Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm partial to the Camry. Honda and Toyota have very good resale for a reason. I didn't hear about this "premature" brake-wear either until I did a web search.

I would recommend buying a copy of the CR auto guide and see what they say regarding 4 cyl family sedans.

I'm sure others will chime in with Sonota, Fusion, Mazda, Buick, etc.

How many miles a year and how long you want to keep the car might have a bearing on the recommendation.
  • danf67danf67 Member Posts: 5
    I put about 15k miles per year on my cars and I generally keep them until they are pretty much used up. I'll take them to 200k miles or more if I can.

I just looked through AutoTrader for Camry's 2008 and newer priced from $15k to $22k, less than 30k miles, within 100 miles of my home. There were a few XLE's available, but mostly the lower end models. The accords I was looking at have leather, power seats, but I didn't find that much in the Camry.

I think I will try to get out this weekend and drive a couple of Camry's and see what some other sales people say about other cars in this class.

I did sign-up for the CR subscription last night and have spent some time on the website. There is an ad on TV for the Fusion right now. Got a top award from JD Power. Maybe I should also consider it.

Thanks!
    I read that the remedy to the '08-'10 accord brake issue remedy is to put ceramic pad on the vehicle and adjust the Electronic Brake Distribution system.

Does anyone know what the performace of these vehicles is AFTER the appropriate adjustments have been made?
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of these vehicles. They all have different strengths and weaknesses.
    Thanks kd.

I have found a nice 2010 Altima too that I am going to look at tomorrow. They also have a 2010 accord on the lot in my price range. I found an article that has VIN #'s of 2010 accords that are covered by the class action suit and this isn't one of them. I'm just a little afraid to get into a car that is going to have brake issues. I have been there before.

I'd like to be able to find an article of testimony from an owner that the fix Honda put in place on these cars is effective. Know what I mean. Unfortunately, I can't find anything, so I may end-up with the Altima because of this issue. I thought about talking to a Honda service manager at a dealership about it, but do you think he will give me a straight story? Maybe I should just stop some people on the street with these vehicles and ask them about their experiences.

Thanks for your input.
    I'm not a fan of the Altima and CVT, while there are a lot of these cars on the road, a CAMRY is more refined. (imo)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I think I saw it mentioned before, but Cadillac does have a Certified Pre-Owned program. To learn more, visit http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/benefits.html

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    From using both the Honda and Chevrolet Competitive Comparison tools, a GM product that is along the same lines as the Accord is the Malibu.

I'd recommend using the Competitive Comparison tool available online no matter what vehicles you're considering - it's easy to use and puts all the vehicles and their specs side by side.

Hope this helps,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah, if you are really from "gm cust service" why are you using a gmail account. Is General Motors really using gmail for it's employees?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I can't answer for GM re: the gmail address, but I can tell you that we have verified that she is working with GM in a customer service/social media capacity.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Okay, thx. Interesting.
    This is an understandable question! It was a quick fix to meet the needs of a growing department, I suppose. We (my fellow Customer Service Representatives and myself) had been sharing an "@gm.com" account with Edmunds. In the end, this proved to be a bit messy. In an effort to stay on top of interacting with posters here, gmail was a great solution for us.

Hope this helps to clarify things,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who considered buying a small car, but instead bought a Ford, GM or Chrysler SUV or truck after deciding that the size sacrifice wasn't worth the savings at the pump. If your experience fits this description, please send a brief overview and contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Sunday 11/27.
  • halflegendhalflegend Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, first post on the forum, had a question to throw at the real car enthusiasts.

I'm 17, a junior in high school, and am getting my first car. I live in Southern Ohio.

My 'dilemma'. My parents said they would get my a car under about 23,000 with a little wiggle room here and there. They would love for me to get a Honda Accord (sedan), 2012. However, I want to make sure its my best option.

They also like the 2012 new CRV but I want to stick with a 4 door sedan.

After my own research these seem like the best options:

2012 HONDA ACCORD: Our neighbor works for Honda and said he can get us a deal if we buy a Honda, so the I would be able to get the Accord at a reduced rate, probably 8-12% off the sticker price, so that means the EX-L line would fall into this category, but the V6 or navigation systems would still be too much. I like the Accord, its looks aren't awful but don't wow or turn heads. Its drive is smooth but its not really a performance car or anything, even with the 190hp.

2009-10 ACURA TSX: I like the TSX a lot, as in its body design is aggressive without being over the top and flashy. It's a bit smaller than the Accord so it should get more pep to its drive and be able to park better, right? Its got a 201 hp (once again, v6 would be too much $) and I think that should perform better than the Accord's. The interior of an 09 is almost comparable to the Accord ex-l so I don't feel like I'm losing much. From my research, it would still be sub 24k if I was to take a no tech package, or with serious haggling I could get it.

2008 LEXUS IS250: The 250 seems to the funnest to drive, without giving up any real safety or usability features. Considering I'll be in college soon, i don't see the need for a large back seat, by the time I have any sort of family this car will be 200k miles an ready for retirement (at the least!). The v6 engine seems to be a nice feature as well. As far as the interior goes, its a bit smaller than the accord and tsx but has the same major features, leather seats, steering wheel mounted controls, heated seats etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My main problem is this:
    This is the only car my parents will pay for, after this, it's all my own hard earned cash. That being said, I want this to be a car that can last me through the next two years of high school, and if needed, in college and definitely out of college. Having a neighbor with Honda, I think I would be able to get better maintainability and of course, better pricing on a new Accord. It would also have 0 miles on it.

The TSX, judging by autotrader.com's prices would have about 15-20k miles and the Lexus, 30-35k. They would also be a few years old, 3 and 4 respectively. Should I just stick with the Accord? I would prefer driving the Lexus, or even TSX but is it worth having a 30k 4 year old car right off the bat?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for anyone who even took the time to read all of that!
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    A new Honda will have a 3-year warranty that neither of your other options will have, plus you will know the history of the car since you will have owned it since new. Hondas are fun to drive as long as you realize that the Honda is not & will never be a hot rod or rice rocket. You may like the looks of an Accord coupe over the sedan--be sure to check that out.

That said, do yourself a big favor and DO NOT buy a Honda with a V6 (with automatic), as the VCM system on Honda's V6 engines is really poor technology and will give you much more grief & frustration than the 4 cylinder.
  • npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    My advice to you (even though you probably don't want to hear it as I wouldn't at your age) is to get something a bit older as you will likely dent the heck out of it by you or someone else. Unless your parents are super rich, you are better saving that money for a nice car when you graduate college.

I would suggest going for a 06 or 07 Accord as it will probably be the least cost on your parents and insurance (and IMO is a better car overall compared to the current generation)

Oh and your friend who works for Honda may not be getting the best deal around so it is best to find out the price and check around dealers first.

I'll be honest with the current generation Accord, the seats suck. They hurt my back on long trips. The interior has too many buttons. And while they fixed the rear pads I am not sure how much extended life you will get out them. When my sister had her 08, I was replacing the pads every 15k miles. Luckily I do them myself so I only pay $50 for the pads while others pay $150-200 for a dealer to do them.

She ended up with most of the TSBs published and had two failed door actuators (search the web for these) before 40k miles. She was fed up with all of the minor problems and traded it in for a 09 Altima. The car has 50k miles, just replaced both sets of pads, and only had one blown fuse (probably overloaded the accessory socket). The car was night and day compared to her Accord.

We have had Hondas in our family for over 14 years. We need a new car and it won't be an Accord.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First, you should realize how lucky you are to have parents who would buy you such a nice car while you are still in high school. Be thankful for that (especially today) and tell them "Thank you!" and give them a big hug. Then honor them and their generosity by taking very good care of the car and driving it safely.

As to the car... I think you realize the Accord is the most Practical choice, and the Lexus is the most Fun choice. The TSX splits the difference. You could get an Acura Certified TSX, or a Lexus Certified IS, and have the factory warranty. One thing I encourage you to check out is an Acura Certified 2008 TSX. That is the last year of the previous design but they are considered by many to be superior to the current design, and it will cost far less than $23k. So you could get a top-notch sample with lowest possible miles and save your parents some bucks, which they could apply to your auto insurance (which will be a LOT for the next few years). I think you would enjoy driving the TSX more than the Accord, and it's more compact than the Accord thus easier to park in crowded school parking lots.

That's how I would go if it were my choice between these 3 cars. (If it were really my choice, I'd ask my parents to let me consider a hatchback because of its practicality for to/from college, e.g. Focus or Mazda3, also its fuel efficiency. They might compliment you on your practicality.). In fact, I will be making that choice in the next year or so--buy a new compact car ala Focus for around $18k, or buy a 2008 TSX.

Good luck!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    ..and, it sort of is... I have a 17 yr old... ;)

I'd buy an $8000 car now, and ask them to hold the other $15K for when you get out of college... Buying a new car will be a waste.. your warranty will expire in three years, with very little mileage driven. For the mileage that a typical teenager drives, you could buy a 6 year old sedan, and it should keep you through college...

When you get your first job out of college, then you can sell your heap, add the $15K, take a small loan, and have a new car that will be serviceable as long as you need it, or until you can afford a newer/better model.. at a time, when you'll really need a new car, and most new graduates can't afford it..

My son drives 2 miles each way to school... wouldn't waste a new car on that commute, even if I were willing to buy him a new car (which I'm not).

Where do you have to go in Chillicothe? (or Jackson, Portsmouth, Ironton, etc..) ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited November 2011
    The problem with that idea is, there's very little in the way of a good sedan from 2005 or newer under $8,000. I just did a search within 30 miles of me for sedans with those qualifications and under 100k miles. I found 3: a 2006 Sentra S with 77k miles (good little car, economical at least), a 2005 Impala with 83k miles, and a 2007 Saturn Ion with 95k miles. That's it. There may be others out there, but the fact is $8,000 doesn't buy much of a car anymore.

I have a feeling these parents aren't struggling financially. If they were, I'd agree that it's better to buy a cheap car now. But if the parents want to give their son a nice car... what's it to us? Then the car will be usable all the way through college and for a few years after college. And we know not everyone gets a great job right out of college, so it's good to have a solid car that's paid for when exiting college.
    I don't see his parents finances entering into the decision...

They are willing to spend $23K.... and, likely won't spend any more for his automobile needs.... ever.

So, my advice was what would be best financially for him. (IMO, of course).. He only gets the $23K, one time... I wouldn't spend it all now..

Most good $8000 cars aren't on autotrader... you buy them from friends or neighbors.. Every teenager on my street has a sub-$8000 car. It's just a waste of resources to buy an expensive car for the driving needs of a high school student.. If I had those same driving needs, I wouldn't buy a new car for myself... :surprise:

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Why does it have to be 2005+?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our HOST gave you the best advice in my opinion.

For under 10,000 you can buy a great used car. So what if it's out of warranty? If something breaks, just have it fixed.

Take the extra 15,000 and invest it somewhere and watch it grow.

As far as a V-6 Accord. they are NOT troublesome cars just totally unnecessary. The 4's have more than ample power.

Civic or Accord, You can't go wrong! If you do go used just make sure it gets a total inspection.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know!
    It doesn't... but see the post I replied to.
    edited November 2011
    I didn't read that there was an option to take $23k cash and do whatever he wanted with it. If that's the case, I would definitely buy a less expensive car, not a $23k sedan. There's some very nice NEW cars perfect for a student in the $15-16k range. And some very nice used cars with factory warranty/certified warranties (if that is important) in the $12-15k range.

I thought the decision needed to be between a new Accord, a used TSX, or a used IS. That was how I replied.

I let my oldest son use my six-year-old 626 when he was finishing junior year in high school. Cost me $7k. He drove it through college, then I turned the title over to him for his graduation gift and then sold it for around $3200 a few months ago, and applied that towards a 2007 Accord SE sedan. He should get a lot of miles out of that. My other son is driving my 2004 Elantra GT hatch, purchased new, to college now (sophomore). When he graduates it will be just over 10 years old but will probably have 80k miles on it or less. Still runs and looks new (except for a few dings). I'll turn the title over to him when he graduates. He wants to be a high school teacher so he'll probably need to hang onto it for awhile after college--they don't make real big bucks. It's worth about $6000-6500 now.

So yes, there's some good sub-$8000 cars out there. But not a lot of them, since prices have skyrocketed in the past year or two. And not the question that was asked.
    I didn't read that there was an option to take $23k cash and do whatever he wanted with it.

I didn't either... I recommended that he make that suggestion to his parents (and not, whatever he wanted... lol)

Of course, what do I know.... I'm turning my son into a CCB.... he has two cars under $8000.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Agree with the '08 TSX...better than the current model with it's more compact size. Would trade my Civic for a low miled one in a heartbeat if wife would let me. TSX does use premium fuel, but am sure 8 octane could be used. Saw a blue over stone leather which I feel in love with actually but didn't make much financial sense to jump on it...in a perfect world, I'd have one in the garage now!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Was a 1952 Chevrolet I paid 35.00 for. It served me well until my parents gave me their 1962 Buick Special.

I wonder how I survived?
    Oh! I missed that part about 6 years old and $8k.

Now I git it.

Anyhow, my suggestion to the OP is an older, cheaper car. I don't know anyone who had their first car last very long, even when it was a new car. The car will suffer much abuse. Might as well be something you won't regret killing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I wonder how your folks survived on $3,900 a year, which was the average annual income in the USA in 1952? Or maybe they were rich and made all of, say, $5,000 a year. ;)

Some of the kids at the high school my boys went to had Audis, BMWs, Volvos, newer Hondas, etc. etc.--all or almost all gifts from parents I'll wager. Those parents obviously had different thoughts than I did when it came to providing a car to their kids for school. Well, it's their money. Hope their kids appreciated their parents' generosity. Some kids would love to have a $300 beater (today's equivalent of your '52 Chevy) to drive.
    The year was 1966 when I had my old Chevy. The CAR was a 1952, not the YEAR!

Looking back, I don't think anyone in my high school had a new car with a couple of exceptions. I do remember a couple of new VW's and one guy bought a new Corvair.
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    Regarding your concern about excessive magnetic fields in a Hybrid, I've had a EMF meter in the past, as a worker in an Electric Generating Plant, I had concerns.

I was relieved to find that my office, which was less than 100' from a 120mw generator, had only background EMF's .

You can buy one from Amazon or Home Depot for $25-30

The range on mine went from sub 2mg to 30mg

Montana, I believe, is the only state to have a EMF TWA average of 2mg in an 8 hr period.

Bringing me to my point, steel belted tires at highway speeds generate a pretty hefty magnetic field.

I suggest getting one and check your Hybrid's and non-Hybrid cars on the Interstate to see what the passengers are subject to.
    link title

A few years back lots of people were concerned about living "near" high tension power lines [500k Volts+]

I tested the "right-of-way" near some of our 230k lines and the meter showed only "background" EMF's until I crossed the boundary of the R.O.W.

When I got into the right of way, the meter suddenly went to 30mg
    Outside it, ZERO.

I also checked every item in the home, we've all heard about ceiling fans and hairdryers putting off excess EMF's, True but to be in "the field" of a ceiling fan, you have to stand in a chair, or on the coffee table.

Hairdryer, sure it's Hot, but just like any radiation,
    the TWA [Time Weighted Average]
    or exposure rate vs time of exposure is what counts.

One hazard in the home is NOT obvious.
    The little transformers, like your cordless phone, drill, cell, kids low voltage toys etc.

Those little black boxes, plugged into a 110v outlet, put out a full 30mg within a foot or less. Beyond 2', Zero mg on the meter..

Lots of beds have a AC outlet with these plugged into them, right by the headboard, THIS IS A HAZARD,,, especially to Children.">link title.

A simple and cheap fix for this, buy a $5.00 Multi-Outlet strip and move the transformer away from the headboard.

I've warned anyone who'd listen.

EMF's can be dangerous, given a large enough dose over a long enough time span, hence the term TWA.

DrVette

BTW, remember when Mom griped about sitting too close to the TV..
    Back in the days before LCD or Plasma tv's they all were CRT, Cathode Ray Tube.

Guess what a CRT emits ?
    Gamma Rays, Mom was RIGHT !!
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    There are a number of new cars under $15,000. The Hyundai Accent comes to mind. New basic cars have a good warranty, get great mileage now, and used as ex-rentals with 30k miles rarely cost a lot less than new ones. I foolishly bought a new 2011 Malibu (26k list - I paid 22) when I could have bought the identical 2009 for about $12k with around 30k miles. I'll keep it till 2015 and get a used certified Cadillac XTS or an Avalon.

If I was getting a teenager a car I'd look at either a new subcompact like an Accent or a 2009-10 Cobalt coupe for around $11 watching for one with low mileage under 30k. The Cobalt has more standard equipment than an Accent and looks neater especially in red or yellow. I have a 2009 that has been trouble free and gets great gas mileage.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in talking with shoppers who held, or are still holding, onto their vehicle longer than usual and are now finally returning to the market. You should have already bought after deferring a purchase, or expect to buy in the near future. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 23, 2011 and include your contact information.
  • agent_magent_m Member Posts: 2
    I responded via email to pr@edmunds.com this morning 12/23/11.........
    then recieved a " out of office " email response.
  • walletlesswalletless Member Posts: 40
    Hi

I am debating between buying a brand new Altima or Sonata GLS (automatic transmission).

I test drove both, and liked them both equally - although the Altima seemed more roomy on the front/passenger seats. The Sonata had slightly better gadgets for the base model (heated side mirrors, ipod dock) and also better interior storage I also test drove an Accord, but the price difference makes me lean towards either Altima or Sonata.

We are expecting an addition to our family this year, so two very important thing for us is child seat & trunk space. Since we do not own a child seat, we were unable to put one in and see how they fit and how much room it leaves in the rear..

Can someone comment on which car is better for these two requirements?

[Crossposting from http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f24da7b/1 based on member suggestion]
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I recommend the 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS for several reasons.

SPACE- The Sonata's passenger volume (interior space) is 104 cu ft, compared to 101 cu ft for the Altima. The Sonata's trunk has 16.4 cu ft of space vs. 15.3 cu ft for the Altima.

WARRANTY- Hyundai- Basic- 5yr/60k, Powertrain- 10yr/100k, Roadside Assistance- 5yr/Unlimited
    Nissan- Basic- 3yr/36k, Powertrain- 5yr/60k, NO Roadside Assistance

FUEL ECONOMY- Hyundai- 24/35mpg vs. Nissan- 23/32mpg

SAFETY- Both cars are very safe, but the Sonata performed better in the rear-impact collision test conducted by the IIHS. It evaluates the performance of the design of the seat and head-restraint in low to moderate speed rear impacts. The Altima was rated as Acceptable, while the Sonata earned the highest rating of Good.

For 2012, all Sonatas have a new feature called BlueLink. It is a telematics system similar to OnStar in basic concept. It will automatically transmit the GPS coordinates in the event of a collision or if you call Roadside Assistance via the system. Functions such as voice navigation, remote unlock, remote start, maintenance alerts, stolen vehicle tracking and weather/traffic are also offered for a slightly higher annual fee ($79, $179 or $279/year).

One of my co-workers has a 2011 Sonata GLS and she loves it! Her only regret is that she didn't get the GLS Popular Equipment Package. For only $750, it includes Power Adjustable Driver's Seat w/ Lumbar, 16" Alloy Wheels, Automatic headlight control and Upgraded Door Panel trim. I would highly recommend it for the wheel upgrade alone! =)

Good luck and congrats on the kiddo!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    edited December 2011
    The other thing is, if you are planning to buy one of these soon, do it by Jan. 2 as both Hyundai and Nissan have year-end incentives. For example, I am visiting in Central TX this week and a dealer in the Austin area is advertising $3000 off MSRP on Sonatas, not including the Military rebate which is $500 additional off. I know Nissan has year-end specials also.

And the other thing is, since both the Altima and Sonata have been around awhile in present form, you could save a lot of money by buying a slightly used car. With the Sonata, you could get one 1-2 years old and still have a lot of warranty left.

On fuel economy... although the Altima's EPA ratings are a little less than the Sonata's, I've found the Altima 2.5 with CVT is very efficient for a mid-sized car. I rented one last week (had only 1600 miles on it) and drove it over a few days and several hundred miles, and it averaged 35 mpg with mostly highway miles but also some city driving in the Chicago suburbs and Milwaukee.
    Thanks backy. Yes, there are some great deals going on right now for Altima. My dealer is willing to sell the Altima 2.5S for 18k + TTL
    Good luck. I rented a 2011 Sonata for three weeks and the family hated the wallowy ride, enough to know the sonota out of the running of the new car race. Space was good, gadgets were good.

Make sure you are okay with the ride, on rough surfaces. It was not inspiring.
    Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. I bought the Nissan Altima after test driving both the car one more time.
  • mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    Have to agree that the Sonata I rented for a few days in Florida made me conclude it's not one I'd pick in this group. Steering was no fun at all -- no road feel, no responsiveness. Seats hurt. Front passenger seat was low and couldn't be raised. Noise was higher than I was expecting. I think the car's getting such great reviews mainly because it looks great and comes with a long list of features and is a significant step up from its predecessor.

Haven't driven an Altima, so I can't comment.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Good comparison post. We just bought a 2012 Sonata GLS with the $750 popular package. Great value. Car seems good in town with first road test this weekend. We also have 2010 Buick Lacrosse that is the most quiet car we have ever been in. The Sonata is definitely more noisy - engine and wind noise. anxious to check highway MPG, wind noise and ride on highway after all the preceding posts on those subjects. Will post observations later.
  • rasputin7rasputin7 Member Posts: 1
    Like many others, I was debated Sonata vs. Altima and others top contenders in mid-size sedan category. I really wanted to like the Hyundai more. Drove it and saw the overall value--they pack a lot of features in standard, as other have said. But in the end I just felt underwhelmed by the fit and finish and, to my eyes anyway, I thought it was trying a bit too hard with the space-age look. Exterior I liked more than interior. Drove the 2012 Turbo. Plenty quick and certainly not a bad car. But just not my car. I kind of feel that there was TOO much going on with respect to the info centre (radio/nav/etc.). I found it distracting. I'm sure after a week, or less, of driving it I'd sort those points out, but I just found myself wondering whether I'd grow tired of the overall "look." And I would like to keep the car for at least 5 years. So we're looking at the Altima 3.5. Was considering Honda too, but Accord seems overpriced for what you get. I suppose, in the end, you won't go too far wrong with any of the solid contenders here.
    edited January 2012
    If you like the Accord, I suggest you try to email all ALTIMA dealers to see how low they can get. Whatever is the lowest, you can assume that you can take that quote to a different dealer and have it beat by ATLEAST $500 (may be more). Based on what I have been seeing on the forum lately, I believe you will be able to negotiate to around $18.5k for a 2.5S base.

Then see what kind of premium you may want to pay for an Accord with comparable features, and go to the dealer and offer them lower than that target price. I'd think that the Honda brandname would atleast command a $1000 premium, so you may want to set your target to around 19.5k, and offer them initially 19k. Stick to your guns, and prepare to walk if they do not get any close to your target price. If they agree, you walk off with a car you want.. otherwise you just lose few hours trying to haggle.

Just my $0.02.. Over the years, I have learnt that you can really haggle at the dealership if you have a target price in mind. You have nothing to lose, since the salesman who spent hours negotiating the deal would hate to see you walk away without him getting any commission.
    I did not drive the turbo bit I agree 100% with your other observations. The 3.5 might be a win for you.
  • dzerodzero Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hey guys,
    I've been looking for a used car for a good 4 or 5 months since I sold my 2001 GMC Sierra. I'm a car guy and 6'6'' so legroom and headroom is always a problem and I have been wanting to get something that is a little more fun to drive and better for hauling people than my truck was. My budget is around $10,000-$11,000 but can go a little higher if need be.

I've somewhat narrowed it down to either a 2008 Accord or a 2005 Magnum R/T for the primary reason of both being very comfortable and reliable. My mom has an 8th gen Accord so I've spend a fair amount of time driving it and know pretty well what to expect. Here is my pros and cons for each car

Accord Pros:
    Newer year
    Nicer interior
    Tighter steering and overall response
    Better gas mileage
    Lighter

Accord Cons:
    More expensive
    Less of an enthusiast vehicle
    Slower
    FWD

Magnum Pros:
    Faster
    More usable cargo capacity
    RWD
    More aggressive looking
    V8 torque

Magnum Cons:
    Some front end issues (tie rods, struts)
    Bad mpg
    Cheaper interior
    Heavier

Let me know what you think or any other vehicle ideas. Some other cars I've considered are Volvo S80, Saab 9-5 and I briefly owned a 2006 VW GLI but sold it because it was too small inside.
    If you are looking for fun, that rules out the Accord. Trust me on this. I made the mistake with a V6 6-speed Accord and what you think you can live with as "fun" wears thin eventually. Took me about 6 months, but I grew to hate mine.

If mileage is at all a concern, say goodbye to the Magnum.

A $10k S80 is not an S80 you want. That would put you in a previous gen T6, which has horrible reliability, not the least of which is a notoriously faulty transmission.

Saab? Well, not my cup of tea, personally. I don't find it very nice inside. Of course, you are still dealing with FWD in that one, too. Not that I have a problem with FWD. It is good when done right.

Honestly, large, reliable, frugal, and fun ... for $10k... is a REAL tough combination to hit. I mean, my personal choice is a low-mileage E39 5-series, but I can't stand by the "reliability" on that one. It CAN be reliable, if properly maintained, which is not cheap to do.

I might look for a 3.5 Altima. Reason I chose the Accord is because I wanted a stick. That's obviously not a concern for you, so I think the Altima would be much more fun. Avoid the 2.5, though. It does have faults. Look for a Maxima if you really need more room, but the Altima is just as big as the Accord inside, I believe.

Could also search for a Legacy GT, but I'm not sure you could find a turbo model in your pricerange.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Here are my suggestions to check out before you make any final decisions:

Mazda3 - 2005+
    Mazda6- 2005+

Hyundai Azera- 2007+
    Volvo S60 - 2006-2008
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    The Azera is going to have a couple of the downsides of the 8th-generation Accord that he listed -- FWD, not an enthusiast's car. It's kind of the Buick of Hyundai. Comfortable and quiet, but numb steering. It's nice and large inside, though.

I love the Mazda3, but if he can't fit in the GTI, I'm wondering if the 3 would be any better. The Mazda6 is relatively small on the inside until the second generation -- 2008 or 2009, can't remember which. The first generation was an enthusiast's car, but the engines weren't great. The second is more like the Azera.

I've never driven one, but I've read good things about the Saturn Aura. One of the versions is sportier than the others. Because Saturn is no more, prices might be good. And along those lines, how about the Pontiac G8 -- RWD, intended to compete with BMW. Or the newer Pontiac GTO? All three of these would be relatively rare, but maybe worth seeking out.
    The second is more like the Azera.

Uh... not really.

The current Mazda6 is like the Azera in the following ways:

* Both have engines.
    * Both have four wheels/tires.
    * Both are 4-door sedans.
    * Both are quite roomy.

That's about where the similarity ends. The Mazda6 starts at around $20k new and is a competitor for cars like the Sonata and Accord... not the Azera. The Mazda6 handles much better than the Azera; it's pretty nimble for a mid-sized sedan, even with its bump in size for the current generation.

The closest competitor to the Azera I can think of is the Avalon. And maybe the defunct Lucerne. The new Azera may change that, but to my knowledge it's not at dealers yet.

I also like the last-gen Mazda6. Nice and trim outside, but enough back seat room for most people. And a good buy as a used car.

If sheer passenger room is critical, it would be a good idea to check out the new Passat--which has tons of leg room.