Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Does the intrigue have traction control? I was considering the Intrigue for it's roominess and 3.5 engine.

I agree the intrigue is a great car. However, I'm not sure Altima/Maxima types will like it. It has more of an upscale look, while the Altima/Maxima have more of a sporty flavor.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Of those I like the Acura. You should have higher reliability with it. Plus, to get the Quattro, you have to lease 48 months, which is bad. Speaking of bad, why not find a car you can afford and buy it instead? Nissan has good deals on the Maxima now, why not try one of those out? You could probably own a Maxima for about what you are looking to pay for these cars you want to borrow.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Traction control is optional on the base Intrigue and standard on the GL and GLS models. It is a full range traction control system that will both reduce engine power and apply the brake to a wheel that is spinning. I've driven mine in the snow and was amazed at how well it did.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Rented an Intrigue last year - VERY nice car.
  • steffie2jcsteffie2jc Member Posts: 5
    Was all set on the Mercedes C240 until I read about some people getting lemons. Now I'm having second thoughts, and am starting to think that the Audi A4 3.0 front wheel drive might be a more reliable option for me. Any thoughts? What would you choose?
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    The A4 is a nice car, but more reliable than the Mercedes? I doubt it.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm not sure what you're goals are here, but in the entry-level luxury vehicles, I think the Audi is a nicer vehicle. Something about the cheaper MB's just scream "desperate to own a MB" in my book. Both are going to be expensive to fix after the warranty is up and probably both will have niggling issues.

A reliable entry-level option would be the Lexus ES300 or maybe even throw the dice on the Infiniti G35 which will stomp any of the entry levels in most performance aspects.

I've never driven the A4 front-wheel drive, but the AWD feels darn good and better than the MB's IMHO.
  • bbell4bbell4 Member Posts: 34
    Looking for feedback on the feel/power of the 325 vs the 330. Can you really tell a big difference in horsepower? Is it worth the extra money?? I drive mostly in town but there are some open roads,and love the feel of my stick. I think I'd like getting that extra power. Just not sure I can come up with the extra money!
    I agree with Sebring, something about entry level MBs(and BMWs) seem cheap. Looks wise, the A4 wins hands down over the C-class anyway. As for reliability, that I don't know. MBs are known for long haul dependability, but that doesn't always mean trouble tree. Audi has made some major improvements in recent years. I'd pick which ever one you personally like the best.
  • aieshaaiesha Member Posts: 1
    I,have been contemplating a Sentra purchase. Unfortunately I cannot buy new at this time. Is there anything I should know in looking for that perfect one. My cousins have a Maxima and they don't stop raving about it. Should I stick to Nissan dealers only? Help!!! Oh yes, I probably will be looking to spend about $3000. Thanks!
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    These cars handled very well, were reliable, and despite their age, still look good today. Except for the delightfully fast and fun SE-R model, almost any of them should be in your price range.
  • warrior6521warrior6521 Member Posts: 5
    BMW 325i
    BMW 330i
    Infiniti G35
    Infiniti I35

Costs - performance - maintenance costs - dealership experience before and after the sale...
    You have quite a wide range there. The 325i can be had for under 30 grand while the 330i will push 40 easily. The styling on the G35 is very polarizing. You either love it or hate it. I think it looks good, but may not age well, sort of like the new 740i IMO. I think it's hard to go wrong on the I35. For under 30 grand, you get (I think) 255 hp, leather, sunroof, BOSE, traction control, and a real back seat if you ever need to drive friends/customers anywhere. Not too mention a great warranty and superior service at the dealership. You won't go wrong with any of these, I believe, but I would go for the I35 myself. BTW, don't isten to the "The I35 is just a rebadged Maxima" junk as you get more car with the I.
    You should add the Cadillac CTS to that above list as well. BTW, the I35 is a fancy Maxima right down to the beam axle rear suspension. But yes it does offer alot of luxury features for the $$. Somehow I don't see alot of 3 series and G35 customers looking at the I as the I is FWD and more "comfort" tuned while the others are RWD and more performance oriented. For performance I'd shop the 3 series, G35, CTS, possibly the Lexus IS300 and MB C-class.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What is wrong with the Accord? I am just curious.
  • aamselaamsel Member Posts: 1
    Seats just are not comfortable to me, although some (many) people love them. There is a wedge in the lower seat cushion that pushes into my lower back and causes me discomfort. A friend has an Accord, and I have sat in it many times with the same effect. Only takes about 10 minutes to do it to me.
    Andrew
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Which costs more, the $12,000 car or the $15,000 car? Sounds simple, but as we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks a lot for this information. We will be checking this TCO section.
    Update: I have tried the TCO for a couple of cars and it is a great tool. This will definitely help the prospective car buyer with his/her research. Thanks again Edmunds. You are doing a great service here with your web site. fredvh.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dandoe123dandoe123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm looking to buy a new car and I'd appreciate it if you guys had any suggestions. I'm considering between the following cars: Hyundai Tiburon, Acura RSX, Honda Civic EX, Infiniti G20, Subaru Impreza, Nissan Sentra SE-R or the Spec-V.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    You've got a variety of vehicles and price ranges covered. I have to ask though, what are YOU asking/looking for? They're all small, sporty hatchback/coupes but have different approaches on how they achieve the fun factor. Some are easier to customize and some are more image conscious. One isn't even being made anymore (G20). My opinion, go with the Acura. It's dependable, sporty, customizable, good ride, good engine, nice image and a hoot to drive. Let us know what you choose.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • cfernandezcfernandez Member Posts: 2
    I have to come up with a decision now on whether to buy the civic Ex or the Hybrid. Is it really worth the higher price of the Hybrid in the long run compared to the civic? I really don't know which is the smart choice. My price range is 18-20k. All I'm concern of is reliability, fuel effeciency and cost of ownership in 3-5 yrs time.
    Pls. help us, we would really appreciate all the insights you can give. Thank you so much.
    That is quite a range of vehicles! The fact that the G20 is not being made any more makes is an attractive buy right now, IMO. You can pick one up now with auto, leather, sunroof, Bose and more for under 18 grand. I also like the Spec V for $2000-$2500 less. Good luck in your decision!
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Many vehicles are more costly to insure due to high theft rates, so don't forget to compare insurance premiums. If you park in public places or on the steets it's something to consider. Even if you don't care about the higher rates it's still a hassle when you're car is stolen.
    How can I buy a G20 for under 18K? The best I have seen is just over 20K. That would be an excellent price if one could get it for 18K.
    I live in metro Atlanta. Infiniti of Gwinnett in Duluth, GA advertises the G20 for $17,488. Troncalli Infiniti in Decatur, GA (DeKalb County) says their G20 with auto, leather, and sunroof is $17,990. Shoot, they are selling the I35 with the sunroof & sunshade package for $25,990. They have some good prices on Infinitis around here.
  • manimal79manimal79 Member Posts: 7
    hey guys, i am planning on buying a car real soon and i have come down to the following choices in no particular order:

-2002 Toyota Camry LE or SE
    -2002 Honda Accord LX or Special Edition
    -2002 Nissan Maxima SE

Also, is it worth getting the V6 option for the camry and honda, or is the 4 cylinder on both cars strong enough?

Thanks in advance guys and happy hunting!
    I saw one of those ads and thought it was very hard to read but apparently those 17K ads state that options are in addition to that 17+K. Does your ad state that?
    From the three you listed, I'd say go with the Maixima and forget the other two. 255 hp V6 STANDARD on the Maxi and the Maxi can also be had with a 6 speed manual. If you do go with a Camccord, by all means get the V6.
    The end of the line for the current Accord and Maximas make them very attractive right now. I see Maximas starting under 20 grand with SE models with leather and sunroof for around $23,000. For the Honda, check out the EX. They are going in the 17's around here and are MUCH better than the LX or SE. Remember the SE is an LX with a few EX-type options. The EX is a much better car--mechanically. FWIW, the 4 cylinder in the Camry and Accord is more than adequte, IMO. Sure, it's no 255 HP six like the Maxima; but, the 4 cylinder is no slouch. My brother has a 2000 Accord EX with the 4 cylinder, and it has plenty of pick up, again, IMO. Good luck to you!
    I have not paid too much attention to the fine print as I'm not going to buy one anyway. I do know of a guy, though, who bought an I35 from Troncalli Infiniti as equipped in the ad for the price in the ad--plus TTL and destination, of course.
    Why is the EX better mechanically than the LX?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    not sure how car dealers in your area stay in business! First, the I35 for under $18K and now a Max for under $20K???? The invoice on the cheapest model Max (GXE) is almost $23K....

come on....
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    right now are on the accord - they will be replacing it in the fall, and want to sell what's left. They also have a flood of those '02 VPs right now - should be able to get a really great deal on one at the moment.

The Maxima is going to be harder to get a good price, because they just put the more powerful engine in it, and IMO it is not worth it, because in a year or two they will be coming out with an all new maxima, which for one thing will not have the rear beam axle (how could they still have that on this car?). If you love Nissan, DEFINITELY go with the new altima instead - all the powertrain is intact, handling is better, and manual available with V-6 engine. Plus, about the same price, just a little less of the luxury goods.

Camrys are going pretty cheap right now too - lots of incentives, free maintenance, advertised prices under $18K. BUT you should be able to do even better than that price on an Accord, as long as you are not hung up on having the latest best thing.

And hey! Doesn't the accord LX and EX have the same powertrain now? It is just the DX that has the wimpier engine. So mechanically they are about the same...they definitely have the same engine.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• soulpolesoulpole Member Posts: 3
    both as 4 cylinder with AT's. I test drove a 99 Passat and the turbo lag was horrible, almost to the point of being unsafe when pulling into traffic. I don't know if this was just a bad car or if this is typical of 4 banger Passats. I know the 9-3 has about 35 more HP. Please advise.
    you actually found an '02 Max SE for under $20K? Where on earth did u find that price? i'm really curious. the cheapest price i found for the '02 Max SE was $21K in NYC. I live in NJ, real close to NYC and the cheapest price i found for the SE in NJ is $23K.

and also, where did u find an Accord EX at around $17K? do let me know, thanks!
    First, maybe I typed something wrong... the I35 is not under $18k. As per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last Sunday (May 19), these are the prices I found. Troncalli Infiniti in Decatur, GA has the 2002 G20 with auto, leather, and sunroof for $17,990 and the 2002 I35 with the sunroof and sunshade package for $25,990. They say they have "several to choose." I know of a guy who bought a $26k I35, so I believe their prices are legit. Team Nissan in Marietta, GA has the 2002 Maxima SE with auto for $19,777 with dealer keeping rebates and add tax, tag and title. They also advertise the 2002 Sentra with auto and CD for $10,777 which is a heck of a price as well. Most Nissan dealers don't price the Maximas in their ads--they just say they are $6000 off MSRP. Another Nissan dealer advertises the Altima with leather and automatic for about $19,650. The best I've seen for Accords is at Lanier Honda in Buford, GA (near the Mall of Georgia). They advertise a new Accord LX with automatic for $15,644. They have a new SE with auto for $16,844 and an EX with V6 and leather for $20,844. Someone asked how the EX was better than the LX when they have the same 150 HP VTEC engine. I don't have my 2002 Accord brochure any more, so I don't remember all the little differences. They did include things like the LX having rear drum brakes with no ABS while the EX has 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes. There were other things having to do with maybe rear cupholders and the standard stereo or something as well. If you go to the Honda dealer and get a brochure, you will find that there are actually many differences between the two besides the sunroof.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    you did say the G20 for under $18K, not the I-35. But still, that price on the Max SE is a "loss leader" for sure. No way a dealer can absorb that over and over and make a profit....

FWIW, was at my local Nissan dealer today and you can't touch a 2002 SE for under $23K....
    I'm sure that $19,777 price was a loss leader. Today's Team Nissan ad says 2002 Maxima SE with leather and automatic for $20,777, so they've gone up $1000 in 3 days. In today's paper Regal Nissan says they have a 2002 Maxima SE with sunroof for $21,888. Both Peachtree Nissan and United Nissan will sell you a new Maxima SE with automatic for $20,577 according to today's ads. I'm sure it just has to do with the new models on the way in.
    $19,7777 or even $21,888 is still a good price for a Maxima SE. I'm not a big fan of the Maxima myself, but it has a powerful V6 engine and comes pretty well equipped even in lower trim levels.
  • jenebekajenebeka Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I am about to purchase another car and have narrowed down my selections to two choices. One is a 99 Acura TL with 27,000 miles. The other is a new 2002 VW Jetta. Any thoughts? I can go either way at this time. What are your thoughts? Is the Acura a better choice because of its quality even though it is older?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Which trim of Jetta were you looking at? 1.8T, TDI, 2.0, etc.?
    i was just wonderin what IMO and FWIW stands for...
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    =For What It's Worth

And IMO=In My Opinion (variation is IMHO where H=Humble)
    How many people will you regularly carry? If it's just you to and from work, the Jetta would be great because it's smaller than the TL. If you're going to haul a couple of kids around, I'd look hard at the TL--although the TL doesn't have a real big back seat, either.
    Do you prefer a luxury car or a smaller and more sporty car? My pick between those two would be the Acura, but the idea of having a brand new car with a full warranty is also tempting.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I have to agree with claywaterfill and oldsman01. If you need to haul people go with the TL. If you need to haul people once in awhile or not at all, take the Jetta and the warranty and run. Either way you can't go wrong.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    I'm surprised that you have narrowed your choices to such disparate cars. The TL is essentially a Honda Accord. The car is a nice, substantial, somewhat dull but very reliable car. The Jetta is a fun car which handles well, with a supple ride, a very tight body, but a cheap looking interior, a tin can feel, and relatively expensive.

I'd always buy a new car over a more lavish used car.

Just a thought. If the TL appeals to you, you might look at the new Corolla. It's smaller and cheaper but quite a car. It's brand new and I think blows the doors off of the Jetta unless fun is paramount.
  • bsum70bsum70 Member Posts: 37
    Acura TL is a fine car but it drives to much like an Accord and the intererior is VERY similar to the Accord.
    What kind of Jetta are you considering? The price variation is HUGE (from a 2.0L GL to a fully loaded GLX). Unless you choose the cheapest Jetta otherwise I don't think you should even consider it. It is too SMALL!! Also I heard all the horrible story about it's reliability (Jettas are made in Mexico, I don't know that have something to do with that) If you like VW, why not consider the Passat??? They are much bigger than the Jetta and both 1.8T and V6 engine provide adequate power with much better reliability record.
    For most of us fun is paramount in a car. Between the Corolla and the Jetta, I'd pick the Jetta hands down. As someone else mentioned, it not only has a turbo I4, but an available V6. And I believe that V6 can be had with a manual as well. Thats becoming a rare combination these days.