Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and sorry to hear about your tire problem. So far, I haven't come across any similar reports in this discussion. Feel free to also post your question on our Maintenance & Repair Message Board. If you can't find an appropriate discussion there, feel free to start up a new "350Z Problems & Solutions" discussion if you'd like. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • handfixerstevehandfixersteve Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody recently purchased a Nissan 350z for at good price in Southern California. If so, what model with options and what price. Best price that I found was $800 below MSRP.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I was just using the configurator at the Nissan site. I clicked on "Accessories" and found a listing for 'leather.' Does anyone know what this is about? I'm extra puzzled because I haven't heard of it before.

Sounds like a stupid question, but why is leather on the Touring model if you can get it on all of the others?

But if that's so, can a buyer get leather on the Track model, or the Performance, etc.?

What are the choices? The cost?

And if this is all a matter of not understanding, what does 'leather' refer to?

JW
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    You can only get leather on the touring model from the factory.
    However most decent size dealers can get installed for about 1100 to 1400 depending if you want single tone or 2tone leather.
  • perakisperakis Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a NISMO turbo or supercharger added to their z350? if so who did the work? also is the engine still covered under warranty? thanks!
    Nismo has released the suspension package, though, along with the body kit, and several other doo-dads .... Nissan is pricing them at obscene prices for the people who think they're driving a Porsche and are used to obscene prices.

The parts are divided into the "S" category -- body kit, etc. Second is the "R" category, including parts like the CAI. "S" is for street I guess, and "R" for race. Parts in the "S" group stay within warranty. Those in the "R" group are not ... you wouldn't want Nissan to cover a mod that makes a difference, would you?

Given that, I doubt the S/C would be covered, if in fact it ever comes out ... I haven't heard anyone thinking it would. Right now, Greddy and STillen are the only show in town.

JW
    Check out Edmunds' Road Test of the 2003 Nissan 350Z, and let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I like the idea of a car pulling smoothly at 900rpm! That would be nice to have.
    I think Karl Brauer and Brian Moody are getting old and reveal their "age" in their second opinnions. A fine primary review (though a little late, I guess) overall, but I don't think the Z is any firmer, harsher, harder .... whatever ... than the Boxster, or Corvette, or Honda S2k, or any of the other sports cars it competes against. Sure the G-coupe is a little easier, but it's supposed to be and you would expect it. I don't count that as an insight.

Just a suggestion: if the review is going to be so many months after the introduction, and after 25000 have been sold, wouldn't it make sense to summarize and comment on some of the consumer issues that have arisen -- for example, with the transmission grinding and receiving warranty replacements? or the tire feathering and bounce that many people have complained about and are receiving new tires? And whether they are issues that are so prolific that the average buyer needs to be concerned about them.

Obviously Edmund's hasn't run into such issues with the road test or on the long-term test or we would be hearing about them. Which would mean going to a third party. Imo, a good idea.

After nearly 10 months of reading about this car, I'm still as excited about it as ever. I've now "test" driven it four times, once taking a friend's car for a ride in autoX competition. It's a terrific car to drive. It's on my short list: the Z, the G-coupe, and the STi. Once I've had a chance to drive the STi I'll be buying the '04 version of one of these and using it to replace a road sedan and a dedicated autoX vehicle. It will be expected to keep me in comfort for about 20000 miles/yr on the highway and go like snot in autoX for 15-20 weekends/yr.

The Edmund's review didn't tell me anything I didn't know, but John DiPietro is a good writer and he captured the flavor and driving experience of the car for me very well. Pass my compliments along, if you have access, Revka. And thanks for asking.

Z. J
  • zulaterzulater Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the final stages of negotiating on a white base 350Z. The dealer has about 6 Zs on the lot with the 2004's here in one month. IMO, this is the time to be dealing below MSRP. The base invoice is 25,262. I offered 26,262, not a penny more. The salesman is still "talking to his manager" who thinks the car will still go for sticker. I told him the car is already a year old and if we were dealing with sticker prices, then I might as well order a 2004 and get a newer car. Is the price going to go up for 2004? thoughts?
    Also...has anyone any thoughts on the rust proofing or any other dealer add ons...is the rustproofing worth a grand, my instincts say no.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I am not sure where you are located, but 350Z's are going for a lot less than MSRP in the Washington DC area and have been for at least a few months. I would say that your offer of $1,000 over invoice for a "leftover" 2003 is very fair. If they think they can sell a 2003 for close to sticker, God bless them.

Also, I do not believe there is any significant price increase for the 2004's. Unless you plan on driving the car forever and don't care about resale value, I would want at least an additional 5% discount on an outgoing model year. And I know for a fact that my Nissan dealership will be discounting 2004 350Z's by at leat $1,000-$1,500 as soon as they arrive. So something in the $2,500+ under MSRP would be my "target price" for a 2003.

350Z pricing is simply a atter of supply and demand - Nissan is producing twice as many 350Z's annually than Honda has made S2000's in total since they were introduced in late 1999. While the 350Z is the new kid on the block, there simply aren't enough blocks in need of a two seater coupe for Nissan to be able to maintain MSRP pricing. For comparison, I bought a 2002 Honda S2000 in November 2001 (right after the new and "improved" model came out) for roughly $1,000 under MSRP. And at that time, there were only about 5 new S2000's available in the entire Washington DC area. Today, I'd be willing to bet there are well over 100 350Z's sitting on the lots of the dozen+ dealerships in my area.

As for any "add-ons" like rustproofing, etc., they are all worthless. This isn't the 1970's when cars weren't rustproofed at the factory. Frankly, I would avoid a dealership that tries to add anything purely on principal. It shows lack of integrity. If they don't succeed with that "gotcha", they will surely try again down the road when you take the car in for service.

Good luck.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    The pricing of 350Z, like all cars, is a local thing. A good price in Southern California may not be a good price in DC. Spend a day or two visiting the local Nissan dealers and you'll know very soon what 350Zs are going for in your area. No reason to wait for anyone to talk to his manager unless that's the only Nissan dealership within 50 miles.

MSRP on a 2003 is silly. Unless the dealers are getting well over MSRP on 2004s (and I doubt they are) then MSRP on a 2003 makes no sense.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    ...except base cars are very difficult to get. Check those inventories, they are loaded with touring models, a sprinkling of tracks and a few odd-ball colored enth. models. As far as non-side bagged bases?..almost non-existant. White is the weak link, not the most popular color. Either way, it is a great ride for $27k. Good luck.
    Location is the key here. I'm in Hawaii with only 3 dealers on Oahu and all three are set on moving their Z's at MSRP. I will wait for the 2004 model and try to knock at least 200 off MSRP, if for no other reason, for my own satisfaction. Regardless, Its a lot of car for 27K. I was at the MINI dealer yesterday with friends that are placing an order on a Cooper S. I've driven both and I like the MINI, but the Z's power and lines are intoxicating. I'm sold.
    I will put an order on a 2004 tomorrow. The dealer has agreed to $500 below MSRP on a base 2004 350Z. This is a good deal for Hawaii. He said he doesn't know what the pricing is on the 2004s yet, but will put the offer in writing when I order my car. From what Edmunds says the pricing will remain the same (or within a hundred). How can Edmunds have pricing but the dealer not? I'll bring a printout from Edmunds..can his MSRP or invoice be different than what Edmunds has?
    I'm very confused. All the Edmund's reviewers on the long-term (Track) Z keep mentioning that the ride is firm or harsh or .... whatever.

John DiPietro and others tested the Touring model, found it rode fine. Now DiPietro last month tested the Track model and says it is firm or harsh or ... whatever and he would prefer the Touring because of that probably.

Here's my confusion: BETWEEN THE TRACK AND THE TOURING THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE SUSPENSION. There is only approx. 20# of weight difference. The brakes are different (Brembos on Track). THe wheels are different (Rays on the Track) but they are the same size (18").

No objective reason for there to be a noticeable difference. (Of course the trim is very different but leather doesn't effect the ride, imo.) So I wondered if my own failure to notice the difference waw a reflection of my own obtuseness .... I asked on MY350Z.com. The people who replied there also had read the Edmund's post and say they can't feel a difference in the ride either.

It could be several things.

It could be the editors at Edmunds are even older than me. (Doubtful)

It could be there is something wrong with one of the cars they tested. (Maybe)

It could be .... they need to fill us all in and be a bit more specific. (For sure.)

One person sent Edmund's (DiPietro?) an email. No answer. So I'm asking here.

What's up, Edmunds? Thankx. J
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Send John another e-mail and let me know here if you don't get a response--I'll check then, maybe he's not getting his mail or is on vacation or something.

Host
    Thanks for the reaction, Shifty. I sent a request, copying this discussion, and promised I would post his explanation if he replied. J
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist with a major daily newspaper is looking to talk with people who recently bought the Toyota Sienna, the Mini Cooper, the Nissan 350Z, and the Hummer H2, who found ways to circumvent waiting lists and who did not pay more than the sticker price. Please respond with your daytime contact information to Mamayn@aol.com as soon as possible, no later than Tuesday, August 5. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact Edmunds.com PR Director Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• emccartneyemccartney Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know for certain when the 2004 hatchbacks start arriving. I get very vague answers when I ask the dealer.
  • rayqiurayqiu Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Does anyone know the lowest price for 350Z roadster in SF bay area? Which dealer is the best per your experience?

Thanks.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    to come check out a new Roadster. The photos do not do it justice. I really was put off by some of the top up pictures I have seen, but in person, it looks fine. The top operates just like my '94, except it's all power. 20 seconds each way. Undo a single latch at the header, put your foot on the brake and press and hold a button to the left of the steering wheel. Pretty slick. The trunk is very small and shallow. No way I can get my hockey bag in there.

Pertinent info: Touring, automatic, chrome silver on charcoal leather, with 18's and mats. No Nav. Sticker was ~$39,700 (the 18's were a $1200 adder). No ADM.
  • csgmancsgman Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking about a 350Z and was wondering: cna you fit golf clubsin the back? Two sets maybe??

Thanks!
    John
  • jimmcleishjimmcleish Member Posts: 1
    I looked on MSN and noticed that the 2004 350Z starts at $25,830 and the 2003 starts at $26,370. Why would they lower the prices??? If thats the case, has anyone notice any deals on the 2003.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I recall one of the original road tests of the 350Z said golf clubs wouldn't fit because of the obtrusive carry through structure in the back.

You probably know this, but the G35 coupe seems to over 95% of the 350Z's performance with a lot more utility.

- Mark
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Nissan claims that you can fit a bag of clubs in side to side, if you remove the long clubs and run them front to back. The trunk on a G35 coupe is very small, so I don't think there is much difference between the two on this issue.
    I think the G35c has a folding rear seats, allowing items to go from the trunk into the rear seat area. I would think this should make golf clubs quite feasible.

This is going beyond the original question, but between the G35c and the 350Z, I think most buyers would be happier in the G. There is very little difference in performance or sportiness and the handling issues I have with the 350Z (mainly understeer and excess weight) are much more easily forgiven in a luxury coupe than in an all-out sports car.

- Mark
    Take your set with you to the dealerships. I did and got invited to play at two country clubs by the Porsche sales manager and BMW general manager respectively. Obviously, before I bought an S2000.

I also agree completely with markjenn. The 350Z has flaws as a sports car that are more than acceptable trade-offs in the G35 sports coupe. Not to mention that I think the G35 is a distinctively better looking car. I happened to park between a red 350Z and silver G35 coupe yesterday and, side by side, the G35 coupe just looks much classier from virtually all directions - front, back and sides. That was my opinion even before I noticed the 350Z was an automatic and the G35 coupe was a 6-speed.
    Take your set with you to the dealerships. I did and got invited to play at two country clubs by the Porsche sales manager and BMW general manager respectively. Obviously, before I bought an S2000.

I also agree completely with markjenn. The 350Z has flaws as a sports car that are more than acceptable trade-offs in the G35 sports coupe. Not to mention that I think the G35 is a distinctively better looking car. I happened to park between a red 350Z and silver G35 coupe yesterday and, side by side, the G35 coupe just looks much classier from virtually all directions - front, back, sides and, especially, interior. That was my opinion even before I noticed the 350Z was an automatic and the G35 coupe was a 6-speed.
  • tmcktmck Member Posts: 28
    You can get two sets of golf clubs in a 350 Z with ease. You also have room for shoes, hats, etc.

I was originally interested in the G35 sports coupe so I drove the 95 miles to the nearest dealer. They also had a 350 Z in the showroom. I looked in the Z and thought no way can I get clubs in here. I then looked in the G35 and it had a diagram on how to get clubs in. We went out to our car and brought our 2 sets of clubs inside the dealership and people gathered around to watch us try to fit the clubs in. It took a while but they fit. You had to take the oversized drivers out of the bag but they did fit. I then test drove the G35 and didn't particularly like it, at least not well enough to buy one where warranty repair entailed a 95 mile trip.
    Several months later while golfing at the TPC in Scottsdale, I saw a 350 Z pulling out of the parking lot and the driver had the window down so I yelled at him and asked if he could really get a set of clubs in the Z. He backed up, got out of the car and told me he can get two sets of clubs in. He also said he had owned one of the original Zs and liked this one even better. He was in his early 60s. About a month later our local dealership got a 350 Z 6 speed touring in stock so I drove it and didn't particularly like it, except it held the road well. About a month later and in another city I saw a 350 enthusiast with automatic and I really liked the ride and handling and my wife was not thrilled about me getting a stick. We have both driven 5 speeds for many years and really don't get a big thrill out of shifting particularly when we visit Seattle. and stop on hills. I didn't like the color of the car they had in stock well enough to buy it so I checked out an Audi TT. I really liked the new ones (even though they were stick) but didn't want to pay the high price plus I think Audi dealers are arrogant SOBs. I own an Audi sedan so I should know. I tried to deal over the phone for a used TT but the dealers are arrogant. So I made an email offer on a white touring z with automatic and they took my lowball offer. I flew down the next day and picked up the car, full of gas and drove the 300 miles back home. I went up and down several 2000 ft hills, the Payette river and the Salmon river canyons and had a wonder full experience with the high elevation being about 6000 ft and the low at 700 ft. My wife and I routinely go golfing at our course which is 35 miles and 2000 vertical feet from our home. It carries the clubs and it is every bit as easy or easier to load as the G35 coupe. We can get the Z serviced locally and I paid 3 or 4 K less than what I would have paid for the G35. I don't know if the Z is better looking but it sure is a head turner and I think it is something special. I suspect the ride in the automatic is a little less harsh than the 6 speed and that is why I liked it better. I have been pulled over once and given a very stern warning about speeding so I keep it under control. Your mileage may vary.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    I can also make a counter argument as well. While the cheap-interior bits is acceptable in a sports car as the 350Z, it should not be the case in a "luxo sport coupe" like the G35C. (Actually, some people view it as cheap, but I find the G35 interior to be ok).

The funny thing is, our Infiniti G35C is really after all the Nissan Skyline (in Japan). The Skyline has always been viewed as a sports car, in fact it has a much more storied history as a race car than the Z. We just dont get the Skyline over here. That was until now.

We package it here in the US under the Infiniti brand name, and all of a sudden the issues of "understeer" and "overweight" are acceptable for the G35C but not for the Z? It just puzzles me, aside from the distinct exterior sheet metal both these cars share the same mechanicals. I just view the G35C as a 350Z 2+2.
    Sorry to Hijack the thread on that last post ...
    so back to the discussion.

Anybody got a good deal on a 350Z in the Seattle area? Is getting below MSRP a possiblity?

Infiniti has already announced that the G35C will not have any price increase for the 2004s, except for certain options. However, I cant seem to find information anywhere with regards to 2004 pricing for the Nissan 350Z.

Thanks a bunch!
    when sharing your purchase experience here, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information.

You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Sorry about that Revka, I guess I got too excited about getting the car at a price I wanted, and actually having my first pleasant dealership experience ever that I went overboard :)

This Edmunds site is wonderful, the "dealer price quote" feature is what I used to get in contact with the dealership. I got a great price, and did not have to haggle. Kudos to Edmunds!

I had to order the car and I can expect delivery in November, as I was told there was currently only one 2004 LeMans Sunset in the entire northwest, and it had $700 worth of options that I did not want. Oh what a long 3 month wait!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Why the long wait? Won't your dealer do a "dealer to dealer" trade?

I know when I was looking at Zs, the dealers all said they would locate one exactly the color and equipped the way I wanted. They then showed me prinitouts for over 100 Zs in all colors and equipment levels that were from dealers within a 3 state area. Dealers said they trade regularly.

Reason I ask, the LeMans Sunset Touring with the burnt orange interior was what I was looking for and a couple of dealers found probably a dozen of them they could have had to me in a day.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Excellent color choice graphicguy, and to think that if the RX-8 had not come out this year we would both be driving the same car model and color :)

According to a couple of dealers I have spoken to, it seems that for 2004 there was only one LeMans in inventory in the northwest (WA, CA, OR etc). I found that kinda odd. And the one they did show had several options that I did not want to pay for.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I opted to wait by pre-ordering so that I could get the exact car I wanted. I would have gone for the base model, but since that did not have cruise control I went with the Enthusiast model.

By the way, graphicguy do you post at rx8forum.com under the same name?
    We look forward to hearing all about your delivery experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Thank you Revka! I am so excited, cant wait for November to arrive.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    yep...same graphicguy over at that other place.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dlipdlip Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I,m the first time in here, can anyone give me some advise to make a choice between Nissan 350Z and Mini CooperS? Tomorrow is the dead line
    thank you!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    As requested, a Nissan 350Z Owners Club is now available in the Town Hall. Stop by "Meet the Members", introduce yourself, and let me know how I can help build your club.

KarenS/Owners Clubs
  • drobin59drobin59 Member Posts: 26
    I just received my silver roadster and gave it my first waxing. When wiping off the wax, I noticed what appeared to be a bit of clear tape in the rear fender seam. So I rubbed it a bit and the paint begin to come off!

Anybody else have this experience? The paint doesn't appear to be very heavy duty. I'm glad I got x-pel on the front......

I didn't get the car from the local dealer....do you think they will do anything about it or do I just touch it up ....

Thanks,

David
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Take it back to the Nissan dealer, any Nissan dealer.

You can't have a new $40k car with paint that "rubs off".

There's a clear coat of paint over the colored paint, so what the heck did you rub with that took off the clear coat and the paint?

Somethings very wrong here.............
    Your warranty is from Nissan and covers defects no matter what dealer you see. Be aggressive with this one until you find out what's up. JW
  • sga826sga826 Member Posts: 7
    Still deciding between the Z and RX-8 but would like opinion on styles. I was leaning toward Enthusiast model but is it worth 2k more than base model.

Was planning on waiting till spring but if I could get the right deal on an 03, who knows? Hmmm.
    I ordered an Enthusiast model myself. It really depends if you think the following options are worth $2000 over the base:

Xenon headlamps, HomeLink Universal Transceiver, cruise control, Traction Control System (TCS), viscous limited-slip differential (LSD), aluminum pedals, day/night auto rearview mirror, dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors.

To me it was, so thats what I bought.

I ordered my 2004 for $1000 off MSRP. I would imagine you can get a better offer with the 2003s.

The RX-8 is a good choice too, it was one of the cars that I was considering, right up there with the Z.
    I'd go with the Z if you wanted a car with more "heft" and effotless torque; I'd go with the RX-8 if you wanted a more nimble car and didn't mind rowing the shifter to extract performance. The back seats in the 8 might be handy too.

For me, it would be the RX-8, but only because I think the most desirable thing in a sporty car is light weight. The 350Z reminds me of a Japanese Vette whereas the RX-8 has its roots with the Miata.

The enthusiast model looks like the 350Z bargain. A LOT of car for the money.

- Mark
  • sga826sga826 Member Posts: 7
    You should be a salesman. When you list the options on the Enthusiast it seems an even better bargain than when Mazda does.

Actually I had pretty much decided to go with that package in the Z. I take it you like yours?
    Thanks. I really researched the difference between the base and the Enthusiast model, after all $2000 is a huge chunk of change! :)

Mazda has a good bargain with the RX-8 though. By just adding the Sport package to the base model, you get DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). Plus, 18" wheels/tires are standard on the manual transmisssion. To get the same items on the Z, you would have to upgrade to the Performance model, which at MSRP is over $30k.

As far as liking my Enthusiast, I dont have it yet (I pre-ordered a 2004) :(. I got an e-mail from my dealer last week telling me I should get my VIN # in October. Expected delivery is in late November, possibly early December.
  • zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    I am looking to upgrade the basic speakers in the non-BOSE system. The speakers located behind the seats appear to lack mid-range. Anyone had some luck with some upgraded speakers?