Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prices Paid

Comments

• coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    I have a located a 05 Tacoma 4wd,doublecab, speedway blue, at a local dealer in NH, MSRP is just over 29000, What would a reasonable offer on this vehicle, Thanks
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    Hard to tell what options are included in that vehicle, but somewhere around three thousand dollars under MSRP will be what you shoot for. Try the pricing service at Kelly Blue Book.

http://www.kbb.com//

I pick up my Radiant Red Double Cab (4x4 V6 5 spd AT short bed) tomorrow.
  • cutiger22cutiger22 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a speedway blue X-Runner last night for about $950 over MSRP (they had it listed $5,000 over MSRP!), even though I was adamant about not paying over MSRP. The dealer offered to trade for a red or black one and sell it at MSRP. The blue is actually a limited color within the limited model. I had looked at dealer allocations all over the Southeast and if I didn't buy this one, I probably would not have been able to get a blue one until next year. I actually drove over 2 hours just to go see this one. I live in a metropolitan area (Miami) of over 3 million people with multiple Toyota dealerships, and there has only been two trucks (one red, and one black) in the area since the model came out, and no dealers have been allocated a blue one. I also had a dealer in another state where my Dad live give me a quick quote over the phone for a red one. He quoted me MSRP. I would guess I could have gotten him down a little below that if I had negotiated at all. This is an area in SC where they probably don't have as much demand for new vehicles. I read other people on this message board say they've purchased an X-Runner for about $400 under MSRP. Priced with options (this jacked the price up a bit...this was the most options I had seen on an X-Runner): Toyoguard protection, ash tray ($49 for an ash tray....who cares!), all weather mats, security system, door sill protector, self dimming mirror with homelink, tinted windows. My price before taxes and fees was $26,500. All in all I was happy. I got what I wanted, but I paid for it too. The dealer (Toyota of Vero Beach) was pretty straight forward and didn't shoot me any bull. I knew going in I was going to have to pay top dollar for the truck, I was just hoping it wasn't over MSRP. But if you have a red one ordered, from what I've seen, I wouldn't pay over MSRP, and maybe a few hundred below if you can talk the dealer into it. I hope this helps.
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Got a speedway blue for $500 off msrp.
  • cutiger22cutiger22 Member Posts: 5
    Westeem - What part of the country did you buy your X-Runner? They've had 3 here in South Florida since the model was introduced (3 different dealerships). Everyone has been marked up between $5,000 - $6,000 over MSRP. I was about ready to go to another state to buy one because of that. Since I was having so much trouble finding that color in the southeast, I went ahead and bit the bullet and paid close to a grand over MSRP. The problem is too many people have too much money here. Oh well.....I got what I wanted.
  • alan_432alan_432 Member Posts: 2
    My Truck:

2005 Tacoma

v-6

6spd Manual Transmission

Access Cab

4x4

Off Road w/ Tow

Impulse Red

MSRP: $27,700ish

Paid: $25,750

It's on Order...should be 30-45 days for delivery.
  • 3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    I noticed on this site that Toyota has jacked up the price on options between the Access Cab and Double Cab to make it foolish to buy an Access Cab unless you "must have it".

Access Cab:

Invoice on Access Cab - $21,216.00

TRD Offroad with Tow $3,533.00

Destination $565.00

Total $25,314.00

Double Cab:

Invoice on Double Cab - $22,432.00

TRD Offroad with Tow - $2,965.00

Destination $565.00

Total $25,962.00

Toyota jacked up the price on the TRD package on the Access Cab over the Double cab +$568.00.

This only makes the difference between the DCab and Access Cab -$648.00 on invoice.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    On the Frontier Vs. Tacoma thread, one person wrote that Toyota is now offering a $1000 rebate on the new Tacomas. I can't find this anywhere. Has anybody else seen or heard of this rebate?
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    rebate is only offered by TMCC if you are doing residual based Financing through them. Lease or balloon
  • trailrunnerstrailrunners Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a new used Toyota Tacoma. Right now I'm looking at 2 Tacomas.

One is a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L v6 extended cab with 143,000 miles and a nice fiberglass cap with a negotiated price of $9,500.

The other is a 1997 Tacom 4x4 3.4L v6 extended cab with 106,000 miles, no cap, but a bed cover with a price of $7,500.

Both are in excellent condition, however the 2000 Tacoma is the only one I have actually looked at and driven. I will look at and drive the 1997 Tacoma before purchasing, however that vehicle is in another state and a good road trip away.

The 2000 Tacoma really is in mint condition with one owner that the dealership knew well and who traded his 2000 in for a new Tacoma. It looks to be meticulously cared for. Drove great!

The question is: What's a better deal? The 3 year older truck, with 37,000 fewer miles and $2,000 cheaper? or the newer truck with more miles, one owner, right in town, and well cared for? Blue book shows the private party value of the '97 to be $7,930. Blue book on the 2000 for retail shows $11,000 private party and $13,700 retail. The asking price was $11,988.

I like the idea of paying $2000 less and getting a truck with less miles on the '97. What's more important - less miles or a new vehicle (2000 as opposed to a '97)? How big a difference really is 106k than 143k? Seems like the better deal actually based on Blue Book is the 2000 Tacoma.

Also, I'd ideally like to get a 2.7L I4 because of the better fuel economy. These have been harder to find than the v6's. From your experience, how much better really are the I4's than the V6's for fuel economy? A mile or two per gallon, or a lot better? If a lot better, I may hold off for an I4.

Lots of questions there, any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Just for peoples info. Here in the Southwest it is common to get inital offers from dealers at 2,000 below MSRP on 4x4 trd off roads and sports packages. So don't be so ready to believe dealer hype about how hot these trucks are. It's not the Prius. so be calm stick it to them and be ready to walk away. Make an offer tell them they have 30 min and then you'll have to go because you've got better things to do than hang around a car lot all day. It's Ironic, but you have to not want the truck to get a good deal.

Better yet, tell them "Mabey I should wait for the new Honda Ridgeline that's coming out in March. That looks like a pretty hot truck. It has navigation, leather seats, inbed trunk etc. that Toyota isn't offering." Make them squirm. :) The Ridgeline is coming! The Ridgeline is coming! you better move these Tacos while you can. You must control the deal. I love messing with their little brains. Your apathy about the purchase is your strongest weapon to getting the best deal.
  • trailrunnerstrailrunners Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to purchase a used Toyota Tacoma (1997-2000), and I'm looking for a 2.7 L 4 cylinder 4x4. The main reason I'm leaning towards the 4 cylinder over the V6, is because I'm looking for the best mileage possible in my 4x4, and I've heard that the I4 is basically bulletproof. It looks like the 4 cylinders are rated to pull 3,500 lbs. and the V6's 5,000 lbs. I don't think I'll be towing anything over 3,500 lbs, and don't think I need the extra power.

What would your arguments be for a 4 cylinder over a V6 or vice versa? Does the 4 cylinder really get that much better mileage? Is it generally more reliable than the V6, or is the V6 just as reliable? If you have a V6, what has been your best mileage? What about your best mileage in a 4 cylinder? Any other things you would recommend I look for in a used Tacoma?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • big_catbig_cat Member Posts: 14
    I agree totally, I believe the L4 will be a better choice.

I believe the L4 cyc is what the Japanese car famous for.

My wife has the V6 on her Accord.

I am not too impressed by it.

I have the Mazda B2300 truck (4 cyc.)

I am very happy with this truck, the manufacture claim it has 29 mpg on highway.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I am looking at the 4 cylinder but I'm a little

skeptical.The company I work for bought two T100

pickups with the earler generation 2.7 and one

blew a headgasket which would make it not as good

as the the old 2.4.As far as gas mileage it was a

pig and gutless too.
  • sp_martinsp_martin Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double cab. I received a sales price for $20,393. However after taxes and fees the price I receive is $23,418.23. Is this price legitimate?

Thanks
    That doesn't sound right, over 3,000 for ttl? I think either the sales price is highter than what think or your state has the highest tax that I have heard of. Are you sure they didn't say someting like " invoice is 20,393 and your total drive out is 23,418.23"? Maybe you where never told what the sales price before taxes 20393sounds like to good of a deal for a double cab.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    I just got a new Tacoma and had to trade my old truck in. The dealer gave me $11200 for the trade and figured the negative equity into it thus paying off my old truck for for $13700. They added the negative equity to the purchase price of the Tacoma. I have the GAP coverage $ coming back so that soaks up some of the negative.

For those of you buying new did any of you get the 72/100k Platinum extended warranty with $0 deductable? If so, how much did that cost?
  • brodeyobrodeyo Member Posts: 26
    I have been searching for a '05 Tacoma(double cab,PT package,black) for over 2 months now. There are none in the Cincy area. Every dealership wanted me to come in and talk, but I refused and decided to go through the web to inquire about pricing. I finally settled with a local dealership, and they have submitted to Toyota to make one for me. It's already been 1 month and should be here by the end of Feb. Anyways, I believe my MSRP is around 29,500, and I have negotiated a deal to pay only 1% over invoice. Not too bad.... I guess I could have negotiated more, but I was pretty of searching by that point.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    The dealer's in my area charge a markup over the MSRP...they claim $2000 more on the Tacoma's.

How much are dealers charging for the extended warranty's? That issue came up in the finance office for me. Dealers are allowed to charge what they want on those warranty's, so people could be getting ripped off by not knowing general prices.

I paid $1800 for the Platinum extended $0 deductable, it is the best one, so it makes since that the prices should go down for the other choices. Anyone else know what they paid?
  • edavis2005edavis2005 Member Posts: 3
    Solopaco,

You did not mention what year of Tacoma. But just to throw some food for fodder, I purchased a 2005 Tacoma DD (double Cab) AT, Silver Mica, TRD Off road, "fully loaded" also includes tow package before taxes (Virginia) 27,800.00. Its the nicest truck I have ever owned.
  • 1257212572 Member Posts: 7
    Final price reached was 26300 for a 05 4x4 4Dr,5A SB, with OG(trd with hitch). Edmunds invoice is 25962. Has a red one on the lot but I want the indigo ink.

Have a question: What do you guys think about the bed extender, bed mat and the autodimming mirror as accessories. Who puts them on? Is it worth it?

Many thanks for replies.
    Not sure about the extended warranty pricing. I haven't gotten that far yet...still waiting for the truck to come in. $1800 doesn't sound too bad, though.
    I like the Tacoma as it comes from the factory, personally. However, I may purchase a tool box for the bed, just for extra storage. But, I think I am going to some searching for prices post purchase. The dealer is always more expensive.
  • danh1danh1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also reviewing the 05 Tacoma Access and Double Cab pricing. I've since emailed this info, about the inconsistency in pricing from the manufacturer, to my contact at a dealership in Beaverton, Oregon, and the folks that sell at fleet pricing. We'll see what they have to say about it! It makes sense that dealers are going to be 'mum' about it, as it, (making money) is their bread and butter. However, this consumer is saavy - and I'm certainly won't cave to the first offer they, (the dealers or fleet guys) offer me on either an Access or Double Cab. I will prevail! If anyone can concur with me, (back up the info), please chime in.
    Don't undertsand this last post, searched the forum for last post but found none. What"the inconsistency in pricing from the manufacturer"
    are you referring to?
  • palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    i bought a doublecab shortbed prerunner (7188) from Beaverton Toyota.

email me if you want. i think i got a decent deal. argos_ak9@yahoo.com. if i don't respond soon...leave me a note on here.
  • tacoheadtacohead Member Posts: 2
    I live in Northern Kentucky, which dealership did you buy your '05 Taco? I am in the market for one and would like to find the best deal possible. Thanks.
  • lou62lou62 Member Posts: 9
    Have been having a tough time finding an 05 tacoma v6 auto
    dbl cab 4x4 with the Trd package plus the side curtain airbags
    option. Lots of prerunners out there. Dealers are pretty cocky
    and full of themselves at the moment. Maybe supply will catch
    up with demand this summer? I hope... I have a 2000 tacoma
    4x4 trd manual v6 with an 8000lb warn winch on the front with
    73000 miles and in excellent condition. Any ideas what it is worth? Thank you, this in an excellent forum and am learning a lot.-Lou
  • volvoluvrvolvoluvr Member Posts: 1
    Miles mean nothing. I'd take the 2000 in a second. All those miles in a short period means that a lot of them were highway miles. The suspension, electrical, and materials in general are going to be far superior in the 2000. I've always bought high mileage and have never been disappointed. As far as the fuel economy - I don't know.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    hello, i just purchased a 05 taco, and was really pleased with the experience at fletcher jones toyota in las vegas this my third vehicle from them, i was looking on toyota.com and priced my vehicle with the options that i got and found that they gave me 300 under msrp so not bad i think me otd total was (accounting for my 1600 equity for my trade) was about 23,900 ttl
    $300 under MSRP IS BAD! Here in Southern California, you can find dealers that will give you $2000 under MSRP. Even Longo Toyota, who doesn't discount very much, offered me $1200 under MSRP.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Yeah, I thought 300 under was bad too, but I didn't have the heart to tell him.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    LoL. Our thoughts were mirror images. ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • lou62lou62 Member Posts: 9
    Any other dealers you can recommend in the Los Angeles area
    besides Longo? Here in Visalia, Central Calif. Groepetti auto
    Group is out of the question, they are holding firm on MSRP
    regarding dbl cabs. Northern Cal is a bit of a drive..
    Probably the closest to Visalia would be Frontier Toyota in Santa Clarita. They do have a very limited inventory, but are willing to work with you. Simi Valley Toyota will also discount Tacomas, but again limited inventory. Carson Toyota has a large inventory, almost as large as Longo. Just get on the Internet and go to Toyota sites in Sourthern California. Some list inventory and mostly all will give you a discounted internet quote. That's how I found my truck at $2145 under MSRP.
  • cycomikocycomiko Member Posts: 1
    I visited a dealer recently to discuss the purchase of a 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    w/ SR5 pkg 2. Invoice lists this truck for 22,796 including dest. fee. The last offer left on the table from them was 23,400 and I said 22,700 and left it at that for now. What is the best price possible? I believe the invoice given on the net is not true. Dealers pay under this amount is what I have read. Is that true and is 22,700 a good deal?
    thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Well, of course dealers pay less than the invoice amount; if they did not, what would be the point of selling cars, especially at invoice?! They must make a return on the sale or they would not be in business long....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Both Santa Maria on Central Coast and Valencia Toyata have huge inventories and both seemed very pleasant. Didn't try to purchase from them.
  • ss580ss580 Member Posts: 4
    I have received a quote from Vancouver, WA through Costco and a quote from a Portland dealer over the internet. There were comparible on an Access Cab. The quotes were in the middle of Invoice and MSRP.
    I disagree that Frontier (not Valencia) Toyota has a huge inventory of Tacomas. Check their inventory on the net; they currently have 11 Tacomas, only one of them 4x4. And don't try to say that they don't list their total inventories on the net; they do because I've been there & seen. Frontier Toyota is located in Santa Clarita and is not called "Valencia" Toyota. Both Longo (64) & Carson (58) Toyota have what I would refer to as "huge" inventories of Tacomas.
  • code3code3 Member Posts: 4
    Toyota recommends premium fuel for the
    v6. Is anyone using regular and how is it working ok?
  • oneionei Member Posts: 11
    You all sound like you love your Tacoma. Currently I have a '95 T100 that the sun has taken its toll on out here in the desert Southwest. I currently looking at the '05 Tacoma PreRunner V6 2Wd Quad cab Long bed. Not easy to find. Dealers are claiming they want 1000 over invoice. I have found a couple willing to do 500-600 over. In either case the selection is limited at best. The good thing is they seem willing to deal, end of month I guess. Here is my problem. While looking, there sat a 2005 Tundra stepside with TRD package. With the current rebate on these the dealer was willing to sell this for under invoice plus the rebate. Basically I can get the Tundra for about a 1000 less than the Tacoma. What do I do ????
  • palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    wow!

you can do much better than that in my area (Texas). at least $2000 off msrp seems to be the average deal around here.
    saw a new 05 DC Prerunner advertised in the local dealer ad for just over $22k.

those dealers are full of poo. shop around. don't fall in love with a vehicle or the dealer. it ain't worth it. i bought my truck 2000 miles away sight unseen and still paid almost 2k under invoice even after shipping.

funny thing is the window sticker in the glovebox had a $2500 'Toyota Dealer Markup' added on top of MSRP. YEAH RIGHT! they will try anything that you let them get away with.

don't let them do it. it's a darn truck...not a custom-bodied Ferrari.
  • oneionei Member Posts: 11
    Thats remarkable !!! There is nothing like that around here. I really hate to travel outside the immediate area. I might go 100 miles or so if I was really saving something but beyond that is a little extreme for me. I'm definitely seeing the 2000 off MSRP on the Tundra and then some, but the Tacoma we are not seeing that around here.
    Didn't mean to upset you, last time I was there they had about 20 trucks in most configurations (they have a large parking garage). It is in Valencia, if that is Frontier, then that was the one I went too. Sorry I haven't kept a daily diary of their inventory. From what I had been reading, no one could find one, but I guess this isn't the case (especially looking at the Taco sales compared to last year). I know Santa Maria had about 15 trucks last time I looked. Compared to the 5 trucks per lot I was seeing, this seemed like a lot to me.
    Quote: Didn't mean to upset you, last time I was there they had about 20 trucks in most configurations.
    I'm sorry if it seemed like I got upset at your posting. My dog threw-up while I was writing that & I wasn't looking forward to cleaning it up.
    no problem, hope the dog is better.
  • ctn8ivctn8iv Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 05 taco d/cab long bed 4x4 w/pkg #3; msrp $27,470, invoice $25,222, purchase price $25,500. I wanted the short bed but didn't have my color or options. He dropped the $500 difference between the long and short bed in a heartbeat.
  • wctacwctac Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me which dealership you get the car at from S. Cal? I was trying to get an internet price quote from Carson, but they told me most of the Tacomas are pre-sold and they are only able to discount a little from MSRP. Thanks
    Try Frontier Toyota in Santa Clarita. They gave me a great deal. Also try Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta. They will deal also. Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys is good. Forget Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills. They thought I should be happy that they aren't marking it up over MSRP. As a last resort, Longo Toyota will give you about $1000 off MSRP, depending on which Tacoma model you want.