Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    cross posting is frowned upon, it clutters up the boards
  • greybeards22greybeards22 Member Posts: 2
    will adding a rear sway bar like Heliwig make any difference in handling, will K/N intake be helpful for the price??? anyone having exhaust ping and goes away within minutes ? cracked manifold?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Hellweg sway bars are suppose to do wonders for the handling. They do have a draw-back if you go off-road, they don't allow the rear supension to works as it should. Another altenative is a Roadmaster Active Suspension that attaches to the springs. I'll be installing one on my Tundra this weekend. I've heard great things about both and some people even have both installed.

I have K&N on all of my vehicles. I really don't notice that much difference in power or mileage. I had one on a '91 Ford Festiva and it really improved the performance.
  • fragerfrager Member Posts: 5
    My Tacoma, 4wd, TRD, DC, v6 did not come with a towing package. I installed a class 3 hitch and a transmission oil cooler. Do I need anything else to be safe in class 3 weight.
  • limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone installed the TRD Supercharger on their 4.7L Tundra?

I would love to hear your comments.
    Thanks!
    Trailer brakes: Either surge or electric. Unless you are towing a pretty light trailer.

-james
    Thanks james!
    I hate to be a pest but can you explain how surge brakes work. I know about electric brakes and looked in howstuffworks but found no explanation on surge brakes.
    Thanks FR
    I'm no expert. I've never owned a trailer with brakes. But from what I've read, surge brakes are automatically applied whenever the vehicle decelerates. I'm guessing that they have a sensor that "reads" the deceleration and applies the brakes. They do not provide a powerful braking effect, but help some and also prevent fishtailing and jackknifing.

I've been told that surge brakes misinterpret "backing uphill" as deceleration and the brakes will drag in that case, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Electric brakes seem to be a superior system, but either is better than nothing for towing a heavy load.

If anyone knows more, or if my understanding is incorrect, please speak up.

-james
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello guys. I want to know what is the exact part number for the bedline that fits the following

2003 toyota tacoma Prerunner regular cab (under the rail) and how much this item goes for.

What tonneau cover is best for above vehicle (under $300.00)
  • zero260zero260 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased Tundra four months ago, everything has been fine so far. Two months after my purchase I decided to install seat covers. All covers were installed except the rear seat back cushion because it could not be removed. I then took it to the Toyota dealer and they couldn't figure out how to remove it either. Has anyone successfully removed the back seat before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a Tacoma '02 am looking for a Auto dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with compass. The best price so far $250, can anyone beat that price, thanks FR
    My '02 tacoma looks pretty good but I want to raise the back end about two or three inches, whats the best way to do it. It's a double cab 4x4 and I think it will look better. Thanks FR
  • whatever9whatever9 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Tacoma 4x4 extracab v6. Great truck but the cab seems to get hotter than my old Toyota truck. I don't live in hot climate, but still feel I am getting fried in 65 degree weather.
    Will window tinting help UV radiation levels and is anything legal in California?
    Anybody else notice this?
    I had the two forward side-windows tinted in my '96 LX extracab last month. The rear 1/4 windows and back slider came with factory tint. Cost was $80 using a metallic film that closely matches the shade of the factory tint.

I went with the 35% tint, which is the legal limit in both Washington and Oregon. California is probably the same. A local tint shop can tell you, or do a web search on window tint laws.

The tint helps keep the cab cooler and much more comfortable. This is most noticeable when the sun is shining directly on you through the side window. Having tinted each of my past two vehicles, I would never be without it again.

-james
  • whatever9whatever9 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for running boards for Tacoma xtra cab 4x4, don't want the tubular kind. Any ideas?
  • peterteleppetertelep Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if anyone here has purchased any of the below items and can comment on them:

1) Front skid plate
    2) Bed extender
    3) A.R.E. hard cap for DBL CAB bed
    4) Roof rack
    5) Ventivisors for DBL CAB

Thanks! pt
  • ohmtbrohmtbr Member Posts: 2
    I have a new Taco DC with the bed extender. I must say that I didn't really want the bed extender, but my wife talked me into it. She likes the way it looks.

Anyway...now that I have it, I love it. Yes, it extends the bed about 18 inches or so, but that's not the best part. The cool thing is when you put long items in the bed (lumber mostly). Instead of resting the wood on the tailgate, you can slide the lumber between the slots on the bed extender, and that keeps the stuff from sliding around in the bed. No need for straps or bungees.

Also...I got LINE-X sprayed into the bed the other day. I HIGHLY recommend it. You should see the damage the toyota liner did just 2 months. Down to the metal in places!

-Mike
  • ronfilmronfilm Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a little advice since I am about to buy a 2wd Tacoma.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 16" x 6.5" aluminum wheels with P235/55R16 versus the 15" x 6" steel wheels with P205/75R15 tires.
    My driving will be primarily city and highway not off the road. Is the added cost of the larger, aluminum wheels and tires worth the additional cost - roughly $850?
    Thanks for your help.
  • wolf75wolf75 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone used their Tundra 4.7 V8 for towing travel trailers long distances over hilly or mountainous highways? Whay was the weight of your trailer and how did the Tundra perform on these type of roads?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have towed several times over the mountains (applachian) in NC and VA. My camping trailer weighs wet (assume) around 5000 lbs. The dry weight is 4680. One time I literally pulled it up a mountain campground. My Tundra has always performed well; up or down the mountains. However, going up strongly drinks the gas.

I have also been to SC, GA, FL, and AL; but no mountains there (the parts I drove the camper through).

I bought a Tundra V8 to be able to go mountain camping. I had a Tundra V6 before.
  • ned15ned15 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the mountains of Southern California. I've towed 6x12, 5000lb trailers several times and my 2001 4x4 has always been a pleasure. No overheating even when it's 110 degrees. When towing, long runs on I-5 at 60mph or so get me about 11 mpg.
  • akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Question on adding a tube style side-step/running board to 04 Tundra Access Cab.
    (The 4x4 V8 SR5 that I’m looking at doesn’t have a step)
    Do I buy from and have Toyota dealer install or is there a better 3rd party way to go?

tia!
    srp
  • jonjonsjonjons Member Posts: 19
    Hi,
                I just bought a '96 taco that came without mud flaps. The dealer is asking $80 each so I am looking for alternatives! Have any of you guys bought any aftermarket oem-style flaps that you were satisfied with?

Thanks,
                 Jon
    Jon,

I agree that the dealer prices for mudflaps are way out of line. The factory flaps are nothing special, just medium weight plastic. But they are molded for a perfect fit to your vehicle. This is more important for the front flaps than the rear (because of the shape of the inner fender.

Even so, charging more than about $5 each is robbery. I bought a set off E-bay for about $40, which still seems high.

I think that you could use a set of generic flaps and drill them to fit the fastener holes in your truck. I recommend that you DO buy the fasteners from Toyota. They consist of plastic inserts that pop into the square holes in the inner fender and screws with washers that screw into the inserts. 12 of each.

Good luck - james
    Thanks James,
         I phoned the dealer again and got a more helpful person this time around who did some more digging. Apparently the mud flaps that are $80 each are also available as a set of 4 for $42! Sounds too good to be true but I will find out for sure on Friday when the parts come in.

Jon
    Score! If you can buy them for $42, that sounds like a good deal (relatively speaking).

james
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    If you are still around, the 16" low profile tires cost you some load capaicty on a 2wd Tacoma but deliver some handling advantages. I went with 225-70-15 on 15x7 wheels to keep the load capacity and improve handling, especially in the rain. The tires are BS Dueler A/T. Although the wheel diameter is increased only 3/10 of an inch the truck looks a lot higher off the ground. I guess it's just an optical illusion.
    The BS tires have a beefy look with rugged sidewall design, and this might add to the effect.
    The $42 '96 Tacoma mudflaps turned out to be the discontinued item and therefore unavailable. I bought some 2000-2003 mudflaps online for $50 which look as though they should fit pretty well (PT353-3595).

The mounting holes for the rear flaps line up fine. However, the self-tapping screws with washers that were provided don't seem to work with the threaded nuts in the rear mounting plate. The '96 part in the catalogue looked like a self-tapper too. Anyone remember (oregonboy?) whether the rear mounting bolts were self-tappers?

The outer holes of the front flaps line up fine but the middle hole will need to be relocated slightly. My question here is do the screws go directly into the existing fender trim clips?
    These plastic clips have a square body and a round head - are these screw nuts as well as clips?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
    If you're still around...

The flaps that I got for my truck have no mounting brackets. They bolt directly to the inner fenderwell. Are your flaps the 4x4 style perhaps?

The 2wd flaps mount with self-tapping bolts with integral washers. They screw into plastic inserts that have square bodies... designed to pop into the square holes in the inner fender. If the mounting brackets interfere with the fitment, discard them. Trim the flaps (if necessary) to fit, and use the appropriate Toyota hardware.

No warranty given or implied. Your results may vary :)

Good luck,
    james
    The 2000-2003 2wd mudflaps fitted fine - no trimming required. Rears mounted right up (once I got the right hardware - thanks again for the sound advice James). The only modification in the front was to relocate the center bolt hole in the flaps by about half an inch.

Jon
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    I just bought a used 2001 Tundra Club Cab with a 3.4 Liter V6 and 69000 miles. Even though it had the tonneau cover installed, and even though perhaps 70% of my driving was highway, I only managed to get 15.7 MPG on the first tank. I check the air filter and it was brand new. From what I have read, this may be the worst mileage reported on these forums, all things considered. I am interested in trying to increase the mileage and have already purchased Platinum 4 spark plugs which I have yet to install. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit available for this engine (or one of the similar Cold Air Induction Kits from other manufacturers) and/or a throttle body spacer? Would and aftermarket exhaust help? Is there something that I can do regarding the chip? Any other suggestions to make the mileage more paletable?

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, regarding the previous questions about side steps. I personally would avoid the tube type steps. My shoe size is only an eight so I know that it is just a matter of time before I am attempting to enter or exit the truck and my foot is going to slip and get painfully wedged between the tube and the truck. These tubes are too narrow for a safe step and leave too much of a gap put your foot into.
  • mga58mga58 Member Posts: 17
    Advice please on the better brands of covers and what one should look for in terms of longevity, security and ease of use. I am leaning towards a soft cover as opposed to fiberglass. Thanks.
  • edgexedgex Member Posts: 6
    All have their plus and minus' IMO. I had a snap aluminum frame one for my Tacoma, but was useless in the Northeast cold. I then went with a fiberglass camper shell that worked great, but sacrificed visibility and cabin light. I just purchased a Access Limited soft cover for my new tundra. It rolls up and snaps shut. Even in the cold. I know some rave about the Retrax roll cover too, but they are a bit pricier. The least expensive factory tonneau you can buy is at www.brandsport.com. $161 delivered. nothing fancy but will do the trick.
  • puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    Anyone know of any companies making a hard retractable tonneau for the 2004 double cab?
  • jmf2jmf2 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Quad cab Tacoma and I too am in the market for one. From the research I have done the Pace Edwards and Roll-N-Lock retractable covers seem to be the best quality. Don't choke on the price though, they run from $650 to $900 depending on the make, model and length of bed.

Does anyone have an experieince with either of these retractable tonneau cover manufacturers?
  • ibudic1ibudic1 Member Posts: 30
    Before you do any of that you should check:

1.Tire pressure
    2.Alignment
    3.Breaks(might have a hand brake drag)
    4.Engine compression(actually should check before buying a used vehicle, but its too late now)
    5.Fuel injectors
    6.Tampering with computer, some people just disable check engine light before selling their truck
    If all this is up to spec. than I strongly recommend red-line fluids, especially with rear-end and transmit ion. Don't use it in the engine, it costs too much for that. You WILL gain power and improved fuel-economy.

Oh, one more thing. Are you driving in the cold area? From my experience toyotas take more gas in cold.

Hope this helped
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    Started this last weekend with a new headunit, a Kenwood dbl din, single CD, cas, AM & FM and with MP3 capability. Put a small sony amp under the driver's seat and a 6 disc CD changer under the pass seat. Used a small (6 1/2") Kicker sub, temporarily mounted on the rear tunnel hump(fits nice, just behind the console). Sound was much improved, but I had ordered new speakers from Crutchfield and they arrived today. I started with the pass door - got it done in about 3 hrs and one of the rear door speakers. NOTHING fit right, even though Crutchfield had said they were easy fit! I had to cut and grind a lot, both on the plastic speaker mounts in the door panel and also some on the rear door panel where the plastic goes over the speaker(doesn't show). Part of the problem was changing the tweeters, as I had to fabricate a new mounting bracket, but the new tweeter is the most noticeable of the new speakers. Never had a problem with Crutchfield before and I will be talking to them tomorrow. It's a real pain, but I know it will be worth it. I think I'll wait until the weekend to install the keyless entry/alarm.
    Finished the Alarm/keyless entry and the last speaker and tweeter. Stereo sounds 10X better - NO distortion at high volume. Alarm install wasn't too bad. Power door lock wires were accessible under the driver's side kick panel. Had to run two wires out to engine bay, one for the siren and one for the parking lights. My alarm came with a plug-in harness for the ign sw, starter cut-out, hot lead(battery wire) and ground, so that eased the installation quite a bit. Ordered a 8" Kicker sub and will start building a box for it tomorrow. I will mount it behind the rear seat(have the 4 door Tacoma).
    Got my Kicker CompVR 8" sub installed behind the rear seat in DC Tacoma. Quite a bit of work, as I had to move the bottom bench seat forward about 3/8" to have enough clearance and I can't fold the driver's side seat back forward unless I remove the outboard bolt, but it sounds GREAT and I have no box taking up floor space!
  • steepsteep Member Posts: 1
    I finally sold my 86 longbed toyota pickup
    (178K = $500) and bought a beautiful 89 shortbed 4x4. The 86 had the excellent 22R engine and had more than enough pull, especially in 2nd and 3rd, and accelerating up the long hills around here was no problem. The 89 (also a 4 cyl. manual) is great (cold a/c, a radio and zero rust), but it has considerably less power and actually loses speed going up long hills even when I'm not towing anything (NB: there is nothing actually WRONG with it--just a lack of power)
    So my issue is: what to do? I don't NEED a massive increase in horsepower or torque and want to keep my mileage reasonable but I'd like to at least match the power of the older truck. What one, two or three cost effective things can folks recommend?
    Thanks,
    steep
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I just bought a 2004 Prerunner, didn't have either of the options with keyless entry, so I'm thinking of installing that seperately. Does anyone know what's required to install just the keyless entry? On my '99 CRV, it only needed the remote as all the electronics were already there, which Honda removed with the new generation CRV. It's still pretty easy though on them as the module can be purchased and installed seperately.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have an Undercover tonneau. It is made of high strength plastic compound and is very durable. Weighs less than 60 lbs. I installed it myself. It secures the tailgate. Easy to remove in minutes. And it does not allow water in the bed!
    Best tonneau option I've discovered.
    I previously had a Pace Edwards roll and lock and did not care for it. Froze up in the winter. difficult to remove and takes up valuble space. Required drilling. Track hardware is subject to damage as it is mounted on the sides of the bed rails. Roll and lock leaks! More expensive than undercover and more difficult to install.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It sounds like you had a weight gain. Going from a 2WD to a 4WD with hp only going from 103 to 116 and a similar rise on torque will slow you down.

I had the 22RE in a 93 standard 2WD pickup and it was fine. I drove the same engine in a 4WD and it was somewhat challenged.

I would try a tune-up first, then the exhaust system.
    Assuming that you have power door locks, an aftermarket system can be installed for a resonable price. I had one installed in my '96 Tacoma LX for a little over $200 at Cartoys.

Different options are available, but I went with no-chirp/honk, but parking lights flash upon locking/unlocking. I also opt-ed for a flashing indicator light that gives the appearance of an alarm system for an extra $20.

james
  • rayh78rayh78 Member Posts: 6
    Can I add power windows to a base model tundra. Dealer saids would have to go aftermaket. Would it woek and where could I find.
    Any suggestions
    Thanks
  • dwbehrensdwbehrens Member Posts: 15
    Check out E-Bay. You can get a Tundra dimming/compass mirror for $150-$175.
  • reno1reno1 Member Posts: 1
    The best truck I ever had , The only one that came close to it was my 1998 . At 150000 mi on it all I ever did was change the oil ! Still ran like new . Hope I get the same from my new 2004. Can any one tell me were I can find photos of a tacoma xtr cab with a cap on it ? I'm thinking of getting one but would like to see what it looks like first . Any ideas of what brand looks & fits best ? ( reno_bello@yahoo.com )
  • sbmackiesbmackie Member Posts: 7
    Looking at Snug-top and Leer toppers for my double cab. Any words of warning or advice?

Thanks
    Scott
  • elieli Member Posts: 1
    What website did you order the mudflaps from? I'm the owner of a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Doublecab and I've recently had my front right mudflap get torn off for the second time. I'm tired of paying $90 dollars for an ugly piece of rubber; so if there's a cheaper option, I'll take it. Feel free to e mail me with an answer.
  • cal_ravencal_raven Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone help me out, I'm wondering how well baby car seats fit in the rear area of an Tundra access cab. I know that they are outfitted with all the needed hardware, but do they really fit. I'm 6'1" and would love to buy an access cab over the double cab.
    Thanks
    Raven
This discussion has been closed.