Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Accessories and Modifications

farmguy2001farmguy2001 Member Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Toyota
I am trying to find a source for getting a quad cab Tundra 4X4 modified to add a camper-type shell to bed that is tied together with cab so there is internal access between cab and bed. The goal is to get a hybrid vehicle with interior similar to Sequoia SUV but with utility of the pickup bed of the Tundra.

Comments

• mcglinc1mcglinc1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Tundra LTD, V8, automatic, and am interested if anyone else has put on aftermarket exhaust, air intake systems, etc, and how noticeable they were. I put these on a Dodge Ram I had previously and the performance was very noticeable, but some vehicles benefit more than others. Anyone out there with these mods?
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Does anyone know the best way to add cruise control to my 1993 basic Toyota truck? I'd like to get the orginal system off a truck in a junkyard, but they are hard to find. Is there a special aftermarket cruise control available for older Toyota trucks? I checked at the dealer and the kits only went back to 1997.

- Paul
  • bugwizrbugwizr Member Posts: 50
    I went for the after market exhaust system, got the flowmaster muffler and tailpipes-stainless chrome things with the sharp/angled edges.

They stick out of each side, fairly noticeable, especially when clean.

A mid range sound. I don't know the actual number (i.e. 40's, 70's). Not obnoxious, but they sound healthy.

I think they mean more to people that really know cars than to me. I'm just learning and am enjoying this expensive, creative process.
  • danno9danno9 Member Posts: 6
    I will be picking up my new 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Extended Cab today (July 5th). It does not have the security system on it so I started looking around the internet for one. Romania Toyota has the RS3200 Genuine Toyota Security System on sale right now for $199.00. I snapped one up. Their website is toyotaguys.com. I have nothing to do with them commercially and I hope it is OK to bring this to the attention of the group. This is my first message and I hope I haven't broken any forum rules. Thank You D.W. Tucson, AZ
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    does your taco have keyless entry? Also, did you have the option to purchase the alarm when you got the truck?
  • danno9danno9 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Twowheeler,

I don't have keyless entry but that comes with the security system. You get two remotes. I purchased my truck through an auto broker and got the one that had most of the options I wanted. It came from our local Toyota dealer. I get a better deal from the broker. Just bought my wife a 2002 RAV4 from the same broker. Originally I was going to have the dealer put the security system and the tow hitch on. The broker made it part of the deal and I was going to get both items at dealer cost. The night before I got the truck I found I could get the security system and install it myself and a tow hitch is much cheaper from many other places that a Toyota dealer. Nixed these two items from my order and my monthly payment went down $16 a month. One thing to note. Your truck must have power door locks in order to be able to use the security system. If you look on a window sticker the RS3200 security system is $499. I think $199 and a little bit of labor on my part is a good deal. The kit comes with instructions and everything is plug in. No soldering and hopefully no drilling. The kit even includes tie wraps.
    I was gonna mention that if your taco(ma) had the keyless entry already installed, then you might be able to upgrade the factory system to full alarm for free (RS3000 model not sure about the others)! My '02 Tundra came with the keyless entry as part of the convenience package and they wanted, I think, another $250 or so for the alarm upgrade. I said no, and then later found out that the alarm is factory pre-installed in the '02 Tundra. All you have to do is spend about 30 mins simply unplugging/plugging a couple connectors and programming the remotes. But you have to buy the LED/microphone ($25) and glass breakage sensor ($ ?), as that isn't pre-installed.

Wasn't sure if your taco was the same; sounds like not, but just wanted to mention that cause you might get off cheaper!
  • vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know how to remove the tailgate on the 2000 Tundra. Any hints? Is it a big job?
    Thanks for any help offered.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It should be in the owners manual.
  • vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
    I never thought to look in the owner's manual. I did after your suggestion, and to my surprise the instructions are there. thanks.
  • ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    I know little about these things, so I figure I'll ask. What is turbo\super charging? And can it be done to my pipsqeak of a pickup? What about intake\exhaust mods?

96, 2wd, std cab, 2.4L, 4 cyl., manual tranny
    and somehow magically very fast.

I want to make it faster :)

Really, I'd just like to get a clearer understanding of these things. People speak of them on this board from the position of knowledge, so I have yet to put it all together.

Thank you,
    Alex
  • usrpetuusrpetu Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how is the wiring for the head unit in the Tundra? I need to add an audio amplifier and don't know which are the wires for every speaker in the Head Unit connector
    go to www.tundrasolutions.com for some possible answers. You can ask in the electronics forum or possibly find that info there already.
    Superchargers and turbochargers both "blow" or force air into the engine. Typically, a naturally aspirated engine "sucks" air into the engine with the reciprocating action of the pistons. The forced air mixes with the correct amount of fuel and enters the combustion chamber. The resulting combustion process of this larger air/fuel mixture creates more downforce on the piston thereby creating more power. Here's a website that explains more on turbocharging and engines in general:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

You can add an s/c or turbo to your truck, but not sure if anyone sells a bolt on kit for your make. You may need to custom fabricate the mounting brackets, plumbing, etc. That would be $$$.

• yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know where I can get a well priced 3" lift kit for my Tacoma? I have a 2002 PreRunner TRD. Also, What is the cheapest that anyone has gotten a Supercharger for that same model.

Thank you,

Yosmany
  • clevethehunterclevethehunter Member Posts: 2
    Help, I have a "01" Tundra, my milage is poor at 14-16 MPG. Would dual pipes help. I drive fast, 70-80 MPH on highways, do all I need to do is slow down??

How can I disable my headlights that are always on. Would like them to be turned off when hunrting, etc.

My rig does not have the limited slip rear-end which came out on the 2002. Can I retrofit this as a option for my truck, Is it worth it?

Dick
    check out:

www.tundrasolutions.com

There's a forum for both Tacos and Tundra's, but mainly for Tundras. You'll have to register on the site to become a "registered" member which will give you access to the forums. To access the archived "how to" section, you'll have to be a club (paid) member. But asking questions and browsing the open forum is free; you may find answers to your questions that way.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    www.tacomaterritory.com
    This is an offroad club, you can ask about lift kits and all other info.
    In short:
    Cornbred spacer lift (one of TTORA members, he makes his own lift kits): by far the cheapest, 1-3" of lift, front only. He can sell you an AAL (add-a-leaf) for the rear with shocks for nearly store price.
    RevTek lift: 2-3" I think. Expensive.
    Rancho lift: 4" lift....it's expensive, but it's better than CB lift, for example.
    Trailmaster lift: 6" lift kit, the most expensive kit.

Those are suspension lifts.
    For body lifts, you can get a Performance Accessories kit for $150.
    You need 3" suspension lift to clear 32x11.5 tires, and 6" of lift to clear 33s: by that I mean that you will be able to run around without rubbing (even with 6" your 33s may rub some) on the street and offroad.

As far as charger goes: $2.5K for the standard V6 TRD charger that'll give you 265 hp. You can ask about various other performance mods like headers on the board.
  • yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    So, most lift kits are only for the front suspension. If I want to even out the back I need to add a leaf. Is this correct?

Also, Should I make any additional adjustments beyond the supercharger, such as an exhuast or is it ok to just add and the supercharger and leave it alone at 265 hp?

Thanks a lot!
    Yes, if you just want to raise the rear end, you have few choices:
    1. AAL.
    2. New shackles.
    3. New leafpacks (like Old Man Emu ones).

As far as charger goes, I think it's 265hp with just the charger. If you want to be sure, check www.tacomaterritory.com and ask in our forums. I don't remember whether 265hp is just the charger, or the charger with headers/exaust.
  • stepside03stepside03 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery on a 2003 stepside. Cannot find a bug deflector for my truck. Dealer says they are not available yet. Has anyone else had a problem with this. Are there any aftermarkets available yet? Any feedback appreciated.
  • smitty59smitty59 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a basic Tacoma with the regular cab. I really like the truck, but the bench seat is pretty uncomfortable (the lumbar ridge in the back doesn't fit my back very well). I've seen bucket seats with a nice center console in the more expensive models. Does anyone know if the bucket seats will fit in the regular cab, and where I can get them?

Also, I'd like to add the fender flares that are on the 4wd models. I asked one dealer, and he thought that they wouldn't fit a 2wd truck. Anyone tried this?
  • steadysteedsteadysteed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4wd standard cab 2000 Tacoma (not TRD), and I want to replace the original shock absorbers (Monroe gas I believe)in hopes of improving the handling. My mechanic suggests replacing the shocks with KYB gas shocks. I know the TRD Toyotas use Bilstein gas shocks. Does any one have any ideas as to which brand of shock absorbers will give me a better feel of the road and better handling?
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • floydsunfloydsun Member Posts: 6
    My 96 Taco 4X4 has the 3 leaf spring set. I would like to replace them with stronger springs. Any one have a suggestion of what to get? Thanks...
  • 01tunterd01tunterd Member Posts: 2
    I'd recommend the Bilstein shocks. They came on my Tundra and it rides nicely. I've also ordered Bilsteins for my sports car(restoration project). All the note worthy German tuners use Bilstein shocks and then customize the valving. I've had KYBs and found them a bit rough.
  • ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    I am looking to do the same, or a similar thing. I have heard of poeple using the captians seats of an areostar minivan. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the buckets of a similar year 4 Runner may do the trick... That is just a guess though. I Would like to try. Does any one else have any input?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The seats should be able to be installed. However, from what I have found, it tends to be cost prohibitive. You need to buy the seats, and mounting rails. Installing them isn't difficult, however, it may be less expensive to get aftermarket seats.

As for the fender flares, the sheet-metal for the 4WD models is different to accomidate the larger wheels and tires than the 2WD models excluding the pre-runner. Fender flares for the 4wd model will not fit correctly on the 2wd model. However, similarly, there are alot of aftermarket catalogs available that you should be able to find fender flares for your 2wd truck.
  • wmonsmawmonsma Member Posts: 2
    Frustrated over the low mileage on the Tundra and wonder if anyone has done anything to improve it. Would duels help? Are there any ways to tweak out more MPG or has Toyota tweaked out to the max? Seems like the rating of 14-17 is not as good as it might be. Suggestions or comments?
    Well....you could always put smaller tires on it.
  • kathy50kathy50 Member Posts: 1
    I saw a post earlier that said the RS3200 comes factory installed on the 2002 Tundra. According to my invoice/accompanying pamphlet, I have the RS3000 (with the glass breakage detection), although I never asked (or paid for) any upgrade. Can anyone explain this?
  • melc3melc3 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab V6 4X2 with TRD last month and got no complain so far. The fuel consumption is 18mpg combined city and hwy driving. I'm planning to put a snug hardtop (like camper shell) on its bed. Just wanna know if any of you have some piece of advice to share which one is better, the fiberglass low-profile tonneau cover or the shell/cap? I heard that the shell or cap is noisy on the road, is this true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • b10751b10751 Member Posts: 14
    Congratulations melc3 on your truck. I just bought the same truck last week. My previous truck had an ARE LSII fiberglass tonneau cover on it. I loved it..In fact, i went saturday and ordered one for the tacoma. They are kind of pricey, but they are well made, lockable, and keeps the rain out. You can check them out at www.4are.com. There are lots of other makers of hard and soft covers. Good luck!
    They are great. I bought a used one for Xtracab off of one of our offroad club member about a year ago, had it ever since. It's a soft top with 3 support rails, buttons down on all 4 sides. The only downside is that during long trips, at high speeds (80+) the wind force is great enough to actually dislodge the support rails under the cover and drop them into the bed. Then the entire cover starts flopping :)
    Extang, SportsMaster(one I have), should all work for you.

Shell would be nice if you can get it on nice and tight, and in fact it'll provide much-needed weight in the bed to level the truck. If you can get it water-tight to the bed, it's good.
  • vorteclt43vorteclt43 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the belt tensioner is located for replacing the serpentine belt on a 2001 V8 Tundra?
  • posthinkposthink Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 T-100 and want to upgrade the speaker system. Has anyone ever done this using the factory mounting placement? How did it sound? What kind of speakers did you use and how much did you spend? Any input would be greatly appreciated. It is an extended cab.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I used to own a 94 T-100 regular cab. It did not come with a radio. I bought a single CD and boston acoustic speakers. It sounded wonderful with the speaker placement in the doors. Those doors make good bass from the 6 and a half speaker. Considering this was 8 years ago, the speakers were 160.

You will notice a huge difference.
  • jbh60jbh60 Member Posts: 3
    Anybody of Dcab owners found a good set of seat covers? Seems like the back seat covers are hard to find!
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    The tensioner is a spring loaded one, just look under the hood, it's the pulley not doing anything else! It will rotate a few inches when you apply a wrench to it, unlike the others.

Just buy or borrow a long wrench, take the tension off, remove the old belt, and put the new one on. Simple.
    I would recommend a goodyear gatorback belt (ask your part store guy) since they are said to be quieter and long lasting.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    try truckperformance.com. They have lots of accessories, sorted by vehicle. They had front and back sets last time I looked in several types of colors (incl factory) and finishes.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Does anyone know if the 94 Toyota pickup has an opening somewhere in the door frame for a door speaker. I have rear and dash speakers, and I didn't want to rip the door apart if I can secure my answer here. I would like to add speakers in the doors if possible. My 03 has door speakers and it makes a marked difference in clarity.

B
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Last weekend I replaced the cassette stereo in my 1996 LX V-6 with a double-DIN, CD/cassette unit from a 2000 Solara. I bought the Solara unit on E-bay for $100 plus shipping.

Once I figured out how to take the dash apart, it was a simple "plug & play" installation. It sounds good, works great, and looks like a factory installed option. A nice, inexpensive upgrade that will pay for itself in resale value.

If anyone out there is interested in the installation details, I could elaborate.

-james
    DISCLAIMER - use at your own risk.

If you're like me, you like to: (1) get in your truck, (2) start the engine, (3) put on your seatbelt (while the engine gets its oil up to pressure & circulating), then (4) drive off. The problem is that the "idiot-chime" will be reminding you to fasten your seatbelt in between (3) and (4).

For those people who don't need to be reminded, there is an easy solution. Beneath the drivers seat there is a 2-wire connector. Disconnect it and, voila!!... no more seatbelt warning chime. The chime will still remind you if your lights are on or key is in the ignition.

Warning - possible connection between that wire and the airbag system... I don't think so, but use at your own risk.

-james
  • wyeastwyeast Member Posts: 22
    Hi James,

Wondering if you could describe how you got the dash apart to replace the radio. We now have a spare stereo/cd from an '02 Highlander that looks like it will fit but I don't know how to take the dash apart. The truck is a '99 Prerunner but I'd bet its similar to your '96 LX. Any info you could pass on would be appreciated.
    I bet it will fit.

The center dash unit (on my truck) is held in place at 6 points: two screws in the center (behind the climate control panel), two "pop-out" fasteners on top, and two "hook tabs" on the bottom.

1) remove the knobs from the heater controls (put in a safe place).

2) My truck has slide-type heater controls. Yours may be rotary, so this might be slightly different. Using a small, flat-blade screw driver or pocket knife, carefully pry up the climate control cover panel. 2 screws should be revealed. Remove and lay aside.

3) pry the right top corner of the center assembly out. It should pop loose. (I actually removed the glove box and pushed it loose from behind, but that is unnecessary). Pull the other top corner loose.

4) if you have in-dash cupholders, pull them out to the extended position, then tip the entire assembly forward and lift up. There may be electrical connections tying the unit to the dash. Disconnect (squeeze-pull) and lay aside.

5) remove the 4 screws retaining the radio unit. I don't recall if the are Phillips or hex-head (maybe 8mm). Slide the unit out and unplug the 2 multi-connectors and antenna lead. The antenna is a tight fit, but it pulls out. Twist as you pull - may help.

In my installation, the mounting brackets on the replacement radio didn't fit. I removed the brackets from the old radio and they fit PERFECTLY on the new one. Plug in the connectors, test the radio (make sure it works properly), and screw everything back together.

Good Luck !!! Let me know how it works out.

-james
    Thanks for the info James. We have the sliding type controls so it sounds similar. Will give the replacement a shot this weekend. Thanks again!
    Hey Jim,

Thanks again for the dash removal instructions. They were right on - at least as far we got. Once we found the screws we decided it would be worth measuring before going any further(should have started with that anyway). Turns out the Highlander head unit (radio, cd and cassetter) is about 3/4" too wide. But, it we find something that will fit at least we know to get into the dash now. Thanks again!
  • brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know how hard it is to add a RS3000 alarm system to a 2003 Tundra. Looks like it just plugs in but thinking there must be more to it. I have factory keyless entry.
  • krunkykrunky Member Posts: 21
    Just bought an '01 Tacoma Double cab. Great truck, but sans floor mats. No problem because I'd get aftermarket ones anyway. Any suggestions. I am looking at Husky and Nifty.
  • kevinmhuynhkevinmhuynh Member Posts: 6
    Tundra 4X2,4dr,V6 automatic...
    MSRP 22015...option package 2979 ..Total
    $25,504...Invoice with option total $22,703...True market value on Edmunds is $23,435. Right now with 2000 rebate...should I minus $2000 of $25,504 or minus $23,435???
    PLEASE give me some advice. Very appreciate it.
    How much should I offer ?
This discussion has been closed.