Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Valvoline Max-Life Oil?

jeramie1jeramie1 Member Posts: 6
any good? Has anyone tried it yet?

Comments

• Options
    vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    I have used it in the 10/30 weight.My engine has 151000 miles on it.After changing to max life the engine started leaking oil.The engine started to consume a little oil.I used max life for 3000 miles then changed back to regular valvoline 10/30.6000 miles and two oil changes later my engine is back to normal.No leaks and consumption returned to a half quart per 3000 miles.My advice,do not use it.It is overpriced too.
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Products like that are usually elaborate jokes or rip-offs, in my experience. Valvoline is a fantastic, stand-out company, but this product looks to be a stretch to get over paid for what amounts to a label change.
  • Options
    brorjacebrorjace Member Posts: 588
    Since I'm married to my full synthetic oils, I haven't used this stuff in anything other than single/twin-cylinder power equipment. I usually mix it 50/50 with something like Mobil 1 15W50 ... so I won't even try to interpret any minor observations ... one way or another.

BUT, my friend used this stuff in an old 1990 Integra that had started burning/leaking oil and found that the car's leaking/oil consumption reduced noticeably.

The oil is supposedly Grade III stocks instead of the cheaper Grade I and II stocks of regular, dead-dino oils. These more stable molecules and an additive package complete with a healthy does of seal conditioners should make for a pretty good oil ... and it really isn't much more expensive than most oils currently available. Since all oils are heading in this basic direction, their price has climbed for a buck-a-quart to something approaching $1.50 or more per quart.

--- Bror Jace
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    If I didn't get a notable and worthwhile change in a problem as a result of changing to "high mileage car" oil, I'd sure drop it like a hot potato.
This discussion has been closed.