Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Has to be done at the dealer.
    The software is not available to the public.
  • dmkaradmkara Member Posts: 2
    I read the manual and do not want to flame about pros. and cons of DLRs. I don't know about Canada, but in sunny CA climate they are pointless, annoying to other drivers and totally unfair to vehicles who really need that extra visibility, such as motorcycles. I just want to know how to disable them without paying $100 to a dealer.
  • oldvooldvo Member Posts: 1
    240/SWAGON -TRY TO PULL THE ROOF LINING COVER AT EDGE AND YOU WILL DISCOVER THE HARNESS ROUTING ,JOINT/INSULATE BACK THE WIRE
    REISTALL BUT PLS GIVE ROOM FOR FREE PLAY WHEN CLOSE/OPEN THE REAR HATCH ,:SAIDIN
    Find another dealer that charges less.
    The command to turn off the DRL's is software not hardware.
    Only the Volvo dealers have access to that software.
  • bbabbbbabb Member Posts: 1
    Hello all

I am having a most difficult time with a Volvo 960 (1995).

The check engine light comes on. Taking the car to the shop for reading the codes has the technicians telling me they could find nothing wrong with the car, they turn off the light but it comes back on within 30 miles of driving.

Local inspection stations will not pass cars with this light on. The car is due for inspection and it is getting quite expensive to pay $85 a pop to have this light turned off with nothing wrong to fix to stop the light from coming on again down the road.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I cannot locate the OBD II plug that should be inside the compartment as well. Have removed the knee guard on the driver's side and there is a small access under the parking brake handle with nothing in there.

Any assistance in stopping this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
    OBD port is in the center console of the 960.
  • eric24eric24 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2003 V40 that's due soon for it's 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. Looks like it's going to be $600-700 for an overpriced oil change/fluid check. Will bringing it into another (much, much cheaper) service garage for maintanence affect our warranty on the car?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    personally, i would only trust a knowledgeable volvo mechanic. Yes, someone who does NOT work at a volvo dealership can be that person.

but, where are you getting your $600 quote? Are you calling the dealer and asking them how much for the 30K service? Because that would be a mistake. Look in your owners manual and see what is required, then call and ask "how much for x, y, and z?" Because the dealerships 30k service is pretty much ALWAYS more expensive and includes many more items than required by the manufacturer.

And you also have to watch what you are asking for. For instance, checking brakes is usually a part of the service interval, but go ahead and check them yourself. You can certainly see if your brake pads need changing. And brakes are not under warranty anyway, so as far as that affecting your warranty, it just doesn't matter.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gintonikgintonik Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!

I'm not Chinese but I live in China now and brought my car here. It's a Volvo s40 2001and I need to change all my pads and discs which I also brought with me. Even though I have never done that before, I trust myself more than those Chinese mechanics and think that I'm skillful enough with my hands do this.

However, Is there anything I should know before I get started?

Thank you in advance!
  • joe070joe070 Member Posts: 1
    Why don't the sun visors swivel to the side windows? In the morning I drive South & the sun coming in the drivers side window is tough. In the evening - ditto when I drive North? Any replacement swivel visors available? If not, why not?

Why do I hear creaks and moans when I'm pulling into parking spaces and turning hard left or right?

Why isn't there any rear view mirror compass option I can purchase?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    The visors don't swivel because they could interfer with the top operation. I agree they should swivel though. We, as drivers, should have the smarts to move them back to the proper position before working the top.
  • doubledogmomdoubledogmom Member Posts: 2
    Problem: Drive home from work. Park in garage. Turn off engine - 30 to 60 seconds later a loud boom from the rear end of the car. Stupid dealership has no idea yet. Still running tests. Any advices, guesses, educated answers? Urgent needs help asap.
    Thanks Debora, Georgia, United States
  • redrockredrock Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 XC90. I had the dealer program the computer to automatically lock the doors at 5 mph. However, even before this, when I stop and the passengers want to exit they can't unless I manually unlock the doors. My other vehicles open if you pull the handles. I know this is a child safety issue but not all people who buy Volvo have young children. The dealer told me this feature can't be changed. It's very annoying for the passengers. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks Steve
    I'm pretty sure something like this is an internal mechanism design issue and can't be changed electronically in any way (well, unless you want to take apart the door and solder a trigger wire of some sort ... but i'm not sure if that's even possible ... just a theory).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 3boys1dog3boys1dog Member Posts: 4
    Hi - I posted on the 850 wagons board, but thought you all might be of help. i just purchased a '95 850 wagon with 107k miles on it. I am wondering about how much it will cost to fix/replace the reat hatch struts - the tailgate wont stay up by itself. Also, the interior smells a little like gasoline. Not really strong, but I am wondering if this indicates a problem. Are volvos (especially a 10 yr old) normally kind of on the loud side? I have all the service records on this car so I know it was well maintained, but I am really hoping to drive it another 5 years then pass it on to my oldest son when he gets his license.
    Thanks for your advice!
    JO
    Hatch struts aren't that much. Getting them out is a little work.

Fuel smell isn't good. Could be the fuel pump giving out.
    actually, it sounds to me like you might have one problem giving you 2 indications. The smell and the loudness. Possibly an exhaust leak. Have it checked ASAP!

• bottlerocketbottlerocket Member Posts: 1
    Help--I'm looking for ideas:
    I just bought a nice used 2003 XC90. The problem is that the CD player seems possessed! It scans CDs at odd, unpredictable times, it switches from CD to radio on its own. The dealer can't figure it out. I'm looking for advice on:
    1. Any thoughts about what is wrong and how to fix it?
    2. Has anyone else had problems with Volvo's ultra fancy audio system?
    3. What do you think about simply taking it out and replacing it with an aftermarket electronic system?

Thanks,
    Dan
    is it still under the bumper-to-bumper?
    If so, let the dealer replace the whole thing.

• desperatedesperate Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks, Cousin has a Volvo `95 850 2.3 turbo auto, park in a space, can`t select reverse! Have to drive around `til she can drive in & out of space, been pushed out a few times by friendly natives! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dealer claims "doesn`t know!

Desperate
  • lj_chipmunklj_chipmunk Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 2.0 V40 and recently after a training session with mates i somehow managed to permanently lock the boot. Turns out that due to that stupid feature of when the car is locked and when the driver opens the door, it unlocks everything, i seemed to have opened my door at the same time as one of my mates was pushing the button on the boot to open it, causing the boot button to remain permanently depressed and the boot remain permanently locked. This has become extremely annoying as now i have to move bootable items through the back seat.

Now i have a friend who has also done this before and said that when he took to the volvo service to get the problem fixed, it was a $500 job!!!

If someone knows how to fix this problem without me having to spent hundreds of dollars to fix a stupid 'lock glitch', your help would be greatly appreciated
  • avwavw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T that I love. I just passed 40k miles and in the last 2 months I have had 2 seperate chip issues that have required replacing and time driving loaners. The ignition chip went out in Dec and my car is at the dealer now with a throttle sensor issue that is being replaced. Our concern is that we have 10k left on the warranty, we dont believe in extended warranties and this would cost serious money if we were outside of warranty. This is supposed to be a great car but we are considering selling it now. Honda, Toyota and Lexus have all been driven to w/in an inch of their lives w/very few issues, if any, such as these. What to do...any others w/these issues???
  • baynebayne Member Posts: 2
    Trying to locate keypads for a GuardAlarm 2 system. The keypad remote # is 1309944. I can start the car without one, but you have to open the door, let is scream for a few seconds, disconnect the battery, turn the key in the start position then re-connect the cable. Unfortunately, the radio is bypassed and you drive around hearing that annoying whinning sound you hear when the door isn't securely closed. So I guess I need to know if there's anywhere to get the keypad I need - I understand Volvo doesn't handle anything for the '93s anymore.....HELP!!!
  • burtonsnowbirdburtonsnowbird Member Posts: 3
    MY V70R has been having trouble starting in the mornings. If I can get her started she runs perfect all day and has no problem starting all day. I can hear my fuel pump running and none of the injectors are leaking. I had the throttle body changed by Volvo less than a year ago. The OBD2 shows nothing. Any ideas?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • lady_alady_a Member Posts: 2
    Are the pads and rotors of the 2001 S40 one unit and have to be replaced together? During my routine maintenance visit at the Putnam Volvo dealership in Burlingame, CA I was told that my rear brake pads were just to the point of being worn out. When I inquired about replacement, I was told, "The brake pads and rotors are one unit and have to be replaced as a unit" When I asked when I should have unit replaced, I was told, "Just keep driving until you hear screeching, then you'll know it's time". In reviewing postings here I see no one stating they've had to replace brakes pads AND rotors as a unit. In fact there are many discussions regarding replacing pads with no mention of replacing rotors at the same time HELP!! :surprise:
  • arigatoarigato Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 850 Turbo SW that has a a metallic like clunking sound coming from the front right strut area. Out side of the car, when I press down on the front fender it sound more like a rubber squeaking noise. I tried tightening the top strut nut but it just turns with out getting any tighter. The only thing that works temporarily is when I spray the strut mount with WD-40 so that some of the fluid gets on the strut rod. The car has 120,000 miles on it and has never had the struts replaced. Do you think it is the strut, the strut mount or something else. Thanks in advance.

-Mike
    probably the strut mount.

if you pop your hood and then push down on the car, you should be able to see if the mount is giving way or not.

Ok. Thanks. One more question. When removing the nut from the top of the strut do you have to counter the strut rod with the threads on it from turning or should you be able to just unscrew the nut like a normal nut.
    i'll do ya one better. here is a full set of instructions.

http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/

by the way, what you and i called strut mounts in the last couple of posts, they refer to as spring seats.

Thank you! I concur with the spring seats comment. I ordered 2 yesterday for $18 from shox.com
    no problem. good luck with the repair.

• 02hockey02hockey Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at replacing my 1991 passat that my wife went deer hunting with. I have checked reports on the Passat and have read horor stories on repair bills when timing belts break. Are there any models that do not have huge bills when the belt breaks. On my 1991 I broke 2 belts and nothing happened, was I lucky or did this problem just arise in newer models. I live in Manitoba Canada where it gets quite cold. I have read some forums that volvos have problems in cold weather. Also I drive about 45,000 km per year. Most of my driving was all highway as I drive 40 mile to work every day. Are there S40 models that have manual trans?? I am not favoring one car company over another, I just want some honest opinions. What is the best car out there for my needs. I am looking at something in the 2000 to 2001 model year. I read that Volvo has been taken over by Ford. If they make a product like the 1981 Mercury Lynx than we are all going to be happy. I had 475,000 km on it and never touched the clutch or adjusted the carb. The head cracked and I had to park it at the farm where it still sits. I look forward to hearing from experience owners in this matter, I need to find something in the next month.
  • familyguy3familyguy3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We have an S80 2.5T we recenlty purchased used, and it is our first Volvo. Very nice it is too.

Has anyone had a problem with a remote key control not resetting the seating position when you unlock the car? My wife and I are the only drivers, she uses her key and I use mine. The car responds to her key and sets her seat position when she unlocks the car, but my key does not. Has anyone had this issue? The dealer told me there is a routine to programming the car, but I've tried it and it made no difference. Wondered if you folks had a solution?
    you'd be better served asking your VW questions on a VW board.

I never heard of volvos having a problem in cold weather. I was under the impression they are specifically designed for the cold mountain weather of Sweden.(??)

The new S40 has a manual trans option, both with the base engine and the higher-performance T5 model. I don't believe the previous generation S40 had a manual option.

• engine_co_25engine_co_25 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 760 turbo 4 cylinder, and the 2nd cylinder from the front is not firing. my dad and i changed the plugs and wires, and the distributor cap, and we are still having the same problem. we came to the conclusion that this cylinder isn't firing because the old one was fouled and the new one reeks of raw gasoline. the engine runs extremly rough, but the timing is correct according to the owners manual. any ideas???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    compression test!
  • 02hockey02hockey Member Posts: 3
    In the last week I have narrowed it done to one of these 2 choices. A 2002 s60 T5 with a 5 spd and 54,000 or a 2003 s60 with a AT trans with 47,000. Any case history of problems with these two models??
    not that I know of. Nothing to worry about, anyway.

I don't think that's a contest. GET THE T5!! ;)

• athiker1athiker1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a chance to purchase a used 1997 850, 220K miles, everything seems ok and works. Question is do these last much beyond that mileage ?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Yes, some do. And they are in Guinness Record's book.

Why do you want such an old (mileage wise)
    car? There was nothing special about 850, you can get much lower mileage 740 or 960, probably for less money.
    As an example, I bought very clean used 1990 740 just under 100K for $4000 in 2001. Pretty much the same age difference.

I think, 220K miles warrants a spot on "longest lasting" car list @ volvocars.com.
    How much $$?

Lev is right, of course. There is just no reason to buy one with those miles, unless we're talking $500 and everything works well as of this moment.

• vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I have a '93 850 with about 125k miles that I have owned since new. It has just started leaking oil in an odd place and I can't locate the source and am looking for assistance.

The oil (it is engine oil) is see on the cross bar just behind the radiator (between radiator and engine). I cannot find a source for the leak "higher up", nor is there any potential source nearby. It only leaks a very small amount of oil.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-Thanks
    check that its not blowing out the top of the dipstick. I would think you would see it elsewhere if this is the case, but you never know. The reason it would do this is a clogged flametrap/pcv (i'm not sure which is on your 850). The way I was shown to check this is to remove your oil filler cap and then run the car until it starts getting hot. If you see smoke coming from the oil cap opening, this means your flametrap/pcv is clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced. If you let this go, the pressure that is building up and pushing oil out your dipstick can blow out major engine seals.

GB:

Thanks, I will check
    I checkeb both oil and tranny dip sticks-no luck. I have to bring it in next month for state inspection ane will look further when it is on lift
  • davmesshdavmessh Member Posts: 3
    :D My wife has a Volvo 940, about 17 years old, and a warning light has appeared on the dashboard which looks like an upside down Y in a green triangle surrounded by orange. As there is no handbook I don't know what it is. Any-one help please? :sick:
    Man thats old. :)
    I think that is the Lamba Sond light.
    Means an issue w/ the o2 sensor.
  • davmesshdavmessh Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! :)
    So any ideas what needs fixing as my local mechanic was puzzled.
    Means an issue w/ the o2 sensor

in other words ... replace the o2 sensor.

This discussion has been closed.