Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

avalanches in new york state

pdloo1pdloo1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Ordered an avalanche several weeks ago- car came in just the way I wanted it and at what I think is a fair price- only to find out that all avalanches registered in new york state must be registered as commercial vehicles. Had to tell the dealer to refund my deposit and will probably settle for a new explorer-what a bummer!!!

Comments

• Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey ask that dealer again........
    As of the first of the year 01 you
    CAN register your 1/2 ton or less
    truck with passenger plates.
    My dad just put pass. plates on his s-10
    should be the same for the AV. Check with
    the DMV on this................Geo
  • Options
    I have a 01 chevy 3/4 . I wanted pass.
    plates. CHEAPER...Dealer said no 3/4
    can have pass. plates..........
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    in NY, but if I understand their registration rules, there's a curb weight (maybe GVWR) break point for pass/truck plates. The Av weighs more than a 1/2 ton ext cab P/U. Even weighs in empty at more than a Sub by 400 - 500# and falls just over the NY truck/commercial limit.
    -- Don
  • Options
    Sounds ok by me. He should check with
    DMV. av 1/2 5652...sub 5123...tahoe 5050
    2500 ld 5497....2500 ld 5819
    darn i forgot 1/2 ton weight............
    I wonder what the weight break is ??????
    Can't believe the AV weighs that much !!!
    .........Geo
  • Options
    1/2 ton, 4x4, ext cab booked at 4790#. Yeah, I had trouble believing the Av was 500# over the Sub, too. Friend of mine and I were at the Chevy dealer's lot this evening looking at one (dealers are closed in Colorado on Sunday so you can kinda look at stuff without all the sales toads hanging all over you) trying to figure this out. He's thinking about buying one. We've spent a fair amount of time wandering around Colorado looking at land in the past few weeks and my friend has been impressed at how well my truck ran. But I have an HP-III program installed and then you add 850-900# of base weight and ????? I drove a Sub before I bought my truck and the performance difference was actually noticeable; equal gear ratios. This kinda argues for the big block, 3/4 ton Av if you can handle the gas mileage. Or a the very least the 4:10 rear @ no charge on the 1/2 ton. We're going to go annoy the dealer in person sometime later this week and figure this out a bit more.
    -- Don
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    weighing it down!!
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Unfortunately the rules are strict here in NY, concerning the vehicle weight. Anything over 5000 pounds (unladen weight) must be registered commercial. But on the good side of this, it is cheaper insurance. Not sure where you are, but for my purposes it only limits my driving when I am out of state.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#pick-up

• Options
    do they let Tahoes and Subs get by with non-commercial plates?
    -- Don
  • Options
    the seats. If you put a cap on and seats in the back you can by with an Av. too.
  • Options
    timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    From an Iowa dealer: the Av is being called an SUV by GM, therefore it is does not qualify as a pickup. Net result: $350 annual plates instead of $70. Units purchased prior to 08/22/2001 are exempt.

I'm in IL - any vehicle with a bed must use pickup plates (fees are the same as a car, however).
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    other states, but in NY, pick-up trucks are classified separately than SUV's. The passenger plate (non-commercial) is only for non-working (non-advertising) "open-bed" pick-ups with unladen weight < 5001 lbs. A Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban is not a "open-bed" pickup by NY DMV. These are registered as passenger vehicles (even 2500 series, unless commercial plate is requested).
    -Eric
  • Options
    I have a motel along the us canada border near
    alexandria bay ny. There is a small used car
    dealer across the street. They get a lot of
    canadian late model used trucks and cars.
    They have a 02 Av with 2400 miles ( changed
    the spedo from kms to mph). Leather , roof,
    hard cover , z71 they want $34,900......
    Man a dealer in Syracuse has a new one for
    $29,999. No leather or roof tho.........
  • Options
    Went there a few times when I lived in Central NY. Place called Alexander's Rag Time? Peanut shucks on the floor, Telephone line spools for tables, milk cans for chairs. (as I recall.) Cool place.
  • Options
    Yup, I stayed there every summer since I was a
    kid...That place was wild..Now called bootleggers
    dance club now...Remember Hannibal Ny ?..I own
    the Hannibal hotel too.....GM was good to my family !!!!!!!!!! Seen in your post u were from
    NY.....To stay on topic ..Is that car dealer
    nuts? 34k u can buy a new AV and have $$$$$
    left over..................Geo
This discussion has been closed.