Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My mother is in the same boat as you are. She wants a nice car that does al of that and has a bit of bling as well.

There are four ways to obtain status with a car.
    1 - Spend a ton of money of something that gives you status and beauty.
    2 - Buy something that is bleeding-edge technology (hybrid/etc)
    3 - Have it do something that other normal cars can't. 4WD, convertible, or similar.
    4 - The car does an end-run around normal cars/is alternative fuel.

The first is obvious but painful on the pocketbook. A hybrid is actually not good for the environment (toxic batteries) and has less and less status gain, and most convertibles are sold at an outrageous premium. The frugal way to get status/bling currently is a Diesel fuel vehicle. A car with a CDI/TDI engine. Same MPG as a hybrid but no batteries.

In my mother's case, she liked the A3 TDI a lot. Much, much more than the 300H. Also, the 2012 Audi A4 wagon (CPO of course) is on the short list to buy. They aren't offering it as a 2013 model (it will return in 2014 though, refreshed and updated), unfortunately, but it's an even better choice. She liked the VW Passat TDI as well.
  • bunit23bunit23 Member Posts: 6
    I have this going one another forum and thought I would bring this to a more universal sight too.

I will be purchasing a car in the near future and I am going for CPO. I really want an AWD, so the S4 is my first choice. I heard the Quattro is sick. The car will mostly be used for Road trips and Weekend driving. I have a older Nissan Maxima that is my daily driver. My main issue with the Audi is that most people state that it will be costly and frequent, in the future, and I plan on keeping the car for a long time. My 96 Maxima currently has 171k on it.

I live in San Antonio Tx and it can get pretty hot. Are there any reasons I should avoid the Audi besides costly repairs??? I am not a wrencher, but I am not afraid to dig in.

I am open to other cars too

Please give me suggestions!!!

So far the cars that caught my eyes are:

Infiniti G37x (looks cheap in most areas, but still a great ride)

Lexus GS350 (Never owned a Toyota and this one seems pretty nice)

Audi B8 S4 (so far has all the specs I want and I like to have cars I don't see on the road all the time)

***BMW 335xi is not on my radar because I see way too many BMW's out here. I don't want to join the club.***

a 5th way which bunit & I almost agree on - which are the actual dynamics of the
    car - if the review says something like: agile, responsive wheel, grips corners, firm
    suspension - just plain sporty to drive - that's my kind of "status-y car". And I'm the white-haired mom. The car I'm looking at is 2010, 2011 low mileage Infiniti
    FX35 (not FX 37 - the 2013). It has the bling - especially w/Premium & Tech
    packages but it certainly seems to have the "sport". If I could get a new Passat
    wagon I'd probably go that route but not made for the States!! Car&Driver LOVE
    Audi's - but for me, the repair issue keeps me away. - I'd also appreciate any other ideas
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    The Lexus will be the cheapest to maintain but also the blandest, but it will be well appointed and luxurious. I also think it might hold up in value the best over time.

The Audi will be fun to the drive, especially an S4 but yes, maintenance might be steep unless you have a decent mechanic that knows what they're doing once warranty runs out and you do not neglect it.

I personally am not a fan of The G37 sedans as I think they're a tad outdated and don't feel as good as German sports sedans (I've been in the car business almost a decade and drove almost everything).

I have a 3 series BMW (07 328i) and love it because handling wise it's very hard to beat. Personally that's what I would choose (your 335xi).

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Well, BMW would still be my choice. I see just as many Audis.

The other possibility is a low-mileage S60R. I'm not sure you can find one CPO anymore, though. Possibly an '07 that was previously CPO... which would make you the 3rd owner. Anyway, its not as fast in a straight line as the 335 or s4, but the adjustable suspension works great and the throne is superior.

What about something like an E550 4matic?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• zeikman138zeikman138 Member Posts: 1
    I am a college student with a spending limit of $6,500 total. I am interested in a used luxury sedan that had three components. It needs to be reliable, durable, and fashionable. I have interest in the following vehicles listed in order of top interest.

1) jaguar x-type 2004
    2)Lincoln LS 2004
    3) Cadillac Deville 2002

My knowledge of vehicles is limited. I am looking for advice as to which car would best fit my 30 mile commute Monday-Friday weekly. I will be putting about 11k miles on this vehicle annually. Please list your thoughts on the top 3 vehicles or BETTER vehicles. I have the money to buy a vehicle and the interest. I simply need an expert opinions or facts to help me pull the trigger and finally commit to purchasing a vehicle.

P.S. I have considered craig's list but am very skeptical due to friends/family buying vehicles with an extensive amount of repair required.
    edited February 2013
    First let's address your last concern: I have considered craig's list but am very skeptical due to friends/family buying vehicles with an extensive amount of repair required.

Whether you buy a used car from Craigslist, Auto Trader, or even a used car dealer, you're shopping for older cars. Even when meticulously maintained, older cars will require more maintenance than new cars.

A good way to know what you're getting yourself into is to have a pre purchase inspection once you look at the car and if it's in your price range. You can take it to a local mechanic you can trust or a dealership, pay for the inspection just to see if the car is somewhat mechanically sound. If it is then go for it. Keep in mind that at your price range no car will be perfect, especially an older luxury car. You should expect some imperfections or future work needing to be done. I can attest to this when I was selling my 10 year old BMW wagon and everybody expected a perfect BMW for under $6k.

Look for vehicles with maintenance records as that helps you see if they were at least well taken care of.

Now for your choices, from my experience all of these cars will be trouble and you should stay away from them. Any Jag repairs will be costly. The Lincoln LS I'd personally stay away from as all of the used ones I've seen (I worked in the car business for almost 10 years) had some sort of electrical issues. The Cadillac Deville, although a super nice and comfy car that I personally enjoyed can also have head gasket issues, tranny issues, and electrical issues. I've talked to a few people who knew friends who had them, plus my buddy who was a service manager at a GM dealership and he said just to stay away from them. If they develop an major engine issue, you'll easily pay in repairs what you paid for the car, or more.

If looking at older luxury cars I would only recommend looking at used Lexuses like the ES300, GS models, or even older LS400 models as they tend to have Toyota reliability and be comfortable luxury cruisers especially for longer drives. They use many Toyota components so parts might be easy to find. Plus when it's time to sell them it might be easier than getting rid of a Jag, Caddy, or a Lincoln.

Good luck!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    Listen to Boom; none of those cars have a good reputation for reliability. At all.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

That's like the worst 3 cars you can pick. Best 3 if you want to see your bank account drained fast. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I wouldn't touch any of those cars you've listed...they're not reliable or durable....fashionable is subjective! I'm not sure what your goal is here....if you're trying to impress someone...a 12 year old luxury vehicle is not going to do it. If you just want something that has a lot of features and drives very good...along with your "reliable, durable, and fashionable" requirement there are a few others I would consider.

2002 Acura RL
    2002 Toyota Avalon
    Lexus GS300 (might have to go older than 2001 to make your budget)
    2004 Nissan Maxima
    2005 Buick LaCrosse (honestly don't know much about them but worth a look)

Is a Lincoln Towncar on the possible list? I ask because it doesn't seem less-fashionable than a Deville....and is far more reliable particularly if you find a basic model with less electronic gizmos.

Ok now...if none of that interests you here's a wild-card: 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora. Certainly different and seems no less fashionable than your previous selections. From what I can see they generally have good reliability reports and were considered one of the best sedans on the road (at the time). If nothing else even if the reliability was as bad as the three you originally listed....the cost to repair won't be as high.

Good luck!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    boomcheck and others are right about the poor reliability of the cars you mention.

You may not like my 2 cents, but....

30 years ago I was a college student, and for many years I went through one old unreliable car after another as I went through college, grad school, and then got my first job.

In retrospect I would have saved a lot of time, headaches, and frustration, and quite a bit of money too, if I'd just gotten a good new car to start with and stuck with it.

I'm a Honda man myself, and so I personally would see if you could get into a new Civic or Fit.

But what about this—VW is offering 0% financing with no money down for 66 months on most of its models. The question is would your credit rating qualify. Possibly not. But VWs also give you free maintenance for 3 years.

If you buy a ten year old car, imho, in a few years you are going to be crying uncle because of the huge repair bills, and then you'll probably have to start all over again looking for another car.

If you can somehow swing new you might be happier in the long run. Cars today are significantly safer, have better performance and mpg, and are generally more reliable than cars from 10 years ago even when those 10 year old cars were new. And now that they've had who knows what abuse for that time.....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For someone trying to save some money, I think a better idea would be a gently USED Civic or Fit... especially since the Fit hasn't changed in several years and the previous-generation Civic is in many ways better than the current car.

But they are hardly luxury cars. But here's another idea... for not much more than the OP can pay up front, one could get a 3-year lease on a pretty nice car... maybe not "luxury", but very close to it. Some ideas there are the Passat, Sonata, Optima, and maybe others depending on lease rates. And "auto show" time (now) is a good time to lease or buy a new car, usually lowest prices of the year except maybe November. Very little money up front, and almost no costs during the 3 years except monthly payment, gas, insurance, and basic maintenance.
    backy has good advice.

The only thing against getting a recent Civic or Fit is that they hold their value so well in the first few years that you almost might as well get a new one.

Leasing might be a good idea, particularly if you don't want to get stuck with a car for a long time.

3 year lease on a 2013 Accord is available for $239/mo with 2300 down, or $300 a month with 0 down. It's not like you save by putting money down (they are both almost exactly the same $ in the end), and so it seems to me the $300 might be better.

You say you wanted a luxury car? Well, I bet a 2013 Honda Accord actually offers as much or even more than most luxury cars from 10 years ago. For instance, you get integrated bluetooth, text msg display and reading, backup camera, alloy wheels, 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, which is as fast as a 6 cylinder from 10 years ago, dual climate control, etc.—all standard. And an Accord will save you at least $500 a year in gas compared to a lux car from 10 years ago. Again, there's a question about if you would qualify. Don't know about that.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/

If, in a few years, after you've graduated and are making a good income and want a true luxe car, just turn it in and buy a BMW or Lincoln whatever.....

Similar lease deals, or even cheaper, can be had on Optima, Sonata, Passat, etc.
    VW Passat: 209/mo with 2k down:

http://www.vw.com/en.html

Sonata: 199 with 2k down

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx

KIA Optima: 199 with 2.4k down

http://www.kia.com/#/optima/offers
    As always, it's possible to get a negotiated lease less than advertised prices. Low $200s with 0 out of pocket (maybe first payment) is possible on the Sonata GLS, for example. Probably on the Optima and Passat also. Accord... probably not.
  • zodiac7276zodiac7276 Member Posts: 1
    Finally it is time to sell the hand me down pontiac! I'm looking for a sporty 2 door with some trunk space for hauling stuff to and from college (not tons of trunk space, just not a tiny trunk) My budget is around $7500. Currently I'm looking at base Chrysler Crossfires, and GT Eclipses. I want a manual, and please no Mustangs. Thanks.
    All I know is I'd want nothing to do with a $7500 Crossfire...

Few cars that come to mind immediately:

-Acura RSX base or Type S: they should be easily in this price range.
    -Honda Civic Coupes 2006 and up: fun to drive, easy on gas, well equipped.
    -Honda Accord coupes, 2003 and up: good trucnk space, you can find them with stick or auto, 4 cyl or V6, should be lot of them around. 4 cyl versions use timing chains not belts so less maintenance to worry about.
    -BMW 3 series coupes, 99 and up: might be high mileage for under $7500 and more expensive to maintain than imports but very sporty and fun to drive.

These would be my choices.

I'm pretty sure the crossfire would qualify as having a tiny trunk.

For a college kid, I'd stay away from anything oddball or complicated.

A 325 coupe wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'd only consider it if you know of a good indy mechanic near your school that specializes in them.

Otherwise, stick with the more commonplace and notoriously reliable vehicles, such as the aforementioned Civic/Accord/RSX. Maybe a Celica, although I don't know how the trunk is in that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    I'm pretty sure the crossfire would qualify as having a tiny trunk.

We have one - the trunk is minuscule. It'd be a problem if it were our only vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

1 - avoid anything European unless you are willing to go much older and more "classic" like a 318Ti or similar E36 series BMW, possibly. Or a late 90s Volvo 850 or a Mercedes C class of the same vintage. (before they got all round and plastic). The main reason is because spare parts and aftermarket clubs and support are easy to find, and they aren't complicated to the point where you can't fix them yourself.

2 - Lincoln/Ford makes exactly one car that would fit your criteria, the Grand Marquis. Make sure that it's in dark blue or dark red if possible and has the luxury trim package so that it doesn't look like a cop car. (white, black, and tan are NG). They are inexpensive and actually are quite reliable. Parts are cheap as well. Huge trunk as well.

3 - GM makes a good car for you. It's NOT the Cadillac. It's the same thing with a Buick badge on it for thousands less. Ie - a Buick Lucerne. These can be had for around your price range with the V6 engine. It's basically a Toyota Avalon clone, though, so it's not really "luxury". And while it's as reliable as a tank, it unfortunately handles and accelerates like one. Comfy but sedate would be the way I would describe it.

My top pick, though, is actually something completely different. I'd give serious consideration to a vehicle with sporty and luxury feel and driving while not being a massive boat that gets 18mpg. This leaves, as I mentioned, an older BMW, Volvo, or Mercedes, or something good from Japan. Which there are tons of cars like this for sale. For instance, a used Lexus IS300 is an excellent choice. A bit of luxury and a bit of sporty at the same time. Reliability is decent and it is quite fun to drive.
    edited February 2013
    Would a sporty 4 door work as well? I'm not talking GM crap, but more Euro sedans like a BMW or Mercedes. IME, it pays to just go to these sorts of cars if you are buying used, and just do it right. Everything else will simply be a sporty looking exterior with a rental car soul.

My top pick would be a late (1998 or so) BMW E36. Chose your body style, they're all the same fantastic car underneath. Also, Mercedes made the C230K (sedan and coupe) that got 30mpg and could be had with a manual (thereby avoiding the one major problem area, the automatic transmission). Volvo makes real sleepers sometimes. The 60 series cars were/are excellent and on nobody's radar. But put a manual in it, and it's old-school European fun all over again. VW made the (new)Jetta around that time as well, that could be had with a V6 (VR6) engine. Very nice and very quick. Avoid the 4 and turbo models of that era, though.

Repairs aren't that cheap, but you do get a fantastic driving experience. (actually the last time I got a part from Toyota for my 4Runner, it was more than I'd paid two years earlier for a similar part for my Mercedes)

For Japan, really only one vehicle shines as a European clone/competitor in that price range. That is the Lexus IS300 Sport. To me, it had that magic weight distribution and performance that just made it a joy to drive. The IS350 lost that and became more like everyone else's muscle car, and the IS250 was... too slow and heavy. If you've ever driven an old BMW or Volvo (240 turbo or similar), you'll feel like it's a modern version of the same idea. Light, agile, and very well composed.
    An alternative to an Accord coupe is the Camry Solara. Kinda rare in this price range, but would be reliable and would have a decent trunk. Looks pretty sporty even if it doesn't DRIVE sporty.

The Celica would be a good choice also, esp. in hatchback form... no, not a true coupe then, but two doors and the hatch would be more versatile than a coupe.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Another vote for a Celica hatchback...

Very hard to find an Acura RSX under $10K... no way to get an RSX-S for that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Very hard to find an Acura RSX under $10K... no way to get an RSX-S for that..

There is a ton of them on Craigslist in Vancouver right now that are under $10k (82 to be exact), some being the Type S model.

When going to the US to shop for groceries I pick up those car dealer flyers at supermarkets and noticed that US prices for used cars are same or more than in Canada recently.

It used to be the other way around 5 years ago with a ton of people importing US cars up here to save a few bucks.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Well... I have to admit, I haven't shopped in Canada.. :)

In my area, an RSX-S doesn't drop below $10K, unless the mileage is over 140K miles...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dudeman8092dudeman8092 Member Posts: 3
    So over the past few months I've researched and test driven a few cars and I'm still at a standstill in the conclusion. My top choices are as follows: 2009-2012 BMW 3 series (328i,330i,335i), Dodge Dart limited, or 2009-2012 Audi A4.

I don't know all the differences with the BMW series but I love the sleek fine design they have and the prestige reputation of comfort and reliability. Any owner reviews or suggestions would be appreciated. I'd be looking into purchasing a used model, what's the best year 2009-2012?

Audi A4 is along the lines of the BMW series but I don't see what makes them different than BMW besides slight price range. Better than BMW?

The Dodge Dart Limited, I know, seems crazy to be compared to the other giants, however after test driving a few darts I was surprised how much they bring to the table when fully loaded (costs approx. 27,000 loaded)

What I'm looking for in a vehicle:

1. $30,000 price range, new or used

2. Coupe or Sedan with comfortable front seats, back seats do not matter no comfort. (I am 6 foot tall)

3. Comfort, for long and short rides

4. Fuel efficiency 26+ MPG combined

5. Premium audio system

6. Reliability for 5+ years

7. Insurance costs: anything not labeled a "sports car"
    I've seen some Dart's on the road and the look decent. Kind of reminds me of 1994 when the go-cart-ish Dodge Neon hit the streets....and was quite the hit for awhile. Dodge has a history of some very trendy cool cars....for a few years then they age quickly and fade. I'd hate to drop $27k on one though regardless....I think it will be worth next to nothing in five years.

I think either the 3-series or A4 would be a decent vehicle. Should be relatively reliable but you will spend a lot on maintenance and even minor repairs. If you really like the cars though...it can be worth it. I would much rather buy a used 3 than a new Dart for the same money. If we're talking $20k then perhaps it's a different story. MPG on the germans likely isn't going to hit your target even if the EPA says so. The Audi turbo doesn't do as well as the EPA sticker says. One other neg to the germans is that insurance will likely be pricey if you're younger (as it sounds).

Just to throw out another worth checking out....Altima V6. Should be right in that price range loaded out, good performance (not Euro-worthy but not bad), decent features, cheaper insurance, mpg should be close, and should be a smooth five years in the maintenance/reliability category.
    Dart? First model year? And $27k? I'd rather have someone else take that plunge.

If I'm really serious about reliability over a 5 year period, I'd be leery of any used Audi too. A CPO 3 series would be a better bet; I had a solid BMW experience but the maintenance is higher.

I like sebring's Altima suggestion and I'd throw out the new Accord as well; you can get a Sport model (even with a 6sp MT!) that has received great reviews, looks good and it seems like a stupid good value for the money. You can get a V6 like the Nissan, too.

Have you driven a 335? I think if you do, you would instantly forget about the others.

Only problem is, 26mpg is the highway number. I get under 24 with 80% highway driving in my 135.

I'd skip the Dart as well. In 5 years you'll be lucky to get $5k for it on trade. Just look at what 07 Calibers (Dodge's small car back then) are trading selling for. Actually look at what 10 year old Neons (SX 2.0) are selling for vs 13 year old BMW's. Even though you're getting an older BMW for the money it will depreciate slower than the Dart. Also expect a few hundred thousand Darts to go into rental and lease fleets for 4 years and once they come back onto the market the values will drop.

I'd only get a Dart if it's on a dirt cheap short term (24-36 month) lease.

Audi and BMW sounds nice but from personal opinion the 3 series will have better handling and reliability than the Audi.

I have an 07 328i and absolutely love it. If you do get a 3 series I'd strongly recommend extended warranty or buying a Certified Pre Owned model with factory warranty that covers everything (bumper to bumper). It's well worth the money so much so that when mine ran out I bought another 2 years of warranty at the dealership I worked at. I've been in the car business and saw what problems can cost on these cars.

With my BMW the only problem I ran into was a vavle cover and some that warped and some tensioners that needed to be replaced at around 100,000kms (60k miles) which would have cost me about $2k if it wasn't for my warranty.

Otherwise the car's been great but maintenance will cost you more than a Dodge or Honda. Oil changes run about $200 here in Canada but they last about 9 months to 1 year. These cars also have runflats which are expensive to replace if bought from the dealer and there is no room in the trunk for a spare. These 3 series don't even come with a jack believe it or not.

However the driving dynamics and handling are among the best of almost any car out there. If you do go for a 3 series, look for one with the Sports Package. These will have 1/2 inch lower suspension, different steering wheel, and deep bolstered seats, also among the best of any car on the market.

Good luck!

edited February 2013
    What about a brand new BMW 320i? It has a less powerful engine, but is still plenty of car. Lots of equipment. And look at this price I just copied from the BMW web page:

34 mpg hwy*
    180 horsepower
    2.0-liter, inline 4-cylinder engine
    Rear-wheel drive
    STARTING AT
    $32,550 MSRP

With new you get full warranty, plus BMW's free maintenance for 4 years. You should be able to get maybe a grand off of list, putting it close to your 30k mark.

Or, you could get a loaded V6 Accord for that...
    Well, actually, we just traded my sister's Caliber SXT and it wound up working out pretty well for them. Bought it when they first came out for $16k, had it for near 6 years, didn't take good care of it, and traded it a few weeks ago for $4500. So roughly $2k/yr in depreciation. That's actually pretty damned good for buying new.

Of course, it was a cheap car, which limits the downside significantly. I wouldn't suggest paying $27k for a Dart. I'm sure you are right ... that would hurt in the end. But loading up a car with options usually does.

Exactly. If you were to trade a loaded Caliber that had $5k of extra options it would probably have been worth about $5k-$5.5k. So a fully loaded domestic compact at full sticker will result in higher overall depreciation to to the higher initial cost.

• dudeman8092dudeman8092 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the advise. After reading some comments Ive concluded its either BMW or Audi for me. However I want a AWD vehicle which I should have noted in the original post, does the 320i have an option of AWD?
    edited February 2013
    Yes, you can get a BMW 320i with AWD, but it adds $2000 to the price, which puts you at $34.5k before options or TTL.

What about a BMW X1? This is a really neat looking little SUV. Very good handling. A couple of thousand less than a 320i:

My X1 xDrive28i Details
    2.0-liter, TwinPower Turbo, inline 4-cylinder engine
    xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
    See all standard features
    BASE MSRP
    $32,500

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2013/3/320ixdrivesedan/default.a- - - spx

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2013/x/default.aspx
    The completely free maintenance for 4 years is a really nice added value with a new BMW. From their website:

Compare the true cost of other luxury vehicles to the exceptional value of a BMW.
    With BMW you get a well-equipped model along with our no-cost maintenance program - and with many models, our no-cost BMW Assist™ Safety Plan - for the first four years or 50,000 miles. Not to mention a selection of vehicles that consistently receive top honors from the automotive press.

It's a vehicle so advanced, it even comes equipped with peace-of-mind at no additional fee. So when comparing costs, a competitor's low monthly payment, may not be so low after all.
    Your mpg requirement will go out the window with AWD as well. I'm amazed at the horrible mpg of many awd cars....not much advantage over trucks/suvs.
    I've seen used Infiniti G25x here in the bay area for $24k, and that was without shopping around. Could be another option.

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    What do you mean by "extra options?"

Won't any new car bought a full sticker have higher depreciation?
    By extra options I meant base model vs a fully loaded model with $5k of extra (base Caliber SE vs loaded Caliber SXT with every option). In the end it's still a Caliber and few years down the road they will be similiar in value, hence the fully loaded model will depreciate more than a base model.

• raulgil5raulgil5 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone can I really want to buy an altima found one near me for great price but with great price comes great risk can any help me check the vin? 1N4AL21E58N537839 if you can reach out to me I have a brand new daughter and want a good car to drive her around in thank you in advance! :confuse:
    You might as well set aside the money for
    a: a CarFax membership so that you can check more than one car you're looking at and
    b: a pre purchase inspection at a local mechanic

Is this car sold privately or at a dealer? Did you see it in person?

• raulgil5raulgil5 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer... It's up in Phoenix and I'm in Tucson so wanted to see if anyone already had the unlimited carfax don't want to spend the gas to drive up if its not worth it :surprise:
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I need to start to research a new Sedan or SUV. Current car is having issues (transmission fluid leak) and that is strike two for it. One more strike and it's out so I'm starting to look now.

Must have for the new car: quiet, smooth, powerful, stylish, tech, fits 2 kids, under 40k. BULLETPROOF.

Quiet cabin: able to have a conversation at highway speeds. Isolated from road noise. I think of Mercedes Benz when I think of this.

Smooth: Handles bumps in the road well, shrugs off potholes, not too firm without being 'floaty'

Power: Hard to quantify, my car has ~270 hp / 270 ft/lb torque. 0-60 6.5 or so. At least close to that if not more. 300+ hp would be great but not a deal breaker.

Stylish: eye of the beholder so whatever you consider a good looking car. Sporty, lux-sport, SUV, whatever.

Tech: Back up camera, bluetooth, ipod connection, controls on dash, push start, auto lights, decent stereo. Would love a voice control system like Ford SYNC or similar.

Under 40k. Ideally under 35k, or as little as I'd have to spend to get these features. Would consider pre-owned.

Fit's 2 kids. 1 car seat and 1 booster seat.

Oh I forgot one of the most important things: Bulletproof. Reliable, low maintenance. I dont mind taking it in for regular service, but I need to know things will (probably) not break.

Any suggestions?
    edited February 2013
    I think it would help a lot if you could narrow it down to an SUV or a Sedan first...there's a pretty big gap between some of your wants...for example 270-300hp in an SUV doesn't typically get you 0-60 times in the 6.5 range. In fact, SUV choices with that type of acceleration performance isn't common at all. The cash also doesn't go nearly as far on an SUV....$35-$40k is very low-end of the luxury scale. You'll even find some non-luxury brands pricing well beyond that.

In the car world...I would look at the Acura TL with Tech pkg. I think it hits all your buttons and should ring up around $38k for new. All-wheel-drive is also available if that's something you found desirable about the SUV.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Thanks Sebring,

I would prefer a sedan but I just didn't want to eliminate an SUV. If the consensus is I'd need to spend over 40k to get those needs I'll have to consider it, or lease.

I do live in the NE so I've been thinking AWD or FWD. The 2004 Infiniti G35 I had was horrible in the snow, that's my only experience with RWD.

This would pair with my wifes Honda CRV so we already have a family hauler, but mine needs to fit 2 kids occasionally.

A last note would be I dont put many miles on my cars. Sub 10k per year, usually around 8k.

TL is a good suggestion and one I looked at last go around. Thanks!
  • red0624red0624 Member Posts: 5
    So I test drove the Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL yesterday and really liked it. Felt spacious, nimble, and much more upscale than I expected. Much bigger than the Audi A4 which I thought was too compact. Fuel economy rocks. And the price was under $35k. What's the scoop on this car? Given that Lincoln seems unable to deliver the MKZ Hybrid...am I crazy or s this a great alternative? :shades:
    What about the new top-of-the-line 2013 Accord Touring.

Has adaptive cruise control, lots of other fancy features, a V-6 that gives slightly faster acceleration than a BMW 3 series, and Honda reliability—all at a list price of about $34k.
    The Accord V6 is fast, I think 0-60 is in the upper 5's. All the Touring is missing is the badge (another plus, IMO).