Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• lukymelukyme Member Posts: 46
    That comment about Nissan customers wasn't very nice, "generally speaking". Yes your correct that the high end dealerships can be a bit more accomodating to the customer, but after personally purchasing a Lexus LS, BMW 3 Series, and Mercedes C Class, I don't too much care about the little perks at the dealerships. Sure it is nice to get a loaner car, free doughnuts, ect., but if you have a trouble free vehicle, you won't hang out much at the dealerships. My Mercedes dealer has free car washes and breakfast for all customers on Saturday mornings. I have not been there yet for this perk. I've got better things to do on Saturdays.
    As for the G35 Coupe, the dealer I visited had nothing but loaded up leather cars coming in, and all at 35K+. I suppose you could order a stripped down version and wait 3-4 months. I agree the Infinity is a good value also, but the cars will appeal to completely different buyers. Personally, I feel the G35 does not seem to convey "sports car" to me. I had a hard time getting over the interior layout, and after all, when I'm driving, thats what I'll see. Again, it is a great car, but so is the Z, and I'm no dummy for buying a Nissan 350Z.
  • porsche4meporsche4me Member Posts: 13
    You are a complete oddity, my friend! First you want a slush box in your Z but later you cite the fact that your Infinity dealer "had nothing but loaded up leather cars coming in" as a possible reason for not wanting the G35. On one hand you seem to prefer some coddling but on the other hand, you don't. Did I miss something here or am I trying too hard to understand this?!
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    for many people will be the lack of snob zoning. That's if it drives pretty well. If not, all you'll have shopping the car will be kids with Eclipse or 3500GT trade-ins. I'm still very curious about both cars and how they'll do in real situations, especially away from the boulevard.

TAke care.
    Joe
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    does the fact that you do not want leather automatically mean you do not want an automatic either? What if the only thing you know how to drive is an auto?

What if you will be in stop and go traffic every day, but want to get a base model of the car?

What if you just plain dislike leather, as I do?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... Bad news, it won't fit 2 Cart bags, well I just got this Z, now it's time to dump it ..l.o.l...

Terry.
    What I was trying to convey is the over all perception of the 2 cars. The Z is a bit more unique and sporty, where the G35 Coupe seems to be more plush, and, well...a coupe. The fact that I opted for an automatic is simply a preference. I don't mind driving the manual, but it sure occupies allot of effort when in traffic. I'm not going to be racing anyone, so the slight performance difference will not be important. And like "Nippononly" mentioned, I too dislike leather, most notably the leather used in the Infinity. I also don't need the VDC, 18" tires, Brembo brakes, ect. as I will not be driving to extremes either, so why pay for those things. Money is not the issue, I just don't want to pay for things I don't need or want. So, if that makes me a "complete oddity", then so be it.
    Oh, and by the way....If anyone wants a white Z, Touring package, I know where one is sitting on the lot waiting for a new owner. Southern KY area.
  • gidyupgidyup Member Posts: 11
    Just wondering if you guys are getting allot of brake dust on the wheels with Track model Z's and Brembo's?

Steve
    Can a current owner answer this question?
    Does the Zenon headlamps in the 350Z utilize the Zenon lamps for both the low and high beams. I noticed that the Infinity G35 Sedan (and presumably the coupe) only have Zenon low beams. The high beams are halogen, in conjunction with the Zenon low beam.
    I test drove the Z during the day, and did not notice. However, it was obvious that the G35 was Zenon in low only, and the salesman confirmed this. My Z will be here in a couple weeks, and I was just wondering.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    As far as I know, all Nissans only have Xenons in the low beam and not the high beam. Same goes for my 02 Maxima SE. If your Z is any different, I'd be surprised to know.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think there are ANY makes of car out there that come with Xenons in the high beam. Does that sound right?

Obi
  • vincexvincex Member Posts: 6
    experience is hilarious and true:

"Sure it is nice to get a loaner car, free doughnuts, ect., but if you have a trouble free vehicle, you won't hang out much at the dealerships."

I'm always at the dealership, and although mine treats me nice, I don't like having to take time off of work to do go there. If you bought a Nissan/Infiniti, I doubt this will be a problem.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    BMW has "bi-zenon" lights for the 3 series, perhaps others.
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    Of the local Nissan dealership. Been there for almost a week. I don't think they're all pre-orders.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    "You know, I'd really like to buy a 350Z, but it's kinda hard when you only ship one per dealer per month. The only people benefiting are the dealers who get to mark them up because of low supply. NNA isn't making any money by selling so few. Consumers sure aren't getting any benefit. How exactly is this helping the Z become the sports car for the masses?

"I'd really like to hear an honest response on this."
  • gregfockergregfocker Member Posts: 39
    My recommendation is to be patient. Production for the 350Z is expected to be over 30K each year. Supplies are low right now due to the initial demand plus I do not believe they are fully ramped up on their production. Things should ease up a bit so, if possible, wait 6-12 months and you should be able to get discounts off of MSRP.

This happens every time a hot new car comes out. With limited production cars (ie. Honda S2000) the MSRP+ model can hold for many years. The 350Z will not be a limited production vehicle so supply/demand ratio should soften in the near future.

Besides, the longer you can wait the more quirks will have been worked out of the initial vehicles manufactured...
  • snaphooksnaphook Member Posts: 130
    Exactly, you are not required to submit to the dealers demand. This car will be just as good/great a year from now, unless you are currently on death's door you can afford to wait.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I visited three dealers here in Indy during the pre-production ordering period and all were asking "only" MSRP. I doubt if I would pay that. I agree that waiting will only soften the price. Too many good domestics at invoice less rebate!
    We're looking at performance and style. NNA is also thinking, I imagine, about long term issues, like their excellent reputation for reliability -- very important to a buyer like me who would buy to keep for quite awhile. I've had my Miata for over 10 yrs. -- and by taking production slow and only adding assembly lines as the bugs in design and assembly are ironed out, they're investing in a long term growth for the model while keeping interest high.

THe Murano (review on Edmunds) looks like it's pretty much the last piece of the puzzle for Nissan.

Very much different from GM which has been burned so often on over production that it then has to be sold at near zero profit or recalled at a loss. Of course with their stupid labor agreement they lose even if they don't make a car at all ... gee, I wonder who is the actual loser ... could it be the consumer and taxpayer?

Sorry for going off thread.

Joe W.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I doubt Nissan dealers will ever have to deeply discount the Z to move them off the lots when supply catches up with demand. At some point in the next few months MSRP for a Z will be easy then maybe a grand or so off MSRP if they have a few on the lot.

Amazing what a little style will do to the corporate bottom line - Nissan profits are up 80% - Altima and now the Z - All Nissan has to do now is replace the current ooogly Maxima with something that resembles styling and the metamorphasis will be complete.

I'm looking forward to taking the various Z models out for a test spin when the hype dies down - give it a couple months.
  • greddygtrgreddygtr Member Posts: 54
    This is a little off topic but I think the interior of the Murano looks pretty intesting. That floating console is a unique touch and real aluminum trim comes as a nice surprise for the normally drab Nissan interiors. How about replacing that cheap-looking "titanium" plastic trim in the G35 with real aluminum like in the Murano and upgrading the 350Z interior while they're at it.
    There are still 4 Z's sitting on the lot up the street. They haven't been there for 4 months....maybe 2-3 weeks.

MSRP around here.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Edmunds has named the 350Z "Most Significant Vehicle of the Year." Read the article here:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2003/77151/article.html
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Watch those Maxima comments! I think that the Maxima is a sharp looking car (the tail could be better). Compared to the Camry (boring!) and the Accord(dull!), the Maxima is sportier than all other 4 door cars in the 20K price range. Remember, it was designed in the mid 90's...and I am sure the next one will be better.

Back to the Z...saw a white 350Z at a dealership in Hamilton, NJ. White is a color that I would not buy...doesn't allow the lines of the car to show clearly. This was the first time that I saw the car up close. I think Nissan did an amazing job. The lines are amazing, the stance is low and wide. It's about time that a manufacturer made a car like this with the price/performance/quality combination. Now if the demand would slow down and the price would be a little below or at MSRP...I would consider one. Would be nice if there was a little more rear storage...but you can't get everything in life...
    I beg to disagree. Of course all of this is subjective, but imo white allows the lines of the car to come out without an "attitude," an attribute the car just doesn't need because it's the 'real thing.' I keep imagining it lined up against the beauty sports cars of years ago ... the Cobras, the original Stingrays, XKE, 911 and so on. It has the same sort of stance and I wonder how it would look with the Cobra's broad stripes.

But, first things first, I have to find out if it runs like the marketers say. I've looked through the records for the end-of-season SCCA Solo II runs and haven't found anyone trying to autoX one yet. But you can be sure that next spring they'll be on the courses and we'll find out what the Z really has to offer.

I'm curious, eblum, what color do you think it belongs in?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I wonder if we'll see any G35 coupes hitting the Solo II circuits at the same time... we might get to see some great internacine warfare.

"My Nissan is better than your Nissan!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Is NOT!!!!"

"IS TOO!!!!!1111"
    phbbblllllltttt.

Actually, I'm sure they will both be there. But they'll be in different classes so the comparison of times will have to occur separately. And even then, because of differences in track layouts and drivers, a race or two won't be conclusive. That will come with consistency and should be a lot of fun! Pretty sure they won't be in Street Prepared for awhile -- there aren't any tires for them yet, I think! (Oh god, not tires again.) lol.

JW
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Nissan displayed some NISMO versions of the 350Z at the SEMA show.....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021104/lam138_1.html

• SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    Were those 4 nissan's still sitting up the street today?
    "near telepathic handling", yeah, right. The rags that actual know how to test drive sports cars were actually a little disappointed in the level of understeer. This is a heavy car. The understeer/oversteer equation is very purposely dialed in on every vehicle sold. The heavier the car, the more the engineers are afraid to turn the public loose with neutral handling....they are deathly (literally) afraid of being sued if a vehicle oversteers off the road. Neutral handling is a beautiful thing. The most balanced car I ever owned was a Toyota Corolla GTS. This was the rear drive version with the motorcycle engine of the MR2 (7500 rpm redline). You could pitch it in and absolutely count on four wheel drift in all traction conditions. Very reassuring.
    Just an observation from someone who spoke to several dealers. (and I bought a Z !) About a month ago, I called about 12 dealers within 150 mile range to see if they had any unsold Enthusiast's coming in. Mostly just Touring and Tracks out there. About 3/4's of the dealers were offering them at MSRP. I found a Enthusiast in a preferred color and put a deposit on it. I am now getting calls from those dealers I spoke to with more cars coming in and available. Yesterday, a local dealer had 2 Le Mans Sunsets and a Brickyard on their lot (maybe sold ??) Anyway, I think the supply is definitely loosening up. Several dealers had cars from cancelled orders too. By the way, the Infinity dealer is advertising the G35 Coupes, and has a couple setting in their inventory also.
    2 of them are stil there as of today as far as I can tell....they keep moving them around. One in the show room though. Every time I think they sell one or something it is back in front the next day.

I thought they would be in and out but that one in the showroom has been there for a few weeks.
    Well, really, what would you expect. There'll be a big run on them in this part of the country starting in February as people start to want sun. But releasing a sports car in the Fall isn't really going to entice even the small sports car market .... except in California, etc. And even alot of those very passionate droolers are people who need a minivan, or the money, for something else. Don't forget that 'consumer confidence' is still going down.

indyflower, I couldn't agree with you more re: your love of neutral steering and the understeer that's dialed in at the mfgr. If you contact people (next spring) who drive the car in track events they'll be busy setting up the car so it drives pretty much the way it can be hoped for. It's my own guess that designers like cars too and that many of them are drivers (off-street) so leave some room in cars like the Z to "correct" the tuning .... and still avoid liability by saying it voids the warranty. :)

Say, that Nismo is pretty nice. Don't care much for the body add-ons as it starts to look like you actually prefer a Civic for style. The wheels will be desirable -- I wonder how the weight and strength compare to those on the Track.

JW.
    5 of them now sitting outside and 1 more in the showroom. Been there for a few weeks.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Check it out:

http://www.sltrib.com/11122002/utah/15892.htm

"The Highway Patrol resumed the pursuit and reached speeds of 130 mph, with the Nissan still pulling away, Haywood said." Hmmm... sounds like it has pretty good top end speed to me! Too bad the only people likely to experience that are car thieves.

-Jason

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Oh my god that's hilarious. That they lost him twice is quite a testament to those crack cops in Utah. ROFL

Genius would have been better off finding someplace to ditch the car after he lost them the first time.
    His local Nissan dealer and parked among the several Z's that are on the lot. Did I mentioned the Z's just sitting on the lot.......
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the latest autonews, there is supposed to be a spike in dealer inventory - it could be that the expected new car sales slowdown of last year has finally hit now, in which cases boutique cars like the Z will probably be the first to see the hit.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    It was the Enthusiast model and unfortunately had the automatic transmission. I was honest and told the salesman on the phone I wouldn't even consider buying the car because I wanted a manual. I went to the dealer anyways because I had not seen the car in person and was curious.

Visually, the car was everthing I was hoping it would be. This is a great looking car, especially in silver. Even the 17" wheels looked very sharp. I was originally interested in the Performance model to get the 18" wheels, but after seeing the Enthusiast I don't think I could justify the extra $3K for the Performance model. So far, so good.

I must confess, I was disappointed when I sat in the car. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the comfortable seats, but for me, they were anything but. I'm 6'2" and a trim 198 lbs. Head room was good, but I credit that to basically sitting on the floor. Leg room was a problem. I definitely felt the seat should go further back. IMHO, this is unforgivable on Nissan's part. There's no having to make room for a rear seat and its passengers in this car, so why didn't they give the driver more space, especially considering that plastic molding and speakers are behind the driver?? The seat hurt my lower back after just 15 or 20 minutes.

I've read reports about the Z's lack of rear visibility, and let me tell you, they're not exaggerations. Surprisingly, the narrow view out the back through the rear-view mirror didn't bother me much. Head-checking to the right before a lane-change to the right is fine. But if you head-check to the left before lane-changing to the left, well, ever heard of the "Hail-Mary merge?" You can't see squat and will have to learn to trust your mirrors. I can only imagine what it must be like merging onto freeways from on-ramps in this car.

I felt the interior to be awfully constricting. The uncomfortable seat too far forward, sensation of sitting on the floor, high belt-line and lack or rear visiblility conspire against the driving experience. I don't think the interior was up to snuff, especially when compared against my VW or your typical Toyota. The door panels were especially cheap looking. They're monochromatic and the door handles, located in an awkward place toward the front of the door, did not have a solid feel. The speaker in the door protrudes in such a way that its protective molding is right in the way of your feet getting in and out. Others had this problem, I noticed, from all the scuff marks over the speaker's molding from people's shoes. The marks were painfully visible, due to the panels being jet-black. I also thought the windows' action of opening and closing an inch when opening and closing doors was an unnecessary complication.

Surprisingly, the salesman let me drive the car. Maybe he thought after driving it, I would be so thrilled that I would buy it, automatic and all. Even with the automatic, this car was very quick. I can only imagine how much better it would be with the manual. I thought the interior was too noisy. I understand that a certain amount of engine growl is appropriate in a sports car, but the engine sounded rather rough and mechanical. I can't say the sound excited me that much. But the biggest annoyance was the amount or road/tire noise that makes its way into the cabin. I thought the car's rather porky weight included things like noise-suppression materials. I guess I was wrong.

As expected, the suspension was firm. This is good or bad, depending on what the roads are like where you live. If you drive over a lot of broken pavement, my sympathies go out to you. That's just how sports cars are, though, and this isn't unique to the Z. The salesman allowed me to push the car pretty fast, 120mph (!!) and this thing was rock-solid. Going 100 feels like going 60, I kid you not. I still think the ride would have been much more enjoyable if it wasn't for all the racket inside, even going only 70. The excessive road and engine noise doesn't inspire a sense the car is heavy and solidly made. And the interior only reinforces this feeling.

I don't mean to bash the Z. I have been drooling over this car everyday for the last 8 months, reading and researching and studying all the photographs. I so much wanted to like this car. Sometimes, I wish I hadn't driven the auto-quipped Z because my first impression has been "tainted." But the faults I found with the car have nothing to do with the transmission option. I was expecting to be blown away by this car and like everything about it - but my Passat seemed like heaven after driving the Z. With some tweaking, I think the car could be great, but as it is now, it needs some serious improvement in the interior quality/ergonomics/visibility areas.

Guess it's time to find another car to start dreaming about and getting my hopes up...
    Sorry to hear about your damaged dream. Have you thought about the G35c? Maybe it will do the trick for you.

Like you, I'm 6'2, but a svelte 194, and I actually find the interior spacious -- I'm used to driving a Miata in the summer. I suspect the tightness you notice in the Z is a function of the car's design, as y ou explain, and the fact you're used to a sedan.

And yes, the Germans (especially VW/Audi) have gotten away from their roots with lots of interior "soft touch" materials and luxurious touches. I'm one of those who's glad that Nissan is preferring the spartan, functional approach with these sport models.

Good luck in your search.
    JW
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    I'm sure the Z probably is spacious when compared to a Miata. But being that we're the same height, do you find yourself wishing that seat would go further back also?

I enjoy spartan interiors as well. In fact, the older German cars with their stark "Germanic" no-nonsense interiors always appealed to me. While these interiors were nothing to get ga-ga over, they had an air of solidity, quality and down-to-business sense to them. In comparison, I found the Z's to be cheap and gimmicky.

But I haven't totally given up on the Z (I still desperately want to like it!). When the opportunity presents itself, I want to drive a manual and see if the experience goes better. Like I said, I wanted to drive this car and be blown away and feel great about the purchase.

I'm not too fond of the G35. Its profile looks nice, but the nose and back-end are hideous (incidentally, I think the Z's posterior end is great!). And I have no need for a rear seat. I want a 2 seat coupe!
    That sounded like the most complete review yet. I am kinda shocked that they overlooked the seat thing from what you said. There doesn't seem to be a reason to not allow the seat to go further back. Some of those other items sound like oversights on Nissan's part.

My fiance's take on the styling after seeing the Z's lined up at the local dealer...."looks like a Celica got in a fight with a TT and lost". To each his or her own. Although I kinda agree.

It is me or does the back end sit real low like there is something heavy in the trunk? It looks like the rear suspension is compressed.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    equals reality minus expectations.

Credit to Click & Clack, and apologies to those who have had to endure this from me (many times) before.

I had this same issue with the car I own now, and I'm told by most that the secret is that lowering of expectations bit.

Happy hunting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • porsche4meporsche4me Member Posts: 13
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations"..ROTFL! I most definitely have to use that one to level set any future client's expectations!
    No, the distance of the seat was fine for me. The cars I've sat in have each had the power seat, and perhaps it slides back further. In fact (I assume y ou're talking about leg space) I often have to slide the seat all the way back but with the Z (two different cars) I had to pull it forward just a bit so that my l eft foot could comfortably reach the floor (for when I get to drive the manual).

Maybe my legs are short.
    As I recall, did you drive the Enthusiast model? That lacks a power seat, and maybe they're different.

On the G35 board some are complaining of a "cheap" feel to the car's interior, too. A couple of observations -- I've never heard it brought up on freshalloy (or don't recall it anyway). I've owned some vehicles with luxury interiors, even an XJ for a short period years ago, and I've never felt the Z or the G35s or c were anything but solid and functional. I even went back to look (last weekend) and I guess I just plain disagree ... though please don't think I'm looking for an argument on the issue. Since so many have commented on it on Edwards, maybe I'm looking at something different.

But I'm confident in my position, because I took my wife in to look at the Z, and believe me she likes lots and lots of really nice things (what the well-to do call taste and what I call expensive), and after she sat in it she was surprised that the car wasn't "in the 70s or 80s"!!! Not an opinion widely experienced with exceptional vehicles, but promising for me as I can play up my eventual purchase as a "bargain."

Always thinkin' ;-)
    JW
    I guess there's no hope for me at 6'-4" 270. I spent a lot of miles behind the wheel of a 260Z and absolutely loved that car. It was reknown as the car having the most legroom of anything on the market. I distinctly remember comparing that car (inexpensive Japanese) to Cadillac (high-end domestic) for legroom and there was no comparison. The question we were asking then was, how can the Japanese engineer a car with more legroom than the largest, most luxurious domestics? Guess they forgot about that.

The more time the magazines spend in the car the less they are liking it. The current comparo in C&D (against a very weak field) exposes more warts. Do you really activate the seat heaters with your elbow while shifting? That's just plain embarrassing and evidence this car was rushed to market without adequate review by the American market. They missed the mark on weight, they missed the mark on handling (heavy understeer) and it sounds like the interior is strike three.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    It is worthwhile to point out that C/D still rated the 350Z #1 in the group (vs. Mustang Mach 1, Honda S2000, and Audi TT Quattro), warts and all.
  • snaphooksnaphook Member Posts: 130
    All I can conclude from that is that there are no sportscars available today in the 30-35k range that meet the lofty standards of Edmund's TH posters.
  • sabre86sabre86 Member Posts: 12
    Traded a Navigator in for one yesterday. Totally awesome. A lot of head turning and long looks. Didn't know whether it was for the car or how a 6'4", full figured guy could fit in there (had room to spare). What a blast to drive it home from Illinois, cause the clowns in northern Indiana sure don't want to sell them. Touring, auto, black w/black, everything but nav. Now that it's home, the wife takes over, for her 4 mile drive to work everyday. Would have liked an upgraded Bose with satellite radio button, but not out yet. Also would have liked autolamp feature. No other complaints. Take the plunge.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Magazine test reports are annoying - I take what those hacks think of a car with a grain of salt. I do my own testing and go to a dealer with a totally open mind - I'm looking forward to my first Z test drive.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Houdini...

(1) really liked that expression...

(2) after sitting in a base #50Z in Redding, I concur BIG TIME

(3) should the economy continue to decline, the base Z is becoming more and more a "contenda"..ez
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    who has purchased a Z and it's their only car?
    Curious....