Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    There was a discussion about that last year; pretty interesting.

Grounding Kit

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    If this is the case, isn't this just a really, really complicated water injection system?

Even if the hydrogen remains intact before injection there are two fundamental problems with the "device:"

(a) basic physics - you simply cannot get something for nothing! It takes energy to extract the hydrogen and you cannot recover more energy from that hydrogen than you provided to accomplish the separation. (It's called thermodynamics!)

Moreover, the energy required to accomplish the separation appears, from the vendor's description, to come ultimately from the same gasoline whose efficiency he is trying to enhance. That is energy taken away from actually operating the vehicle.

(b) basic chemistry - hydrocarbons (i.e. gasoline) are not deficient in hydrogen. They are rich in hydrogen. The problem is providing enough oxygen to enable combustion of the already abundant hydrogen.

Just in case I come across as appearing "somewhat skeptical," let me put your mind at ease and assure you that you can safely drop the adverb "somewhat!" I won't be offended. :)

tidester, host
    for your enjoyment. :)

tidester, host
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Thanks, tidester.
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    I agree with why the aftermarket ignition system would work. I do know that Jacobs systems do work but they aren't designed to achieve better mileage etc. They were designed and used as a performance ignition system and have been used by many,many hotrodders etc as such.

With todays ignition systems, assuming they are properly maintained, I don't think you will see the differences that you would have years ago however.

I agree with one poster that mentioned the possiblility that since you had installed a "gas-saver" that the driver would tend to drive more sedately trying to see if the device actually did work.......sort of a "placebo effect" if you will.

Having said this, all gas-savers and performance enhancers of the "Tornado" sort I have ever seen and tested are pure snake oil
    AFIK, Jacob's only claims "improved engine efficiency" but doesn't attach a number to that. Tests do tend to support the notion of improved performance at higher RPMs.

tidester, host
  • Has anyone ever heard of a SGS (sparking gasket system) it does away with sparkplugs has 3 to 4 times the spark of regular sparkplugs burns cleaner, think of the sparkplugs sandwiched between the head gasket and instead of 1 electrode per sparkplug there is 3 to 4 electrodes surrounding each cylinder thus increasing spark and horsepower. Another product is Syncrofire pretty much the same concept but not in the head gasket but in an adapter for your sparkplug you screw it onto your sparkplug then install. i have seen both these products work with my own eyes, so why arent these big auto manufacturers jumping at these? You tell me, but i already know. contact me and i will show you the way Lipper
    I suspect the real world results are going to be insignificant compared to the costs of converting your plugs; may as well pull your plugs and index them so the gap faces the center of the combustion chamber instead of the cylinder wall, or spend lots of money on plugs with an exotic material that will let you retain a sharp edge or point on the center electrode without wearing away in a short while.

A colder or hotter plug than recommended by the manufacturer can also mess up your emissions.

I never understood why having 4 sparks is better than one when you have an explosive fuel/air mixture sitting there waiting to be triggered. If the plug is appropriately gapped, the spark should fire efficiently and the use of several electrodes or V notching probably isn't going to make a lot of difference. Maybe at Daytona, but not in my garage.

Steve, Host
  • gary045gary045 Posts: 81
    Both are about $60. Is the intake storm any good for hp or mpg gains?
  • 19211921 Posts: 1
    Hello

tell me more about the grounding kit I drive a '89' p-30
    gas hog
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    For the tornado...better off spending the 60 on gas. Does little to nothing to help.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I've got one... it works great. It's called a bicycle. I get some much-needed exercise, too. When I feel lazy I use a different one called a motorcycle, but instead of burning calories, it uses a little gasoline, but still not a car, and have to look out for the loonies who don't think motorcycles are entitled to share the road with their cars. :mad:

I still like my car a lot, I admit. I've gotten attached to creature comforts like a great sound system, moonroof, room for my friends and stuff without using bungee cords, not having to wear a helmet, :shades: stuff like that. I have a great tool I use to save gas now that the "cheapest" stuff has been costing about $3.21+ a gallon for so long: I don't step on the gas as fast... and I let the transmission shift sooner. I limit my speed. I purposely let people "race" around me (since my car looks the part). I don't let the car idle. When I'm alone I'm frugal with the A/C to the nutty point of using the compressor mostly when going down hills and slowing down, and usually cutting it out when accelerating from a stop (it gets cool soon enough unless it's been parked in the hot sun for a long time). And, I anticipate my throttle changes long ahead whenever I can. By the way, these are big changes for me, because I'm used to driving with a lead foot, and I like it.

Now I drive like a cheap SOB, but I feel like I'm achieving more than saving money, I'm doing just a little to import less oil and damage the environment a little less. With the "attitude changes" the fuel economy on my RX has gone from an average of about 19 to 25 for the past 7 months... that's a big difference to me without any significant outlay or fragile stuff.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,994
    I heard quite the opposite. I heard their hasn't been one "magic gas pill" scientifically proven yet to improve gas milage. I also wouldn't use it even if it did work, because of the consequences (damage) it could do to my vehicles. ;)

Rocky
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Sounds to me as though you have stock in that pill company. If you really believe you are getting 20% better gas mileage from a pill, I have a Brooklyn Bridge that I can sell you. Don't you honestly think that if a pill like that REALLY WORKED every car manufacurer in the planet would be knocking at their door.
    "If it's too good to be true, then it is too good to be true". As PT Barnum said..."There's a sucker born every minute"!!!!
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I didn't realize members could place non-paid advertising on CarSpace forums, regardless of the merit of their product. This one is so blatant in it's self-promotion, I hope the hosts leave this post as a warning/example to folks who read this site to be careful.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,173
    Not True big. I had one in my recently traded '01 escape and was getting around town 22-24 mpg, but when I hit mostly highway I was getting closer to 26 mpg. The Ford dealer that also had installed it ran a dyno test before and after and shown an increase in HP from 201hp to 215hp. I had to take it out after I upgraded to a Turbo Charger that pushed me up to 245hp.
    I guess this is the reason that Ford turned around and installed a Tornado Air Charger system on the Futura Concept that was in a recent Car and Driver mag.

It doesn't work on some vehicle because the manufacturer already has a system like it in place. So if you are looking at one of these check to make sure your vehicle will be able to accept it.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I guess this is the reason that Ford turned around and installed a Tornado Air Charger system on the Futura Concept that was in a recent Car and Driver mag."

Oh man, you almost had me good there odie. I like your sense of humor. I was almost convinced you were completely serious until you mentioned that article on the Futura Concept......

Good one... ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,076
    They can't. But it would be nice if members would alert a host by e-mail instead of just complaining about it within the Forums. If we saw it, we'd delete it. If it's not gone, it means we haven't seen it yet.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,240
    I've got some good anecdotal evidence to present.

I've been testing the following in 1,000 mile intervals, all separately from one another.

1. K&N air filter -- % of improvement on fuel mileage = NONE

2. Synthetic oil -- % of improvement on fuel mileage= 1/2 mile per gallon, consisently.

3. Switching to Premium Fuel --% of improvement on fuel mileae = NONE

4. Inflating tires to 38 pse --% of improvement on fuel mileage = perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 mpg.

5. Installing after-catalytic performance muffler==% of improvement on fuel mileage = NONE

The problem with such small gains in MPG is that one can't really tell if they are just statistical variation or not due to other uncontrollable conditions.

TEST CONDITIONS: Driving same roads in the same way, with no wildly variable climate changes (California), at very low altitudes and temperate weather.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,076
    Well, i was kinda scanning the list looking for something that increased MPG by at least 1 MPG... but no dice, so thanks for nothin' LOL. I've been trying the same trick with premium fuel, but figure it might take a couple of tanks before I see a difference (if any).

The only tactic that makes a noticeable difference for me is switching off the A/C. Of course, the interior of the car is then in grave danger of sustaining flood damage.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,994
    Going up from 87 to 89' octane Kirstie, from my experience with GM cars has yielded up to about a 2 mpg difference. Running premium, all the time isn't good for your engine if your engine doesn't require it. However midgrade won't hurt it. This is according to the engineers at Delphi's fuel injector plant. If you own a non-GM car, I can't speak for them. ;)

Rocky
  • Hey...my step-daughter's boyfriend was telling me the other day about this investment his father was sinking some money into. Some franchise for a 'gas pill' that would improve gas mileage 2-3 MPG. Just about spewed on the kitchen floor. (Acetone or moth ball I wanted to ask him.)

I have yet to see any reliable reports on any of these that make much difference. I hope he did not put ALL his money into this investment. Now I do remember that the he said his dad was also investing in some yellow button company...text yellow pages to your cell phone or PDA... Dang, don't think this guy is going to have a lot left for retirement :-).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,240
    Yep, AC gobbles up fuel.

I rather doubt premium fuel would raise gas mileage since if it were that easy for an automaker to rise their fleet average they'd require premium in a heartbeat. To improve fuel economy even 1 mpg, automakers spend countless millions of dollars on technology and weigh-saving materials. A 2 or 3 mpg jump would be a tremendous competitive advantage over their adversaries, and they would absolutely lunge at any such "easy way" if it were possible IMO.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• Iridium plugs are now on the market. They supposedly transmit more spark to the chamber than regular plugs (or even platimun for that matter). How that translates to better fuel economy I don't have any facts. I switched to Bosch Plus 4 plugs to get away from my car shuddering when under heavy load.
    Fuel Economy: Gas Saving Additives (Strategies for Smart Car Buyers)
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 321
    I'd like to have adjustable discharge temp on AC for mild temperature days instead of the fixed 40 deg F discharge and I don't want to use reheat from heater coil.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,446
    Is this your xA you're talking about? If you're already getting around 30-35 mpg, then 1/2 mpg here and 1/3 mpg are pretty much negligible.

I've discovered a trick that I can do with my '85 Silverado, which might save me about 1-2 mpg depending on traffic/weather conditions. When the weather gets warmer, I swap the air cleaner top with something that lets it breathe better. This truck has a tall 5" air filter, and the top of the cover extends down about 3 inches. I put my non-running Dart's air cleaner top on, which is flat, and it opens up the air filter all around.

I think it really helps performnace more than fuel economy, but I have found that it'll maintain any given speed with a bit less pedal pressure, and I don't have to stomp on it quite as hard to get it moving from a standstill.

And when you're dealing with something that normally ranges in the 10-13 mpg range, an extra 1-2 mpg really helps alot!
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    Andre:

The air filter does not give noticeable restriction except at WOT. What you are doing to improve mileage is bypassing the air warming system that brings air from the tin shield around the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner. The cold air having more mass than warm air results in a slightly leaner mixture. This is okay in warm weather, but will result in rough idle or your carburated engine, especially with a cold engine, when the temperature falls.

Harry
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,446
    Harry, thanks for the explanation. I guess that also explains why I noticed an improvement in acceleration moreso than an improvement in fuel economy.

I'll probably put the proper air cleaner top back on around late September/early October. I think that's when I swapped it back last year.
This discussion has been closed.