Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I am also considering the Elantra GT as an option as I want a hatchback. Also considering the Veloster as I have another 4 door car and like that the Veloster is so different (and also has the 10 year warranty). It has a more premium and solid feel than the others. Also looking at the Ford Focus which I ruled out due to the DSG troublesome tranny- Ford still has not resolved. Drove the Mazda 3 Skyactiv which I liked although, it seems cheaper inside than the Hyundai's and if you drive on hills (I live in SF) the new auto is very sluggish to downshift which helps economy but results in harder acceleration to get it to a jerky downshift. Hoping the Elantra GT comes out soon so I can at least see one. Too bad Honda has nothing interesting to offer- I have had many Hondas and Acuras.
  • chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    Ok, a camera on the back? For what. I guess I am not up on the new technology and what is a panoramic sun roof? So wiht the sport tuned suspension it's better around curves etc? I don't really need alot of room in the back because normally there will only be one person in the car or two. I really like the looks of the GT
    I think the maza 3 skyactiv is a little more than the elantra but it's a nice looking car also.
    sorry for all the questions, but you seem like you have done a lot of research.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Backup camera: to avoid hitting something/someone behind you. May not be too long before they are standard in all new cars.

Panoramic sun roof: think "really big sunroof", as in covering most of the roof. Meh.

I don't know that real-world price on the Skyactiv is much more than the Elantra's. There aren't the huge discounts on the mainstream Hyundais any more, like there used to be. Since you don't need a lot of back seat room, might be worth checking out the Mazda3. Also have you driven the Focus? Back seat isn't very roomy, but has very nice blend of ride and handling, and price is helped by incentives.
  • chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    Ok that makes sense. It would be interesting to see that camera in action. I know the dealership I am going through, if I get the elantra, offers a 1,200 discount to finance through them. The Gls I was looking it is 17,335 before taxes and with that discount. My 2001 ford mustang gt they are giving 7,000 in trade. I think the Mazda 3 skyactiv that I saw online was 19,245 so it might be a little more in my area. ((Utah)

No I haven't driven a focus. Not quite sure I like the looks of it. I guess that's why I keep looking at the Elantra. I just love the style of that car. The xm radio is a plus too.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    When I think of sunroof, I think "terrarium".

The thing is, unless it opens fully, like a window (Moonroofs are a joke), it's not actually anything more than yet another windshield to look out of. Except that most of them are so far back that you'd have to look sideways as a driver to see anything. (ie - if it was open, you'd at least feel the wind)
    I like the glass moonroofs that tilt up or slide all the way into the roof. Provides a little of that convertible feel, also the tilt feature helps keep the interior cooler on sunny days. But I can do without the "panoramic" moonroofs.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Hey, instead of talking about greenhouses you can drive one. I like sunroofs, but I'm not sure I like that panoramic thing, and I'm wondering if I can get it with everything except the rays...
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I used to own a truck that had a huge oversized glass moonroof, and for the size of the cab, it was equivalent to a panoramic sunroof. the top three inches of the interior were consistently 15-20 degrees hotter than the rest of the car, even with the AC on full.

I'd end up with heat fatigue in the summer from a roasted head unless I pointed all of the vents at the roof.

Really bad idea.
    I'm wondering how it would handle the weight of several inches of heavy wet snow and a stiff snow brush myself.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Now that the 2012 Passat starts at under $20,000, I think it should be added to this discussion. Although it's not my dream car by any stretch, I just purchased one after looking at everything else on the market. It broke my string of three straight Accords. I'm still bothered by the exterior design, but I'm happy with the car...and the price :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This is a general "help me choose" discussion for sedans, regardless of price. And, we have a limit to the number of vehicles we can list in the header, and those are generally selected based on traffic/interest in those vehicles site-wide.

However, you are most welcome to discuss the Passat here, and any other sedan that strikes your fancy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 hatchback, but the biggest drawback for me is the rear seat leg room - it wouldn't be a dedicated family car, but it would be nice to get my kids to drive in the back on occasion - these are 5'10" teenagers.

Does the Elantra offer much more legroom - or is there any other car in the Mazda 3's class that offers a better back seat option?
    edited March 2012
    I am 5'9-1/2" and found the leg room fine in the Mazda3 for occasional use. I wouldn't want to ride more than a couple of hours back there, but I did not feel cramped.

For compact hatches, I think the cars with the most rear legroom (based on my "sit" tests) are the Prius (much different kind of car than the Mazda3 of course), followed by the Elantra (based on the sedan, since the Elantra GT isn't available yet), Impreza, and Golf. The Versa hatch, subcompact in length, has tons of rear legroom also--maybe the roomiest of any of these cars. But it's a class down from the Mazda3--cheaper though! Forte hatch has pretty good rear leg room also, but for the money I'd rather go with the Elantra.

FWIW, the current Elantra hatch, the Touring, has limo-like rear leg room, but it's an old design and not nearly as nice and economical as the new Elantra.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    The Golf has WAY more backseat room than the mazda3. I'm 6'5" and could still have an adult sit behind me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hi,
    I've drove the Optima and was impressed with the room inside - it actually borders on being too big imo. biggest drawback for me was the dead feel in the stearing that Edmunds mentions. For the Sonata - Edumunds doesn't mention this con (dead stearing wheel). Has any compared the two - I have a hard time believing there would be a difference. I prefer the Optima style and their base packages are less confusing than the Sonata.

Is it worth test driving the Sonata? or are we really talking the same car?
    If you don't like the steering in the Optima, I doubt you'll like it in the Sonata. The Optima is supposed to have more feel of the road than the Sonata.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    You need to try the VW Golf/GTI. I've ridden in a GTI, often, and the back seat is suprisingly large! Plus, the thing drives GREAT and the interior quality is awesome!
    according to Edmunds, the gti has less room in the back seat than the Mazda 3 - it have a lower gas milege rating and it cost more. at least that's what I found in comparing the two.
    edited March 2012
    Comparing MT hatches to MT hatches, the Golf (2 door) costs less than the lowest-priced Mazda3 hatch (4 door). The GTI is the top Golf trim, so you need to compare it to a comparable Mazda3s trim. And the Mazda3s does not get the same great fuel economy as the Mazda3i with Skyactiv. Also the GTI has 200 hp--topped in the Mazda3 only by the Mazdaspeed3.

I recently did a sit-test in the Mazda3 and Golf within a few minutes of each other and found the Golf to have more rear-seat leg room, with the driver's seat adjusted comfortably for me (5'9-1/2").
    I said the same thing as Backy. The Golf/GTI has way more room, both in front and back. And, yes, you'd have to compare GTI to mazdaspeed3 and Golf to Mazda3s.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is hoping to interview car-shoppers under 34 years old to learn whether they are interested in the new "near-premium" offerings from Acura, Audi, Buick and Lexus. Thanks for responding to PR@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 29, 2012 with your daytime contact info and a sense of whether you think those vehicles are well-suited to you and your peers.
  • whatdafxup09whatdafxup09 Member Posts: 8
    So here's the story, I'm about to graduate college, and will most likely be moving to Los Angeles in the next year or so to continue my education. I am looking for a new or slightly used sedan or hatch. I currently drive a 2001 camry LE, and while that thing is boring, it's also damn near indestructible. My budget is roughly 23-25k. So far, I've been considering the toyota camry, subaru impreza, hyundai elantra, etc... Most important to me are reliability and that "fun" factor. Right now I'm leaning towards the subaru but I don't really need AWD, although it would be nice. Give me your thoughts on these cars or suggest something better! BTW the car will MOST LIKELY be automatic, although nothing is for certain just yet. Also, I think I'll be avoiding the luxury brands for the most part due to maintenance costs and the overall image associated with them. Thanks everyone!
    Mazda3i Touring hatch (or sedan). For that "fun" factor. Also economical.

Impreza is a good choice also but more expensive than the Mazda3, less economical, and handling is not as crisp. If you don't really need AWD, then... why?

Or used... lots of great options including TSX, G25/37.
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    For the most "fun" factor a Mazdaspeed3 lists for 26K to 28K but can be had for $23K to $25K in my area (Northern Virginia) per deales price listings online. This car has also be reliable but probably not a bulletproof as you current boring ride.
    Well if you find your Camry boring, I have no idea why you are considering another Camry. The base impreza and the elantra aren't exactly exciting options, either.

Mazda3 is not a bad suggestion.

If you look around and lay off the options, you could find a low-mileage '08-'09 328i in your pricerange. And '09-'10 TSX would be more fun that at least the 3 options you've listed. A '10 CTS 3.6 could also fit under your cap.

Thanks all for the input. A few responses:
    1. So am I mistaken in believing that mazda has poor reliability/dependability down the road?
    2. While I do like the TSX/328i/other luxury brands, I don't really like the stigma or image associated with them. Furthermore, maintenance will be far more expensive and I'll be a student for virtually the next 4 years.
    3. Despite being boring, my camry has never given me real trouble. Its so ******* dependable I feel almost guilty not going with it. (the safe bet for my money). Aside from that, it's comfortable and practical but just so boring...
  • joeyh1joeyh1 Member Posts: 2
    Time to replace the 02 Bonneville. I haven't driven anything yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of a 09-10 Sonata, Altima, Mazda 6, Optima....what else should I be looking at? I'm usually a solo driver, so I could also do a decent sized coupe. I just like to have a fair amount of metal around me and a roomy driving position. In fact, a well appointed interior is probably one of my most desired points. An Azera is probably a little pricey since I'd like to stay in mid teens. I'd welcome any thoughts.
    1. So am I mistaken in believing that mazda has poor reliability/dependability down the road?

Wha....??? Why would you say this? No one has really intimated that that's an issue. I had fantastic luck with my Protege that I beat the crap out of.

Seriously, if you want reliability - with outside of warranty bets - your Camry is really a great bargain. If you want driving fun, within your budget, with a decent warranty ( B2B)... move on.

You are very smart to not consider the entry-level luxury category. The routine replacements are much more expensive.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

So you want reliable-as-a-Toyota. But fun. Up to mid-$20s.

How about this little number?

http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/
    You're right on the money save for 4 doors!! I think a sedan is more up my alley, im going for that more mature look.
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    So am I mistaken in believing that mazda has poor reliability/dependability down the road?
    YES!

I have a 2005 Mazda6s, 75000 miles, runs and works great. My son has a 2007 Mazda3s Hatch, runs and works great at 54000 miles. I also have a 2009 Mazda CX-9 Touring. 38000 miles, no warrenty issues. So far the best SUV/CUV I have ever owned.
    Mazda has good reliability.

I don't think there is a stigma associated with a TSX, personally. It is just a European Accord.

I didn't realize money was much of a concern when spending $24k on a car. If that's the case, you should be looking at used vehicles or base economy models, such as a base mazda3, and sock away any extra funds.

Wha....??? Why would you say this? No one has really intimated that that's an issue.

I have. My Mazda3's engine threw a rod at about 72k miles. My property manager had a Mazda3 who's engine went at 20k, and then at 65k. The air conditioning on mine never really worked well. :sick:

Then again, while it was drivable it was an absolute BLAST to drive. :shades:
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Can't really say I can disagree with the rest here. Nothing wrong with the Mazda 3. No reliability problems as I have ever heard. You might even be able to score a Honda Accord for that dollar amount. It would handle and drive better than any of the other ones you mentioned.

Can't for the life of me understand why AWD is desirable for you, given where you're going to live. But, to each his own.

In short, you don't have any bad choices here.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Heck, you have lots of years to go for the "more mature look". Maybe someday soon you'll be married with kids and can drive the epitome of the more mature look, the mini-van. So why not get a fun sporty car while you can? Your next opportunity will be your mid-life crisis, about 25-30 years from now. :P
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Here's my only question.

You said, "I'm about to graduate college, and will most likely be moving to Los Angeles in the next year or so to continue my education."

So do you already have a job to pay for this car or are you going to grad school? I'd say to save you money, pay off your debts, and keep your boring but "indestructible" Camry until you're all done with college and are fully employed. My apologies if I misunderstood something in your post.
    Great input all, thanks!
    The mazda 3 is looking real promising, but any input on hatch vs. sedan?
    Also, I have some money tucked away for a new car, and the parental unit will pitch in as a graduation gift, as my camry with nearly 200k miles is about to die. Ill be going to medical school in LA so no, I wont have any money from a job but my parents have agreed to help with maintenance costs, that's why the cost of maintenance is important. Backy, you have a great point and I'm seriously considering something more sporty. By that same token however, the mazda 3 is sporty and can seat 5 comfortably (I like that alot). In response to the AWD, it's not desirable per say, but because I like subaru, having it standard isn't exactly a negative trait.
    I like the Mazda3i hatch for its versatility. Also I think it looks better than the sedan. It's #1 on my shopping list for my next car, but that won't be until next year. Also looking at the Golf, Elantra GT (coming this summer), Focus SE, and Impreza--all hatches.
    Backy, is that impreza or impreza wrx hatch? I also am partial to the mazda 3 hatch over sedan.
    You'll have a warranty the whole time you're in med school, so at least repair costs should be almost nothing, if anything. The Mazda3 will be nicer to you on MPG, and gas is expensive out there. I mean, it's expensive everywhere, but especially out there. Even if your parents pitch in $ for gas, that's fewer $ they have to spend on you elsewhere, if it's going into the gas tank. :)

I think the Mazda3 hatch is a perfect choice - fun to drive, good on MPGs, not too pricey, and it's common enough (without being bland) that you shouldn't have parts/service issues anywhere. I'm not sure, but perhaps because AWD isn't necessary in LA, Subarus may be less common - they certainly have fewer dealerships overall, so if you have any recalls or work that needs to be done by a manufacturer-associated dealership, that may be an issue (might check for dealerships near the neighborhood you intend to live in).

You or your parents should call up your insurance agent as well. Tell them which vehicles you're considering - there could be a VAST difference in insurance costs between various vehicles. I've found agents to be helpful there. While they might like the extra money, they really don't like a customer being shocked/angry when they find out their premiums have just gone up a lot, unexpectedly. You're going to go up anyway, in all likelihood, because the Camry probably has you pretty low, but you should know what you're looking at in case you need a "tie breaker."

If I were your age, with your budget, I'd be driving myself insane right now trying to decide between the Mazda3 and the Elantra. I love Subarus too, but you'll have many vehicles in your future, and I'd save that for when i could enjoy the benefits of AWD.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Normal Impreza 5-door, Premium trim (since base trim doesn't get you much).
    I think you're right. Thanks for the input!
    BTW, does the elantra gt slated for summer come in 4 door hatch or just coupe?
    Hi Joey - sorry we missed your question in our flurry of posts.

You have a good list there. It sounds like you're looking for just a little bit more "driving fun" than the Bonneville offered you, without sacrificing space and a nice interior. I like all of the choices you mentioned, but they are going to drive differently, so a day of test-driving might be in order for you.

What is your budget? That would help with other recommendations. You said teens, but are you OK with upper teens? So far, I'm not thinking of anything you've omitted that I'd be inclined to recommend... except...

If you like sporty, roomy, and would consider a coupe, have you looked at the 2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe? Looks to be priced comparably to the 2010 Sonata, and has lots of metal, IMO. I have NOT been inside of one, so I can't comment on the interior room, but it's a real looker (again, IMO).

The Optima is going to be the bargain of the bunch.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

According to our astute and hard-researching members, it will come in just about every flavor:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f255528/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

edited April 2012
    Actually, the Elantra GT will be available only as a 5-door hatch, in the USA at least. The Elantra sedan comes in GLS and Limited trims. The new coupe will come in GS and SE trim.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    im going for that more mature look.

Nothing says mature like a Buick.

A Buick Verano should be up your alley!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I have. My Mazda3's engine threw a rod at about 72k miles. My property manager had a Mazda3 who's engine went at 20k, and then at 65k. The air conditioning on mine never really worked well.

Then again, while it was drivable it was an absolute BLAST to drive.

I agree.... Mazda's reputation went into the pits when they lowered their warranty (I believe in 2005) by 25%, or from 4 years to 3 years, and equivalent ratio of loss in mileage as well.

I just can't let them get away with that until they have as many red dots as Honda or Toyota.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2012
    The Verano is a nice little car, saw it at the auto show last month. Interior is especially nice. But it will be awhile before it comes with the really good powertrain, i.e. the turbo maybe with a 6-speed stick. But starting price is in the OP's ballpark. Reliability? Hmmm... will it be up to Toyota levels? Or even Mazda levels?

Could get a nicely loaded Mazda3i Touring hatch for same money as a base Verano... more fun to drive, more versatility, better economy. Not as nice an interior though.
    Thanks for the correction - I skimmed rather quickly.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Reliability? Hmmm... will it be up to Toyota levels? Or even Mazda levels?

If your asking me what I predict Buick Verano's reliability will be..... I'll point out GM is only alive because of a massive bailout... and Cruzes seem to catch fire... which the Verano is based on... so... yeah....