Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    A few posts back someone wanted a good, reliable family sedan with V6 and good resale, but not much in the way of frills. He wanted to stay in the ballpark of an Accord LX V6. As oppossed to an Accord LX V6, people have suggested the Alero, Impala (base), Malibu, and 300M. They are fine cars, but he said reliable and good resale. A 2000 base Impala carries a trade in value of about $9566. A 2000 Malibu has a trade in of about $7417, an Alero GLS is worth $11,442, a 300M will trade in around $18,003. A 2000 Accord LX V6 has a trade in of about $14,107. The 300M carries a new MSRP of $28,340 and a new Accord LX V6 has a MSRP of $22,600. The 300M dropped $10,337 in value to the Accord's $8493. As far as reliable goes, the 2000 base Impala had no recalls, but 111 Technical Service Bulletins written for it. The 2001 Impala did better with still no recalls, and only 52 TSBs. The 2000 Malibu also had no recalls, but 104 TSBs. The 2001 Malibu improved to only 55 TSBs. The 2000 Alero GLS had no recalls and 115 TSBs. The 2001 Alero GLS improved to only 53 TSBs. The 2000 300M had 4 recalls and 36 TSBs. The 2001 300M improved to 1 recall and 20 TSBs. The 2000 Accord LX V6 did have 1 recall, but only 36 TSBs. The 2001 Accord LX V6 had no recalls and 6 TSBs. I guess Honda figured out what went wrong with the 2000 model. Again, I think these other cars are fine, but the Accord LX V6 definately meets his requirements better.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    I do agree, that for the money, the Accord is the best value around. Personally, I'd say the VTEC 4Cyl engine. It's several thousand less and has enough pickup for day to day driving.

However, it's got one problem - even as Edmunds posted for several years ;) It's got the personality of Al Gore. My wife almost got one, but she just wanted something with more looks.

If you are concerned primarily with resale, Honda or Acura are great. Toyota's not too bad, but the fully loaded Camrys go well over $30k nowadays.

As for the discounts - there are all sorts of special promotions going on now for the M. $6-7k off sticker should be easy. You could prolly get up to $8k if you push it. Try some of the online places to get quotes - edmunds has one they link to. Plus the 0% is a big savings.

I'd just recommend you drive one. You'll either hate it or love it :)
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I am confused as to your obsession with the Accord. As I mentioned clearly in my post, Accord clearly has higher resale value than the cars I recommended. However, I have compared the cars side-by side and offered some real-world insight. I assume that is what the person with the question was looking for.

For example, although I would not choose the Malibu, it is the closest match to the Accord. While it's resale is not as good, it also costs a cool $5,000 less (with rebate). For a person looking for a no-frills car, it saves you serious money up front and still offers superior cargo capacity (extra 3 Cubic feet).

While the Malibu has fewer recalls and more TSB's than the Accord, I do not feel it is unreliable due to the experience of my peers. TSB's, while quantifiable, are not absolute indicators of your ownership experience. My 1993 Ranger had more TSB's than all of these vehicles, yet I have not been to the shop once.

Personally, if reliability and resale statistics are your main criteria, I would take a Camry over the Accord. In addition to it's known quality and high resale, it offers more cargo capacity and better looks...all for the same price.
    I'm not married to the Accord. I just think it's the best fit to the requirements. I don't even own a Honda myself. Just trying to help.
  • magerbermagerber Member Posts: 1
    I am the mother of two boys, ages 5 and 3. My mother just bought a Volvo S40 that has a very cool feature in it, integrated child booster seats. The rear seats fold up and eliminate the need for a booster seat for children who are too big for a car seat, but not large enough for adult size seat belts to be safe.

I will be in the market for a new car in the near future (I currently drive a 1991 Honda Accord with 204,000 miles on it), and I want to know why more manufacturers don't offer this booster seat feature. Also, it doesn't appear as one of the options on the Edmunds' site for the 2002 Volvos. Does Volvo even still offer it? If the answers to these questions are no, does anyone have any idea why?
    Good question magerber! I seem to remember this being offered on Dodge caravans a long time ago. I remember thinking this would spread and become standard equipment one day. I look forward to anyone's insight on this.
    I don't know why they seem to have disappeared. I don't think Dodge and Chrysler have offered them for a while. My mother-in-law has one in her Buick. I guess they died off because people realized they had a limited "shelf life" and decided to to pay for them.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    They were dropped because they did not sell that well. My brother had them in their 98 Grand Voyager, but does not in his 2000. His 4 daughters outgrew them, I guess.
    I meant to say "decided NOT to buy them." I figure you could have guessed that. With the Grand Voyager, I think that's exactly it. It was like a $200 or $250 option and they can't be used very long. You can buy 2 car seats for less than $250.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Alero: you said it had more cargo room than an Accord. That's true on paper, 14.1cu vs 14.6. On a recent trip to the airport, I easily fit all our luggage into the trunk of a Camry (14.1cu and nearly identical trunk design of the Accord). However, when we arrived my Alero rental wouldn't hold it all. If I remember correctly, the Alero had a very low shelf in the back and I couldn't stack my bags as I had in the Camry. Just a little tidbit because .5cu isn't much especially if the entire design isn't user friendly. I really liked the Alero though otherwise. It was loaded with leather, cd, moonroof, alloys. Nice car. Could've used some more oomph, but not bad. Kinda noisey, but alot of the roads in HI are grooved so it's hard to compare. Drove more like my wifes Galant V6 which is to say more entertaining than the Camry/Accord.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    I would suggest at least taking a look at the new 2002 Altima. Very nice car, roomier and more powerful than either camry or accord. It is also a much more interesting car. It has considerable more style than most Japanese cars, and is more fun to drive
    You may want to check the Camry trunk size again. It is my understanding that the Camry trunk is 16.7 cubic feet. I didn't have a chance to check it today, but that's what I seem to remember.

Was it an older Camry? I agree that .5 cubic feet is not any real difference. My point was that even the little alero had as much cargo room as the accord.
    It's a 97 Camry which is smaller than the newest one. The Alero is definetely smaller than my Camry and at the time I felt the trunk was much smaller than the Camrys as well. But then I looked at specs and as you noted they are very close as far as specs go. 4 bags went into the Camry trunk without thought, only 3 would go into the Alero. Had to stick one of the large ones in the back seat.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The Alero is definitely smaller inside then the Accord but it's a smaller car overall. At least 5 inches shorter. Make sure you check out the backseat of the Alero. It has decent leg room but it's not the most comfortable seat and fitting a booster seat is ..well...try it for yourself. Going back to the original post of reliable no frills car. the Malibu is a viable option to the Accord. But if re-sale value is important then youhave to take the malibu, Alero, Impala and 300 M out of the equation. Their re-sale value is no where near the Accord or Camry. Quite honestly the Camry re-sale value took a hit last year. I think it had to do with leasing so many cars over the past 4 years that the used car market is loaded with them. In newspapers around here, the same year and mileage Camry's (LE vs. LX) are selling for about $1000 less then the Accords.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • waterloo1waterloo1 Member Posts: 2
    Some time ago I posted an inquiry about two vehicles that I was having a difficult time choosing between, the Max or the Accord. Just to let everyone know I chose the Accord. In Canada they are building a Special Edition V6 with all the EX features except leather. Great lease rates at present and the Nisan dealer could not match the price. I realize some are going to say the Max is more car but the difference was not worth the additional cost. I'm looking forward to picking up the Accord this week. Have a good Christmas everyone.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Yes, the accord is a lot of car for the money. You could get a left over 01 EX with the VTEC for $20k...
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier, holiday stuff got me busy; WOW! I didn't realize the reliability diff. bet. the 2 cars was that much; Also, I found out the 2000 TC has side Air bags, ABS,and Traction Control STANDARD! Also, the '03 CV will come out quickly according to Edmunds.com, so there goes resale value;
    One minor question to you; I live in KC MO, and we get ice/snow during winters; Does TC or CV handle better? Tips/Tricks?
  • jay004jay004 Member Posts: 5
    Accords to me are very over-rated cars. In terms of performance (for a family sedan) there is nobody better than Maxima plus it is just as reliable as a Honda these days although none of these two are as reliable as a Toyota. (SIDE NOTE: I AM AN ACCORD OWNER). The other day I went to the REVIEWS section here on EDMUNDS and I found the 2000 Maxima out scored Accord in most categories. It would have came second or first (on the list of the TOP TEN FAMILY SEDANS) but it only got 58% of the Editors recommendation. WHY? ITS A MYSTERY TO ME.
  • 4apexs4apexs Member Posts: 36
    Need advice...
    I live in upper midwest, travel 40k/yr, 80% interstate, 70-80mph, want to get 150-200K out of car. Getting old so comfort #1, dependability #2, gas mileage #3, some snow, so fwd #4.
    Considering new base model of Avalon, Maxima, Passat.
    Questions:
    How comfortable is driving - 200-500mi/day?
    Real world highway mileage is?
    With good maintanance, will it live to 150-200K?
    Thanks!
    For that kind of driving (similar to my pattern) I recommend a Chevy Impala. Even the Base model, with the 3.4 is a great highway cruiser. The engine is quiet, has lots of power and is very reliable. You can't beat the highway MPG either, 34MPG or more. I drove this for 2 weeks in Atlanta during July...Air was on all the time and got 34 highway, 32 mixed driving.

I wish my car had a tachometer because it seems like it is hardly running at 70+ MPH. Surprisingly, it is finally getting good reviews from various enthusiasts. For a small upgrade you can have the 3.8L engine.
    Good idea! The big GM comfy seats would make for a good highway cruiser. Of the cars listed, would think Avalon would be the best bet--just my opinion, though.
    If you must pick from the cars listed, I'd take the Avalon too. I love the interior layout and it's a nice ride.

However, try the Impala and I think you'll be sold. I too think the seats are very comfortable...especially for base seats. Not that this is a big deal, but the RDS is great for road warriors! It works great here in the Northeast, not sure how well it works in the west.
    I've heard some complaints on the Avalon seats, but you really need to do the sitting yourself. One car can be completely comfortable to one person and bad for another. The Avalon I drove was very comfy.

I've had several Impala rentals and they are great cruisers and meet all the requirements you listed. Bench seats not the greatest IMHO. We drove an Impala LS for quite awhile and the leather buckets with heat were much better. I'd spring for the 3.8L over the 3.4L. The 3.8L isn't as smooth as the Toyota/Nissan V6's, but it's pretty good. Power is good and very quiet cruising. If you're offended by some silly plastic assembly & visible screws here and there then maybe you won't like the Impala. But I would definetely at least consider it. Very comfy for long trips, excellent reliability from what I've seen, 30mpg should be easy, traction control is available, and the price is very appealing.

The Max is a good car, but smaller than the Avalon. Not going to be as comfortable (ride, room, etc.) but still a good car. VW is a beautiful car, but not practical to plan on 200K trouble free miles. I'm not saying it can't be done, but they just seem to be more "needy".

Your talking about driving 50K per year minimum. You also need to consider maintenance costs. Avalon requires timing belt changes, spark plugs @ 60K, and other items Impala won't need as often. I used to drive that much and ran 200K up on two Camry V6's. Looking back the extra maintenance costs were worth it because I had very little in repair costs and was never stuck without a vehicle. However, I think the Impala is very capable and a much better choice over what I was picking from in the early to mid-90's. My 3rd and newest Camry V6 was a bit of a flop and an employee has been driving it since around 50K. Still no major problems at over 100K, but just not screwed together like the others were. If I was going back to the days of running 60K per year I'd be looking closely at the Impala just from a practical standpoint.
  • 4apexs4apexs Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for all your responses.... I would have not considered the Impala - last one I drove was a 1970!! I've posted same question on several sites - based on comfort being #1 - majority seems to favor Avalon.
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    Hi,

This is probably a rather strange choice I've come down to in my car shopping but would appreciate any thoughts. I want to purchase a new vehicle for under $20K and have narrowed it down to two choices: the Subaru Forester and the Hyundai Sonata. I can get a base-level Forester 5-Speed for $19,200 and a top of the line Sonata for $18,900 (with antilock brakes). My requirements are as follows and for the most part are rank-ordered:

1. Want something fun to drive. Our other vehicle is a minivan and it just doesn't excite me so I would like to get something that I can look forward to driving

2. Want something that I can reasonably expect to put 150,000 miles on. I plan to pass this on to my son when I finish paying for it in 5 years

3. Need to be able to reasonably transport the family of 5 though that is primarily what the van is for.

4. We get 2-3 snowstorms here in Northern VA per year and I would like to feel comfortable driving in it though this is not a big deal

5. Everything else: Warranty, good gas mileage, reasonable insurance, etc

I am leaning towards the Sonata at this point but my one concern is that I have been driving a CR-V for the past 3 years and have heard it is hard to transition back to a sedan after driving a sports utility. On the other hand, I think SUVs are overrated.

Would appreciate comments.

Thankful that I have a choice

Dave
    The Forester is better built, more fun to drive and doesn't need a warranty. Ok, nobody builds a perfect car, but the Subarus can take a beating.

Not that I buy vehicles for resale, but the Subaru is also better in this department.

I agree with SUV's being overrated. (I own a car, minivan and truck) Are you open to any other choices?
    jpelder-thanks for your comments on the Subaru v. the Hyundai. I am open to other choices. Your thoughts?

Dave
    Sorry to do this but how about the new Altima? As far as your requirments go, an S-model 4cyl should ring in your price range. Has pretty decent options and you can pick if you want a manual or automatic. I've not driven the Sonata or the Forester but I'd have a hard time believing either one would put more of a smile on your face. I think the odds are just as good for the Altima hitting 150K as the others. It's a bit bigger than the others. FWD should do fine in the snow. Warranty isn't as good as Hyundai obviously. Gas mileage is proably better in real life driving. No idea on the insurance, I've never noticed much of a difference between cars once I hit a certain age. All within a few dollars a month.

I know you weren't considering it, but it was recently released and thought maybe you hadn't checked it out. Your #1 priority was fun factor and it far exceeds the other in my book. Of course your idea of a fun driver could be totally different than mine as I guess we are talking family sedans. My biggest hitch with the Hyundai is resale value. I know you plan to keep it, but if you had to sell it you'd take a severe beating. And in 6-7 years you might not be able to give it away. I was at a dealer auction a few weeks ago and Hyundai's/Kia's were sooooo cheap it was kinda funny. '01 cars selling for 30%-40% of their new price. If you're really stuck on one, you could save $5,000-$6000 easily used.
    those are 2 very strange choices you have there: Sonata vs Forrester. Esp. after looking at your requirements. I don't think either vehicle can comfortably seat 5 people. The Forester rear seat is tight as well as the Sonata. And I wouldn't describe either vehicle as fun to drive. neither has a powerful engine. But with a family of five, how much fun can you have in a car. If you live in Northern VA and it snows, I'm guessign everything is shut down so driving in the snow is more an issue of having good tires on your vehicle then having AWD.

As far as warranty, reliablity, etc., It will probably even out. The Subaru is more reliable but the Sonata has the better warranty. Plus you get more for your money with the Sonata. One option I would seriously look at is a leftover 2001 Accord. Good reliablity, spacious backseat, fun to drive...no but it will last you a long time and it has the best reliability and highest re-sale value in the midsize class.

If you are sold on the Sonata and Forester, I would go with the Sonata. More bang for the buck. I can't make any claim it will last 150,000 miles but you do have anice warranty.
    I too, was puzzled with your choices...mostly because you don't need a snowmobile and need to occasionally carry 5 people. With the criteria you mentioned, a couple of other cars come to mind.

1. Yesterday I picked up a 2002 alero sedan. It is a fun ride, especially with my 5 speed manual. This has the same bumper/bumper warranty as the Hyundai, and is well under your price target. I paid 14,700(actually 11,500 after GM card points) straight sale.

Since I too have a van, it is not my my primary vehicle, but can reasonably carry 5 as long as the rear seat is for kids. While the Ecotech 2.2 is considered reliable, I have no idea about the 150,000 benchmark. I prefer 6 or 8 cylinders for that kind of durability.

2. A base Subaru legacy. It can be had for your price range, yet still has AWD. It has more room than the forester and can take a beating. I drove one of these for work and loved it. You can also get it with a stick...for added fun. 150,000 miles should not be a problem.

3. You may be surprised that some v-6 cars get as good or better mileage than these cars. Some options are Malibu or base Impala...both lots of room and engines that will last. Neither of these are sports sedans though.

I'm not sure how many leftover 01 cars are available, but the Accord fits the reliability catagory.
    Thanks for all the great inputs and advice on my rather strange choice of cars. For what it is worth (perhaps not very much), perhaps I can explain how I arrived at these two choices:

- The Mrs likes SUVs and her input does make a difference--the only one I could find that I felt comfortable with the price and reliability was the Subaru. The CRVs ( a bit too expensive), XL-7 (expense) and Sportage (reliability and size) were others that I considered but ruled out. The Forester seems quite nice but a bit small. I just don't like the whole aura that surrounds the SUV and its drivers

- As for sedans, if I were to buy one, I want one that is fun to drive. I have had a few Accords and as much as I liked them, they strike me as really dull (no offense to Accord owners). I like the looks of the new Altima quite a bit but they are selling at a premium right now. I have not looked at the Alero but plan to so thanks for the input on it. The reason I've focused on the Sonata is that they seem to be drawing raves from everywhere I've checked--the fact that I can get a V-6 leather sedan for under $19K is amazing to me. I hadn't heard very much in the negative column though the comment about 2001 used Sonatas selling at 40% of MSRP scares me I must admit.
    Is the Sonata a case of you get what you pay for or is the timing right to buy one considering that it is starting to be mentioned in the same breath as the Honda (without snickering)?
    I'm still torn but am in no rush--thanks for everyone's thoughts for this schizophrenic prospective buyer

Dave
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    or a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic;
    1) They're cheap esp. program aka rental cars
    15995 for an '01 loaded GM
    2) They ride great!
    3) The engine will last! Look how many CV's are in use with police!
    4) The T/C is great and good bargain too;!
    Bad?
    Rear wheel drive

Hope it helps
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    i have a 1999 loaded sonata, 70,000+ miles in 27 months, and plan to keep it at least 2 more years, that should be over 100,000+ easily(by end of 2002).

now, you do take a hit if you are into trading every 3 years. If you kep your vehicles at least 4+ years, Sonata is the way to go.
    (or you drive 35,000 miles per year like us).
    No matter what car you get, you go over 100,000 miles in 3 years, you ain't gettin' much for sale or trade-in.(we have owned Nissans and Chevies and Buicks...so same goes for them, over 100,000 , low resale).
    DAVE, I feel your pain trying to satisfy your wife. You need to do what some of us do...analyze everthing repeatedly and include your wife on your findings. Soon, it will overwhelm her and she will just tell you to get whatever you think is best!

That said, I agree that the Forester is the best for your criteria if you must have an SUV for the wife pleasing quotient.

While agree with Suburbank about the Crown Vic (I'd love to drive a grand marquis), etc, Not all people like the cushy ride (sometimes I think they just don't like the ludicrous old fogey stigma). The RWD does not have the winter traction of FWD...which seems to be a problem for women drivers, and I personally never buy used cars.

A nice car for your range might be a Grand Prix SE. Definitely sporty, Very solid, and lots of room. The SE does not have all the body cladding of the other models. I have a feeling your wife might like the looks too. I'm not a pontiac guy, but it really impressed me. I'm not a fan of orange dash lights and probably never will be, but they do stand out. GM just announced $2002 cash back, so it will be well below 20,000.
    John,

Thanks for your messages on this. Do you know my wife :) ? I am so anal about collecting information and it tends to drive her crazy.

Well, I think I finally convinced her that a sedan would be okay. I don't know why I have had such a hard time thinking American but the GM rebate and your comments have me looking.

I am still intrigued by the Hyundai--road a few this weekend and was extremely impressed with everything from price to performance. The comments on these boards are equally convincing.

Fortunately, I am in no rush. Again, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts

Dave
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Dave: I'm in a similar position of considering unlike cars, only I can't blame anyone else for my indecision. With me, the choice is down to Forester or something like a Maxima or Altima. Without getting into my problems, let me suggest you wait about three months to see what the new Forester is going to be like. My inner adult has already decided that the Forester would make more sense for me than just about anything. The inner child is pouting, holding out for a Ferrari. But I hope the new Forester is going to be so appealing that the inner child will fall in love with it.
    Storyteller: I just heard that a new Forester is coming out. I am excited about it as well. Do you have any idea on the price range?

Dave
    Dave,

When it comes to cars, I think most women have a bit in common. I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who trusts my judgement more than her own impulsive nature.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to steer you to an american car. Like I said, the legacy is a great car. For your price range, the domestics offer alot of car for the money.

I look at all cars, and am pretty stingy so I judge by personal experience...not popular perception. I realize that people's first impressions of a car are based on looks and price.

One thing I have against the korean cars are overall quality and repair costs. I'll never get over the cost of brakes and other routine maintenance parts (fuel filter, etc.) for 2 Korean cars I worked on. THey were at least 2 to 4 times more expensive than domestic parts. I always heard japanese cars were that way, but I never had one to work on.

Another thing I have against hyundai's is the poor fuel economy in relation to their engine performance. For example, the 3.1 in the grand prix gets better economy than a 2.7 sonata, despite being a heavier car. An impala 3.4 gets even better mileage.

Happy hunting!
    The big problem with both of these cars is (going back to your original post) neither car can seat 5 comfortably and neither is fun to drive esp. in an automatic.

The Alero is nice but again the seating for 5 is tight (very tight). Take a serious look at the Chevy Impala Base esp. with the $2002 back. Also you may want to consider a used Accord (99-00). You may even be able to get a V6 for $18-$19k.

This is a tough one. I understand your commitment to staying under $20k. Went through the same process in JUly with the same financial restraints. I ended up buying a Chevy Malibu LS. I'vm very happy with that purchase but it may not fit your longterm reliability. Bought it for $17.1 with $1500 back from Chevy. Also look at the Saturn L200. I believe that goes for less then $20k. Compare those to the Sonata. I imagine they all will come out about the same. One may ride better then teh others. Or one may handle better then another. In this price class most cars are similar except they may have different characters. The reliability is hit or miss outside of the Toyota and Honda fields.

Good luck with your searching. Keep us up too date.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    dmarzo1: No, no rumors about price. I'm expecting a price increase in line with usual increases. Power will be up. There is some speculation that the platform will move up from Impreza to Legacy, which would increase size (and cost) a bit more. Someone on the inside has posted to the effect that we're gonna love the new one, but he won't say why. We'll know by April. Meanwhile, people who post on the Subaru boards are so friendly and helpful you wonder if you have to pass a personality test before they agree to sell you a Subaru. Buying a Subie is like joining a club of cool people.
    read Hyundai SF is ok on some gravel and minor dirt backroads,trails(without boulders or whatever,in the pathways)..
    good for foul weather, and can save about $5Grand vs forrester,or more(?)

I do not drive suv, and have not driven a santa fe...it looked good in showroom, and the above comments were in car and driver,etc, 2002 models reviews.

I do not care for Accents,either, but is sounds like you either need a family car or xuv/suv thing. Just keep on test driving, or do as i did a few yrs ago(before digital odometers) I owuld see a Hyundai, look at odometer in the parking lot and see alot of 70,000-113,000 mile vehicles witout rust, or torn up interiors,etc....

I figured after looking at 20 or so of these higher mileage cars, running daily, looking good after 3-8 years, and dierent models, they couldn;t be as bad as they said...or they wouldn't make it to 70,000-113,000+ miles without rust, or looking almost like new interiors,and i even checked tail pipe....see if there was excessive soot....!! No joke.
    I even looked on the under carriage of 5 of them, the older ones, or holes, rust, damage....

onbe problem, if you live reall far from a dealership, or only one in 100 miles...that could be a big deterrent, or anything you decide on. I know we have 2 subaru dealership in a 120 mile radius, and about1 0 Hyudnai dealerships(abou 100 GM/Ford,of course).

The 3Hyudnai dealerships near us are 37-55 miles away..the rest are 80-120 miles. See what I mean?
    same as LX nowaday. Like one guy said, it is up to your personal preferences.

Our sonata has 70,319 miles as of today, in 30 months....CD player was damaged in a 55 mph wreck, it will be fixed. The check engine light came on at 58,500...it was the timing belt getting ready to go(60,000 miles is recommended change out time) they replaced it FREE, under warranty.
    the dealership was kind of lying, though, I didn't knwo(now i do) that they are supposed to give you a FREE rental or warranty items, yet they charged me $32. Needless to say, we got our Tiburon somewhere else after that,and go to one tha will give you a car for major tune ups,free, or warranty items.
    Be sure to ask dealerships about this issue, it 'd be nice . the 60,000 mile tune up took about 6 hours, you could drop off car before work, drive a free rental to work, o wherever, and returnb when work is done.
    Well, thanks again for all the great comments. I had the itch to buy and decided to make a purchase tonight. I went with Hyundai but decided against the Sonata--going with the Elantra hatchback instead. I feel very good about the car--I think it meets most of my requirements. It is definitely fun to drive (IMHO) and I feel good about the potential of it lasting 150K miles (don't laugh at me). It will fit 4 comfortably but 5 will be cramped but we have a van so that is no big deal. Gas mileage is not quite as high as you would expect (24/31 I believe) but a bit better than the CR-V I am turning in. Insurance will rise $60 per 6 months but that is okay by me.

I went with the Elantra because it was $4K cheaper than the Sonata I wanted and I did not think the difference to me was worth that much money. The Elantra actually has better headroom than the Sonata. I got a deal that was about $700 below the Edmunds TMV so I feel great about that as well.

Would have liked to have seen the new Forester but I just can't see spending $22K. Am anxious to see it though. Will let you know my impression on the Elantra as time passes.

Thanks again

Dave
    First, the Sonata GLS V6 and the LX are not the same. The LX has leather seats, power seats, and an automatic climate control system. If you've ever had or been in a car with automatic climate control, you know it does not compare with manual! No real biggie as the major mechanicals are the same, but they are not the same car. Dave--sounds great on the Elantra GT! It seems like everyone who drives one buys one. That has to be great for the whole line. Congratulations and enjoy!
    Congratulations on your purchase, dmarzo1!!!! I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. Not a car from your original post but all that matters is that you and your wife are happy with it. Plus you save $5000 from your original budget. Go buy your wife a nice present...or better yet get yourself a new set of golf clubs.

Good luck with the Elantra.
    If a set of clubs costs $5000, then that must be why I don't play! :)
    Now there is a demographic schism...A hyundai owner with a $5000 club set! For that much money, you could get...let me see...a year old hyundai! Sorry, had to let loose on the resale.

Let me guess, hyundai owners also keep some grey poupon in the glove box!
    No $4000 set of clubs for me! But maybe a HDTV big screen?

I still have a few mixed feelings about Hyundai, but I haven't enjoyed driving a vehicle as much as this Elantra since my 89 Celica (have since had a 4-Runner, 2 Accords, Saturn, CR-V and an MPV) Plus there is plenty of room for a $4000 set of clubs if I had them. I think this will turn out to be a good purchase.

Dave

Dave
    I think you will be fine with the Elantra. Even if not, you only paid $13k for it. and you have a great warranty.

happy driivng.
    i was speaking of the 1999 GLS-V6 we own, it has leather, 8 wya power seats,yadda,yadda. I meant ot say that the 2002 LX is= to the OLD 1999 GLS... they had SOnata and the trumped up GLS , leather coulkd be added or not, to the V6 package, not for the 4 cylinder(Base model, in 1999).

Today, in 2002, GLS is cloth, from what I have seen....so in order to get leather(?), you NEED LX??
    I did see a special order Elantra GLS, it had tan leather seats,etc, for aroun $16grand(msrp)...not bad.
    The GT was ok, i like dit, but the bottom seat cushion on the car we test drove felt hard compared to the GLS Elantra leather, or even Tiburon's leather for some reason? Maybe a bad seat cushion(really, both front seats felt hard, bottom cushion, the seat backs were fine).

Gt is a nice car, except for the seat cushion(s) in the one car...maybe I'll see at the autoshow in March if it was just that on car with bum-seats?