Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Maybe pull the fuel hose out a bit? I've had this happen w/various cars at some finicky pumps (usually in California, for some strange reason), but found that if you pulled the hose out a tad, it reduces the splashing or whatever that makes the pump shut off unexpectedly.
  • jaymokajaymoka Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at a 1999 S70 to buy. The car is very clean, but when you start it without applying any gas (or when you stop it), the engine shakes and vibrates a little. The car has 78000 miles on it, and besides that little rattle, it's in mint condition.
    Should I be worried about that engine vibration (it lasts maybe one second)? Anyone has any idea what that could be. One of my friends suggested it could be the engine mount, but the car idles perfectly, and rides even better.
    Please, if you can help, let me know. YOu can also email me at jaymoka1@yahoo.com. Thank you, very much for your help.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Ask when the last services are done. I was having the problem when starting not too long ago. I finally changed the spark plugs and air filter and that made it go away. The issue with shutting it off I didn't have, but you never know. And, yes, it idled and ran fine. It was just rough when starting.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bga123bga123 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a pre-owned 2001 model Certified Volvo vehicle. Less than 100 miles from the dealer I get ABS and STC warning lights. If I stop and restart the engine the lights go away. Any ideas what would cause this? Also, anyone know if the diagnostic system keeps a history of the paramaters that triggered the alert so that the dealer can diagnose even if the lights aren't on at that moment?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Each time you apply the brakes the ABS ecu will check the reserve brake fluid pressure in the nitrogen charged accummulator, if it is low it will restart the ABS pumpmotor to recharge it.

If ABS is never activated then the pressure should NOT be down, but if the system should for some reason have a slow leak then the pumpmotor will likely be restarted for each and every brake application. After ten restarts (92 LS400) the ECU "faults" the system.

Restarting the car gives you another "ten tries".
  • xam444xam444 Member Posts: 1
    Steve, How did you solve your gas fill-ups, cuz I have the same problem, Thanks, Rob
  • newb911newb911 Member Posts: 3
    You answered the ? about the FM radio, but what about the AM? I can not pick up a single AM station. Does anyone have any insight?
  • hollebeekhollebeek Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 850 with 94 K. My CEL went off last week and I took it to Autozone. The guy hooked up his computer and it said the O2 sensor. The car runs fine. Should I repair it immedialty or can I wait.
    If it runs fine, you could wait, but I wouldn't wait too long. It could cause stalling issues if the signals it sends to the ECU get real out of whack.

Its not too tough of a job to do yourself, so I'd get the part ASAP and wait for the first non-freezing day and get it done.

hope these instructions help:
    http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/o2sensor1.htm

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kokopelekokopele Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a 95 850GLT wagon, 5 speed manual transmission. My odometer (trip and regular) has stopped working. The speedometer and the trip computer (accumulated miles and miles to empty) still function. I can't find any solution in the owner's manual and there is no blown fuse. Any thought on the problem or easy solution. The car runs fine otherwise with 201K miles. Thanks.
    when you say its not working, do you mean it no longer increases or it has gone blank? I would assume that you mean it has gone blank since I wouldn't think it would stop advancing while the trip computer continues to advance. So, if its blank, and I don't believe this has its own fuse, I would tend to think its the LCD unit itself. This is a new one on me, though, so I'm just guessing.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    You've probably stripped one of the plastic gears in the odo's case.
    A speedo shop can rebuild it for you. Only problem is your car is now TMU(True miles unknown, on the title)
    didn't even think that this had a mechanical odo instead of a digital. Is that the case?

yup, digital odo didn't arrive till 98 and the S70
    does it still received a electric signal or does it the old-style cable-driven mechanism? If the latter, I usually find the gear inside the transmission case strips first. But would that still allow the trip computer to work on this model?

since the poster hasn't commented back, I guess we are probably talking about this for no reason, but, hey, its not like there are a lot of problems flying around here. ;)

• kokopelekokopele Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay. Been in the boondocks of OK.
    The trip odometer reads 000 and doesn't advance and the regular odometer is stuck on 201455. I guess it's to the shop. I was confused since the functions in the trip computer still work. I recently had a rear oil seal repair (and the clutch replaced since they were in there) - maybe it is related. Thanks for your response.
  • reneerenee Member Posts: 13
    Good morning,
    I purchased a 2002 s60 T5 and yesterday when I was driving it home I experienced a weird sensation. When I pressed the breaks at one intersection, the steering wheel move to the left but the car did not seem to move with it. I pressed the breaks again and the wheel went to the left again. After that I had to straighten the steering wheel to keep driving. This did not happen again. Was this the Dynamic stability control system kicking in? The car has brand new pads and rotors and the roads were slightly wet.
    Thanks
    if it didn't happen again and doesn't happen again in the near future, I wouldn't worry about it. New pads and rotos can take a little time to break in and act in unison and smoothly.

As far as DSC, I couldn't tell you, but I don't believe it should be doing anything when braking. That's what ABS is for.

• lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Actually, DSTC has a lot to do with braking.
    When system detects some, even small wheel spin or lateral move of the vehicle, it either applies the brakes or adjust the torque to the appropriate wheel.
    So, on the wet road, if due to the different friction in the brakes of the different wheels, one wheel appear to rotate faster or slower than the other, the DSTC will kick in.
    Here is directly from Volvo:

Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC) is a sophisticated stabilization system which, in addition to the STC functions, intervenes and corrects any tendency to skid. A number of sensors monitor the rotational speed of all four wheels, the driver's steering wheel input -- e.g. the steering angle -- and the course of the car. The DSTC control unit processes these signals and, if any deviation from the norm is detected, such as the start of a rear-wheel skid, the system intervenes and gently activates the brakes to the appropriate wheel to put the car back on course again. It also reduces engine power if necessary.
    but does it still apply when you are actually braking? Again, isn't that what ABS is for?

Also, how can it apply brakes to a particular wheel when you are hitting your brakes and applying them to all wheels?

I really think (and I'm not saying I'm right, but this was my understanding) that DSC is implemented while driving and skidding. So your foot is on the gas, you slide, the system brakes at the appropriate wheels to get you under control.

Rob,
    I see your point and it made me think, however, my understanding is (but I might be wrong), that once you have the DSTC on your car it takes over the ABS. The ABS becomes a sub-system that is used by DSTC.
    I would want to hear from the expert on this subject.
    think we'll get one? ;)

interesting stuff.
    thanks.

STC only works for starting and accelerating while DSTC works for everything. Good to know.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but the posts containing copyrighted material were removed. I've asked the member to post links to those articles.
    Use the same system, the brakes.
    DSTC only functions in spin-out situations.
    When driving thru a curve at high speeds for example, if the tail of the car starts to come around the DSTC system will activate the appropriate brake caliper to maintain the proper path.
    ABS on the other hand will modulate all the brakes simultaneously if you hit the brake pedal while driving on a less than perfect surface.
    We apparently have different perspective to the copyright law.
    The law in general does not prohibit a quote from the source, when that source is clearly indicated, unless quoting is explicitly prohibited.

The disclaimer on swedespeed says:
    No photos, news stories, graphics, or Swedespeed logos may be used or reproduced without written permission

I have not done any of those.

But it's all right, your are the boss...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A quote, which is a brief passage or excerpt with proper acknowledgement, is okay. However, entire articles copy/pasted, even if acknowledging the source, is not okay. If you have any further questions concerning TH policy, please address them to me in email or you may also pose your questions in the "Ask the Hosts" topic in News & Views.
    Just re-read the Membership agreement and have a question:
    For the future reference, what would you consider as a reasonable length for the quotes?

The agreement specifies 25 words limit for the "outgoing" quotes. What would be that number, in your mind, for the "incoming" quotes from other sources?
  • reneerenee Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for responding. I have not experiencd that weird feeeling again so I guess it was the DSTC.

Thanks.
    i thought having mult-channel ABS was so that they could be regulated independently? So the 4-channel ABS is one channel for each wheel.

And according to that article, the DSTC works in both braking and driving situations. Is that not true?

I think that volvomax just over simplified his answer. The DSTC works for both, just as it was described in the article. I have found a few other sources since then, all saying the same thing.

And if you read the official Volvo site, the ABS is not even mentioned as a feature, only STS, DSTC and TRACS ( for AWD, where applicable).
    DSTC won't operate if you are braking in a straight line for example. If you are braking while turning violently then it could.
    The 4 channel ABS system is designed to operate the 4 brakes independently in ABS mode, true.
    My DSTC explanation was simple, but I just wanted everyone to know what the system was designed to do w/out going into engineeringese.

"My DSTC explanation was simple, but I just wanted everyone to know what the system was designed to do w/out going into engineeringese."

And as usual, when something is over simplified - the sense is gone too.

The DSTC was designed to improve the safe handling of the car under all circumstances.

The DSTC operates all the time, under all driving conditions, from the time you turn the ignition key on, till the time you remove the ignition key off the lock.

Whether it interferes or not with your actions - that is a different story, but do not be confused - the sensors monitor the car's "behavior" constantly, and the system is ready to react in milliseconds, unless your turn it off.

For instance, it even works when car is still stationary. In winter I was getting out of the snow pile and no matter how hard I will press on the gas pedal, the DSTC will not let my FWD to spin. Try it, and you will understand my amazement. The feeling is totally counter intuitive at first - the engine revs up, but the wheels are turning really slow, digging you out from the snow.
    I am glad it did for you, because it did not for me.
    Volvomax is totally off mark contrasting the DSTC to the ABS. The ABS is a subsystem of the DSTC, but not an independent system, unless you turn DSTC off.

According to all the sources the DSTC is a "marriage" of specifically enhanced ABS and ECU (electronic control unit).

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/printer_38.html
  • esommeresommer Member Posts: 24
    Can anyone provide information pertaining to a malfunctioning speedometer on a 1989 240DL Wagon? I traced a brake light problem to the bulb failure sensor. After replacing the failure sensor the lights were working again but I noticed the speedometer and odometer had stopped working. I'm not sure if the problems are related or a coincidence... The car has about 145,000 miles on it.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    I use to have a 240DL sedan and I also had problems with the speedometer and an entire gauge combination. The reason was a poor contact in the mufti-prone plug connecting the combination with the electrical system. The solution was to spray the connector with the contact cleaner and wrap it with the duct tape to ensure the proper contact.
    sorry, but volvomax's last post (102) makes perfect sense and does not, in fact, separate the 2 systems in reference to DSTC. You even said yourself that the ABS can operate without DSTC by turning the latter off. If the ABS were dependent on the DSTC, then that would not be possible. Since it is possible, the ABS is an independent system that is being utilized by DSTC. And the fact is, ABS can be activated in an emergency situation without activating DSTC.

I think the confusion lies in reading articles such as you posted which only discuss DSTC. Everything in that article is true, I'm sure, but in relation to DSTC. For its part, yes, it utilizes the ABS and ECU. But the ABS does not, in turn, utilize the DSTC.

We are getting off the subject of the discussion.
    The initial question was: Is the jolt in the steering wheel during the braking on the wet surface, while car maintains perfectly straight caused by DSTC?

The answer is - Yes, and I do not think it is debatable.

It is like saying that when someone intentionally touches something with his hand, that movement is not a product of that someone will, because, while sleeping, hands can move "independently" of that person consciences.

Remember, that the person who asked the question has stated that the car has DSTC and it was on.

And when thinking of dependency, remember your own body. The ECU is the "brains", the ABS is the "hand", the yaw sensor is the "eye", but DSTC is a whole body.
     Yes, you can detach the hand from the body, but will it be the same?
    Honestly, Rob, I have only one concern - I am glad and you, by some reason is sorry.
    Please do not be.
    I am not confused.
    So, let's be happy :-)
    Lev,
    DSTC had nothing to do w/ your straight line snow traction. That was the STC part of the system. Yes, DSTC incorporates STC. DSTC is a yaw control program. Sorry to be splitting hairs.
    Thanks for the info. Can you give me more detail on this connection? Where is it located and what does it look like?
    The connector is behind the gauge combination. You would have to pull the entire combination outward. I did figure out how to it two years but can not remember all the details now. It was not too difficult to do. Once the combination is out, you will see the connector. It's a "regular" mufti-prone automotive plug that connects the combination to the rest of the electrical system. It has a latch, and that latch is supposed to ensure some tension, that keeps the male/female contact groups together, but over the time, the latch loosens, and the electrical connectivity is lost or become not reliable.

I had sprayed the contacts with the electronic contact cleaner - available in any hardware store - and then, tied the male and female part of the connector together, crisscrossed over the latch to ensure better connection. It did cure the problem.

My problem was that once I start the car, the speedometer will work, but over sudden, the gauge will start oscillating from the read to zero, and eventually just fall to the zero mark. It would operate again, if you give the combination a nice kick with your fist. That drove me to the conclusion that the problem is electrical and is related to the loosen connection.
    I have removed the instrument cluster and cleaned the contacts on the back of the speedometer. It still doesn't work. The odometer/tripmeter doesn't work either. It appears that the speedometer and odometer/tripmeter are electronic, since there isn't a cable from the trans to the instrument cluster. Can anyone give me more info on this? Can I use a volt ohm meter on the speedometer wires to see if there is a signal? If so, what should I see on the VOM? I would believe that if there were a signal on the wires that the instrument cluster was bad. If no signal on the wires what could it be and how can I test?
    Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Well, again, I'm not all too familiar with this vehicle in particular, but on other vehicles I've worked on with electronic units, the sender at the transmission can go bad.

• juliejulie Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone have problems with their top? I was putting my top down and I heard a loud CRACK sound. I looked over the right side of there is a flap that went down but as it was doing this it tore the leather on the panel. I took it back to the dealer and they said that they have never had this happen, only if I was trying to put the top down while I was driving. I told the service person, how is it possible to do that when you cleary have to put the brakes up before the top would go down. They said the hindge had to be replaced and that they would have to replace the panel, but since the vehicle is the latest model the panel is on back order for 4-5 wks. So I am still waiting.
  • chazmaticchazmatic Member Posts: 6
    Hello Volvo people. I have a 1994 960 Wagon w/82K on her. Everytime I start her up the lifters are loud. Most of the time, it goes away when the engine is warmed up. And sometimes one or two are still clicking softley. A friend of mine thinks it's the injectors. When you put your hand on the long bar where the injectors are under. It seens to becoming from them. Is this possible ? I've never heard of loud (clicking) injectors. The engine itself runs smooth as silk. Any help would be great. Chazmatic.
    its the lifters and its normal.

The only injectors that I could ever hear were the Bosch electro-mechanical injectors that Mercedes and Porsche used to use.
This discussion has been closed.