Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How about a USED Mazda3s hatch? Still a great car, and you'll save thousands off new.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    My son is looking to buy a new car. Something safe, not too expensive etc. What would be some of the best options?
    Thanks, BMW
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Got a price range?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    In the under $15,000 category, I'd look at something like a two or three year old Accord. Plenty of safety features, a frugal engine, and still halfway fun to drive.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    not only pricerange, but you should also at least narrow down his needs a bit. does he need a troop transport? or would a 2-seater suffice?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

We have been considering sedans such as the Civic and the Corolla.Maybe a SUV. He does need a 4 seater. We have thought about buying new, as my son can make a reasonable monthly payment. My guy that looks for cars suggested a 09 Corolla S. I read the reviews which were less than inspiring.Ideas?
    BMW
    I'm 21, and for my first car I had a 6 year old car with 120k miles on it.

While I'm not saying something this old is necessary, I will say that there was some relief on both the part of my parents as well as on my part, because I didn't have to worry about dings, dents, and keeping a new car in new condition. I'm pretty nit-picky about my cars so having something that is worn (not worn out though) was kind-of nice when going to HS football games, local trips to the lake, and simply in the hazards of the parking deck at the mall.

I'd skip the "new" route; if you can afford a new Corolla, perhaps look at a 2 year old midsize car (Altima, Fusion, Accord, Sonata - Toyotas are too dull for even my grandmother, so I'm thinking your son won't care for it either) . Generally safer than compacts, they don't use much more fuel (my dad's 07 Civic got 37 MPG while following me up the interstate on a 300 mile trip; my '06 2.4L Accord got 35 MPG; we both had cruise control set).

Just a few thoughts from someone who was in that position not-too-long ago. By the way; I still have my old '96 Accord. It now has 195k miles on it, and gets used in my job as a courier where fender-benders and parallel parking follies occur... I plan to take it to grad school with me along with my 2006 this fall. :)
    It's true you can save a lot of money buying a slightly used car, or get a much nicer car for the same money as a small car. One advantage of getting a new or nearly-new car is that it will be more likely to have the latest safety features, including good crash protection (6 airbags etc.) and ESC. The 2010 Corolla for example has ESC standard now, as do the 2010 Mazda3, 2009 Jetta/Rabbit, 2009 Impreza and most new mid-sized cars.
    hmmmm... not for nuthin', but he never mentioned his son's age. He could be 45 years old with 4 kids looking for his 8th car for all we know.

I still need more info to make a suggestion, personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

My son is 18. We previously bought a 96 Jeep from a relative. It is a piece of crap.While I spent most of my youth fixing cars, this one is not worth it. A used car in the 7 to $10,000 range max, could be considered. I'd like to know the best cars to look for and the best places to find them. Input is much appreciated.
    BMW
    It's possible the Jeep qualifies for the clunker cash. If so, you might be able to go for a new car vs. a used car and still stay under $10k out of pocket before tax and fees. Some decent new cars for a young person in the $13-14k range are the Yaris, Versa, Focus, and Elantra. Dealers are dealing so you might be able to find a larger car like the Fusion (2009) or Optima in that range also.
    What exactly is clunker cash?
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    It is explained here.
    http://www.cars.gov/
  • kathyc2kathyc2 Member Posts: 159
    Don't forget to factor in the insurance cost as you are looking. At that age insurace cost can be almost as much as the car payment!
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    jbbevel: Couldn't agree with you more..... Mazda 3 sport ( Grand Touring - most preferable) has it head oevr heels on the Subbie, the Corolla - No contest; . I test drove the Imprezza hatchback.Just Ok..... AWD is definetely a draw, but found it to be cheap plasticey in the interior. The Eleantra is very good, nice Warranty, Buyer's assurance, did lack some pep though...

I ended up getting a 2008.5 Mazda 3 s Touring (Mazda made too many variants in the model choices IMO - that must be the Ford influences). Made a great deal @$16,950. I was really looking for a 2009 Mazda 3 s GT, none to be found on the East Coast in April. The 2010 was real appetizing, but it just came out: no discounts.
  • jbbeveljbbevel Member Posts: 28
    Hmmm....

that's exactly what I'm down to deciding now. It's between the new car and the slightly used. It's hard because I really like the new 2010 Mazda's... but the 08 and 09's can be had for thousands less.

Thinking 2010 s Sport Hatchback with Bose/Moonroof at about 20K
    or
    thinking 2008/9 s Sport hatchback w/ less than 30K miles at about 16-17K.

:confuse:
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    on alternatives to the pick-up truck and SUVs for cargo holding and light towing (<2000lbs.). Any ideas? I'm not really impressed with the small truck offerings due to their prices if I want seating for 4/5 people which I would like. The vehicles I am curious about are the Elantra Touring, Subaru Impreza Hatchback, Mazda 3 Hatchback. I can't think of anything else. If I'm missing some, please let me know. Thanks for your sugestions/comments.
    Also, I would like to stay under $20,000 buying new.
    The Elantra Touring, Impreza, and Mazda3 don't have a towing capacity anywhere close to 2000 pounds. Have you considered a small cross-over type SUV, which drives much more like a car than an SUV? For example, the Sportage V6 could be had for under $20k and can tow up to 2000 pounds (the I4 can tow up to 1500). It's quite roomy for up to 5 people. Another option, maybe hard to find new under $20k but there's the used option, is the VW Jetta Sportwagen--it can tow up to 2000 pounds and would definitely handle like a car (because it is). So maybe check out small crossover SUVs ala Sportage and RAV4 V6 (probably have to go used on that one to stay under $20k), or even the Santa Fe, which has big discounts now, and small wagons that can tow (pretty rare) like the Sportwagen.
    Thanks backy for your comments. I will take them under consideration. I knew the Mazda doesn't have a towing capacity and believe it's not recommended, but pretty sure the Impreza can tow up to 2000lbs. The Elantra use to be able to tow up to 3000lbs., I believe , with trailer brakes. I saw this on the Edmunds website at one time. You're right that I'd have to go used with the Volkswagens and Toyotas.

Do you know much about how the I4 in the Sportage does as far as enough power to pull and carry 5 and what about gas mileage? Do you have or know someone that owns one?

Thanks again!
    The Elantra Touring has a towing capacity of only 750 pounds I think. It is heavier than the sedan but has the same engine. The current Elantra sedan doesn't have the same towing rating as the 2001-2006 Elantra for some reason. The 2009 Impreza 2.5i (the only one available for anything close to $20k) doesn't seem to have a published towing capacity. Where did you see it can tow up to 2000 lbs.?

The Sportage V6 has pretty good power for its size, and has a pretty good towing capacity as I mentioned. I've only driven the I4 Sportage and even with only 138 hp (same engine as the Elantra) I thought it moved OK--no barn burner of course. But that was only with 2 people in it, not towing, and not the V6. You might check the Sportage discussion for owner opinions, and for real-world fuel economy numbers. For fuel economy, I think you'd actually do just as well or even better with a larger crossover, such as the Santa Fe or RAV4.
    Wow, I wonder what happened to the tow capacity for the Elantras?!! I think where I got the info for the Impreza was based on the fact that it has the same engine as it's bigger cousins: Forester and Outback. I knew they were good for that.

The Sportage sounds like the way to go with the v6, anyway. I still think the Santa Fe and RAV4 will be out of my price range, although the Santa Fe would be my best bet to negotiate. Toyota won't budge on the RAV4.

Thanks again on your quick reply and info. It will help!
    It is quite possible to get a new Santa Fe around $20k, e.g. invoice on a GLS with AT and tow hitch is just over $23k, and there's a $2000 rebate now plus dealers are dealing on these. (For example, Fitzmall offers GLSes with AT for under $20k.) You might even be able to find an SE, with the superior powertrain (3.3L V6 + 5AT) for just a bit over $20k (Fitzmall's start at $21.4k). The RAV4 will be higher, but I noticed Fitzmall has new I4 RAV4s starting at just over $20.4k. But those have a towing capacity of only 1500 lbs., with the tow prep package. This is well under list, so it looks like Toyota dealers will budge on the RAV4. Toyota sales are down quite a bit this year.

I notice Subaru has pretty low lease payments on the Forester, e.g. $279 for 3 years with nothing down except acquisition fee being offered in my area. That might be another route for you.
    Thanks, backy for your swift replies! I'll consider all of them. :)
    Well, I've ended up going with the new 2010 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback 6 speed Manual Transmission. I decided to dump the upgraded stereo and Moonroof option... just didn't seem worth another $1200.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Has any boardie used or have experience with the no-haggle Costco buying service? I am not a Costco member yet so I was wondering:
    1) Is it worth it to buy a $50 membership? and
    2) Are the savings they promote significantly better than what I could get haggling the old fashioned way?

Furthermore, does Costco tend to recommend dealerships close to metropolitan areas or are they inclined to recommend out-of-the-way dealerships in Podunck USA?
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    I think you have to take the Costco Buying Service... on a case by case basis. I used it to buy my wife's 2007 Toyota RAV 4... brand new.... back in 07.. I could not seem to get Toyota dealer to nudge much on the prices.... ended up just going with the Costco deal.. and did okay...

Comparatively, I just bought a new 2010 Mazda 3 on monday.... I used Edmunds and got quotes from about 7 dealers... told them I was pre-approved and would buy on monday ( end of month, end of quarter ) and would take the best dealer quote. I ended up doing better than Costco program or another program I was considering. Got my new ride for $400 below invoice... Costco was about $200 over invoice. So i made out with a $600 savings... by doing my homework and timing it right.

Good luck! ;)
    Just got quoted $ 4500 worth of clunker cash.
    and, $350.00 a mo payments for 60 mo on a new Mazda 3 hatchback with Bose and moonroof. Hows that sound?
    BMW
    Well...

You've gotta give us more information than what your payment is. What's the total cost, and out the door after Tax, title and license? :)
  • r000r000 Member Posts: 53
    Doesn't sound very good...

The MSRP is $24,445
    Minus 4500, that puts you around $20000 retail. But who pays retail?
    Your response contains about as much detail as his post, so I guess its appropriate. ;b

IF he did pay $20k after the government aid, add tax and tags, and even at 0% it would be $361/mo.

Got 2 more quotes for 3 Hatchback with Bose and $200.00 paint option. $21250 + fees and $21034 + fees.$350.00 for 60 mos @ 3.9% $4500 clunker cash. ?????
    BMW
    In my last post I stated that the 3 dealers that I contacted were all about at the same pricing. Does this pricing sound correct. Is there any way to get it lower?
    BMW
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Honda announced a new vehicle. Are there any spy pictures available?

07/07/2009 - Torrance, CA - An all-new crossover vehicle based on the award-winning Honda Accord will go on-sale in the fall of 2009 as the "Accord Crosstour," American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today. This new addition to the Honda lineup will be sold as a 2010 model. Additional information will be announced later in the year.

Host:
    We need a seperate category for this vehicle within the Honda Forum.
    Let the discussions begin!
  • valentin650valentin650 Member Posts: 19
    Hi,
    I am looking for a luxury sedan. My budget is around $35,000, so I think that leaves me with 2007 models. Things are that are important to me (in order of importance are):
    1) Comfort (i am 6'5")
    2) Reliability
    3) Safety
    4) Gadgets (nav system, park assist, backup camera, bluetooth)
    5) Cost (Buying cost + cost to own)

I started out with 6 choices: Infiniti M35, MB E350, Lexus GS350, Acura TL, Audi A6, and BMW 535. Lexus and BMW were knocked out first. Lexus is too small for me, and BMW is all about performance instead of comfort/reliability. My top two choices right now are M35 and E350 (Acura seems to get lower scores than Infiniti, and Audi gets lower scores then MB).

What do people think? What I don't like about M35 is that it is a louder/rougher ride than MB. It also carried a lot less prestige then MB. However, it has a lot of options, is cheaper, and has a roomier cabin. MB gets much lower reliability scores and has fewer options, but is a smoother/quieter ride. Also, should I be spending time looking at Acura/Audi or are Infiniti/MB just better options.

Thanks
    I think that leaves me with 2007 models. Things are that are important to me (in order of importance are):
    1) Comfort (i am 6'5")
    2) Reliability
    3) Safety
    4) Gadgets (nav system, park assist, backup camera, bluetooth)
    5) Cost (Buying cost + cost to own)

Well you don't have to settle for a 2007 because the 2009 or 2010 Hyundai Genesis sedan (North American car of the year) seems like the perfect car for you. The Genesis 3.8 with the tech package is an upscale luxury sedan that rivals all of the models you mentioned. And when it comes time to stretch your legs the Genesis has no equal because it is even larger than the BMW 750 Li.
    Problem I see with your suggestion is that the poster expressed at least some concern with "prestige."

Problem I see with your suggestion is that the poster expressed at least some concern with "prestige."

Good point, except the poster claims he can only afford $35K of second hand prestige.
    Also, reliability is the #2 requirement yet MB is on the short list. Some people will overlook anything to have that 3-pointed star in their driveway. :sick:
  • valentin650valentin650 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for your input.

Prestige is a concern to me, but not a huge one. I would rather have MB instead of Hyundai if all the other parameters are equal, but I would rather have the Hyundai if it is a better car. I was considering genesis, but I heard that it has a poor suspension and is very bumpy on rough roads (comfort is a major concern for me). The reason MB is on my short list despite reliability concerns is that so far it has been the most comfortable car to drive. I thought about getting a CPO MB so the warranty would counter the reliability issues. I will give Genesis another look since I hear a lot of people suggesting it (what about Azera? is Genesis much better?).
    The Azera is a good car but not in the class of cars you are considering.

The best way to find out if the Genesis' suspension is an issue for you is to take one for a long test drive, over a variety of road surfaces.

If you like how the MB drives the best, the CPO warranty would minimize the reliability concern.
    Ya know, as I'm picking out the details in your posts, the more I'm thinking you should check out a preowned Volvo S80. A real quick search and I found a CPO '07 V8 AWD for $27k. The Yamaha V8 has been proving reliable thus far. Tops the list in comfort. Of course its safe. And its alot of car for the money.

I agree with backy. I'm reading a lot of "I heard..." but very little "I felt..."

You may do yourself a huge favor by throwing test scores and ratings out the window and driving some of these yourself! One person's bumpy is another person's comfortable.

Happy Hunting!
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The 2010 Taurus may deserve a test drive. It has gotten good reviews for comfort, handling, styling, luxury, and gee whiz electronics.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    You should test drive a Cadillac CTS. They seem to be well rated and the interior is excellent. Perhaps even a Chrysler 300. 2009 is the last year for the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. The American manufacturers tend to do well with large luxury cars. It is the smaller compact cars that they just do not get at all. To me, most Lexus,Infiniti, and Acura cars look like they came out of the same cookie cutter. Most lack distinction IMO.
  • kochokocho Member Posts: 3
    I have a bit of trouble making up the mind. 2001 Lexus LS430 with 78K miles for 15500 or a brand new 2009 Subaru Impreza sports Wagon for 19500? Which is a better good for price? Lexus is luxury but 2001 model Subaru is standard shift but brandnew. I drive up to 10000 miles a year only.
    What do you think depending on your experience?
    I will be using the car only for city driving.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Wow, I don't think I could ever come up with a stranger vehicle comparison...

In any event, even though it's a Lexus, it's a rather old used one. That being the case, I'd have a mechanic check it over, as you don't know how well the car was maintained. I'd also get a CarFax on it to see if it's been in an accident.

Obviously the Lexus won't get the gas mileage of the Impreza, and it requires premium gas.

The Impreza will be much better in foul weather and bad roads (rain, snow, gravel, potholes, etc.), thanks to the AWD. Lastly, the Impreza will be more fun to drive (although a stick-shift could be a hassle in town), and is far more practical and flexible in terms of hauling stuff thanks to the 5-door configuration.

Bob
  • luvfishingluvfishing Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at a new Subaru Legacy and the dealer nearby was advertising an 06 Lexus 430 (Lexus certified) with 49K mile for $31,000. The Lexus price could probably haggled down a bit but I was surprised that the price was so close to the Legacy. So I started comparing the two. The Lexus has all the premium features (Levinson stereo, navigation, etc.) but no AWD. Lexus also has the 3 year 100K warranty.

Now I'm torn - as the Lexus is in very good condition and has a clean CarFax history report.

Never thought I would be comparing the two. The Subaru has the better handling but the plush, cushy ride (and quiet) of the Lexus is nice.

I must be getting old.
  • kochokocho Member Posts: 3
    For me, I am choosing to go with 2001 Lexus although I could not afford as much as you. I prefer it as it will be better in long run for comfort with bells and whistles plus reliability. It's been fun driving Subaru but the thrill run out after a few months. I will miss the handling but will trade for comfort.
    First, decide which car you would enjoy driving more. They will drive much differently, esp. auto vs. stick. If that is not a deciding factor for you, then think about whether you have the extra money to pay for repairs for the Lexus. They are reliable, but it's nearly 9 years old and when parts do break, especially the electronics, they can be very expensive to replace. OTOH, the Impreza has a full warranty for 3 years and powertrain for five years, so no worries about unexpected repairs for awhile.

If you live where snow and ice are found, the Impreza offers a huge advantage over the RWD Lexus. Also it has the convenience of a hatchback, which I find comes in very handy. Also easier to park, in all your city driving. (I find some garage spaces are tight even for a compact these days.)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Also, consider financing costs..

Unless you are paying cash, I'd guess that a loan on a 9-yr old car that sells in the teens is going to come with a pretty high interest rate..

I have no doubt that the new Subaru will be cheaper to own, over whatever time period that you want to use... But, if you can afford it (meaning payment, maintenance, fuel, etc.. ), then get whatever you like best.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator