    Did you get any replies? I am having the same trouble but it lasts a lot longer then 5 minutes. When I step on gas nothing happens. My car has been cutting out while driving.
  • floridammgfloridammg Member Posts: 3
    I need help! I have taken my car to shop 3 times and they don't know what is wrong except code says lean. The car idles rough and won't accelerate when I step on the gas. It will cut out while driving. They have checked codes and it involves lean but they can't find anything wrong with it. Of course when they drive check engine light stays out as soon as I get into the car it comes right back on. They have replaced fuel filter, ignition coils, and plugs. Any advice? Please, I am a single girl and need a car. Thank you!
    Hey,

My 2000 was doing the same thing. Would cut off suddenly and wouldnot start back up for 15/25 min. It was the crank sensor. If anyone want to speak with my mechanic who is very good with cateras please contact me @ svm0608@sbcglobal.net.

HOPE THIS HELPS
  • cissiecissie Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a 98 Catera. I love this car it is almost 10 years old and only has 25,000 miles on it. We live in NJ and you do not need a car for here were we live. My question is my air/ heat unit will not turn on, completly dead, no sounds, no air, no lights, would anyone have idea if this is a fuse? Or the compressor? Please advise. Cissie
  • cissiecissie Member Posts: 7
    Hi

Crank Sensor you say, not the fuse. I mean this is completely dead it will do nothing, I drove yesterday for a good hour and nothing came on I was sick. What will cost about? Is your guy in northern NJ?
    C
  • caddyguy1caddyguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I am a master certified GM technician. Not currently in a GM dealership I work at a BMW/MINI dealership. I worked at a Cadillac dealeship for about 6 years.
    First of all Cateras are not that hard to work on. Many GM technicians have probles with it b/c they are used to GM this is not a GM it is basically an Opel which is German.
    Let me tell you guys a few of the problems these cars have
    Battery Draw---Check the rear defroster relay (they stick)
    Oil Leaks---Valve Covers and Head Gaskets
    Coolant Leaks---Water control valve, Head gasket, oil cooler cover
    Problems with Oil Pressure----Pressure sensor or the actual guage(it can be replaced seperate of the whole cluster)
    Coolant Light stays on---replace the jug it has a sensor (or sometimes you can beat on it and it will go out)
    No start---crank sensor (only replaced on fuel pump in 6 years on a catera)
    Rough Running---Pull spark plug boot check for leaking valve covers. Also the ignition coils would go bad on these.
    Cant get vehicle out of park---Needs the Shifter assembly.
    Have not seen a whole lot of transmission issues.
    Noise from front of Engine----most likely timing belt related.
    I have replaced a lot of A/C control panels.
    I have replaced a few a/c door actuators for air not blowing out of proper position.
    I have replaced quite a few brake light switches.
    I have replaced few wheels speed sensors
    I have replaced quite a few o2 sensors.
    I have seen a few Air Injection faults.
    As I said these cars are German with some GM infulence. Thing is Saab uses the same engine as the 3.0 catera and had not had half the problems the catera has. These car are not hard to fix, can be tricky to diagnose.
    So, what should I check to see why the back brake lights aren't working? All other lights are working with no problem.
  • rkinsey2005rkinsey2005 Member Posts: 2
    caddyguy01,

I have a 1998 Cadillac Catera. It stalled out on my way to work turning left monday. I took it into a shop they let me know my coolant was leaking and replaced my water control valve. It is still stalling out for me. When sitting for about 15-30 minutes I can start it up and it will run for a minimal amount of time then just stall. Does this sound like a crank sensor to you, or do you have any ideas? Thank you.
  • caddywoes2caddywoes2 Member Posts: 2
    I've just entered the world of disgrunted owners. I too have a problem with my 01 Catera. The speedometer does not work. Anyone have any ideas what would be the least expensive fix for this? Is it the CPU, TCS(Whatever that is), Speed Sensors, Speed Control Throttle, Etc..... Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

Caddywoes2
  • caddywoes2caddywoes2 Member Posts: 2
    Will replacing the speed sensors fix the problem with the speedometer not working? Do you think I need a new Speed Head assembly as some one suggested? Can you give me any ideas? Any info will be greatly appeciated.

Caddywoes2
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Luckily, I'm still extremely satisfied with the '01 Catera I've had since new. No big problems, but Iam amaed just how many unhappy owners seem to be out there. Anyone else's car ageing gracefully?
  • caterahata22caterahata22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97' catera that will not start. I was told that the security system was preventing it from turning, what do you think ? Or is it more likely to be a crank sensor kit problem? I have changed the spark plug boots,spark plugs (numerous times)
    I hope you drove your car right to the nearest Certified GM dealer. Its the timing belt and is under an open recall. Every penny it cost you will be reimbursed you by cadillac. Just keep all your receipts and submit. It cost me 1400 dollars and I got a check in less than a month and this was for repairs done in Mexico. No questions asked and they were great. Just call in and present your case they wil tell you what to do. I had a letter I had saved that had a number to call. Your dealer should know about this, it should pop up when they put your VIN number in to their system. Hope you got ittaken care of.
    gnguru, I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I found out the crank sensor wass what they replaced and I told them to check it over that they must have not done something correctly and they corrected whatever problems there was and it is working great. Problems solved, so thanks again. I wasnt ever able to get to your slides. No need to now I guess I was just curious to see them. Thanks again. Mexdeb
    I have had some problems with my 98 catera, I have been ignoring the need for new o2 sensors, and I was wondering how neccesary it is to replace them? I did have the timing belt problem but it was totally reinbursed last year even though the letter said it was only for 100,000 miles or cant remember how many years. Later it became an open recall. If the odometer stopped working is it the wheel speed sensor and if so how many sensors are there one or two ? Thats it for now. Gnguru helped me figure out the crankshaft sensor so that is my last problems solved.
    I did replace the coolant jug also was told they cant just get a new sensor and it was the sensor. I do have oil leaks and may have had battery draw that was a mystery . Could have been the rear defroster relay, Thats good to know, will watch for that. Thanks for your info.
  • richter1richter1 Member Posts: 8
    Ok this is a good one. Last night the radio was working normally. this morning start the car , no radio , turn the car off it comes on. start the car it goes off. turn the car off. well you get the picture. any ideas?????
  • schaghticokeschaghticoke Member Posts: 1
    wondering if anyone has had a problem like mine? When I start the car it sometimes seems not to be taking a spark
    or something.Eventually it starts.The other day coming off
    the nj parkway it just stalled out loosing power and slowly
    shuting down. The light that denotes transmition problem came on?Could this be a relay chip?
  • sugarterriorsugarterrior Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I were 600 miles from home when our 2000 catera passenger front door would not close. I have been told that we need to replace the part that latches the door closed but I have been unable to find out the correct name of this part in order to fix it. Can anyone help with that???? This car has been nothing but trouble for the 6 months we have owned it. I can not wait to get rid of it!!
  • clb2clb2 Member Posts: 2
  • clb2clb2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1998 Cadillac Catera from a dealer and had a dignostic test done on it. One of the items on the print out stated "PO411 Secondary Air Injection - Incorrect Flow". Can somebody tell me what this means and how can it be corrected, what auto parts, if any, is needed?

Thank you.
  • spennyspenny Member Posts: 2
    You sound like me this past week. Check engine light was on, took to dealership, they said it was a vacuum hose leak, replaced hose and something by the brake booster - $191.88, that night the check engine light came on again, went back next day- they changed oil, told me to keep more gas in vehicle-$30.94, check engine light came on again that night-went the next day, Master control valve sensor had to be replaced -$401.00! It upset me that i had to pay labor on all three of these for them to find what was really wrong. They may want to check your Master control valve sensor.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    How many miles are on your Catera? Mine only has 42,000 on it, but it hasn't had a problem yet.
  • gasman7gasman7 Member Posts: 4
    When ac is on there is cold air coming out drivers side dash vent & left middle dash vent, but hot air coming out right middle & passenger side dash vents. Anyone have any ideas? 2001 Catera
  • gasman7gasman7 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, It probably is crankshaft sensor. I had same problem & replaced sensor. No more problems. Cadillac garage charged me about 45.00, cheaper than any other parts place. Sensor is mounted behind oil filter,& runs up backside of motor and connects on top backside.