Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    posted in several places in Edmunds because it covers many areas.

If automotive manufacturers had a cure all or miracle product or style of designing an engine or fuel system to get better mileage while still delivering good performance, they'd be using it. Also, race teams from NASCAR to IMSA, Billy Bob's Circle Track Team, and me with my autocross club would be all over saving a buck.

The manufacturers are rewarded MILLIONS in government tax breaks when they exceed CAFE standards. It behooves them to do better, to the tune of MILLIONS of dollars.

When I see products like the Tornado or the latest superjuice fuel additive I have to laugh - they may offer a 1 hp increase on a 400 hp motor at 7,500 rpm, but you can gain the same 1 hp by dropping the temperature in the dyno room by 2 degrees - proven fact.

Safeguard your wallet, and like Dad said, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    [tongue in cheek disclaimer]
    Gosh, you guys are no fun! Beat up on Tornado why don't you?

Well if you don't like that maybe I could interest you in some other marvels that the establishment is keeping from you!

How about a magnetic blanket that you wrap around your fuel line? There are systems being sold that claim to keep your water pipes unclogged from hard water. Surely, keeping your fuel lines unclogged will contribute to fuel efficiency!

And how about pyramid power? The mysterious power of the pyramid has been claimed to preserve food, eliminate infection and even sharpen your razor blades! We'd be foolish to overlook this great power and its potential benefits to improving gas mileage. A whole industry could be created to provide pyramidal garages, parking ramps and pyramid tents for storage.

[/tongue in cheek disclaimer] ;-)

tidester, host
    or copper really have magic healing powers, wear bracelets, rings and put them in your shoes.
    Skeptic! ;-)

tidester, host
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Sorry hit the wrong button. Anyway years ago there was a crowd of snake oil dudes selling something that looked like a small propeller insert that when placed under your carb would dramatically improve your mileage. Well they had some manufacturing problems and they caused more than a few gas leaks and fires.

Wonder if the tornado crowd is related.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    In the seventies there was a device with two layers of screen in cup shape (for throttle plate clearance) to replace the carburator base gasket. Claims said it 'catalized' your fuel for more mpg. Funny thing, people that tried it DID get more mpg. Big city taxi companies accomplished the same thing using the same principle. They put a restrictor plate under the carb, essentially reducing the flow though the throttle. With fuel injected cars, it would be simpler to put a block under the accellerator pedal.

Harry
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    is the driver's behavior :)
    DOES work if you can't practice self-control.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or an egg on top of the accelerator....

Steve, Host
    that got 12 mpg with me driving an 16 (in town) with my wife driving. Go figure.
    Or an egg on top of the accelerator....

Don't suggest that to our Aussie friends! Placing ostrich eggs on the accelerator will cause the vehicle's speed to max out rather quickly! :-)

tidester, host
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Drive like you have a egg on your gas peddle and use the brakes as little as Antisapate stop lights) possible.
    As for testing gismos, test them on a machine/dyno, since driveing to work is not a good way, because you may hit more signals or heaver traffic on ome day more then another. Also you have to figure in the cost of the devise, such as $60 or so how much gas does thay buy.
  • txmooretxmoore Member Posts: 1
    I have real world data back from my 2000 Chevy Tahoe Limited ("old" body style), 5.7L V8. I drive a consistent mix of city/highway driving. Before Tornado, I measured my mpg at 14.9 with my previous tank of gas, although I have been known to creep up into 15.0 to 15.5 on some previous tanks.

Keeping driving habits the same, my first tank of gas post-Tornado was 14.9 mpg, my second 15.3 mpg. I didn't consider this statistically significant or sufficient to justify the $70 investment, so I disconnected the battery longer than they suggest (5 minutes) to "reprogram" the computer, I presume for air-fuel mix. After reconnecting the battery, started and idled longer than they suggest (2 minutes). So my third tank of gas after the battery trick was 15.3 mpg.

I had similar warning bells in my head from reading their marketing material, as previous posters in this forum, but was willing to run my own test under the 30-day money back guarantee. So I still have almost 2 weeks of the 30 days left and plan to remove and return for my refund immediately.

Let's say that the device does allow great improvement for the vehicles listed in their marketing material. Even if that were true, there is not a vehicle of the 2000 Tahoe type with a Vortec engine that's represented on their table of example improvements.

So I won't be installing it on my wife's 1997 Suburban then either, as it has the same engine type.

For Tahoe owners in my area wanting better gas mileage - my advice, cure the lead foot up to your stops and out of your starts. Where are you really going when the light in front of you is still red?
    "miracle cure".

The only way to lose weight is not through some magical pill or supplement, but through proper diet and exercise. Even though most people know this, the diet industry still grosses over one billion dollars a year.

Same for the automotive "economy and performance improvement" market.
    Gas is $1.81 in my area for regular, and Tornado and other gizmo companies are starting to crank up their ads again.

Pay attention to the "up to" language when you read the mpg claims :-)

Steve, Host
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    .. your best bet would be by powerpack kits (includes filter, catback, headers, etc) by gale banks, and if you have a gas engine you still won't have such great mileage. but at least you'll have good power :) however, diesels get huge gains in both mileage and power.

here's a testing for the chevy 5.3:
    http://www.galebanks.com/test_results_AC07.cfm
    24 hp and 22 lb-ft at the *wheels* .. and only %2 better mileage.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    I find the tachometer in my auto trans car helps me to get better mileage by making me ease off on the gas so trans will upshift sooner into a higher gear but without lugging the engine.Previously thought tachs for an auto trans car was useless(learned to drive when auto trans had only 3 speeds), but with modern torqueless engines having 4-5 sometimes hard to feel speeds and todays quieter engines, the tach allows me see what gear I'm in and adjust the gas.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    If you want to use less fuel, the "formula" is simple. Stop purchasing pick-up trucks and SUVs. Purchase vehicles with four cylinder engines that get 30+ MPG. I have a 2003 Honda Accord with 39,000+ miles on the clock, and I never check the mileage. It is what it is! But I laugh at my friends, when they "fill up" their big SUVs. A "fill up" for me is $34.00, (17gals X $2.00). A "fill up" for them is $50.00. I get 30+ miles per gallon, (based on the manufacturer's advertised ratings). They get 15 miles per gallon. But on the other hand, they have the "Big Bad Image", and "image" is everything in our society! So, if they want the "image" let them "pay-for it"!
    Any new gizmos out there?

Steve, Host
    Has anyone tried the "Fuel Genie" or the "Platinum Fuel Saver?"

tidester, host
    Maybe if we try a new name and mothball "The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life."

Steve, Host
  • spm1spm1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know anything about an old cruise control called Pacesetter? I need info such as wire connections and some troubleshooting.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Has anyone tried or even heard of Blue Sky?

www.blueskycleanair.com
  • tanya2tanya2 Member Posts: 29
    If you want to save fuel, and in the process cut down on your fuel bill, purchase a vehicle that you truly need, not the one that you think you need or want. In my travels, I see people driving BIG SUVs with only ONE person in the vehicle! Unless they have a BIG family at home, or a business that requires then to carry large articles, I think the SUV is a little over kill! But, if they can afford $52.25 for 25 gallons of fuel, at "fill-up-time", then more power to them! Most of my family drives 4 cylinder vehicles, and being in the automotive business, we can drive anything that we want. I think that this SUV issue, is an EGO thing with a lot of owners! It is all about image on the road. Whatever you drive, the trick to getting maximum performance and mileage out of your vehicle is frequent maintenance, and that translates into keeping the interior of the engine clean, which then translates into frequent oil and filter changes. A clean engine has less friction, and less friction means that the engine uses less fuel. Now, I know that the vehicle owner's manuals encourage long oil and filter change intervals, but this is not what I personally believe, so I have set a 3,000 mile standard for my vehicles. ----- Tanya
  • coopdevillecoopdeville Member Posts: 1
    Hey whats going on? Im also an owner of a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Limited. I tried the same trick with my battery and got the same results while replacing a bad fuel pump pretty neat huh? Also I changed my Air filter to an K&N filter and noticed a difference in my RPM's they did not rise as high as when using traditional air filters. I choose not to change the whole intake because the Vortec is already at its best but it did help. I also changed exhaust not to one of those exhaust that make a lot of noise and no benefits. I changed it to an aftermarket exhaust made by Midas with a lifetime warranty and it sounds good!!! Its not overly loud but you know you got a V8!! You will also notice the HP increase especially when getting on to an on ramp or pulling a trailer. Hope you enjoy your Tahoe as much as I do mine and thanks for you time just wanted to share some of my successes with my Tahoe.

David
  • jdardenjdarden Member Posts: 1
    Yes. I tried the "Platinum Fuelsaver" in a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer with the 360 engine. The good news is it's easy to install and it eliminated the knocking because of regular gas. It may gave slightly improved gas mileage. The bad news is that after about 6000 miles it clogged up and would not unclog and the reservoir collapsed due to the heat under the hood. Looking back I would still buy one if they would guarantee the parts for a reasonable period of time.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    My 2 cars call for 91 octane. However,where i gas up only has 93 octane Can I when both cars are 1/2 full use 89 octane.? :">
  • ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    consumer reports link

The title of the headline is "They don't work"
    Maybe we need to take a page from the hybrid hypermilers and suggest some non-gizmo tips, like keeping the tires inflated to spec.

Steve, Host
  • gmtech1gmtech1 Member Posts: 1
    the reason that an after market ignition system could provide better gas mileage is because it would have a higher voltage output causing a bigger spark in turn causing more complete combustion leading to more power which means less throttle less gas and better gas mileage.
    We Test the Tips (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Wow! I get a reply - 4 years later!

Thanks - though I think it's still an open issue as to whether higher voltage can produce more complete combustion.

tidester, host
  • tango2201tango2201 Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody tried this before?

Motor Kote
  • isa1isa1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Have anybody tried fuelblast cards?

www.fuelblast.com

How does it work?

Thanks.
  • thelittleguythelittleguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello Steve,

I am new to this forum and the above title caught my attention. I do have an item that is NOT available thru your AUTO PARTS SUPERMARKETS. AND THIS ONE WORKS. It is a LOCKING GAS CAP that is made in Germany. It works on the
    DURAMAX Diesels and other GMC/CHEVY Trucks.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    http://www.savefuel.ca/

This little gizmo (for the new low low price of only $197!)is supposed to generate hydrogen (FROM ORDINARY TAP WATER!!!) and then inject the hydrogen into the air intake or air cleaner for added fuel economy.

Question - IF the thing actually produces hydrogen(?), wouldn't the hydrogen react with the oxygen coming into the intake and produce.....WATER?

If this is the case, isn't this just a really, really complicated water injection system?
  • danielsandanielsan Member Posts: 1
    Recently, an import tuner buddy of mine convinced me to install a ground wire system on my 98 4Runner. By reducing the impedance flowing through your vehicles electrical system you improve performance. For 75 bucks I bought one which my pal installed in less than 20 minutes. Results? Added life to an ;) engine which has 140k on it, starts easier AND got a 3 mpg increase in gas mileage. For the price and ease of installation you can't go wrong. Check it out!
    There was a discussion about that last year; pretty interesting.

Grounding Kit

Steve, Host
    If this is the case, isn't this just a really, really complicated water injection system?

Even if the hydrogen remains intact before injection there are two fundamental problems with the "device:"

(a) basic physics - you simply cannot get something for nothing! It takes energy to extract the hydrogen and you cannot recover more energy from that hydrogen than you provided to accomplish the separation. (It's called thermodynamics!)

Moreover, the energy required to accomplish the separation appears, from the vendor's description, to come ultimately from the same gasoline whose efficiency he is trying to enhance. That is energy taken away from actually operating the vehicle.

(b) basic chemistry - hydrocarbons (i.e. gasoline) are not deficient in hydrogen. They are rich in hydrogen. The problem is providing enough oxygen to enable combustion of the already abundant hydrogen.

Just in case I come across as appearing "somewhat skeptical," let me put your mind at ease and assure you that you can safely drop the adverb "somewhat!" I won't be offended. :)

tidester, host
    for your enjoyment. :)

tidester, host
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Thanks, tidester.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I agree with why the aftermarket ignition system would work. I do know that Jacobs systems do work but they aren't designed to achieve better mileage etc. They were designed and used as a performance ignition system and have been used by many,many hotrodders etc as such.

With todays ignition systems, assuming they are properly maintained, I don't think you will see the differences that you would have years ago however.

I agree with one poster that mentioned the possiblility that since you had installed a "gas-saver" that the driver would tend to drive more sedately trying to see if the device actually did work.......sort of a "placebo effect" if you will.

Having said this, all gas-savers and performance enhancers of the "Tornado" sort I have ever seen and tested are pure snake oil
    AFIK, Jacob's only claims "improved engine efficiency" but doesn't attach a number to that. Tests do tend to support the notion of improved performance at higher RPMs.

tidester, host
  • motownskimotownski Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever heard of a SGS (sparking gasket system) it does away with sparkplugs has 3 to 4 times the spark of regular sparkplugs burns cleaner, think of the sparkplugs sandwiched between the head gasket and instead of 1 electrode per sparkplug there is 3 to 4 electrodes surrounding each cylinder thus increasing spark and horsepower. Another product is Syncrofire pretty much the same concept but not in the head gasket but in an adapter for your sparkplug you screw it onto your sparkplug then install. i have seen both these products work with my own eyes, so why arent these big auto manufacturers jumping at these? You tell me, but i already know. contact me and i will show you the way Lipper
    I suspect the real world results are going to be insignificant compared to the costs of converting your plugs; may as well pull your plugs and index them so the gap faces the center of the combustion chamber instead of the cylinder wall, or spend lots of money on plugs with an exotic material that will let you retain a sharp edge or point on the center electrode without wearing away in a short while.

A colder or hotter plug than recommended by the manufacturer can also mess up your emissions.

I never understood why having 4 sparks is better than one when you have an explosive fuel/air mixture sitting there waiting to be triggered. If the plug is appropriately gapped, the spark should fire efficiently and the use of several electrodes or V notching probably isn't going to make a lot of difference. Maybe at Daytona, but not in my garage.

Steve, Host
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Both are about $60. Is the intake storm any good for hp or mpg gains?
  • 19211921 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

tell me more about the grounding kit I drive a '89' p-30
    gas hog
This discussion has been closed.