Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Distributor causing Engine heating? Can that be?

shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
Can there be a realtion if the distrebuter is messed up?
What causes engine heating....
i want more information...please help.
Any input would be appreciated
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It depends on what kind of car you are talking about. On older cars, where the distributor actually controlled timing, yes, radical alterations in timing from the norm could cause an overheat condition. But on any modern computer-controlled car, this would be unlikely, as the computer controls timing.

An engine can overheat for....oh...I'd guess 25 good reasons and probably another 15 less likely ones. It's a complicated subject that would have to be limited by a description of the symptoms. In other words, fast overheating vs. slow overheating, low speed overheat vs. high speed overheat, and other signs and noises and drips observed, etc.
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    On a GM HEI Distributor a bad ignition module will make the car act like it is overheating. Eventually the car will run poorly then stall not being able to restart until cooled down. If these are your symptoms then I would look at the ignition module first.
  • Options
    shemzshemz Member Posts: 34
    Its really not mine its my dads old 87 Dodge ram.
    thanks to you all, he got it fixed :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What was the problem?
This discussion has been closed.