Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prices Paid

Comments

• qsteeleqsteele Member Posts: 3
    Wayzrider, I'm in the market for a 2003 Tacoma & live in the Sacramento area. Curious where you live & where you purchased yours.
  • wavzriderwavzrider Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Santa Cruz, got the truck in Gilroy. I got my Longo quote and started hunting for lower prices in my area via fleet/internet sales people. I find them much easier since they don't have to "run it by the boss" or whatever the rigamaroll is. They seem to have a clearer idea of how low they can go...

They should be frantic to sell as the month runs down and the $1000 rebate runs its course. Unless they extend it. ;-)

Good luck, hope you get a great deal!

=wr=
  • qsteeleqsteele Member Posts: 3
    Got my quote from Longos & now am looking for exactly the right model. The Northern California Toyota site is a pain, so I've been searching through whatever dealerships have inventory on the web. Also, disappointed to find out that the $1000 rebate doesn't apply to doublecabs. Looking to buy an impulse red v6 doublecab.
  • alkoalko Member Posts: 13
    I bought 2 new toyotas during last 1.5 years
    (2002 Tacoma PreRunner & 2003 Corolla LE).
    In both cases paid invoice prices.

It took about an hour for the Dealer to get down from MSRP to invoice and was not very hard really. Just stick to your guns and make sure the dealer understands that you can walk away at any time. All attempts to negotiate below invoice have failed though.

My advice - do not pay a penny above invoice!
    They already have the dealer holdback + factory-to-dealer discount + advertising fee + other crap.
    Plus they will "milk" you in the future on maintenance and repairs...
  • pjripplepjripple Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2004 Tacoma V6 xtra cab 4x4 5 spd, TRD. MSRP $24,562. Paid $22,000 (after $500 rebate) + tax, etc. Bought from Camelback Toyota in Phoenix, AZ. I was very pleased with my experience. I live in Las Vegas, and after the dealers here wouldn't back off of their $1,500 over invoice + $700 doc fee (I think half of this was for VIN etching that I was not interest in), I began looking outside of LV. Saved enough to pay for my girlfriend and myself to fly and drive back (and some!). We were at the dealership for maybe 20 minutes. I showed up with check in hand, signed the paperwork and drove away. No BS from the finance dept., no trying to sell me extended warranties. The internet/fleet department was awesome to work with...on the first phone call, the salesperson faxed me the invoice of my truck (which was also the sales price). We are considering buying a Highlander in the near future...will definitely bypass the local doc-fee-happy dealers here and go elsewhere. BTW, could have done a little on price in So. California due to $1000 rebate, but wanted to go to AZ for personal reasons (to visit friends).
  • tuan5100tuan5100 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking for 2003 toyota tacoma.
    double cap v6 4x4 with of road pkg, ix pkg cq pkg and floor mats. they asking for $22999.00 plus tax and tilte.
    i offer them 22k out the door.
    it is good enough or too low for them.
    i live in columbus, ohio
    thanks
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I'm considering a purchase of a Tacoma Prerunner V6 crew cab 2WD and am amazed at how they hold their value. I just priced a Prerunner V6 2WD crew cab with no options:

2004 $18300 TMV
    2003 $18021 12K miles, certified, gold color
    2002 $17108 24K miles, certified, gold color
    2001 $16447 36K miles, certified, gold color

Why even buy a used Tacoma when for just a little more you can get a new one? Yeah, I know Toyotas rep. for reliability (I'm a Honda man myself), but even a 2-3 yr old vehicle will soon need a fair amount of maint.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Figure out the invoice price of the truck with all packages. Then give 3% on top of that (dealer has 2% holdback so they make 2% on every truck even if they sell it for invoice.) for 5% profit for dealer. This is the price you offer to the dealer, and then you add all applicable rebates.
    Thats what I did, and I bought my 2002 (in Dec 2001) for 21.4 (SR5, TRD, V6 5spd) when MSRP for it was well over 23K.
  • ceejayceejay Member Posts: 2
    Lunar Mist with V6 Auto, DCab, TRD, SR5, floor mats, power doors/windows, spray-on bedliner, bed extender for $21998 + tax/fees.

I went back and forth w/3-4 dealers. I'll purchase future vehicles through the Internet from now on. The whole process was so easy.
  • rumpletzerrumpletzer Member Posts: 39
    I'm looking for a 2004 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and power packages, and I live near the Camarillo, CA area. I'd prefer to start the deal through the Internet, but the dealerships in the area seem to be linked, the Web sites are generic, and they don't lead me to Internet contacts.

Am I missing something? Has anyone had a good experience buying through the Internet in the Camarillo, Ventura, Thousand Oaks areas? Or, maybe a fleet dealer in the Los Angeles or Ventura counties?
  • ceejayceejay Member Posts: 2
    Rumpletzer- I had multiple offers from Longo in El Monte, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego. All of them were Internet sales. Just forward your quote request, sit back, and wait for the quotes to come in. Then, start with the lowest and work from there. Most dealers want your business so they'll try and beat each other's prices. I actually got more than I originally asked for (Linex, bed extender, alarm, TRD package).
  • stygzstygz Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2004 Tacoma double cab, Limited with the TRD package 4X4 and got it for $26,460 out the door.
  • clearance_itemclearance_item Member Posts: 5
    If you are going to respond to this please e-mail me at [email protected]. I found a dealer with 13 fully loaded 4x4 tacomas left over from 2003 brand new with 11 miles on them. who cares but the sticker price is $25,545, I told the dealer I will pay $20,500 and no higher, the dealer told me $21,900 possible $21,400, but I will not budge on my price, what do you think of my situation and what direction do you think I should go. I dont know what the invoice is, but I will throw in this piece of info just for laughs. The dealer told me that the $21,900 is a steal and I should get down there ASAP before they sell them all for $23,000 (lets get real its April 2004 already)
  • spyd3rm4nspyd3rm4n Member Posts: 5
    21,400 sounds like a bit much, especially for a 2003. My father bought a brand new loaded Tacoma 4x4 (2.7L Auto)in 2002 for just above $20,000.

I just purchased a 2004 Tacoma 4x2 XtraCab 2.4L Automatic for $16,250. That included the SR5 Chrome Package (LX), Convenience Package (CQ - Power Windows & Locks, Tachometer, Sliding Rear Window, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control), Bucket Seats (BU), and Carpet Floormats (CF - which is NOT worth ~$90)

This price isn't something amazing that I can go brag about, especially since this is the last model year for the current style Tacoma. I do feel that the price is OK though.

This truck reminds me of a car with a bed in the back. The gas mileage is good for a truck, but the 2.4L and 2.7L engines definitely lack power for any heavy duty hauling.
  • clearance_itemclearance_item Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for responding, but when you add in 4x4 add $2000 then add in V6 engine add $2000 and I am basically at my price compared to yours, do happen to remember what you paid for dealer fees and all of that crap before they gave you the keys to drive home? What state did you buy it in
  • clseibclseib Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the current $1000 rebate on Tacoma will really end on May 3 like Toyota says? Or is it just a marketing tactic to get people to hurry and buy now but then just keep extending it?
  • nidatcnidatc Member Posts: 3
    Toyota will not extend the date of a rebate. Pay attention to the rebate "window" and purchase before the rebate expires. Don't fret if you miss the deadline though. Another rebate opportunity will present itself in the near future.
    Options: SR5 w/Chrome
             TRD Off-Road
             Convenience Package
             Bucket seats
             Carpet floor mats

Dealers MSRP sticker: $22,756
    Invoice: $20,423
    Negotiated price: $20,342

I made a phone call to the Fleet Manager at Sierra Toyota in Lancaster, CA, and I ultimately negotiated a price of $20,133. They didn't have the truck on the lot, but would have to drive it up from San Diego. She e-mailed the price breakdown of the truck, which I then presented to my home town Toyota dealer, who happened to have the exact same truck on his lot. The sales manager was not at all happy with that price, and I couldn't get him to match it. The best he could do was $20,342. I based my decision on the fact that my home town dealer is only a 15 minute walk from my house, and the Lancaster dealer is a 90 minute drive. I also wanted to support my local business. He threw in free lube, oil & filter for a year.

Remember, do your homework. I spent a lot of time at Edmunds.com, checking prices and researching. Knowledge is power. During negotiations, the sales mgr. came down further on his price after I mentioned the profit they earned on "holdback". A little bluffing doesn't hurt, either. :)
    What was your "out the door" price, including any and all dealer and Toyota add-ons, tax, tag & title? I've never bought a Toyota (looking at the Highlander and Tacoma) and what I've seen here in central Florida is that the dealers add on all kinds of crap fees.
    My out-the-door price was $21,330.06 This includes tax (7.25%), license ($225),documentation ($45), and we here in CA have a $1 per tire "tire tax", so counting the spare tire (!) that's an additional $5.

I refused to pay the $196 "TDA" (Toyota Dealer Advertising), and the dealer eventually backed off.

Use the Edmunds "build your vehicle" tool that gives you the breakdown of each option on your vehicle. Pay no attention to the MSRP, but only utilize the invoice price. Remember the "holdback" which is 2% of the base MSRP. Edmunds has a good article on how to figure it out. The holdback on my vehicle was $359. ie:, If Toyota sold me the vehicle at invoice, they would still make a profit of $359, so don't let the saleman cry that they are "losing money on the deal" by selling at invoice.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • camroccamroc Member Posts: 1
    I had been searching around all over southern california all the way up to San Luis Obispo for this exact truck and I found that it was a rather hot commodity and the limiteds would sell out fairly quick. I recieved an online ad from the dealer in Ventura quoting $500 dollars under invoice. I was extremely skeptical and when I called other dealers to see if they could match it they called the specific dealers name and said, "He is Lying!" I had the guy in my hometown of santa barbara only down to $300 over invoice. So I went down to ventura and then stop at longo further south but when I got to ventura the internet saleman was true to his word!

I Paid:
    OTD 23,982.00
  • 4x4chris4x4chris Member Posts: 10
    Black'01 tacoma xtra cab 4x4 SR5
    V6 5 speed manual Trd
    power options
    plus a camper

45k miles
     No accidents! supposedly in good condition
    havent test drove or inspected it yet but
    really considering to buy this!
    Let me know what u think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You might try posting this in forum "Real World Trade In Values". There's some very knowledgeable folks there, specifically Terry. Be sure to include location info.
  • 4x4chris4x4chris Member Posts: 10
    i'll do that, thanks mikefm58
    i appreciate the help!
    I just bought a 2004 Prerunner Xtracab 4x2 4 cyl, options include (LX) SR5 chrome package, (ST) 16" styled steel wheels, (WR) sliding rear window w/privacy glass, and carpet mats.

MSRP $19680
    Price 17614
    Dealer fee 700
    tax tag & title 1383
    rebate -1000
                   ------
    Out the door 18697
  • columbustacocolumbustaco Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a Dbl Cab 4X4 in Columbus, Ohio. It has a V6, Conv. package, SR5 color-keyed package, TRD off-road package, carpet floor mats, and bedliner.

MSRP = 27,156
    Inv. = 24,300
    Price = 24,000
    Doc. fee = 100
    Ohio Sales tax = 1627
    Title = 15
    OTD = 25,742
  • sandsvegassandsvegas Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Tacoma Extracab, 2WD, 4 Cyl, 5 Speed.
    Got the SR5 w/Chrome, Bed Liner, Bed Extender,Cruise Control, Styled Steel Wheels, Carpet Floor Mats, Bucket Seats, Spare tire Lock, Lunar Mist color.
    Includes a 6 (six)Year, 75,000 miles Plat Wrap Around extended warranty
    Out The Door was $17,044.00 .... (includes all tax, doc fees, rebate) The truck had 1700 miles on it from previous owner who failed to get the financing. Since it was not ever registered with DMV, still classified as NEW. Suppose that is why they gave me the 6 year 75000 mile warranty.
    Have not checked to see what the DMV wants yet to register.
    Finding the truck was very difficult, few left or high demand ?? Purchased from major dealer here in Las Vegas. Only thing I was a little up-tight with was the part of doc fee that is nothing more than a theft insurance. I fee like I got a good deal and I guess that is all the really counts.
  • rollyso2rollyso2 Member Posts: 7
    Just wondering if anyone could provide guidance on a used Tacoma? I'm looking at a 1998 SR5 V6 X-Cab with TRD, 5-spd., all power, etc. Ask is $9,000.
  • antmanantman Member Posts: 1
    01 DoubleCab Limited V6 Auto
    2WD w Rear Locking Diff
    TRD Offroad Package
    Snug Top
    All Power, Fully Loaded
    Matching SnugTop, Bedliner
    Alloy Wheels
    Silver
    Very Clean

$18,000 from private seller. I needed to take it in for the 30,000k service, which I'm glad I did, since they found a leaky water pump which was then replaced under warranty. Other than that, the vehicle seems to be in exceptional condition. Carfax was clean. I'm very pleased with this purchase thus far.
  • gmbakergmbaker Member Posts: 1
    this will be my first truck purchase and could use some help. I am considering buying a
    04 tacoma double cab with
    LL Limited Package,
    OF TRD Off-Road Package
    DH Towing Receiver Hitch (Class II)
    LU Bedliner (Under the Rail)
    FB High 4 Selector Switch
    CF Carpet Floor Mats
    WI Spare Tire Lock

dealer is looking for $25,000 includes $500 rebate. I live in Boston, the MSRP accoridng to this site is $25,667, is this a good deal, anything else I should consider. thanks
  • izenizen Member Posts: 1
    I would hold out for a much better price break on a leftover 04 model. Dealers are finding it almost imposible to moove them.

Since the new and completely revised and improved 05 models have come out the resale on the older styles has dropped significantly. Even before they came out last summer I was looking at a couple hundred under invoice or about $2k under MSRP for the old model.

check the price that the 04s are selling for on this site or someplace like carsdirect and I think you will find that no one is paying anything close to MSRP on 04s.
  • Last Tacoma I helped a friend buy (last year) I bought for invoice (u can get invoice price from edmunds), less the rebate. I can't imagine why u couldn't buy one for that now, since the 2005s are out. I used to sell cars, and help all my friends buy theirs now.
  • bosox3bosox3 Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a black 05 Dbl Cab 4X4 Short Bed 6 speed manual Off-Road Package. Here's the details.

MSRP-28,509

Our purchase price= 26,650+ 5% WV sales tax
    with floor mats and cargo net included. Price already includes the 565 handling/delivery fee.

We have 4 dealers in this area. After getting this price I called around. One dealer didn't even have the truck in yet, one said the best they could do was 27,500, the other said 26,700. All dealerships here have VERY limited selection. The one that I bought is the first 05 this dealership is getting. Arrives soon?.

I know that if we had waited later in the year we probably could have got a better deal, but my wife just totaled our last car (she's ok) and we had to buy now. Anyway, does that sound like a decent deal? Thanks, hope this info helps others.
  • tsikestsikes Member Posts: 3
    Need help w/ cost of a 05 Double Cab w/OG Package. I've been to 3-different dealerships in the Phoenix,AZ area. SS Toyota/Tempe Toyota/Big Two Toyota. The best deal is w/ SS Toyota which is offering me $24,200 for the 05 Tacoma. The salesperson states that's just $400 over his cost. Do you think this is the best deal I'm going to get or should try and negotiate for less?
  • bosox3bosox3 Member Posts: 5
    I assume it is the 2 wheel drive. If it is the 4 wheel drive then you are getting one heck of a deal.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    The current Toyota rebate is $1,000 according to this site. For $25,000, I assume that this price also includes automatic transmission and 4-wheel drive (which you will need in Boston, 2 WD's have horrendous traction). Depending on availability, you could probably do a little bit better. I haven't seen many 04' Tacomas left on the lots here (Louisiana). Tell the dealer you are looking at an 04' Nissan Frontier 4x4 if he doesn't come down on the price. The reliability is reported to be as good and they don't nickel and dime you with all of the options.
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    I received quotes from two dealers in western Washington for $600 over invoice. Try Kelly Blue Book website or Consumers Report Car Buying Kit for invoice prices. Kelly Blue Book is free.

I placed an order with the dealer who was located in a better sales tax area. Vehicle delivery due the end of January 2005. MSRP $33,500. My price $29,732.
  • dctacodctaco Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my Double Cab 4x4 auto with the Off-Road Package #2. I had to wait over a month for it to come in(it had to be white). options include 6-disc changer, bed mat, Exhaust tip, and floor mats. Invoice price was $26,688. I paid $27,008 which includes $144 for dealer locate fee, $124 title & doc fee and a few pennies over invoice for the dealer. I know they have there holdbacks, but I still thought this was a good deal. Another dealer was going to charge me around $700+ over invoice.

I love the truck. Rides great! Steering wheel seams a little close to the dash, but no big deal. It's nice to have all the useful storage compartments inside. Maybe I'll actually be able to keep all my tools organized in my truck.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I bought a 2005 taco from a dealer costco sent me to. After I found the one i wanted he said the 2005's taco's were excluded from costco deal! I emailed costco auto people and they said 2005 tacos were included in the costco deal...anyone have any information on this?
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    I used different zip codes at Costco's website to obtain the names of the Costco reps at various dealerships from Tacoma, WA to Vancouver, WA. Only two of them provided me quotes: one in Tacoma at $600 over invoice, and one in Vancouver at $500 under MSRP. When I asked the salesman in Vancouver if his price was the Costco price, he lied and told me yes. I believe that he lied because Sam's Club in Auburn, WA had a vehicle displayed in front of their store, and it was about $2,500 under MSRP. These two stores are competitive in pricing.

I thought I might go the Costco route, but the secretive pricing left a bad taste in my mouth. Evidently, each salesman makes their own "contract" with Costco on their prices.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Yeah what a scam...thanks for your' reply.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you have other questions, you might check out our topic on Purchasing Programs (Costco, AAA, etc)

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sbernsteinsbernstein Member Posts: 17
    Coinneach:

Can you please email the dealers you have quotes from? I am in the Western Washington area as well. Thanks.
  • rangertimothyrangertimothy Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 12/30/04 from a non-Toyota dealer in Sonora California:

2004 Tacoma ExtraCab 4x4

Gold

5 spd, 6 cyl, SR5

PW, PDL, power mirrors, keyless entry, cruise, a/c, tilt wheel

TRD, diff. lock, tow package, snuglid hard tonneau cover, slider window

cd/cassette w/ front and rear speakers

floor mats

3047 miles-first sold 9/8/04

Asking price: $23,999 plus tax, etc.

Price paid: $21,250 plus tax ($1547), doc ($45), and DMV transfer ($15)
  • lookinwantinlookinwantin Member Posts: 1
    Just started looking, but would like to find a good used double cab tacoma for around $10,000 - $12,000. Live in Alabama but would drive to get if price is right. Can you all help???
  • ah1ah1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2005 dbl. cab 4x4 LB with the PK package (Sport/TRD/Tow). I have had difficulty finding this vehicle at a dealer in So.Cal. A local dealer said he could order the vehicle (4-6 week delivery window), but does not seem motivated and has not placed the order in the time frame he first provided. Any information people can provide re going this route to obtain a vehicle would be appreciated. I would also be interested in the price paid.
  • xrunnerfanxrunnerfan Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to buy an X-Runner and I want to know what other people are paying for the 2005 truck. I've already placed on hold on a Radiant Red one. When it comes in, I want to be prepared for negotiations, if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • xrunnerfanxrunnerfan Member Posts: 3
    I too was looking for a Dbl. Cab Long Bed. That configuration in So. Cal. seems to be a rare model. All the dealers I contacted all say a shipment is coming in mid to late this month and even then only a couple in that model. I did find one Dbl. Cab LB, w/ PK package in White. (I wanted Indigo Ink.) So instead I've opted for the X-Runner from the same dealer. Email me for info if you like the White one.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Here in Missouri I have seen some doublecabs and some access cabs. One dealer had two of them delivered as "sold." I think the dealers are of the opinion that supply is thin and demand is high. And as a result they are telling us to dig deeper into our pockets. So I think it wise to consider patience. In three months these things will be all over the place and once again we can drive from lot to lot and pick our choice.

By the way, what color/interior combinations are you folks looking at?

B
  • orcldudeorcldude Member Posts: 1
    As usual, I feel the dealer confused me to their benefit. I bought a Tacoma, which I like, but the deal was trade-in plus $2,500. After checking the numbers, I see the $2,500 isn't there but the trade-in is (value - owed). The dealer has tried to explain the 'deal' and still doesn't make any sense to me. It looks like somehow the dealer equates my trade-in with the value of the new Tacoma where the difference is $2,500 and turns the deal around to get the $2,500 back. Anyone else experience this? So they say will give you $2,500, but in turn doesn't.