Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Your parents will wind up by feeding the Caddy with gas, the Avalon will be more fuel efficient. That might tip the scales a bit.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    After talking to my dad's aunt and her husband (who had a 2005 DeVille and now have a 2007 DTS), they always get about 27 mpg highway with the Northstar. Considering our V6 Odyssey got about 24-25 mpg highway, that sounds good for them, considering it has a V8, and will be a "trip car" first and foremost.

I understand the Avalon is a very good car, but the Cadillac costs less, and delivers more. It's just that simple. What doesn't help is local Toyota dealers' reputation for not being customer friendly.

I'll keep you all posted as the shopping continues - they are actually not looking to make their purchase until the fall, so other vehicles will come and go from the shopping list I'm sure before then.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since they are looking to buy this fall and don't mind spending nearly $30k for a car, and seem to want a luxo-cruiser (ala DTS), they should take the Genesis for a spin. The V6 will start under $30k.
    Well, after hearing about problems in a co-worker's VeraCruz (numerous trips to the dealer for things like O2 sensors, electrical bugs, etc) mom and dad aren't as gung-ho about Hyundai as they were. After being burned by 2 Chryslers that spent week after week at a dealer (under warranty, thankfully), they are nervous about buying a car after hearing bad stories. My dad told me like this: "If there's one like this, there's two, and I'll have the luck to get it." Now, he knows all companies have bug-y cars, but hearing one from personal experience is just a little scary for them.

The Genesis is a good idea, but being a first-year model, I don't know how well that would go-over.
    After talking to my dad's aunt and her husband (who had a 2005 DeVille and now have a 2007 DTS), they always get about 27 mpg highway with the Northstar

Even a Bugatti gets 23 mpg on the highway. Gas mileage plummets if they drive in town or in traffic. I just can't believe an inefficient engine like the Northstar in a heavy vehicle like the Caddy will get 27 mpg on the highway, unless they are crawling at 30 mph. Call me a doubting Thomas.
    Even a Bugatti gets 23 mpg on the highway. Gas mileage plummets if they drive in town or in traffic. I just can't believe an inefficient engine like the Northstar in a heavy vehicle like the Caddy will get 27 mpg on the highway, unless they are crawling at 30 mph. Call me a doubting Thomas.

Doubt away... they drive on the 70 MPH Interstate 65 every other day to come check on my great-grandmother (she'll be 96 in April but is now in poor health) from about 40 miles away.

No skin off my nose whether ya believe it or not, because I'm not the one buying the car. I've got two!

And, if you haven't been following along, this will not be an "Around Town" car; my mom works within walking distance to her job, so her car won't be used to commute. My dad commutes in the Civic. This is for trips from the coast (where the folks live) back to Birmingham, a trip they make every couple of weeks. For that, the Civic just doesn't cut it... Dad turns 50 in April, and my mom has been 39 for 12 years, and they've always been tight with money on cars. Now they want to splurge on a comfy highway cruiser for under $30k, and frankly, the year-old DTS fits that pretty well. Are they dead set on it? Not in any way. They're just considering it among lots of other choices out there.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    You mentioned previously that they were looking at the 2008 Taurus. We just bought a 2008 Sable Premier. It may be a few $ more that the Taurus, but we liked the front end and interior better on the Sable. So far we like the car very much. We paid about $25000 out the door! It has ESC, memory adjustable pedals, backup sensors and Satellite radio as options. We are a bit older than your folks, and like the conservative styling of this car. The Command seating make getting in and out a breeze.
    I'll mention the Sable. Dad isn't too fond of all the chrome on the Ford.
  • sincraftsincraft Member Posts: 24
    The Nissan Altima wins.
    We are in the market for a new vehicle. Orignally we loved the Altima but started to look everywhere else too. We tried American cars also.

But now we have a problem. We want a black car. Nissan and black...eh not the best combo. (I have their black truck - frontier).
    Now, it gets worse - we want a black car with blond leather interior AND a 4cyl. And I tossed the whole 6 or 4 thing around many many times too...just not worth it after driving the powerful nissan 4 cyl.

So - that leaves us with only TWO cars within 400 miles.

I've read unbelievable deals regarding the 2.5 s with the sl package, many 1k sub invoice pricing WITH additional percs (all weather mats , etc etc)

BOTH cars are scratched. The one is beautiful for the most part with the bumper being scratched very low about 8" wide with tiny 1cm scratches, about 15 of them. They called and said they buffed most of them out but there are still a few left.

The other, their teenaged car washer decided to use the same water he has been using all day with the same rag and dragged the rag all over the car. It's VERY noticable , at least to me. Not to mention, there is some bug gunk that it looks like they couldn't or didn't care to remove.

I know that after 4 or 5 washes the car will look like this no matter how much care I take with Nissans VERY soft paint. But do we want to accept this new?

The first, they will sell at invoice. The last, they will sell for $200 under. I tried to get them down, they let us walk out ...even when I told them don't expect us to call - please don't lose a sell if someone is interested...go ahead and sell it. We had another car in the game but it's pretty far away and only a little bit better of a deal and is not the exact color she wants.

I expected at least a phone call before they closed. Neither called. They know they are the only game on the block and that we will only take black or will just save another 10 k and head into the luxury lines and start this whole buying process over again. (although I don't want to do that, I'm not a big fan of forking over $600 per month on a car payment...we are lookign at only $350 for the Altima as it is)

What would you do? I don't want to lose the car, but at the same time I don't want muscled into the car. We NEED another car very soon or, we need to fix an older car for inspection. (we are selling it outright, not trading it in)
    What I would do is I would never, ever set my heart on a single car, let alone a single color. Then they know they have you by the b... well, they know they have you.

One thing you might do is try to find out when they (or another dealer) will be getting another black Altima in, and hold out for that one (even rent a car or buy a beater to use in the meantime if you must have a car now). You are spending a lot of money on this car--why settle for less than what you want?
    I would take two deep breaths and not buy a car that had sample defects the dealer had not fixed. Only you can decide. Keep in mind how you would feel in a year or so of ownership. Would you do it again?

If you are asking what i would do. I would ask them to fix the cars. If they couldn't I would walk away and see how my Honda dealer is doing.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Have you looked into the dark gray color? I forget exactly what it's called (Dark Slate maybe?), but that's what I chose for my '08. The paint imperfections are much less noticeable then on a black car, IMO.

I'm on my second Nissan with the dark gray color, and it holds up very well.

I love the new Altima, BTW. It betters my '03 Maxima in every way. You will really, really enjoy the car.
  • sincraftsincraft Member Posts: 24
    I'm p!ssed.

I broke down today and told the dealer nearest to us with the car washed fine imperfections all over that we wanted the car IF they could wash it again properly thus removing the bug goo, dirt on the wheels / front grill etc. And have a detail guy go over it an hit some of the trouble spots.

That's all I was asking for.

The salesperson calls me back and says his manager is telling him that they no longer are offering me the deal, they don't want to work with me.

Yesterday I asked for another measly $100 off which would take this car down to $300 under invoice. They blew us off. Hard.

So I'm writing a letter to Nissan. I write them when I have good experiences, but rarely write about the bad ones because I've already moved onto trying to solve the problem at hand. I will however make an exception for these folks. I stopped using their service dept for the same reason, horrible service. I later saw one of the asst service manager guys at another dealer I was doing computer work for, and he said that the owner and manager force their hands to do alot of shady things there.

Then you talk to the dealers around and they have NO idea that the CA emissions cars that are being sold in like 19 states now get 1 mpg less! They actually believe the sticker is correct. Those EPA guys already butt heads with the tree huggers, if they labeled the stickers at 1mpg less they would be DEAD. It's fear that is keeping us a nation from moving ahead due to political correctness. Hey I want clean to breath air, but I don't want to be lied to about MPG nor do I want to pay for a hoax which has been disproving in almost every country by scientists far superior to ours that AREN'T being paid off like ours are.

*gets off soapbox*
  • bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    I’m looking for a new (to me) ride. I don’t have to decide just now, but probably sometime in the next couple of months. What I am considering is a (probably) pre-owned BMW 325xi (maybe a 330xi if the deal is right, but I’m not too sure I want a turbo), G35x (I have VPP so I might go new for this), Audi A3 or A4 (I like the A3 better but they’re hard to find in the northern IN vicinity), Acura TSX or maybe TL, but it’s larger and I don’t like it as much. I might consider the Altima coupe as well, but not the sedan. While I like the sedan styling more than the Accord or Camry, I don’t like it as much as the Infinity, and the Altima sedans are everywhere. I don’t want to put my car away for the winter, so I prefer all wheel or front wheel drive. That leaves out the Infinity G-coupe (sigh) and the BMW 3 series coupe. I know several people who drive the G coupe and they either garage it for the winter or get adequate but not great driving with winter tires. I prefer the security of good winter handling. I haven’t completely ruled out a small SUV or crossover, but after 8 years of driving an Exploder I’m ready for a more responsive ride. I joke about the Explorer, but with the exception of an unfortunate “Bambi” incident :blush: I have never been left stranded. No significant repairs other than normal wear and tear either. It’s just 10 years old and it is time to move on to something else. As long as I’m moving on, I want to add some fun. I won’t be racing or pushing for maximum speed, but I do like the feel of a car that you don’t have to slow to a crawl when going around a curve. I suppose I want to feel like I am part of a driving system rather than the occupant of a vehicle.

I would consider a 2006-2007, maybe a 2005 as well. I know the Infinity was a new model in 2007 but I like the previous model as well. The BMW was a new model in 2006 and I don’t know anything about the 2005. I might be overlooking something else as well, so any suggestions for additional cars to consider (or avoid) are welcome. I’m considering a manual in the BMW or A4 but I didn’t like the manual in the ‘07 TL I drove (the clutch seemed to have a very tiny “sweet spot” and it didn’t help that the salesperson sneered a little when I lurched on a start). I don’t know if the TSX would be any better. The G35X is only available in an auto. Manual vs. auto isn’t a big factor for me so I probably wouldn’t rule out an auto BMW or Audi either. Since I’m going to continue getting older and creakier, the auto might be a smarter choice, just not as much fun in the pre-creaky years.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    One note... The 330xi is not a turbo....

The only turbo is the 335xi, which came out in 2007...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    Thanks. I must have been thinking of the 335xi. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :blush: Obviously my research is far from complete...
    I know several people who drive the G coupe and they either garage it for the winter or get adequate but not great driving with winter tires.

I would garage my Ferrari during the winter not my G. I drove a RWD 330 in the snow for a few years with all seasons. It wasn't great but I limped along. I now own an AWD turbo that when it snows, says: "Let me at it".

Seems to me you need to get your priorities in order. What's more important, body style or drivetrain, manual or auto? If you decide AWD is the way to go and is most important, everything else will fall into line.
  • crutnackercrutnacker Member Posts: 41
    I'm trying to decide what I might get when I'm ready to deal. Here's what I'm interested in:

The Honda Fit -- I'm impressed with the amount of interior space in a small space, I like Hondas, and it's different than the ubiquitious Civic. What I worry about most is getting killed in the thing.

Honda Civic Hybrid and Civic -- I loved my 95 and 98 Civics and like the idea of owning a Hybrid to get better gas mileage. But I also have read of issues with the Civic Hybrid, and I'm not sure the regular Civic thrills me enough.

Prius -- I like the fact that it is different looking, has far more options (and colors) than the Civic Hybrid, and apparently is roomy inside. But I don't think I could get as good a deal as the Civic Hybrid.

The car would primarily be a commuter car, but given gas prices, might become the primary car on weekends when my wife, six year old, and I go places.
  • lawhitmirelawhitmire Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new sedan for my mother. She is 75 years old and is under 5' tall. She is retired and drives mostly around town (busy intersections) but occasionally she will travel distances 4-6 hours. Are there sedans that are gears for senior citizens as well as for a short person.
    The Ford Taurus SEL is a big, comfortable car that comes well-equipped in base form, and should be had for $20k or so. You can check it out here on Edmunds.com, or at www.fordvehicles.com. No, this isn't the rental-fleet Taurus you remember seeing for years previous! ;)

I mention this car specifically because it has "Command Seating" that has chair height that is notably higher than most sedans; probably a mix between a minivan and regular sedan in height. It has safe, if not sporty handling, and a compliant, quiet ride.

Power pedals are also something she should look into, as they are only a $120 option on this car, I believe. They'll bring the pedals closer to her feet, allowing her to sit further back from the steering wheel, and airbag.

It also has a 263 horsepower V6 which isn't quite as smooth as that of an Avalon, but for the price, it delivers excellent power and economy (18/28 EPA) for the money, and should be good for those long trips.

I don't know what the budget is here, but this car is a real bargain, and should be inexpensive to maintain.

By the way, I have two Hondas, so I'm not a Ford salesman or anything, I just think this would be a car you should consider adding to your (her) list.

Take care, and keep us posted! :)

TheGraduate

*PS - The Mercury Sable is the same basic car as the Taurus, but offers different styling, if she doesn't like the look of the Taurus.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I totally advocate avoiding first run models of almost any car with a full redesign. It's just too many things are still being learned during production and affecting all the electronics in the car. They don't usually get things down until the 2nd or 3rd year imho. Now if it's just a freshening, that should be fine, but to me the best time to get a Genesis is probably 2010 or 2011.
  • epaivaepaiva Member Posts: 3
    I can't find any information about the release date and expected changes for the 2009 IS 250 / 350. I'm currently looking for a new 2008 but I was curious about the 2009 refresh and wanted to better understand the changes.

Does anybody have any details to share? I'm surprised that this late there hasn't been any reviews or sneak pictures. I have asked Lexus but all they told me was there 2009 should come end of Oct and there weren't any news publicized yet?

Please somebody share some light on this... I'm surprised Edmunds doesn't have any updates on this yet.

Thanks!
  • 06stang06stang Member Posts: 10
    Currently interested in purchasing a new car. We've been looking around and talking about it for a while, but have now finally decided to take the plunge. Have a Mustang GT and Grand Cherokee V8 now, and we decided an inexpensive midsize sedan might be nice with gas the way it is

Really like the Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 and the Chevrolet Malibu LTZ. What's the pro/cons of each one and what would you recommend? We've pretty much narrowed it down to these two-- not interested in an Accord or Camry. The Fusion's nice, but don't really want to wait until December for the updated one.
    Malibu pros: styling (subjective), OnStar, made by a U.S. car company, handling(?), acceleration(?)

Sonata pros: price, warranty, rear seat room, fuel economy, predicted reliability (Malibu too new to know yet), nav available (but no OnStar)

Both are good cars, but only you know your requirements and priorities. If after you drive and evaluate both you like them about equally, then the Sonata's lower price (after incentives) and better warranty might be enough to sway you. Or maybe you just like the way the Malibu looks better and want to be a part of GM's resurgence. :)
    not interested in an Accord or Camry.

Have you considered the Nissan Altima?
    Are you dead-set on the V6 models? A 4-cyl Sonata would probably be similar in acceleration to a 4.7L Grand Cherokee.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    To me this is not a tough choice at all.

If fuel economy, gorgeous styling, two-tone leather seats, OnStar turn-by-turn navigation, confident handling yet suplle ride is an objective then the 6-speed LTZ 4 cylinder is a no-brainer.
    Both the LTZ and Sonata look great in black!
    If fuel economy, gorgeous styling, two-tone leather seats, OnStar turn-by-turn navigation, confident handling yet suplle ride is an objective then the 6-speed LTZ 4 cylinder is a no-brainer.

fuel economy...

The Sonata matches the Malibu's (LTZ only) fuel economy, and doesn't require a step-up to the most expensive model to get it the most economical powertrain; the majority of models are stuck with a wide-ratio 4-speed automatic for now, which lowers fuel economy and usable power.

styling...

Styling is, and always will be subjective. The Malibu is good looking, but so is the Sonata.

Two-Tone Leather Seats...

See my thoughts on "styling." :)

OnStar...

The Sonata offers a true Navigation system, with map, and won't require a subscription later, as the Malibu will. Both have their benefits and drawbacks.

Handling and ride...

From what I hear the Sonata SE has a nice blend of performance and comfort.

Sure looks like an awfully tough choice to me!.
  • 06stang06stang Member Posts: 10
    Have you considered the Nissan Altima?
    The Altima seems like a great car-- just not the biggest fan of the interior and exterior look. Nothing wrong with it, just not in my taste.

Are you dead-set on the V6 models? A 4-cyl Sonata would probably be similar in acceleration to a 4.7L Grand Cherokee.
    Not dead set, but the extra power from the V6s would be nice and are still very fuel efficient compared to my current vehicles.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help. Personally, I'm pulling towards the Malibu now but according to Hyundai's website I could get a similarly equipped Sonata for thousands less and that keeps me coming back to it. Tough decision... I'm planning on taking both out on a good long test drive and hopefully that will help me make a decision.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I'm shopping for a mid-size right now too (and, like you, have an '06 GT). However, after 30 years of watching GM again and again come out with supposedly "great" cars that will compete, inevitably they turn out to be dogs. As a result, I simply won't even look at a Malibu.

That said, I'm not sure where to turn. The current Camry seems to have its share of issues and I hate the way Toyota packages their options. I've bought many Hondas but dislike the styling, dashboard, and seats in the new Accord. Hyundai seems to have come a long way but the resale scares me and, in spite of more content/lesser price, the Sonata just doesn't strike me as a truly great value.
    If you want you can probably find a Sonata V6 to rent at Hertz et. al. I don't know if you can get a Limited, but a GLS V6 would drive pretty much the same (except the Limited has 17" rubber vs. 16" on the GLS). That would give you a real good feel fo car, to drive it for a few days.

I don't know if the new Malibu is available to rent, but if so it would be good to drive both cars for a weekend or so.
    There are plenty of 08 Malibu's with the little "e" Enterprise rental sticker here in Birmingham.
    Well, so much for GM's promise not to sell the new Malibu to fleets... :)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Go to the Sonta blog, for some info.
  • dusneeddusneed Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am a 22 year old from New York City and I am wanting to buy a car. I have been prowling dealerships, but I can't honestly trust someone who is selling me something. I have been looking at an 06' Maxima and a 07' Altima.
    I don't want to make a decision when there is maybe a better decision to be made. This would be my first car purchase and I want to make the best Decision.

I am comfortable with buying a used car and that will most likely be my intended path. I already have been approved for financing through my credit union, but I am only comfortable with financing close to twenty thousand dollars. Also I have a down payment of four thousand-five hundred ready.

As I said I am 22, so insurance or insure-ability is a big issue. I don't want a crazy premium or to say I want to know which car has lower or higher premiums. Which car is more reliable as far as repairs and everything.

As I have said, I have my eye on a 06 Maxima(Vin:1n4b41e06c801631), but my brother has been raising questions about how it rides and how it has a too heavy for it's suspension appearance. He really thinks I shouldn't get a car period to save my money for something bigger.

I need opinions, real world experience, and real data to help in this decision. I am not opposed to getting any manufacturer's car or model. I want something that is a good compromise between Cost, Fuel Economy, Reliability, Insureability, and style.

Can you please help me?

Thank you,
  • cyshescyshes Member Posts: 7
    I am debating between the Mazda3, Civic, and Elantra. The biggest factor is stability control. Elantra already has it, Civic is supposed to get it on the 2009 model. But I'm not sure about the Mazda3. I heard that it from a sales person won't except for the s models. Has anyone heard differently? Thanks!
  • markotoolemarkotoole Member Posts: 10
    I am about 30 days from buying.

Here is my situation and the cars I am considering. I have two kids (6 and 10), live on a steep narrow hill outside of Boston (AWD is needed to get in the garage), have a city drive to work (about 15 miles each way), occassionally have clients in my car, and my wife has a Sequoia.

I am looking at the RDX, X3, 9-3 Cross-drive, A3, Volvo 60/80, Cadillac CTS.

I know these cars are all over the place, but they are what my research has pointed me to as the best options. I drive a 2000 A6 which I would have loved had it not suffered malfunctions of different varieties over the years. My Audi experience makes the A3 a longshot.

Any opinions on the above or are there other cars I should consider? I will likely buy a year-old car and want to spend $30,000 to $35,000 ideally.
    Did you consider a Taurus AWD? You can get a loaded top of the line for less than $30,000.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    well, with a 10-year-old who will only get taller VERY fast and the need to cart clients around, I would think you'd be looking for a roomy backseat. That should knock the A3 and S60 off your list, at the very least.

Since you are looking used, although the S80 is a bargain, I wouldn't want the previous generation, personally (and I'm a volvo fan). If you can find an '07 V8 AWD in your pricerange, then by all means, it would be near the top of my shopping list.

The mileage in the RDX doesn't impress me for what you get. I wouldn't touch a Saab, personally.

So, from your list, that leaves me with the X3 and CTS. I haven't driven either. My wife has driven the X3 and was not impressed. She thought it was OK, but, in her opinion, it lacked in the solid and luxo feel found in the XC90 we wound up buying. Does the CTS come with AWD? I didn't realize it did. In any case, I would definitely want the DI 3.6 engine. ..... edit: just looked it up, the '08 DI caddy can be had with AWD. Good luck finding a used one, though.

If I wanted AWD, luxo, and a decent backseat ... I think I'd be looking at an Infiniti M35X or FX35.
    And you MAY be able to get an '06 530xi in your pricerange, so I'd add that to the list, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Is there a reason you've limited it to the luxury brands? You can get a lot of car from the mainstream brands, these days.

RonSmith had a good idea as far as checking out the Taurus Limited AWD. You can get a brand new car instead of worrying about who drove your car and how. With the 263hp V6 it is an excellent performer, has best-in-class trunk and interior space. Sync, the voice activated phone and media system is great. Heated Leather Seats with memory function, a DVD player for rear passengers, Navigation, rear parking sensors, and a seating position that puts you higher than other passenger cars all make the Taurus at least worth a look (to me). ;)
    Is there a reason you've limited it to the luxury brands?

My wild guess? Because he wants something more luxurious. ;P

Seriously, though, I don't care how nice the new Taurus is compared to the old, you can't make something for nothing. It will never compete in the luxury segment at its current pricepoint.

I made the mistake of thinking I could get more for less when I leased a Honda Accord. I eventually discovered there is a reason why it is cheaper than the higher-tier cars I enjoy driving. So my advice is just the opposite. If you are used to and enjoy a higher-class car, do NOT settle for a less expensive new car. You will most likely regret it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The original post said nothing about what they currently drove. I have a friend who drove a 2001 Mustang, but when she graduated, she immediately bought a used Lexus IS250. She hated that she had to work night-shift (as a nurse) to make her car payment. She sold it and bought a well-equipped Mazda 3.

I don't know the person's background that is looking for the luxury brand, which is why I suggested the Ford; they can get luxury features (some that Acura, Saab, etc don't offer) and get one brand new. I'm a practical guy, what can I say... :blush:
    says he has an A6

And i have progressed through European brands -- VW to Saab to Audi -- so I like the European drive, but am not predisposed to sticking with that, especially after all the trouble with the Audi. I luck luxury, dos not need to be the highest end, and overall, the car needs to be reliable. That's what has the Acura on the list. The need for AWD limits me a bit.
    I completely missed that, sorry. :blush:
    well....
    what do you think of my suggestions?
    :)

• bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Stay away from the Jetta. Great driving cars but their reliability record is umbelievability bad compared to Honda. Check Consumer reports & J D powers for reliability comparisons.

As for the GPS, don't bother with an aftermarket system; buy a Garmin Portable. They do everything the built in units do for a heck of a lot less money. I've traveled with one for 3 years & it works great.
    Wow!
    I think after nearly 7 years (post was made in Nov '01), that poster has made their choice.

Who knows, that poster may be in the market for their NEXT car! :D
    I should look at the Infiniti. The Volvo does not move me, though I should probably drive it, too. I liked the RDX's drive, comfort, gadgets. The X3 drove like a comfortable little car, but nothing exciting. The Caddy does have AWD but still seems to be selling for a premium. It drives nice but almost feels to luxurious to enjoy in daily driving.