Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    Guys... I took the 2002 Tacoma in today. The same tech that drove it the first time and foamed the ECU drove it again. He agreed with me that the noise is still there, but this time he went ahead and ordered a new dash. The said that Toyota had a bulliten up stating that it was a common problem, and to order new dashes. So he didn't question me, just ordered it and it will be here in a week. I'll let you know what happens.

By the way... has anyone had a problems with noisy/squeaky/rattling leaf springs.

Yosmany
    2002 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
  • yosmanyyosmany Member Posts: 13
    I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with squeaky/noisy leafsprings. The dealership tells me that the noise is normal, and the leafsprings are just dirty. Has anyone else been told something like this? Also, there is a wobbling sound coming from the bed of the truck/rear axle. Has anyone else experienced this problem as well?
  • sflipsflip Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else out there having bad experiences with their Tundra? I have a 2000 SR5, and it's been a constant headache. I've been in the shop more times in two years than I was in 10 years with my 1986 Ford F150. The car is only 30 months old. At 37000 miles my battery shorted out and I had to get towed. At 37500 miles I'm told I have a crack in my exhaust manifold and it will cost me $900 to fix it. Toyota customer service says too bad, it's out of warranty. This POC is falling apart just weeks after it's out of warranty!!!

Bad brakes, bad paint, door rattles, a dip stick that's the wrong size so for the first year I had one quart too much in the engine (why we don't get a class action suit against Toyota for the yet TBD damage this foul up is going to cause, I don't know), door panels that fade and wear, seat belts that won't retract...it just seems to go on and on. This has been the worst truck I've ever owned. I paid extra for a Toyota because of the quality reputation, but that's evidently a bunch of bunk. How much does Consumer Reports magazine get paid off to publish their lies, claiming that the Tundra is better quality?

The really bad part is, I don't think Ford, Chevy or Dodge are really any better. Everything being made is junk, and the manufacturers don't feel like they need to stand behind their promises. Toyota is living off their reputation, but it won't be long until people wise up. Is it because they're being assembled in the USA now that they're turning into junk?

Signed: Never gonna buy a Toyota again
  • sflipsflip Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else out there having bad experiences with their Tundra? I have a 2000 SR5, and it's been a constant headache. I've been in the shop more times in two years than I was in 10 years with my 1986 Ford F150. The car is only 30 months old. At 37000 miles my battery shorted out and I had to get towed. At 37500 miles I'm told I have a crack in my exhaust manifold and it will cost me $900 to fix it. Toyota customer service says too bad, it's out of warranty. This POC is falling apart just weeks after it's out of warranty!!!

Bad brakes, bad paint, door rattles, a dip stick that's the wrong size so for the first year I had one quart too much in the engine (why we don't get a class action suit against Toyota for the yet TBD damage this foul up is going to cause, I don't know), door panels that fade and wear, seat belts that won't retract...it just seems to go on and on. This has been the worst truck I've ever owned. I paid extra for a Toyota because of the quality reputation, but that's evidently a bunch of bunk. How much does Consumer Reports magazine get paid off to publish their lies, claiming that the Tundra is better quality?

The really bad part is, I don't think Ford, Chevy or Dodge are really any better. Everything being made is junk, and the manufacturers don't feel like they need to stand behind their promises. Toyota is living off their reputation, but it won't be long until people wise up. Is it because they're being assembled in the USA now that they're turning into junk?

Signed: Never gonna buy a Toyota again
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Sorry that you had a bad experience. Wonder why the only six posts that you've ever made to this forum happen to all be the same message. Advise that you look at the upcoming full-size Honda or Nissan pickups that are to come out in mid- to late-2003. You could also look at Dodge since they seem to be getting their act together.

I've gone the Ford and GM route and know those rocky paths all to well. Is any truck perfect? NO!!! However, I've had excellent performance from my Tundra. Many others have also or Toyota would not have the reputation that they have EARNED.

I would also suggest that you try to work WITH the service manager and/or the Zone rep. I did this in 1991 concerning a Grand Caravan and they bent over backwards to assist me. It helped a great deal to be very civil with them and to document everything. Any company is more willing to assist the CONCERNED customer who wants to stay with them as opposed to the SCREAMER who is cursing them and leaving no matter what they do. Facts win in business and emotion has no place in business. Treat them in a business way and they will be fair.

Good luck in your future purchases!
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Any truck purchased is a risk. That is why they have warranties. We all take the same risk everytime we plunk down our bucks on a sale. I owned a Ford Explorer that crapped out every other month while on warranty. The damned transmission was CLUNKING in all-wheel drive when the warranty ran out. I got rid of it and bought a Solara. Don't know why I ever drifted away from Toyota since I owned them since '86. Ain't sayin' Fords are bad....but you can't get me to BUY another one!

Did you buy your 2000 Tundra new? If you didn't, did you run a Carfax on the VIN? Maybe this thing was wrecked?

• harry754harry754 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys you answered a question for me correctly awhile back so I was hopeing you could help again.My 2000 Tundra with 60,000 miles on it has started giveing me a big clunk while shifting from 3rd to 4th (automatic transmission)It does'nt seem to do it with the overdrive off.Someone mentioned that their is an adjustment to the bands that can be done at about this mileage.Can you guys give me any help?Thanks again for your time and help!!harry754
  • jeffrey18jeffrey18 Member Posts: 1
    has any body had a vibration in the drive train at 30 to 40 mph. what was the problem?
  • bulychbulych Member Posts: 10
    does any one have any info. on the mileage they are getting on a tundra v6 extend cab 4x4.i am getting about 16 miles per gal.according to the literature i should be getting o ver 20 .
  • v6doublecabv6doublecab Member Posts: 7
    With the O/D off in 'D' at about 65MPH, if I stick my foot in it, my truck accelerates great till 70, then just hovers there for about 3 seconds and then starts to climb again. Anybody else had that problem? It's an '02 DC V6 w/25K. The tachs way below redline and the posted speed limit is 70, thank you :) If I do the same test with the O/D on (usual driving position), my truck downshifts and accelerates without a hitch. Any thoughts?
  • rheaume1rheaume1 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I have the same vibration. Only in two wheel drive and it's speed related (mostly noticable between 30 and 40). Toyota said its normal, thats after they replaced a drivshaft bearing. I dont know what to do. It's hard to find the time to keep bringing back only for them to say it's normal!! That's probably what their hoping for. By the way my truck is a 2002 SR5 extended cab V8 with 14000 miles. P.S. It did'nt vibrate when new
  • mday4mday4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Tundra 4x4 and around 12000 miles it started making sort of a rubbing sound or vibration. It sounds as though it's coming from the left front wheel. I can feel it in the steering wheel and floor pan. Around 30 mph is the worst spot and it goes away after about 40 mph...at least I don't hear it after 40 mph. I've looked at all the brake parts and can't see anything wrong. The dealer says Toyota has a bulletin out on it and wants to replace all wheel bearings, brake rotors, calipers, brake lines and brake covers. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas anyone?
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Does Toyota have a website that shows there recalls? I have always felt that recalls from any car manufacturer is "cat and mouse." Basically, if you know they have a recall or you're lucky enough to find out, they will take care of it.

B
  • whatnow2whatnow2 Member Posts: 24
    why are these posts about tundra in a tacoma board?
  • eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Have 2002 Tacoma 4x2 Regular Cab, 2.4 liter, 4 cyl. engine with automatic trans. and ABS. A "topper" (150 lbs) is installed but do not carry anything inside. Purchased new 7/02, now with 4,441 miles on it. Vehicle was properly broken in and is carefully maintained, with tire pressures kept proper etc.

Toyota/EPA mileage estimates were 22/25. (I am well aware that these are estimates and conditions will vary same. I primarily drive in city conditions, no undue idling periods, no fast starts/stops...do let engine idle for one minute (when cold) before driving slowly off. I live in Rock Island, Illinois and of course, our weather varies from hot to cold via seasons etc.

I have not had any "ck engine light" come on nor do I have any hot/dragging breaks (ck via careful touching), vehicle seems to roll freely and otherwise performs very well.

My concern is a "decreasing fuel mileage condition". The following are MPG experienced in CITY conditions.

8/02 = 21.9
    9/02 = 22, 22.1, 20.4
    10/02= 23.7, 21.7, 19.3
    11/02= 19.3, 20.4
    12/02= 18.4, 17.7, 19.7, 18.8
    1/03 = 18.3, 17.9, 16.9

I would appreciate hearing from other Regular or Xtracab, 2.4 liter, 4 cyl, auto trans. Tacoma owners...as to what experiences they may be having with their MPG (and what part of country/weather obtained in).

Would also like to know if any owners out there may have experienced any fuel mileage problems that were ultimately corrected via dealership etc. Pls. explain.

Thank You!

Ed M.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This board includes all Toyota truck owners.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I have a 2002 Tacoma V6 5 speed that started the same sound at around 3K(currently 18K). The dealer "can't hear it". I think they hire people that are completely deaf, as I can hear and feel it just fine. When I activate 4WD, it goes away. I had them change the front diff. fluid as an attempt to fix, but no improvement. If anyone knows of a RSB on this, I'd love to hear from you.

thanks,
    Scott
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    eomckamey,

Whenever my mileage drops more than one MPG unexpectedly, I check the tire pressure and it is invariably low. Since you live up North, chances are the tires were inflated either in California when the truck was rolled out, or by the dealer during prep. The temp has probably dropped considerably since July, and with that drop comes a drop in pressure. If you have checked the pressure on a schedule, disregard this post. My wife would drive on four flats if I didn't check hers.
  • whatnow2whatnow2 Member Posts: 24
    I agree that the apparent subject is as you suggest. My point is, if you look at how people find this board, it is listed under "tacoma." If the intent is wider, maybe that should be fixed. Why so touchy?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you notice at the top of the page, this discussion is categorized "Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, Truck." However it exists in the Owners Clubs. So, if you are searching for discussions concerning "Toyota Tundra", it will pop up under that also.

Originally this was designed to include owners of current and past Toyota truck models.

Hope that makes sense.
  • mday4mday4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply Scott. My dealer replaced the front wheel bearings, brake rotors, brake calipers, brake pads, brake lines, and brake backing plates on my truck and the noise and vibration is still there...it seems to be worse. Over $1300 worth of parts. The only thing left is the front axles and cv joints...possibly the front differential. Let me know if you find a fix. I guess I will just drive mine till it tears up, then maybe they can fix the problem.
    Thanks,
    Malcolm
  • brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    1000 miles on 2003 Tundra and when I come to a stop, sitting at a light for example, I hear a popping or clicking that sounds like the exhaust system cooling down or something. A pop, pop, pop no sequence or anything just random. I looked in the forum but didn't see anything, any ideas? This noise is different than the one described at the beginning of the discussion.
  • acietoacieto Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new Tundra, less than 400 miles. I used the four wheel drive for the first time. Highway driving ok but when I went to park and pulled into a space when I made the turn it felt like the emergency brake was on. And felt like it skipped. Same thing happened when I backed out and turned the wheel. Has anyone experienced this and could it be because it hasn't been broken in?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What surface were you driving on? 4WD is only designed to be used on slick or soft surfaces such as gravel and dirt. Using 4WD on dry pavement can and will damage the 4WD system if used for any length of time. When you make a turn with 4WD on the wheels are all trying to turn at the same speed but must turn at different speeds in order to make a turn, this is why the wheels skipped and what you felt as the "parking brake effect" was the stress and binding force on the 4WD system. Whew! I feel sorry for your Tundra.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    If you read your owner's manual about the use of the 4wd, you'll find the answer. But to put it in a nutshell, you have a part-time 4wd system. DO NOT USE your truck in 4wd on dry pavement. With part-time systems, and the vehicle in 4wd, the front and rear drive shafts are given power via the transfer case which locks the distribution of power front/rear at 50%/50%. When turning, the front wheels need to travel a further distance than the rear wheels, so with the fixed distribtion of power to the drive shafts, there has to be some give if you are to move forward. Either the vehicle stops if there isn't enough torque to force give somewhere, the tires scuff, or the drivetrain gives(worst alternative). The only times you should be using your 4wd is in slippery situations, places where you are driving on surfaces that will allow wheel slipage (sand or gravel), or if you're traveling in a straight line.

Hope this helps explain what was going on and prevents you from damaging your truck/tires.

Ken
  • greybeards22greybeards22 Member Posts: 2
    is adding a rear sway bar like Heliwag necessary and adding k/n air intake an advantage
  • alaskalandalaskaland Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I'd let you 2002 Toyota Tundra owners of my experience with non-functioning air bags. Left icy highway doing 60 mph and hit 12 ft high wooden fence. Doing about 55 mph when impact occurred; broke off railroad tie fence post. AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY!!!!! Officer on scene did not believe air bags did not deploy. Insurance adjuster also did not air bags did not deploy. So far $11,000 in damages NOT including drive train, suspension and other under the hood items. Even pushed bed 1 1/2 inches to the left. Right front bumper nearly pushed back to the front tire. Bottom line: Toyota is not very concerned, local and regional people. Believe a serious SAFETY problem. Seat belts were worn by both pass and driver. Note: another report on NHTSA.ORG site with 45 mph head-on collision and no deployment of air bags. Sleep well--but not behind the wheel of your Tundra!
  • rmui1rmui1 Member Posts: 48
    I have a 03 Highlander with airbags that according to the owner's manual only deploys at certain impact angles. Maybe Tundra airbags are similar--sounds like you impacted from right front angle (with the right bumper damage and bed being shifted to the left).
  • alaskalandalaskaland Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle hit fence and railroad tie fence post at approximately 85 degrees, i.e., almost perpendi-
    cular to the fence. Accident report also indicates this angle of "attack". Regardless, I'm sure
    that Toyota will take the same position that angle of attack was not within engineering specs
    of the air bag system. I find this totally unbelievable! My truck resembles a vehicle very similar
    to a 35 mph offset into a concrete wall that the NHTSA does! Another report on the NHTSA site
    , report # ODI 8002835, indicates another Tundra had a 45 mph head-on collision and the air
    bags did not deploy. I hope to put picture of my truck on web site for your purview. Will let you
    know. Thanks.
  • zero260zero260 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2003 Tundra four months ago, everything has been fine so far. Two months after my purchase I decided to install seat covers. All covers were installed except the rear seat back cushion because it could not be removed. I then took it to the Toyota dealer and they couldn't figure out how to remove it either. Has anyone successfully removed the back seat before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • marauder1marauder1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tundra SR5 access cab,1203miles,16" Michelin street treads,V8 and 2WD. I thought I had a tire balance/or alignment problem,vibration @ 70mph +. After the third trip to the dealership and some growling they checked it a little closer and to my amazement are telling me the drive shaft needs to be replaced. Anyone else seen this issue?
    I'd just be curious to compare stories with what my dealer is saying, maybe a bigger problem lurking out there. So far the dealer has not been impressive. Thanks!
  • davedave1davedave1 Member Posts: 45
    When i was asking a mechanic about maintenance for my 2k2 tacoma, he noted that the drive shaft has weights welded to it. He indicated if the weights come off the whole shaft will have to be replaced. This could cause bad vibration.
    There also may be a problem with the center drive shaft carrier bearing (between the drive shaft sections on extended cab models); this may come as part of a complete assembly too.
    Not many items are reparable any more....r and r.

Good luck
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    K&N air filters are supposed to allow better air flow, which logically will improve power and fuel efficiency. They achieve clean, high volume air through the use of oil impregnated gauze filter elements. However, the greatest improvement comes with the K&N air cleaner assembly, rather than just the oem replacement filter. The downside of the complete assembly is that it voids your warranty, I am told. The replacement filter does not, and you can get one for as little as $35, new on the web.
    I have a 2003 Tacoma 2wd extended cab. It handles great, and the engine is the best 4 cylinder around, if you can swallow the poor fuel efficiency. But the seat... These things would have been a hot selling item for Spanish Inquisitioners. They could have made anyone confess to anything.
    I am about to drop a ton of money for after-market seats, and during my search I got an almost universal response from dealers. "Tacoma? Yea, some of our best customers are Tacoma owners. If the squeaking don't get'em, the back pain will. Of course we have mounting brackets for those." One dealer in Orlando who sells Cerullo seats and repairs car seats told me that Toyota seats are the lightest, cheapest constructed seats he has ever seen.
    Can anyone out there spell "S-U-C-K-E-R". I bought this thing before they started the rebates.
    A trip from Lafayette LA to Houston this week was the straw that broke this camel's back. Machismo is the only thing that kept me from crying like a bambino. Now I either bite the big one for Corbeau seats or just completely submerge myself for some Recaros. I need to drive to Wyoming next month, and I could never make with my factory seats.
  • allenkallenk Member Posts: 2
    I have 2000 Tacoma w/58k. Recently the transmission decided to randomly downshift and upshift while I was trucking down the MA. Pike. Eventually it got stuck in a lower gear and I had to creep it to a dealer. Of course when they took it out it was fine but eventually did act up one time. They replaced a sensor because there where no computer codes, but now it is doing it again. Is this a known problem?
  • lagitanelagitane Member Posts: 25
    Ya want good seats, get a Tundra with captains chairs. Big difference. Not as comfortible as some of the other big trucks, but FAR better than a Taco seat. Just be carefull, gas mileage is high if you get a V-8. The V-6 is very adequate for power and has the same chassis and style. Gas mileage is comparable to a V-6 Taco. Only thing I didn't like was that the head rest is too far forward, can't position it so your upper back can arch back a bit like it was meant to do on long trips. In my old 94 Toyo P.U., that head rest was positioned where it should be and quite comfortible.
    Anybody have any solutions for the headrest? Must I get an aftermarket on this to get the right position; and if so where?
    Makes me wonder if those Toyo engineers sleep on floor mats or something. Comfort in a Toyota is a problem.
    I ordered some seats for my Tacoma because I just couldn't take it anymore. They have adjustable headrests, forward/back and up/down. But they cost more than I want to remember. They are Recaros, and they are firm but super comfortable. The only ones I ever sat in were in a Porche, and they were as advertised.
    You can get something good for $800 to $1000, but I'm not sure they have adjustable headrests. Corbeaus appear to be good, and there are Cerullos. Qualitex makes the kind with a console, and they are reasonable, compared to the other stuff.
  • jerry61jerry61 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99 Tacoma and have the unenviable problem of mice taking up residence in the AC/Heater fan assembly where they build elaborate nests (three so far this year). I called a local dealership and they said it is not an uncommon problem and that the mice were problably gaining access to the ducts through the fresh air intake duct underneath the truck. Where is the fresh air intake duct exactly? I need to put a screen on it to deter these animals from seeking shelter in my truck. Thanks,jerry
  • zero260zero260 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone tried removing the rear seats of their Tundra? Ive tried so many times but there is just no way it could come off. I also have a problem with a knocking sound coming from the rear right. Anyone else having these problems? Thanks
  • rjswoodrjswood Member Posts: 1
    I have a Tundra 2003 and started experiencing a popping noise in right front. Noise only happens after truck has been parked and engine cut off. Took it to the dealer and I was told that the popping noise is coming from the anti-lock brake pump. Said noise was normal. If it was a normal noise why didn't it start from day one. Have 3500 on truck. I am making an appointment with the factory rep. I want him to tell me that it is normal after we test a couple new trucks on the lot.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Toyota is adding a new feature to its 2004 Tundra's. They are installing a heated tailgate so that the owner has a nice warm place to sit while waiting for the tow truck when they run out of gas.
  • kermit66kermit66 Member Posts: 3
    referring to line entry 33. Did you go to arbritration...SP. I hope you won. It sucks putting all that money into a new toy and then have it crap out on you. I'm curious to know what happened.

Kermit66
  • jdman1997jdman1997 Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time toyota tundra owner. After the experience i had with a 1999 camry, i was convinced toyota was the way to go.
    I tow a small john deere tractor, model 955 which weighs in at 1990 lbs. The backhoe weighs 800 lbs and the loader weighs 450 lbs total weight is 3240 lbs. Trailer weighs approx 600 lbs. I tow this tractor maybe 2 to 4 times a year, short distances.
    My brake problems started almost as soon as i purchased the vehicle. When i took it back to the dealership, i was told they were aware of the problem, and they would install new rear drums due to a design flaw of being to lite weight. That was the beginning of a long jurney into toyota brake service problems. To make a long story short, my truck has 13767 miles on it, and the entire brake system has been replaced twice. This last attempt they replaced all 4 wheels and tires, and the only thing the service advisor said was call the company and file my complaint again.
    My truck is a 2002 SR5 Access Cab v-6 2 wheel drive.
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2003 in a few days or waiting about 6 weeks and also look at the 2004 Tundra 4x4, Access Cab, V8 with the towing package, etc. The other vehicle I am considering is the totally new 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3V8, Z71, and towing package. I have heard that the problems of the past few years were elimated with the new 2003 model? I am retired. I have heard from a few friends that they get 18-19 1/2 mpg on the highway and 15 or better around town with the 5.3 V8. True or false, I don't know. Do you? The Sierra 1500 has nice style, a lot of space and comfort. The other vehicle I am considering is the Toyota Tundra 4x4 V8 although its rear seat is VERY small and the gas mileage I am told is about 16-17 on the highway and 13 - 15 mpg around town. However, it is a "bullet-proof" vehicle as far as safety, reliability and fit and finish. I have had 3 Toyota vehicles (not pickups but currently an Avalon) and they are virtually trouble free with a very strong front end that hardly ever needs alignment, regardless of the road condition.
    I read alot of negative comments. What are the positive comments about the 2003 Tundra and/or Sierra 4x4, 5.3 V8? Has anyone had both vehicles and honestly can compare the two from personal experience. I really need your input, advice, and experiences. Many thanks-John

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
  • mlempiremlempire Member Posts: 34
    just bought this truck and it had the heads recalled and repaired by dealer..3.4LTR barely passed smog .89000 miles
     mphs rpm %co2 %02 HC C0
                           max/ave/meas max/ave/meas
    15 1697 14.9 .2 52/6/50 .66/.02/.38
    25 1661 15.1 .1 36/6/12 .80/.02/.04

no(ppm)
              max/ave/meas

15 mph 517/82/489
    25 mph 770/74/38

do I have a bad Cat or 02 sensor ???? no check engine lights on ... HELP!
  • jlohnjlohn Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a new 03 Tundra. I noticed right from the beginning that after the engine is warmed up and at idle the oil pressure drops very low, almost to the bottom of the gauge.

Is this normal?
    I've seen somewhere that there is a TSB about replacing the gauge, is this really a guage problem and the pressure is really ok?

Thanks
  • alkoalko Member Posts: 13
    Dear PreRunner owners,

Does anyone but me hear clunking from under vehicle when changing gears?

During the shift into “Drive” or “Reverse” you feel a slight pause, then hear a clunk. It sounds like it is coming from the tranny area. On my truck it first appeared at about 15K miles.

Toyota's mechanic said it's a well known problem specific for all PreRunners. I think this is BS.
    Before I go back and rip him another one I'd like to hear from other PreRunner's owners with similar problems... Anyone?
  • tonkagaltonkagal Member Posts: 1
    Hi Alko,

I have an 03 4x2 PreRunner and I've never heard any clunking associated with the tranny. Sorry, but I think your mechanic is full of a brown substance which isn't motor oil. ;-)
    --Tonkagal
  • alkoalko Member Posts: 13
    Tonkagal,

How many miles do you have on your Pre-Runner?
    I first noticed this problem at about 15K miles.

--alko
  • spanky20spanky20 Member Posts: 1
    Alko,

I'm having the same problem on my 2002 Dcab w/ 27K mi. Also on approaching an intersection and braking, just as I stop I have an audible "pop" which sounds like it's coming from the transmission. When in traffic(start/stop driving)it pops when going from neutral to first, first to second and vice versa. On occassion it "lurches" from first to second. I was looking at some older postings on edmunds and it doesn't look good for us alko. One fellow has had his taco in and out of the shop with no fix. Some have replaced the tranny, replaced center drive shaft carrier bearing. I also read something about axle warp. When I took mine in, the service dept manager drove it and had it about half the day. They said there was nothing wrong with it; I call BS on that one. I bet if it had 36001 mi on it, it would have plenty wrong with it. Let me know if you come up with a fix and I'll post a message if my service dept comes up with a remedy. I live in an area where there are at least 7 toyo dealers, so I may try another service dept. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.