Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prices Paid

Comments

• gregjohnsongregjohnson Member Posts: 117
    Hi there,

Thinking about bidding on a 05 DC L/SB W/tow in Atlanta...

I'm assuming everyone's numbers are OTD. Am I [non-permissible content removed]-u-me-ing?

-G
  • oneionei Member Posts: 11
    Searched all week to find only three dealers in the Greater Phoenix area to have a 05 TACO V6 DC LB with TRD Sport pkg. Two of the three offered invoice plus 500. One offered Invoice + 100. I went with that one. Now, I got to the dealer and test drove the vehicle, loved it. Went in and he showed me what was a price sheet with an invoice of 24,505. I said I'll take it. Got back home and I had an email from the other dealer confirming what they had offered on the same vehicle, 23,711 + 500. If the 23711 was invoice what did the dealer I bought from have. I thought I had done all my homework but I may have made an assumption that the dealer showed me a valid invoice at 24,505. I think I just learned a hard valuable lesson. I'm going to try and at least call the salesman and allow him the satisfaction of trying to BS his answer. I realize I don't have a brick to stand on trying to convince him that his numbers were misrepresentation. But I have one fall back. You know that survey they preach ya to be sure and fill out with all excellents.......... Any ideas out there. At the very least everybody buying over the internet, be sure to secure the numbers via an email and sit back and compare them first. I think I blew it..... I bought at the Toyota dealership in Peoria, Az.
    Hold the presses... i may have jumped to quick on this. Apparently the 23,711 from the other dealer wasn't the same exact package with the same options. I'm feeling better now. I still can't explain the difference between what edmunds.com comes up with as an invoice price compared to what was paid but it appears at least the dealers seemed to be similar in price structure when comparing package to package. Maybe it wasn't such a bad deal. None the less, looking back, I wish I had confirmed via email the prices before taking off to the dealer. I could at least sit back and review everything in my home without the craziness of a dealership. If a dealer says "invoice", find out what that really means in numbers. This vehicle is great and rides as smooth as many of the big ones. Time will tell if it will live up to the Toyota image but so far so good.
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    OK, I must have missed something in economics classes in college about supply and demand. In the past I have always negotiated really good deals on cars, but unlike the '05 Double Cab 4x4 Taco, I've never bought a car who's average time on the lot is less than 4 days...

I'm not kidding, with the three dealers in my area the 4x4 double cabs sell at invoice (or so they say) within 4 days on average. This makes it frustratingly hard to strike any kind of deal. It almost makes me want to buy a Tundra, just so I can get it under MSRP. :-)
    oops, I meant to say that they sell at MSRP,not at invoice!
    I know your delima. If you act quickly the Tundra 1250 rebate is good through today(02/28) unless they extend it. Its much more vehicle than you may have wanted but at the price it may be well worth it. I would deal with Fleet/ internet and get them down to invoice because the lots seem to have quite a few Tundras. If you want a Tacoma you may have to wait a little. Although if you can wait it may be worth it if you desire the smaller vehicle.
  • pryme21pryme21 Member Posts: 11
    How many dealers is everyone contacting to get their rig. Has anyone used the (Fighting Chance.com)"FAX ATTACK" for an 05 Tacoma. I am interested in a 4x4 DC/LB with the TRD Sport Package #4 plus a few other options. I am in the Lake Tahoe area but am willing to go as far north as Portland OR., So cal, Las Vegas, and maybe Idaho for the best deal. Seems like these are popular rigs right now. What are people paying for this rig.
    Thanks
    And I'm curious to see what it says about the '05 Tacomas. I got a call from a local dealer letting me know that "Hey, we finally got a double cab 4x4 in stock and its not already spoken for!" I asked them to fax me their best price (yea right) and surprise, surprise, they said "no discounts due to high demand". Full retail price (no premium at least, unlike Mini Cooper 'verts) but not even the one I want...
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    2000 below MSRP is typical of what I'm hearing and offers I've gotten from dealers here in the south west.
    OK, tell me the names of dealer selling '05 4x4 Tacoma Double Cabs for $2,000 under sticker - if they're within 1,000 miles of Los Angeles, I'll fly there (free) and drive one back! =)

It seems a challenge just to find single 4x4 double cab TRD Sport LB anywhere... (and forget about other choices)
  • papasmurfpapasmurf Member Posts: 16
    So it's no 4x4 or Sport Pack but it's discounted! You do the math, free flight.
    BTW what's in it for me?

toyotaoffortworth.com/InStockDeals.asp?SiteName=toyotaoffortworth
    Geez, I can't believe the number of Tacomas they list as inventory! You guys in Texas must not like Toyota trucks very much! :-)

heh, seriously - the sheer number of available choices is staggering; though I notice NONE of them list any TRD package options. All of them are SR5 packages of one sort or another.

Another interesting thing - I noticed one listing with "Leather Interior Upgrade Incl: Leather Faced Seats, Liquicell Comfort Technology"

Whats up with that? Can anyone shed some light on this mysterious leather interior option for Tacoma trucks? That alone might be worth the drive back from Dallas.... (Heck, I'm there next month anyway on business). Does anyone know if it is more like the Pamper diaper-style Tundra Limited leather interior (all loose and flabby) or more taut and sporty like a leather version of the Tacoma "Sport" seats? I'm extremely curious...

Thanks,
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Desert Toyota in Las vegas does 500 over invoice.

Mark Miller toyota in SLC gave me a qoute for 26,500 on a truck that MSRP'd at 28,400 something.

Deal with the internet sales manager. I don't like to talk to these guys in person. I think you can cut out alot of the BS that way. Don't even go down to the lot until they've emailed you an out the door price: price of truck, dest. fee, doc fee, tax
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I can't get that link to work , but a friend just purchased a double cab V6 2wd in Dallas. Had to go to about 5 dealers to get any discount.Finally contacted a fleet manager that gave him 2% over cost.He did not get the leather.Lots of dealers here have contract's with trim shops that you could do cheaper on your own. If you do not have seat air bags that is.Does the Tacoma ?

DL
    In thinking about going out of state to buy a Tacoma, I need to make sure that they all comply with California emmissions requirements. Does anyone know if all Tacomas are 50-state certified? (or is that just an option for CA?)

Thanks
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    yes all tacos and all other cars are 50 state emissions standards, you may have to smog frequebtly though based on state law, im here in nevada so we have to do it every year, regardless on how many miles are on the car, just another way to get more money from us, but i hope this can help, bjw1
  • papasmurfpapasmurf Member Posts: 16
    sbsyncro - If you read between the lines of the SR5 packages on the DCs you'll find the Sport TRD items on some. The leather is a PIO by the Gulf States Region from Lucheese(sp), the cowboy boot maker. All Tacos have a 50 state emmission system to the best of my knowledge.
  • sleepyeddiesleepyeddie Member Posts: 1
    $338 over dealer invoice is the best I`ve heard by a long shot. Where are you located and which dealership did you go through?
  • palominopalomino Member Posts: 21
    yeah they say they have a lot of trucks. i'm in Texas. i bought my truck from a dealer in Oregon due to the lack of options here in Texas. you can have the leather ($1000 option here). i wanted side curtain airbags on a shortbed DC and could only find them in the Pacific Northwest. paid $2000 under msrp and got exactly what i wanted. i am thrilled with the truck.

TRD Sport #2 on a DC/Shortbed with option GY (side airbags) and DZ (6disc radio) with floormats.

btw...if you drive mostly on the street the mechanical LSD is excellent. the truck performs great in the rain.
    Interesting. The local dealer here bascially told me that side airbags and stereos other than the basic unit are unavailable with the Tacoma (even though they are listed as options by Toyota)

The only thing coming on Double Cabs around here are SR5 #3 and #8, TRD Sport #1, #3, and (rarely) TRD Sport #4. That's it (other than little PIO stuff like bike racks and floor mats)
    I just bought the fightingchance.com kit (more out of curiosity than anything) and it has a lot of really good information. Has anyone tried the "fax attack" to get a Tacoma?

I'm wondering if waiting til the end of the month will make much of a difference... (or if the fax attack will make much of a difference).
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    I know the feeling. I live just outside St. Louis and the dealer in town cannot keep Tacos on the lot. He sells them in less than a week! I have seen 4 of them already. I ordered mine as an SR-5 and had the side curtains put in at the factory. The dealer parked my Taco up in front on the sales lot for one day because he wanted folks to see what they looked like. Mine is the first long bed he had. All the others have been Access or Shortbeds. And if Taco recalled 22,000 for the parking brake adjustment, there must be thousands more owners out there with them in their garages.

Mine went to to Soft Trim for a moonroof installation. I had one installed on my last Taco and I really liked it. I used the moonroof more than the windows.

I should close on the deal tomorrow. Indigo Blue...my old dog will really like flapping his ears and showing his tongue in the bed of this baby. Now if I can just train him to stop hiking his right leg up on the Frontiers...

B
  • balboabalboa Member Posts: 2
    Prerunner Accesscab SR5(Pckg # 4) I4 5spd, mats and truck pad.

MSRP + Destination fee $20,900

Paid $19,300

1600 off was considered a good deal to me.

1000 off MSRP and got rid of destination charge of 565.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Bought my 05 DC V-6 4X4 Longbed Taco right off the truck in Milwaukee for $26,500.Indigo Ink Pearl,TRD Sport 4,5 spd auto,a dream come true.Used to be a chevy man,what a mistake.Taco is the best truck I've ever owned.No problems,no leaks,no noise,just a fine ride.Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee is the place to go.Several Short Box DC 4X4's,No Long Box's,I bought the only one they ever saw.Sticker was $29,940.00.
  • aa00aa00 Member Posts: 30
    Get this...Had my truck(silver d/c shortbed trd offroad #2, rails) on order since Dec. Was called early yesterday to say it was in, only to be called several hours later to say it came in wrong!! Has sport#2 instead of offroad #2. Can't beleive it...They are supposed to be checking on how they correct this problem. Yeah right...I don't see how other than reordering. Would probably be another 2 months or so for that. Will try to upgrade truck as payback if that is the case. Just thought I would vent...Thanks...
  • echohannahechohannah Member Posts: 6
    Looking for PreRunner Access Cab or Double Cab, 4cyc and 5-speed. Is it hard to find in Bay Area?
  • 3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    I asked my local dealer his bottom line price on an 05, DC, 4x4, SR5 #8, with limited slip. He told me $26,600 and said that it was his cost (invoice). I told him that the invoice was $25,379 and he asked me if it was from Edmunds. I told him it was from Edmunds and he said that advertising cost was included in the price that he gave me, which is included nationwide.

Is this true? When people on here say they bought their truck for invoice or X$ over invoice, was it Edmunds invoice or the dealers invoice? I think that a lot of people on here think they are getting invoice and are getting dealer invoice instead of true invoice.

If my dealer is telling the truth, which I'm sure their not, is Toyota's advertising cost really $1,200 per vehicle? I think not!

The Frontier is definitely looking better!

Should I go to another dealer or just buy the Nissan (which I can buy at edmunds invoice) and get the same exact truck plus 25 more horses with 87 octane @ $2,500 less?
  • manarakimanaraki Member Posts: 40
    It isn't 1200.00, but there is an advertising cost of roughly 521.00 + 6.00 for gas. They charge 527.00 on all their trucks. At least that is what I have had 4 seperate dealerships tell me. I think it is a crock of sh#*, but what can you do.
    So manaraki, you are getting invoice + $527? If you are, I would take it. My dealer is telling me that I'm getting invoice plus advertising (1,200), which is a crock of Shi*. Are dealers in your area really going Edmunds invoice + $527? If so, what part of the US to you live. I am in the Southeast (LA).
    In Louisiana (I assume that is what you mean by "LA") your dealer is a member of the "Gulf States Toyota" distributor network. Your dealer pays extra money to this "middle man" . Some of this extra money (specifically from Gulf States) includes a 10% surcharge on the MSRP of all port installed options (listed as "PIO" on Edmunds). There is also an "administrative fee" or "MAF fee" that is just over 1% of the base MSRP. You'll also find that destination charges are a little higher than elsewhere. You will also find that they tend to load their vehicles up with a lot of crap like "Toyo guard" packages that are not optional that include the BS junk like paint lusterizing and other useless options just to jack up the price.

If I lived in Louisiana, I'd go out of state to compare prices (like in Tennessee). You may find you can save a lot of money if you are willing to do a bit of driving. Bottom line, though - these extra charges are being passed onto the dealer by the middle man, so in essence he is telling you the truth.

By the way, I got this information from http://www.fightingchance.com and their packet on the Tacoma. It is a very worthwhile investment if you are looking to get the best deal!
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I'm looking to buy a Taco DC 4x4 SB V6.

Is there really a ride difference between the Sports package & Offroad package or is it just the cosmetics? I only been able to test drive offroad package have not seen a sport.

Thanks in advance for your comments guys & gals
  • jeremyr3jeremyr3 Member Posts: 2
    I just read through this thread and realized that I did get a really good deal on my truck.
    I ordered a Prerunner Access Cab V6 Auto with the TRD Off-road package #2 with Tow, in Impulse Red.
    MSRP is $24,970, and I paid exactly $250 over dealer invoice. I originally wanted the OR package #1 which was cheaper, but it was not available in my area. The dealer was trying to sell off as many cars before the end of the month, and they could sense I was about to get up and leave, so they gave me that deal. Dealing with internet sales manager seems to be the way to go. BTW, the dealer was Toyota of Greenville in South Carolina.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    MAF is the Market Action Fund, Toyota add fees
    TDA would be the local add fees the the dealer group uses to offer rebates and run adds and promos. If you see a commericail that says it is bropught to you by the "North Texas dealers asso" than that is being paid for by the TDA fund. Federal law requires Toyota to break the invoice down as to actual vehicle cost and fees charged to it

Why would you spend money to get an better deal? sound like some one is posting there own little commercail here
  • cwbrow2cwbrow2 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know of a good dealer in Missouri to get a good price on a Tacoma? Doesn't matter where in MO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I couldn't locate any members in this discussion who specifically stated that they bought their truck in MO; however, there's a member called "buffalonickel" who hangs out on our Toyota Tacoma 2005+ thread, and he has been shopping in the St. Louis area for awhile. Unfortunately for consumers, they've been selling like hotcakes around here.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Gulf States Toyota is crap. It seems they control the wishes of the consumer in the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississipi, and Arkansas. Between the dealer and the restrictions placed on my purchasing power by Gulf States Toyota, I began looking outside their monopoly for the truck I wanted.

I found exactly what I wanted on a dealer lot in Oregon. I am thrilled with my purchase which was found at a reasonalbe $2000 under MSRP. It has no silly options installed on it. No junk packages priced out of sight.

I guess Gulf States Toyota assumes we are a bunch of dumb truck-driving hicks in their states. I hope they realize the money they have lost in the frustration of the consumer. They are quite simply a middle-man...and not one that provides a good selection.

My 2005 TRD Sport #2 DC SB Tacoma is great. The buying experience and selection in Texas and surrounding states is not.

Best of luck.
  • cwbrow2cwbrow2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Kirstie.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Just curoius, did you ever ask some one to order in one with just the package you wanted or did you just assume you had to buy one that was one the lot?
    If you talk to a fleet or internet manager at any dealer in Gulf States they will bring a truck in with
    out the gulf states packages if that is what you want.
    The price I recieved of $1,200 over invoice was on an ordered truck and not one on the lot. I was ordering a CC 4x4, SR5#8 (Limited Slip, towing, alum. rims). I was not even getting floor mats.
    as a matter of fact, i did try the ordering process. it was an absolute joke.

it was at that point that i stopped playing games and made the dealers work for my money instead of being another 'showroom floor puppet'.

it was a bit of work, but worth every effort. i got exactly what i wanted and nothing i didn't. i also got the price i wanted and no more b.s. lines.

don't let the dealers make you think it's such a pain to get you what you want. they just take the easiest path with the most profit.

always remember...the dealers aren't your friends and are not interested in becoming your pal. they only want your money. it's all business.
    I was only inquiring about a new Tacoma to see how much I could save when I buy a used one. Buying a new vehicle is very foolish! Especially when a new model comes out. I will let the person who buys a new Tacoma take the hit on depreciation and then I will buy my next.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I'm currently trying to deal with a couple dealers in the Cincinnati Ohio area, on a 05 Double Cab 4X4 TRD Sport package #2. The MSRP is $29,315. I got the dealer down to $27,012, plus free floor mats, ha ha. I can't believe floormats aren't standard. That price doesn't include tax, title, etc. Anyway, does this sound like a pretty good deal? It does to me.
  • tjaybtjayb Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let you know I've been looking for two months in the eastern Ohio area and from what I have found that sounds like a good deal. Might be ordering mine from a Pittsburgh dealer. I'm looking for the same package as you. If you could post what dealership you are dealing with I would appreciate it. Thanks and good luck. Also is this truck on the lot or do they have to acquire it for you?
  • jillmcmjillmcm Member Posts: 2
    Hadn't found any comments from PA on this thread so nothing to compare to, but I just bought a 4x4 access cab 5 speed manual with the SR5 #2 package for $22K flat. I probably could have wheedled a little bit more off if I put another week into it, but I was sick of the whole process, internet or not. I also found that a lot of the internet salespeople were not very interested in pursuing the sale on line; I ended up having to resort to calling (and calling, and calling). This seems like a tough truck to get ahold of. Anyway, I'm happy with having bought my first truck!
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    I am being quoted $28,800 + Tax & Lic (which is around 10%) in Southern California:

05 Tacoma Double cab Long bed
    4X4 V6 Auto
    TRD Sport Package #4
    Optional equipment:
    Curtain side airbags &
    JBL in dash 6-cd Premium Audio

This would be a 8-10 week wait which is no big deal. I dont think I am getting a steal, but it seems reasonable. TMV is stating invoice would be $27.5 how close are they on there prices? Any advice before I take the plunge would be appreciated.
    Thanks,1236
    That is exactly the truck I am looking for, and that sounds like a decent price but not stellar. However, I haven't even been able to FIND the truck in SoCal (or find a dealer willing to "preference" it for me), so take what I am saying with a grain of salt... (I'm waiting to the last week of the month to try my luck at buying)

I assume the stereo upgrade is the "EJ" option code which invoices at $375 and MSRPs at $500

The side curtain airbags ("GY") add $559/$650

Invoice on that car is $27,026/MSRP $33,316

With Dealer Holdback and "Wholesale Financial reserve, plus the $1,774 margin over invoice, the dealer is making $2,531.50 on the deal, which is pretty fat. I'd throw those numbers at him, ask for a better offer, and then be prepared to walk away and see what they do.

Negotiate it over the phone - DON'T go down there. And when you settle on the price, tell them to give you the exact amount as if you were going to have a cashier's check made out in advance. Otherwise you will probably get the hard sell and end up with $3,000 worth of crap you don't need like "lusterizing treatments" and so on.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Also let me know the dealer - I may call them myself!
    sbsyncro thanks for the advice, this is proof why this site is so invaluable. My initial quote was $29.9 & they dropped $1100 when I told them I am confident I can obtain the truck for $28,000.(even if it entails a 300 mile drive) This was the only dealer out of 4 that was prepared to cut me some slack on a special order, it's hard enough to locate this particular truck in Southern CA. then when you mention the airbags(GY)
    & the stereo(EJ)it's just not out there. I think $28,000 is fair considering MSRP. I am in no rush..... which I have found from past experience is a good thing. I must say out of all the dealerships I dealt with, these guys seemed totally up front. I still have a few more irons in the fire & will keep you guys up to date on the outcome.
    F.Y.I. Speak to the Internet/Fleet Manager at Toyota Carlsbad. Thanks & good luck!
    Please do, as I said, this is EXACTLY the truck I am looking for, and I plan to call dealers in the LA area toward the end of the month and see if any of them will deal. I'll be real curious to see what kind of deal you get and how long it takes you to get the truck. My dealer here in Santa Barbara is really wishy-washy about special ordering - he basically acts like he doesn't really know what he'll get until it arrives!

Part of my problem is I am also struggling over the Tacoma vs Tundra question. I really love the Taco, but I worry that it won't be big enough for family trips to skiing and camping. My kids are in elementary school, but I'll plan to have the truck until they are in high school. (maybe even college!) :-)
    Well..... the dealer will not move on $28,800
    I went back at them quoting dealer holdback etc. To which they replied.

After consulting with upper management, due the large demand and short availability on that model, they would not be able to offer a lower price than previously quoted.
    If you would like to consider a less costly configuration such as the SR5 package, you would be closer to your target price.

I will consider this over the weekend, I guess it's all about supply & demand & there's certainly a demand for this truck in Southern California. With regard to the Tundra I can speak from experience, I bought a 04 Crew 4X4 TRD SR5 in August of last year. I too have kids. To be honest it's just to much truck for me I would in no way have considered the Tacoma at that time but now with 200lbs less towing capacity & 4 more miles to the gallon I'm sold. I have it in the Trader this week so with a bit of luck I will be out 3-4 grand but at least I will have something I will enjoy driving. You can always pick up a small trailer for about $1000 if you are concerned about space on trips.
    Good luck
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    what kind of milage were you getting with the Tundra?