Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• gmilton11gmilton11 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all-

Hoping to get some advice on the best choice for daily high-speed (75-80mph) long distance 125 mi round trip daily commute. Unfortunately high speed performance as well as fuel economy are significant. Creature comfort is important, with 10-12 hrs logged each week. Should be a mid to large size - (I have a daily passenger) as well as two teenagers on off-hours. I have considered and cannot resolve the hybrid-conventional engine debate - but with 36K per year gas is significant. I was looking at 4 cyl camrys & altima hybrid and non versions but have concerns over highway power - lately have started to think about Aura, Fusion/Milan as well - Mazda 6 is basically out - premium fuel - I'd love the cx-7 otherwise and actually could see getting a cross over - current vehicle is a 2001 caravan 3.8 v6. I'd like to keep the tab under $30k - any input would be wonderful.

HealeysRule
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    It doesn't take much power to cruise at 80 MPH... Any 4-cylinder mid-size can handle that.. Unless your commute is over mountains, or includes multiple sprints from 20-80 MPH, then don't waste your money on a V-6..

Especially at 36K miles/yr...

An Accord EX-L 4-cylinder would fit the bill.. Or, a Toyota Camry 4-cyl.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks - I haven't driven a 4cyl in years...so I probably am suffering from bad memories of noisy, strained little mills.

Its the NJ tpk and as long as the Governor is not on the road, its a pretty uneventful drive. Am I correct in thinking that a new vehicle is a better choice? A late model certified with 25k is typical - but the price diff on the better cars - accords, toyos, nissans is minimal and two years I'd have close to 100k again on the odo. Will the japanese cars go 200k w/out major repairs? (I've put TWO trannys in the *&^%!! caravan in 100k, and rebuilt head in the passat at 80k...)

Thanks,

HealysStillRule
    Late model Toyota and Hondas are sort of pricey... I'd buy new, as well... With freeway miles and good maintenance, 200K should be easily achievable, on average..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Once again, thanks - It's very helpful to have an objective perspective on this - I am, naturally enough, looking at accord, altima, toyota, and considering aura and focus/milan as possibles - the latter two are attractive price-wise and seem to be getting some decent press - My price performance rankings on the imports would be accord, toyota, altima, (I like the new altima a lot, though I worry a bit about reliability and depreciation) and on the domestics Milan Focus Aura - agree? I don't know where to rank the combined group - the domestics tend to be a few grand cheaper to buy -- do you think they're worth serious consideration in this group.

PS Just saw a 2005 altima at a local dealer web site with 7800 mi -may take a closer look...
  • mrbtmrbt Member Posts: 7
    I'm in a similar situation (shopping for a car, long commute). Still can't decide, but can share what I found out so far:
    CX-7, forget about it - milage is bad (best at 22) and requires premium, although there is some gossip that it would change to regular for 08
    Altima Hybrid - doesn't even get close to MPG that you'd expect from a hybrid
    For your situation Camry Hybrid seems perfect (especially with your yearly milage), plus right now you can get 07 model for about $1000 below MSRP. Another good car is a Passat 2.0t, my wife gets over 32-33 mpg on mostly highway commute. Here in LA they advertise 07 Passats for 4-6k below MSRP (6k for a V6) - that would add to a good deal.
    Well, I'm a little nervous about the germans - currently have a 98 passat for my daughter (just rebuilt the top end after a timing belt failure - $2500 - almost but not quite what the thing is worth - the other two kids will have to extract the pay out for me...) and a 98 audi avant - repair costs are out of sight. Hope your wife's passat has a timing chain and not a belt - if not, change it around 80k miles...

I tend to agree that the Camry Hybrid looks awfully good - but wonder about the altima - its the same hybrid system licensed in by Nissan but tuned more toward performance - I just didn't think it was that much poorer on mpg. The altima actually turns out to be a lot pricier at the same level of trim, so that's a factor as well. The whole hybrid/gas debate comes down to acquisition cost differential vs expected fuel savings - and high speed driving minimizes the impact of hybrid technology - the gov has a good website fueleconomy.gov and the "your mileage may vary" button at the top takes you to the new 2008 window stickers and a conversion tool as well - you can even put in your own city/highway and yearly mileage numbers - I just have a little trouble believing - need to leave work early today, so I will be back on in an hour or so. Thanks very much..
    I rented a 4-cylinder Focus last month on vacation... While not as smooth, or quite as powerful as the Honda motor, it had no problems with climbing mountains, etc... in Arizona.

I was very impressed with the ride, interior comfort and general feeling of stability at high speeds. I was very happy that I rented it. We put about 500 miles on it in five days.

I'm not a domestic car fan, so I wouldn't want to speak to longevity, but it sounds like your 50K miles/yr are going to be easy ones.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's true that a hybrid's MPG on a highway will be lower, but not much (on camry 37-38 vs 40 in a city). It should still be higher by 7 mpg than a regular 4 cyl. That amounts to close to $1000 savings in a year (with gas @ 3.5, but who knows in a year or two). I though about the camry, but don't drive nearly as much as you do. Also, the carpool stickers in CA are all gone (it would be a factor since I could use a carpool on a way to work). The only thing that would concern me is battery life, since you can easily put 100k on a car in 3 years. I think most of new cars have timing chains now (I believe 06 and 07 Passats do).
    Glad to hear you had a good experience with a domestic and yes, the the commmute though long is flat and on well-maintained roads - thanks to global warming, snow, slush, ice and salt are rarer than they once were -hey maybe I should get a Hummer and accelerate the process.

I was reading on another forum some just delighted with his Fusion and giddy that it ran about $4k less than a comparable toyota (both v6 btw) So I think I ment to say I was considering the Fusion/Milan twins - Focus is a little light for daily tpke traffic. Speaking of Honda, I believe the entire Accord line is due for a make-over for the 2008 year - more than cosmetics (though sorely overdue imho), the power train will revamped - vcm and probably cvt - so even the non hybrids should be greener. Kinda makes me want to wait til late sept (if my cars will stay out of the shop that long.) Still can't solve the hybrid equation, though. No one likes the altima but me?
    The battery worries me too - though I wonder since I'm doing mostly highspeed miles if 100K is still 100K as I won't be discharging and recharging the thing as much as in local stop and go service. So maybe it lasts 5-6 years -its still a $3k fix which wipes out a lot of gas savings. I think the difference is significant and that you are right - using the new EPA mileage estimates the cam H comes in at 34mpg vs 24 for the standard 4cyl. On 36k/yr the difference is more like $1500 on $3.00 reg., so over 7 years that comes to $10,500 (at 7% present value =$8,600) - less $3000 for a battery less a $4500 price diff vs a 4cyl xls - I can't figure this, can you?
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    As you have analyzed, one would be disappointed if buying a hybrid vehicle for economic reason. Like recycling paper, plastic, aluminum, etc., do it to have a greener planet rather than to save a few greenbacks.

Just my nickel. ;)
    Point well taken - not that I've ever had enough money to do more than worry about it - I did confirm with Toyo their batteries are now under $1k (the first generation prius replacements were the really expensive ones) and I'll bet they'll get cheaper as production ramps up. So that makes the hybrid a bit more attractive. Btw - not really sure about the green car bit - if we'd stop burning the rain forests, subdividing wildnerness and just impose minimal environmental restraints on cowboy economies in Russia, Eastern Europe, India, SE Asia and China, I have a hunch we could all drive 427 Shelbys to our hearts content. :shades:
  • starhuskerstarhusker Member Posts: 26
    I thought the battery was covered by warranty for 8 years? If it dies, I'm not sure whether the dealer would like to replace a new one for you, but it should last at least for 8 years, right?
    I like the new altima (except the fake wood trim). I test drove 4 cyl models of accord, camry and altima and altimas is maybe not most refined but feels most powerful (althoug cvt feels weird). As you mentioned all new accord is due this fall (new body and engines), but if you decide to wait - wait for the Accord diesel. Based on specs from Europe it should easily get 35-40 mpg. It should be here sometime next year if we're lucky (price should be about 1k above the 4 cyl - based on a price difference of a new Benz diesel). One important poit - forget about geting the new accord for less than msrp for a first year.
    Checked it out: 8 years/100000 miles on honda, toyota and assume nissan is similar. Of course I'm likely to blow through that warranty in 3-4 years, so not much of a benefit...
    Never knew you could get an accord for under msrp ;) Seems years ago I knew something about advanced diesel technology - that with water injection and some other trick they could be made to run very clean and very efficient - they'd better be because here in the NE diesel is as expensive as mid grade or premium.

My question is performance - I still want a car I can jack at 75+ mph and not worry about the sleep-deprived 18 wheeler drifing out of the center lane...

Going to go to school on the diesel - but I just hope the old cars hold together while my wife makes up my mind...
    I travel to Europe twice a year and actually drove couple of a new generation (common rail injection) diesels. Although power migh not be as high as in gasoline engines, there's more torque than in some V8 engines. They drive nice, don't rev too high (redline about 5000 rpm). Gossip is that the new accord diesel should be 200+ hp , 300+ lbs and get over 35 mpg. You can look at the new Benz engine as a reference although it is a V6 (211 hp, 398 lbs at 1600 rpm and gets 27/37 mpg) - knowing honda, its powerplant will be superior. Also some people suggest that accords diesel will also be a V6.
    I cant find any info on when Honda Diesel Accord will hit US - I really can't wait too much longer before I have to start reinvesting in upkeep on my current cars - the accord diesel sounds like a car worth looking at if its available.
    EDIT..

It was a Fusion, not a Focus that I rented....

All those Fs.. you know.. :blush:

Hopefully, that post makes a little more sense, now..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I might have a problem! It depends on build quality, but I will be contemplting this! I believe Shipo will be eying this quite carefully also...hope HK import duties are reasonable!

Funny how it took so long to get to this...Cerberus must keep this going, however, and make sure these new products do not fall apart!

Regards,
    OW
    This is the new G8 from a company called Pontiac, which is a company I can not remeber anymore...does not do anything for me in visual appeal. Very forgetable, IMO.

Try something like this as a Firebird, please!

Regards,
    OW
  • leikoleiko Member Posts: 4
    Hi,I spent seven hours looking at cars and test driving today,after hours online.And still don't feel positive about any.With gas prices soaring,the cost of any car getting excellent mileage have soared here in Middle Tennessee.The base Civic was $18,000 after $2,000. trade-in (otd),Elantra Limited $18,000,trade-in(otd),Sentra 1.8 $18,000,trade-in(otd),Versa at 14,500,trade-in(otd)and last Pontiac Vibe at $17,750(otd),Help and suggestions,please.
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    I am having a similar dilima over a Honda Civic and a Elantra Limited. The Civic is a nice enough car no doubt, definately better than than alot of other cars from the competition. At this time im definately leaning towards to elantra.

The Elantra Limited has alot more standard equipment that even a Civic LX. Leather interior, Alloy wheels, a roomier car, and a better radio to name a few. I would check the standard equipment at the price point between the cars you are looking at. Cruise was a must for my next car. I was given a better deal on the hyundai here, with a OTD price of roughly $17,000 (including the $1000 rebate). The strongest point for the civic of course is resale value.
  • scsnospamscsnospam Member Posts: 5
    My lease on a 2004 330i w/ automatic, premium package is up next month. I checked out the new 328i, but wasn't blown away. My options are

1. Keep the 330i. On a 3 year plan, my payments will go up to ~ $680 (I'm currently paying $570 on my 15k, 36 month lease)
    2. Return the 330i, and lease the 328i. The 328i has 16 inch wheels vs 17" on the 330i, run flat tires vs regular tires, regular stereo vs HK Logic 7 on the 330i. It does have an ipod input though!

What do think is the better option? I love driving my car, and feel it has enough power for me. Does the new 328i offer a similar experience? Same amount of torque at highway speeds?

Financially, the 328i lease might work out to < $500 on a 12k, 36 month lease, in the SF Bay area, given what I have read on these forums.
  • twq83twq83 Member Posts: 19
    Go and drive a Lexus IS 350 ........ you'll never go back to BMW!!!! :shades:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    If you decide to keep the car you in effect are paying more than you would have if you bought it outright to begin with.

The 328 is where the old 330 was. If you want to keep the car for a few years you are better off financing the vehicle rather than leasing.

If you want to lease and keep your payments the same, check out the lease rates on a 335. The 335 is not in any way similiar to the 330. You have to drive it to believe it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you believe features and measurements are all that make the car, the Lexus is for you (with extra $ in the pocket to boot!)

True enthusiasts have trouble considering a Lexus because there is not enough enthusiasm between the wheel and the road. Too numb, too "nannied," too Toyota.

That's not necessarily my opinion, but a lot of people share it, and would disagree with your statement.
    For a different perspective the latest edmunds comparo between the 350 and 335 has more information. Edmunds outfitted the cars for sport, the Lexus cost more then the 335.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=120903
    Wow... that's the first I've heard of that happening!
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello there! My boss is looking for a sedan that has heated AND cooled seats and parking assist. I'm not used to looking for vehicles quite that loaded. Anyone want to help me get some brownie points? :) (she hates car shopping and gave me her wish list) Many thanks! Karen
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Also some people suggest that accords diesel will also be a V6.

The word has been that the Accord diesel available for the 2009 model year will be 4 cyl. Honda is developing a V-6 diesel for it's truck line. No word from Honda on a V-6 diesel for the Accord.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    hi everyone, i have been trying to decide on a new vehicle-my short list was civic-accord and now element. i drove the civic and it seemed too small. next the accord-the driver seat was uncomfortable and i would have to leap up to the ex-L TO get a power seat. saw an element and decided to drive it-not as smooth of course as the silky accord but decent. the seat was wonderful and it would be a great car to have my 2 dogs in. all the dealer had was ex 4wds on the lot-i think the sunroof in the back is a waste and don't want the 4wd. more cost initially, probably more maintenance,lower gas mileage but higher resale later. i do live in the burbs of the windy city but being retired have the option of not going out in bad weather. anyway, i found a 2007 lx 2wd used with 5,000 miles on it and they want just under $18,000 for it, is that a decent price since it seems to be too new to get any used info on it.
    I'd offer closer to $17,000. Maybe $17,200. Ending up in the mid-$17k range would be pretty good I think, if not a little high. I'm not real experienced with shopping the Element though, so take my words with a grain of salt.

A new one would only be about $18,400 based on the limited reading I do in the Honda Element Prices Paid forums.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    thanks, i can't see the dealer taking less than that since her wants $595 to make it a honda certified car. he says i can buy it either way, with or w/o certification. problem is i like the color-kiwi green and you can't find 2wd in the windy city.
  • jeffsstuffjeffsstuff Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to replace a 2002 BMW 330xi. I like the G35x alot however I drove it yesterday and the steering is stiffer than my BMW.

The problem is, I have issue with my hands (think carpal tunnel but different). Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of a car that might have steering that requires less force than the G35 but with similar characteristics (size, price, performace, etc).

For instance, does the Acura TL have the same stiff steering? Alternately, if I went to something like the Lexus RS350 would the handling be so sloppy that I would hate it?

I just want to know what my options are and narrow down the field a bit.

Thanks,
    -Jeff
    I believe that active steering option on the 335i might add some help for you at low speeds where the effort might be less. But you will need to test it for yourself to see if it is good for you.

Active Steering uses a supplemental, motor-driven gearbox to increase or decrease the amount of assist from the conventional hydraulic power-steering unit. The system is designed to add a level of responsiveness appropriate to the driving situation. In low-speed maneuvers, such as in parking garages, Active Steering "boosts" the ratio of standard power-steering assist, meaning the driver does not have to turn the wheel as much as usual.

Regards,
    OW
  • solinsolin Member Posts: 13
    I would like some advice from anyone in the forum. There is a used 2006 with only 5000 miles on it and the party wants someone to take over the lease. The car has both premium and sports package plus lo-jack. His cost is $546 a month with about 15 months left on the lease with 12k per year allowed. The residual I believe is about $31,500.

My question is, would I be better off buying a brand new 328i instead of this almost fully loaded 2006 330i?

Thanks in advance.
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    You may want to try the Audi A4. The low speed steering is remarkable light while it stiffens up nicely on the highway. The s-line package would give you pretty good handling as well.
    That sounds like a decent deal, if you only want to drive it for 15 months and then turn it in...

If you are interested in keeping the vehicle longer term, I'd lease or buy a new one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The last Acura I drove had steering that was very light (lighter than I prefer). It may be good for you.

Try a TL and see.
  • stealth6stealth6 Member Posts: 13
    Jeffsstuff, Try a Sonata LX. If you want something more luxurious and bigger, try the Azera. You will be surprised! AO
  • kimandjaykimandjay Member Posts: 7
    Hello:

We're new to this board, but are curious which car you'd recommend between the following:

New 2007 Acura TL base model with Navigation package.
    A local dealership is currently offering us the advertised lease deal of $369 a month with $1999 down for 36 months with the Navi as a "free" add-on (i.e. current lease offer is as stated above without Navigation and they are including it for the same price).

OR

A family member is coming off a short-term lease on the 2006 325i. He has many of the upgrades, including the premium package, navigation with blue tooth, power seats, cold weather package, and a few others. He has only put 8500 miles on it (in 2 years) and the lease-end buyout is around $28,000. We can get financing of 5.99% on a $25,000 loan through a credit union and will put up the balance in cash.

We plan to keep whichever car for about 3 years.

The question isn't as much lease vs. buy as it is which would be considered a better deal, and which car do people prefer? Also, any idea what the resale might be on the BMW in 3 years (we will put a max of 8000 miles per year on it)?
    We test drove both today and my husband likes the sportyness and responsiveness of the BMW while I like the extra space in the TL. Note that we live in a city (DC) so parking can be difficult, which makes the size of the 325i more appealing.

I know we'll be happy with either, but would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thank you!
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    My suggestion is with neither one, go for a 2007 TCH (Toyota Camry Hybrid) and you are going to enjoy it so much, especially knowing that you will contribute for a greener environment ;) ...
  • kimandjaykimandjay Member Posts: 7
    Thank you. Appreciate your response.

We don't drive much, as we live in the city and both walk to work. Thus, we end up putting only about 6000 miles a year on a car and a hybrid just isn't worth it for us financially.

Also, we did test drive the V6 Camry and weren't thrilled with it. (Perhaps because we currently have a '95 Camry and can't help but compare it to that.)

Anyone else have any comments? Thanks.
    If you really want the BMW, then get the BMW..

At first, I thought the Acura would be cheaper over the 3 years, as that is a decent lease deal, but if you are only putting 8K miles/yr on the BMW, you can likely drive it just as cheaply.. You'd be paying for miles you aren't using on the Acura..

The only caveat? After 2 years, you'll be out of warranty and free service on the BMW. (Assuming it will be two years old when you get it).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• helpmefindacarhelpmefindacar Member Posts: 14
    Hi! My daughter is looking for her first car. What is something that is a good car and has not been known to have many problems but is not expensive.

It is going to be a used car but what would you give to your teen?

I need a used car, low mileage, and very dependable, and cheaper parts if needed.
    Thanks
    A Civic or Corolla would be a good bet.
    My suggestion is a Subaru. My second choice would be a Honda.

Regards,
    OW
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    My first choice is a 92 or 93 Acura Integra, second choice is a Civic.