Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Truck Owners - Future Models

2»

Comments

• ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    Toyota's website says the double cab will be available this Fall, when exactly is the Fall? I would like to see one in person, anyone out there see one yet?
    Thanks.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    to hit dealer lots in early-November.

There is a rumor of a 5.4 or 5.5 V8 coming next year.
  • rosey4rosey4 Member Posts: 42
    For those who have seen the Double Cab, please comments after reading the attached article. I am very eager to purchase the Double Cab. I, like the writer of the attached article, owned a Tundra Access Cab, but sold it to purchase an Odyssey. I needed the space the access cab couldn't provide. Is Toyota sacrificing some of what made the Toyota an impressive vehicle for size? Does anyone know what the cost might be?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6437&sid=27- 5&n=157
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    Talked to my dealer today. They expect the first doublecab by mid November. The salesman stated emphatically that the current model tundra will continue in its present form. The doublecab is an addition too, not a replacement for the current truck line. He also said that a 3/4 ton model will follow but not for two years. I ask specifically if a lager engine would be available in the doublecab and was told no. This guy seems better informed that most sales people (which I know isn't saying much)
    I was just looking on the toyota web site and the tundra information available only mentions a five passenger seating setup for the doublecab. Does anyone know for sure if a six passenger setup will be available? It's hard to believe toyota would be that short sighted.
  • marshal227marshal227 Member Posts: 3
    MOST DEALERS IN DALLAS/FT. WORTH HAVE ONE CREW CAB TUNDRA, NO 4X4'S YET. I DROVE A LIMITED. A VERY NICE LOOKING TRUCK BUT I AM A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED. EVEN WITH THE STANDARD TOWING PKG,THE TOWING CAP.DROPS TO 6600 LBS ON A CREW CAB 4X4, AND NO BENCH SEAT IS AVAILABLE. THE TRUCK DID NOT FEEL HEAVY OR SLUGGISH AND HAS A GREAT RIDE. THIS DEALER ADDED $2000.00 TO THE MSRP AND SAID THEY WERENT COMING OFF OF IT FOR AWHILE! IT'S PROBABLY THE RIGHT TRUCK FOR ME ONCE THE PRICE GOES DOWN. I'M NOT INTO BIGGEST AND FASTEST, JUST THE BEST QUALITY. I THINK TOYOTA IS ABOUT TO BE PLAYING CATCH UP ONCE THE NEW NISSAN TITAN IS RELEASED NEXT MONTH. THEY HAVE ONCE AGAIN MISSED THE CHANCE TO WIN A LOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS AND DO SOMETHING GROUND BREAKING BY BEEFING UP THE MOTOR AND TOWING CAP..
    It sounds like the guy responsible for the latest version of the dodge minivan not having a folding third row seat has a new job at Toyota. Every manufacturer except toyota offers a six passenger setup on their crew cabs. Not to mention 300 plus horsepower. I am very disappointed as I was looking forward to being a first time Toyota owner.
  • bronzemaskbronzemask Member Posts: 2
    I tried to post this once before and didn't realize I was breaking the Members Agreement. I'll post it again, listing only the retail prices for an '04 Double Cab.

Base retail for a 2004 Double Cab Tundra is $28975.00 (plus tax, title, license, service fees)
    Expect to pay about $37903.00 for a loaded Limited level Double Cab Tundra.

Options included on our Double Cab are:
    -all weather guard
    -JBL AM/FM/Cass/6 CD in-dash changer & 8 speakers
    -driver/front passenger heated seats
    -leather seats w/driver's power seat
    -overhead console w/compass, temp gauge, Homelink
    -color-keyed running boards
    -synthetic wood trim
    -4.100mm limited slip differential
    -moonroof w/tilt
    -towing package
    -130 amp alternator, transmission cooler
    -metallic paint
    -auto-dimming mirror
    -carpet door mats w/door sill protector

If you are being told by a salesman there will be full sticker plus a premium, do the smart thing and walk out. I know we are not doing a premium here in central Wisconsin.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want any more specific information, I might be able to provide it.
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    My wife and I went to pick up our Sequioa at the dealer for some routine maint. and was looking for the Double cab. Saw one, but didn't realize until looking through the windows that is was already sold and had temp tags on it. I guess it came in on 11/5 and was sold. It was a white limited. It looked very nice.
    I would like to test drive one, especially after that less than stellar review about power (said it felt more like the Sequioa vs. the Tundra, power-wise).
    Hopefully there will be more on the lot soon.
  • marshal227marshal227 Member Posts: 3
    I have been comparing the new Tundra crew cab and the GMC 2500 crew cab. Ever since I have owned Toyotas (10 years), I have not been a big three fan. The Tundra is a little taller and longer, but the shoulder room is less. It appears that the Tundra cab is about 4 inches narrower than the GMC. You can feel it when sitting in them. The GMC has much more buttons and switches and looks crowded compared with the dash of the Tundra. The GMC rear window does not open at all, the Tundra's opens completely. I still am unsure which one I really want. The low towing capacity keeps pushing me away from the Tundra, but my past experience with Toyota quality keeps pulling me back...
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It all depends on what you would like to tow behind it.
  • rosey4rosey4 Member Posts: 42
    I finally test drive the Nissan Titan over the weekend, and came away impressed. The Titan has much more to offer than the Tundra Double Cab does. Much more power of course, but it was roomier on the inside, much more than I anticipated. It has a rear sonar device that lets you know how close to something when backing up. The one I drove was fully loaded, it was an LE with Navagation and a DVD. The Titan is something to really consider. It is a monster truck, an impressive one.

Though I test drove the Tundra Double Cab briefly I knew what to expect. The Tundra is a much more smoother ride than the Titan. I really want the Tundra, but what happens if I eventually need more power? Does anyone know when Toyota plans to build a larger engine? I was told last year it would be soon. Could it be mid-year 2004? Or, will it be next fall? Will it be a 5.5 liter engine?
  • kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
    truck even greater I think. I know Nissan just came out with thier Titan,(and Nissan's aren't bad) but I'm willing to wait a little longer for Toyota to update it's Tundra and have that proven Toyota build quality!. I'm just wondering if thier going to put a larger engine in the double cab or build an all new vehicle/platform!
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Does anyone have any links or information on Toyota's plans to put their Hybrid technology into the Tundra? All of you who want the big power, will pay the big cash at the pump. Hybrid is the future!

Thanks in advance for any links.
  • farrouckfarrouck Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen pictues of the 2005 Tacoma yet? Any link?
  • enolagaiaenolagaia Member Posts: 4
    According to a January 22 press release from Toyota (see the company's Press Room), the '2005 Tacoma X-Runner' will debut in a press conference at the Chicago Auto Show, February 4. I assume the 'Tacoma X-Runner' is a truck quite distinct from Toyota Australia's 2003 'X-Runner' concept, which was based on an Avalon.

Except for one spy shot of a 'masked' prototype that's been bouncing around the Web for a year, there are no 'real' photos of the new Tacoma. There are a couple of PhotoShopped pictures based on a current 4Runner, which the 2005 Taco is supposed to resemble in size and general looks.
  • mr620mr620 Member Posts: 60
    anyone here know when will a hybrid tundra be out? I heard that toyota might start out with a gasoline verison first before morphing into a hybrid a year later. Anyone has something to add?
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    Last I heard, toyota plans to offer a hybrid drivetrain option in ALL models by the year 2010.
    I don't know for sure in it will be a Tundra by then though. The plant opening in 2007 in San Antonio,TX will bring a lot to the plate for Toyota's truck buyers.
  • smokey888smokey888 Member Posts: 16
    I'm wondering about when the 2005 Tundra is coming out. Also was wondering if the price of the 2004 goes down with the end of the 04 selling season?

I've heard that the battery/gas Tundra will come out some time well after the start of 2005 but before the 2006 season begins.(??)
  • scmscm Member Posts: 1
    Was at my dealership and was told the 06 will be out in late 05 with the V8 hybrid, this truck on the exterior looks very much like the concept that was shown this year the FTX, it is a huge truck, and powerful.
  • manukumarmanukumar Member Posts: 9
    2005 model has been announced at Toyota.com with all details you will want. The highlight is the 282 HP V8 giving 22mpg highway !
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    I'm afraid the 23mpg double cab and 24mpg reg/access cab info may be wrong. The Flash demos on the Tundra for the VVT-i says 240->282 HP and 18->19 MPG increases. So right now, Toyota is contradicting themselves.
  • ace654ace654 Member Posts: 7
    The FTX is coming out in 2007 :D. Its 4WD.Its a double cab. I think the FTX is a beautiful truck. its chevy duty and its back is the same size as the exteryear.Finly more room lol :D . The chevy avelanch is going down :sick. With FTX es low mileage :D . well im done so if anyone what to add to message go ahead.
  • smitty_522004smitty_522004 Member Posts: 5
    I took my 2005 Tundra in for 30000 mile maintenance today.
    They wanted to sell me a fuel system cleaning to remove
    carbon deposits...etc from the injectores and other parts
    of the fuel system. It was over a hundred dollars and I passed. Is any one aware of a commerical off the shelf product
    that would achieve the same results?
  • jclemjclem Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the new Tundras are just going to be bigger, stronger "play" trucks like the Ridgeline and Titan or are they going to provide real work trucks to compete with Ford and GM?? Like f350 dually dump trucks and utility body trucks??
  • sidewayssideways Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. I've heard that over 90 percent of truck buyers never even come close to maxing their current pickup trucks ability. And everytime I see a dually or an F350, it's rare that it's pulling anything, let alone sumpin huge. Does a trucks stats have to account for the 10 percenters? It must and I understand that. I've got a friend who's owned several F150's and he's never lugged anything more than an aluminum boat for duck hunting and since he's had kids, it's just a really heavy diaper bag. More is better but I'm just thinking out loud.
  • jclemjclem Member Posts: 2
    My guess is that that's a fairly accurate stat. A lot of the dually 350's or 3500's are probably dump trucks and stake bodies that do haul a lot of weight. Some, that still have the original p/u body, are outfitted with the "5th wheel" for hauling campers and trailers, but the rest are probably just because bigger is better. Personally, I need a work truck which I will outfit like a UHaul truck--big box on the back with "cab over", for all my tools and equipment. I've always had good luck with Toyotas(over 30 years) and I'm hoping the trucks can grow with me. My current '97 4 cylinder T-100 is WAY over worked!!
  • sandia01sandia01 Member Posts: 3
    Will Toyota ever put a locking fuel door back on there Tundra's or make a locking gas cap for the Tundra's? With gas prices at a all time high its something Toyota should look into!
  • vending101vending101 Member Posts: 6
    When is Toyota coming out with their 3/4 ton pickup?
  • richardtsrichardts Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE 06' TACOMA 'S REAR SUSPENSION IS ANY STRONGER THEN PREVIOUS YEARS. MY 1998 WOULDN'T HOLD MORE THAN 400LBS WITHOUT BOTTOMING ON THE RUBBERS
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I have an '06 and I'm gonna put 1 of my work trailers behind it just to see how it holds up to the weight. I have a 5 X 16 pressure washing trailer that holds 550 gallons of water. Even though it's only got 150 or so gallons in it now I just curious to see how it sits if my van was to ever break down and I had to pull it on a emergency basis. My trailer right now weighs about 3,500 lbs the way it's sitting.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The new Tundra will start appearing in Dec of this year. It will have the 5.7L along with the 4.7L and the 4.0L V6. A diesel is being developed in TX as well as Hino opening two plants in NA.

The vehicle in Dec will be the one debutted in Chi and on the website. It's the Access Cab but it will be as big as the Double cab is now. The Quad cab will be Apr 2007 and it will be the biggest truck on the road.... '01" under commercial width allowances and in at least two bed lengths.

As I understand it'll take a snow plow in the front as well.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I have a question. I've heard that over 90 percent of truck buyers never even come close to maxing their current pickup trucks ability. And everytime I see a dually or an F350, it's rare that it's pulling anything, let alone sumpin huge. Does a trucks stats have to account for the 10 percenters? It must and I understand that. I've got a friend who's owned several F150's and he's never lugged anything more than an aluminum boat for duck hunting and since he's had kids, it's just a really heavy diaper bag. More is better but I'm just thinking out loud

I guess I am guilty of overkill, but the occasional time I do need the increased capability, it is nice to know it is there. I had a 3/4 ton that never carried more than the shell on it's back, but when I needed to haul a load 1200 miles from home, I didn't need to worry that the unexpected load would leave me stranded. I also drove a 1970 1 ton GMC for a while. It was a daily driver that never carried more than me and the 2 kids, but when I threw a camper on the back and didn't get any sway or bounce going through the mountains, I knew I made the right choice. Kinda like insurance. You hope and doubt you will ever need it, but when you do, it is a welcome site to know it is there.
  • callmealcallmeal Member Posts: 1
    Needing max capacity (lots of steel 2x a month) and wanting to be Green (as in Hybrid &/or bioDiesel) I'm in a holding pattern until Toyota rolls out their Big & Green pickup (2008, I hope). I see nothing in the marketplace that looks at all interesting, including all those (noisy) Cummins diesels. Just give me bench seat options, please.
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    I never had the good fortune of reading this forum on Tundras before I bought. :lemon:
    I am one of the original owners of a Tundra - 2001, and a previous owner of Toyota trucks.
    I won't own another. As time passes and miles add up on the Tundra - transmission troubles are surfacing.
    Search the Problems/Solutions Forum for "transmission" BEFORE you purchase. :lemon:
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Tundra's are great trucks, I have also owned an '01 Tundra and I drove upto 80,000 miles and I had no problems. The only thing that I put my money on were a new set of tires. Otherwise I wish I had never sold that truck. It's luck of the draw my friend sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't. This thing happenes with every automaker not just Toyota.
  • kg21kg21 Member Posts: 2
    With power being the only major category that the tundra fell behind when compared with the titan, what is nissan doing to keep up with the redesigned tundra? can we expect a major rivalry between the two trucks?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Actually the standard 2006 Tundra and the standard 2007 Titan are equal ... except that the Tundra can carry a larger payload. Even with the 4.7L Toyota vs the 5.6L Nissan, the Tundra hauls more and they have the same towing capacity @ 7100 lbs. To get the 9500 lbs towing capacity on the Titan you have to add the tow package.

The Titan only comes in two cab configurations and it only offers one engine. The new Tundra should be so far ahead of the Titan in every category that it's no contest.

Even with the tow package the Titan can haul little if any cargo and it may not even be able to carry the driver legally! ??? So you might be able to haul 9500 lbs but you might have to do it by remote control due to the GVWR limitation.
    Hey guys. This is the link to go to the website I got the Crew Max pic. It's huge and offers 20" alloy wheels. It looks as big as the Dodge Ram Mega Cab.

P.S I think your right the Tundra can haul more than any Titan. I know I've driven both trucks. Believe me Toyota's new Tundra is gonna send Nissan back to the drawing boards. For sure.

Here's the link.http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=2949958
  • joz88monjoz88mon Member Posts: 3
    the new tundra also beats the titan in the butt ugly category :P
    Thats what she said.
  • daraghdaragh Member Posts: 2
    I was hoping Toyota wouldnt try recoup its tundra investment on the first year sales of its new Tundra but boy was I wrong. A double cab 4*4 Limited Standard Bed which I was interested in is base priced at $38,550 thats crazy! I'm now most likely go go for the 07 F150 as its got a price about $4000 less for a similiarly equiped truck! Toyota re way off the mark with their pricing, its no wonder they delayed releasing the pricing! Nice truck but in my opinion not worth almost $39k and thats before delivery, tax title tags etc etc
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But you get what you pay for.

Notice how no one is comparing the F-150 to the Tundra, because it is understood that it is overmatched.

The Tundra is more than nice, if comparison tests mean anything anymore.

DrFill
  • bikehaulerbikehauler Member Posts: 3
    It really won't end up costing you $4,000 less because when you go to sell it, whenever that may be, the Toyota will be worth at least $4,000 more than the Ford.
  • coldcarcoldcar Member Posts: 6
    hey jclem!

how do you like that 4 cyl T-100?

i've had 2 early '90s toy trucks, and love(d) 'em. i once considered a T100 with the 4, NOT the v6, as i've been more than satisfied with toyota 4s and appreciate the mileage.

it seems 4 cyl T100s were rare to non-existent here?

what kind of mileage do you get (when it's NOT overworked)?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I owned a 94 and had it for 5 years before my first Tundra. Mine averaged 25 mpg and never less than 23 mpg and that included lots of hauling wood. My friend still has it today.
This discussion has been closed.