Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    I have a '98. I'll send you all the pigs you need. What kind of hose are you talking about? Which area of the engine?
    Sorry 'bout that. Typing on iPhone is tough. I've got pictures - not pigs!!!! LOL
  • joelwartjoelwart Member Posts: 1
    I found a place that has some control modules at a reduced price. They don't carry all control modules for all vehicles, but I've great success with them. They also come recommended by the hosts of the radio program Car-Talk, "Click & Clack, the Tappet Bros.," The problems I had were quoted as requiring ever increasing costs by the dealership, $1,800, $2,200 & $3,400, depending on whether one worked or not. That would have been a total of $7,400 if I needed all three services. I got it done for about $850, Parts & Labor, ordering the part myself from:
    :D
    ModuleMaster or Circuit Solutions
    2006 S Main
    Moscow, ID 83843
    (208) 892-0764 or Toll free 1-888-892-0764
    www.MODULEMASTER.net
  • crapallaccrapallac Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have had my 2000 catera for about 2 years. At first the car drove great, but not long after things started to not feel right, smelled smoke but no one could find anything wrong. Then by the time the problem was found it was the valve cover gaskets ($600) for gaskets (the main part was labor), car still had issues oil pressure gauge dropping, check engine light came on, mechanic replaced oil & filters said that may be the problem ($56.00) still same problem, now car died on highway, waited 30 minutes started up drove 1/4 mile & died again, let it sit for 2 hours & was able to get it 6 miles back into town before it died. Ended up towing it home with our RELIABLE FORD F-250, let it sit for 1 day starts fine, but scared to drive, and definitly scared to take it to a mechanic (more money spent on a car that is now now even worth $3800.00 kelly blue book). Hoping someone may know where the CRANK SHAFT SENSOR IS LOCATED, AND OIL PRESSURE SENSOR. Would like to get it running long enough to trade in on something more reliable. Thanks :(
  • crapallaccrapallac Member Posts: 2
    Dont wast your money, I have found this car is more problems than what it is worth which having it for 2 years it is worth less than what I owe (paid $8900.00, today it is worth $3500.00).
  • bugkilla1bugkilla1 Member Posts: 7
    cranks sensor is a easy fix part available at auto zone 60 bucks pic available on this site 30 min job changed cam gaskets myself 3 hrs 100 bucks step by stp on this site good luck
    what hoses if your talking about vac line at back of intake one does not conect it is a trans vent ment to be open pic avail on this sight
    mass air flow sensor
  • bowb4me_69bowb4me_69 Member Posts: 1
    i am experiancing almost all the same problems is there anything anyone knows about the electrical. my problems are the driver side blinker sometimes working dome lights only work when the cars off, and the cd player staying on after the car is off also what causes these problems?
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    to which message is #476 of 477 retaining to about the mass air flow sensor is it the electical and lights in and out
  • tmoore0320tmoore0320 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can someone tell me where the alternator is located ona97 catera?
  • 98catera98catera Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I just bought a 98 catera with 35K miles. On the second day the "Check Engine" light came on, the A/C stopped working, the lights started to turn on and off and the horn would not work. Checked the fuses and one was bad. Replaced it and most of the things got fixed. The "Check Engine" light is still on and the A/C does not work. It just blows hot air. I went to a local auto parts store and the code i was given was P0411 for the "Check Engine" light. I just wanted to know what others have done in the past to fix these issues. Has anyone else had these issues at 35K? Also, I have read about recalls for the Catera. How can i find out the recalls and if the work has been done on my car? Any help would be appreciated..
  • mach1456mach1456 Member Posts: 7
    For the Ac problem check post #260. Check engine code search the forum. Alos here is a link to another forum that may be helpful http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/
    PO411 DTC is "AIR System No Flow Detected". If you give me an email address I'll scan the troubleshooting instructions from the '98 Catera Service Manual and send them to you. But I'll have to warn you that these diagnostics are not really adapt to a "shade tree mechanic". I'm not trying to be sarcastic and I don't know what your mechanical capabilities are but this is alittle more involved than changing a fuse or putting in a new tail light!! LOL - Let me know..........
  • bbbmysticbbbmystic Member Posts: 5
    The oil pressure switch is bell shaped and is located right in front of the oil pan. It cost about $45 plus shipping from http://www.rockauto.com/ STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PS337. Very easy to change out.

As far as the crankshaft sensor goes, they also carry that part, but it's one I haven't had to change out (yet).
  • cat_97cat_97 Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have been having exactly the same problem as you, It's a lot to do with the O2 sensor I think behind the catalytic converter. I took it to a dealer, it seemed to be fixed but the next day it came on again (Check Engine Light) so I have to give it back to the dealer.Did you know that there is a recall on I think the Air Pump, have it looked into by Caddilac by providing the car's VIN, they should let you know. I am having a lot of problems with this car and cannot have it registerred in MA as the check engine light is always on.
  • dclaibornedclaiborne Member Posts: 4
    i have the same problem what was the sulution and which fuse box
    There is only one real fuse block. The fuse block under the hood by the battery is a relay center. The actual fuse block is located under the steering wheel on the driver's side. Using a screwdriver, loosen the two trim fasteners under the trim panel and pull the trim panel away from the instrument panel to access. Check fuse #10 which will be the second fuse from the left in the middle row (a 15a fuse). See if that solves the problem and let me know. Good luck.
  • iafarmboyiafarmboy Member Posts: 2
    I finally found a low mileage 1999 Catera to purchase that I adore. My problem is the interior lights have started staying on. Any experience out there what would case the interior lights to stay on while the car is running and after the engine is shut off? Luckily the power down feature still works because if you come back later everything is off and so far it is not draining the battery… When I read the Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair postings it looks like my recent problem is a prelude of what is to come!
  • 98catera98catera Member Posts: 2
    send them to carlosgarza@univ-wea.com>

thanks
  • dharboltdharbolt Member Posts: 4
    my antenna amplifier was stolen from my 99 catera upon replacement stereo no longer works do i have to have the stereo reprogrammed by a scan tool? or is it possible my antenna amp is no good (used) any ideas
  • richter1richter1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 98 catera, Besides not having any hot air for heat in winter Or a/c in summer No one could ever figure out an answer for that one. Now the only way to keep it running is to keep my foot on the gas. If you come to a stop light & let off the gas It dies. Turn the key & it will start right up put you have to keep your foot on the pedal. Any ideas
  • cissiecissie Member Posts: 7
    as far as the Air unit goes, my unit died (98) air, heat, defogger all of it, it was a simple fuse. I hit a bump and loosed up the whole thing. I called everyone and their answers were all about $$$$$$$. Some nice man offered to look at the fuses and viola i had air... have you checked your fuses? As far as the car running , I wish I could help. I do love my car and it is still a Cadi....

Cissie
    NJ
  • nka1nka1 Member Posts: 2
    ok ive never been on a sight like this how does it work im havein truble w/ a car
  • nka1nka1 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know about a trans lock light
  • ahhmmahhmm Member Posts: 3
    The overheating could be related to low antifreeze or coolant, but is related to the oil pressure. My catera goes hot when the oil pressure is low. I don't want to say what the problem might be, but it could be bad. Check the coolant level and the coolant cap.
    As for the 3rd gear, I am experiencing the same problem and am working with my mechanic to identify the issue. So far new transmission oil and filter have not corrected the issue. Maybe the transmission codes in the trany controller can identify the issue.
    the trans lock light is associated with the trany being stuck in third gear. quick remedy, but not a fix is shut off the ignition and restart the car. once the car is warm the problem goes away
  • mcglaskermcglasker Member Posts: 2
    have problems cranking,once car cranks it idles very very low.
  • mhidrogomhidrogo Member Posts: 1
    help
    Look at Post #486 and your question will be answered. That post is for a '98 Catera. Good luck.
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    i have an 2000 catera and my fuse box is located under the stearing wheel just take of the cover
    On the 99 there is a fuse box beside the battery under the hood. This has the main fuses and several relays and fuses as well.
    interior main fuse panel is located under the steering wheel behind the trim panel that your knees always hit. turn two screws on bottom side about two or three turns (they will not come all the way out) and then lift panel up and out
    i had a similar issue w/ my 99 catera the problem ended up being a burned up wire behind the interior fuse block for the hazard light circuit, remove the screws in the interior fuse panel and check that all the wires are in good order and tightly secured to the block and that all the fuses are in working order. the computer is so sensitive that seemingly major issues are often just small electrical glitches
    could be a simple software issue have a mechanic hook the car up to a diagnostic machine and try reprogramming the main and transmission computers
  • chrissstiechrissstie Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought this car. Everything else seems to be working but the brake lights. Anyone have any idea how i can troubleshoot this problem without going to a dealer?
    I suppose you're talking about a Cadillac Catera but you don't say. And what year model is it? And is it "all" brake lights including the third brake light? Of course the first and most logical thing to check would be the fuse. If that doesn't work get back to me and I'll tell you what to do next until the problem is resolved. Good luck.
  • bradcadbradcad Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 Catera - had a simliar sounding problem - bulbs and fuses checked out ok - then checked the brake light switch - located up under the dash on the drivers side - it is the upper switch of the two you will discover. It is operated when you apply the brakes. It was replaced - lights worked. I hope this helps you resolve the problem.
    (bradcad 2000)
    I have a 1997 Catera and had the compressor replaced last year. The A/C has been working fine. Until now. After 15 minutes running my car, the A/C blows hot air...the first 15 minutes is very cold. I live in Florida so A/C's a must. The system is fully charged and is not leaking. Please help.
  • chrissstiechrissstie Member Posts: 5
    yes i am talking about a 97 Catera. Ok I checked all the fuses, and now the driver side trunk brake light will work. But the passenger and the side brake lights are not. ALso I forgot to say the reverse lights as well are not working. What else should I look into?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    My 2001 whines when the steering wheel is turned way over for a sharp turn. Anyone experienced this?
  • ask4ask4 Member Posts: 2
    2000 Cadillac Catera with 55K miles - Was overheating - electrical short caused Bose Stereo/CD player to go out. Fuses kept blowing. Service repair followed Bulletin to install 10 in-line fuses to isolate and correct problem. After work was done, CD player gives error message "CD not initializing and will not work. Repair said they found a crimped wire under the driver's seat which was causing the short (but I have my doubts) because I took the car back immediately after the 10-in-line fuses were installed and created this problem. Very frustrating. Can you assist?
    Now they want to take the radio out and send it off for repair at a partial cost to me (50/50) and they created the problem. Want to sell this car... HELP!
    battery light comes on when stopped at light press the gas it goes out test battery and alternator not the problem
    battery light comes on when stopped at light step on gas it goes out tested battery and alternator not the problem can it be a loose wire.
    Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid?
    Yes,and that was the problem-it was low.
    Today,though,the brake pad ewar indicator light came on. as the 2001 Catera only has 49,000 miles,i wonder if it might be a faulty warning light rather than worn brakes. The car passed our yearly state inspection 4,000 miles. I know they won't pass marginal brakes. My 2001 Passat is still on its origional brakes at 85,000 miles,and I sold a 1993 Taurus with 93,000 miles and factory brakes.

does any one have experience with this indicator light?
    Thanks in advance...
    If your Catera has 49K miles on it, it is very possible that the front brake pads need replacing. Alot would depend on the driving habits of the person who put most of those miles on the car and you don't say whether or not you bought the car new but it is very easy to look at the pads and tell if they need replacing. I have never heard of the brake warning light malfunctioning but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. Most state inspection personell don't physically inspect your brake pads. They generally just drive the cars and if you had any surface on your pads at all, the brakes would work just fine since they automatically adjust themselves and tighten up (removing foot pad slack) every time you put the brake on when you are backing up. Since the front brakes do 75% of the stopping I would check those out first and don't put it off because if you wait too long you will have metal against metal and eventually will have to get new rotors along with your new brake pads. And if you can do the work yourself, FYI, the warning indicators which also have to be replaced once they are activated because of low pads are only available thru a Cadillac dealer and there are no aftermarket replacements. The Cadillac dealer will charge you about twice as much for the warning indicators as what the best set of ceramic brake pads will cost. But you can put a small jump wire in the indicator and just kind of put a tie-strap on it to hold it in it's place and this will make the warning light go out. Of course this eliminates the warning light from functioning properly but the pads will have the metal tab on them that will start squealing when your new pads wear out. Good luck and let me know the outcome.
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We have had the car since new,but my wife hs put most of the miles on.

Do you mean I can't just take the car to an independent brake shop, that even if they fixed the brakes,they couldn't get the instrument panel warning light to go out?

Only a Cadillac dealer would have what's necessary to get the light to go out?
    No, not at all. An independent brake shop will be able to redo the brakes just fine and get the warning light to go out. However, they will have to purchase the brake warning light switch(s) = (two - one for each side) from a Cadillac dealer and they are not cheap!! That's all that I was trying to say.
  • kaddyradkaddyrad Member Posts: 2
    my car started showing the leveling sign.does anyone know why it started to show that.