Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• ladycobraladycobra Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 350z roadster for my husband for Christmas. He has no clue I have done this. Now I am getting cold feet. I'm afraid he is going to kill me! I was wondering what most of you guys out there would think if your wife had done this without consulting you. Please give me your thoughts. I am really starting to panic.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Well, tell us a little about him, age, what he's driving now, how much does he drive in what kind of weather, for starters.

Then of course, what model did you get, with which options, and in what color combinations?

Seriously, if my wife did that, I'd be thrilled!
    He just turned 50. He has been talking about getting a sports car for awhile now. He said something about the Eclipse Spyder. I looked at it and thought it looked like a wanna-be sports car. He has owned a 240z in the past. He said he had always wanted a 300z so I thought a 350z would even be better.
    This car is just for fun. It would not be driven back and forth to work. We live in Georgia so the weather is really not a big issue.
    I got the Touring model, Chrome Silver, Charcoal Interior, splash guards. Did not get the gps system or the 18" wheels.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    What a wonderful Christmas gift! He's a lucky man to have a wife like you. You did great.

Come back after Christmas and tell us how it went!
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Well if wanted a sports car, and I could afford the 350z, and the only reason I hadn't already bought a sports was because I was a practical kind a guy (me practical... HAHAHA yeah right!) and a sports car is a superfluous kind of purchase... then HELL YEAH I would be super psyched!

That's like you saying, "here is something that neither of us need, and you would never buy for yourself, but it will make you really happy and that is worth it too me." Superfluous gifts are the best. This is very sweet (sniff)... I am feeling a little ferklempt... talk amongst yourselves...
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Marry me?
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Oh yeah and smart choice getting the Z over the Eclipse. The Eclipse is looking so outclassed these days it's a wonder Mitsubishi doesn't update it sooner.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    this past year I leased an new Altima, now my mom has the car and I'm back in the market again for a car. most of the time it is just me and maybe a friend. I've been thinking about getting a 2D car maybe the 350Z or the G35, (also considering the 4D AWD G35 and the Jag Xtype) I live in ohio and as you know we can get some bad winter days here. I'm in college and really don't do that much driving so I'll be going into a lease again (yeah I know college and not driving much is an oximoron, but I don't) anyways I was looking into the new convertable Z and couldn't help but wonder what the Z cars have been like in the snow.. I'll be getting the car @ the end of march or around then so the winter here will be dying out so I'll have a chance to get some snow tires as well... any comments
  • zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    Yes, Nissan has stated that the Roadster will be limited to the number of customers willing to pay for one. they are hoping that they will be limited to 100 to 200 thousand of them.
  • pisceanz350pisceanz350 Member Posts: 8
    LadyCobra,

I'll echo the sentiments of others here who responded to your inquiry. You done good for your hubby!!!

I'm personally not into ragtops, but I recently traded in my 2000 Eclipse GT as part of the deal for my new 2004 350Z Tourer.

No comparison between the two. I found the Eclipse was a pleasant vehicle, but Mitsubishi ruined it as a sports car back in 2000 when they totally redesigned it, and among other things, eliminated the turbo. Also with the softer suspension, the Eclipse became a wannabe sports car and a wanna be luxury vehicle...and fully accomplished neither. The styling is attractive, but it's beginning to become dated looking, and the huge turning circle is something you might expect in a large SUV and NOT in any type of sporty car.

PisceanZ
    with dedicated snow tires, is the 350Z ok in the snow or no.... thanx
    I feel better now. Maybe he won't kill me after all.

Muffin Man...the answer would be yes if I could afford two husbands :-)
    Nice choices on the 350Z roadster for a Christmas gift.

At 50, he's probably not looking for a full blown sports car, but something a little more refined, but that still has 95% of what a sports car is all about.

If he gives you any grief at all (he's an idiot if he does), remember you've got lots of potential suitors right here on Edmunds should the need arise:-)

I've heard that the weather in Georgia is really nice most of the year.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Your hubby sounds like a great guy, or so I'm thinking -- someone who wants a sports car but has been disciplined enough to be responsible -- And you sound like the sort of wife every man dreams about (really!) -- I can't imagine him being mad about it if he likes the Z and if you haven't had to sell a kid or two to finance the project. JW
    Anyone have any comments as to how these things handle in the snow with some snow tires on them. I'm getting rid of my 03 Altima (bought in december of 02 though) and it has only 7356 miles on it. I'm really considering the 350Z touring any thoughts please, I'll be getting into the haggleing part soon. thanx
    I'll take my electronically managed traction control and my Vehicle Dynamic Control so that they can HELP save my family and I over the next ten (potentially every day) years until your predicted disasters begin to occur.

I imagine that you could became a fine lawyer within the next ten years.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter!
    Where i went to school post 1494 was between post 1493 and 1495, but not in here.

Anyway, if I owned a 350Z and lived in the snow country, I would park it and get a 4X4 truck or SUV with snow tires. You don't really want to subject a nice sports car to the salts, rocks and crap you find while driving in the snow, now do you?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Numbers get messed up whenever a post is deleted, as was the case here recently.
  • pisceanz350pisceanz350 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with zzz350, cjs2002. If you live in a place that frequently snows and still want a Z, then consider getting yourself a cheapie used alternative vehicle, preferably with at least FWD.

Although the Z might do ok in the snow, you don't want to subject it to all the hazards and crap to be found in a snow/ice situation on the road. There's also a far greater chance of someone else hitting YOU. Besides, you're not going to be racing anywhere with your Z under the aforementioned conditions even if it got you to where you're going.

In my case, when the first flake falls, my Z scurries into the garage and doesn't come out again until the roads are sufficiently cleaned up after the snowfall. That could be from a few days to a week or more. But so be it.

PisceanZ
    Really, you got to be kidding. Are you trying to tell me there is censorship on this board, I am totally shocked!
    Call it "peace-keeping" and/or the privileges of owning private property :)

Besides, you don't wanna see half the stuff we have to delete...
    I would love to read the deleted stuff. I have been censored by other hosts over some of the lamest excuses possible. I think this board needs a little spice, vanilla only tastes good for a short while.
    All grounds for deletions are clearly specified in the Terms of Use, so no secrets there. It tells you exactly what to expect around here. You can read it over by clicking on the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html
    thankx all... its not often that we get terrible snows and when we do, well then no one round here drives anyways cause they don't get to our streets (they plow the main street, but last year the left a 4 foot mound of snow acrost the only road that connects our neighborhood to the main road, everyone was trapped cause we couldn 't drive through it,) any ways if need be I have a car for those days I really don't want to risk driving the Z, but I refuse to drive my other car for half the year cause of snow, round here they don't use salt any more, its a mixture of sand, and some type of chemicals added to a water mixture, result is no more salt crap on the road, plus it works at temps that salt can't. I'm still giving it thought as to what would be better, and yes I do agree with ya'll in that I don't want to be driving Z through some of the junk thats out on the roads these days (specially the salt, cuase it makes the car look like crap) thanks again
    I agree with cjs pretty much. I've had a couple of garage queens, have sold both, and buy only cars that I drive 12/24/7. I live in the snow belt and get junk all over the car, but no one has ever paid a premium for a car that hasn't seen "weather" except for low mileage ... and that is eaten up by the thousand dollar bill I have to spend each year on a beater. It's a losing proposition, unless you are buying a collectible car that has a chance to appreciate in value. The Z certainly doesn't fit that profile!

Put snows on it, drive it, enjoy it. If you want art in the garage, buy a statue, or move to SoCal! JW
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I'm with you..!

I live in New Hampshire an own a non-turbo 1990 300ZX with some performance mods. I've driven the car year round since 1997. Dec 1st comes you put 4 snow tires on and you drive it. You wait till they plow the snow and you drive it. I'm not even going to get into the fact that the new gen Z in many (not base model) cases might come with the latest electronic driving options...(ie. VSC...etc..)

It's funny, people spend $27-32K+ on their new baby, but won't spend the extra $$$ on 4 good snow tires.. Yes, they do cost..but hey no one forced you to buy a Z did they.

I'm so tired of people complaining "my OEM tires suck in the snow" no kidding...hello...!

I have 2 words for ya...."Tire Rack"

Happy Holiday's
    -mike-
    even if I do end up getting a different (mind you still RWD) I plan on putting a dedicated set of snow tires on it either way (plus I want a set of cool looking summer rims) anywho, thankyou for posting, I was hoping that at least one person used there Z in the winter, with enough sense to put some snow tires on it. I'm also looking at the G35 coupe and theres a person on that board that complains about the Gs terrible performance with his "SUMMER SPORT RATED TIRES" on in the snow, um... why not get some all season tires or snow tires, I know it has to help, it helps in my uncles 04 MB SLK, and thats the only thing he drives. :)
    A bit long to watch but interesting. I don't think the cars were fairly matched to begin with but it ended just about as I expected (I won't give it away). Also, the track was pretty tight so whoever was placed in front had a good advantage here.

Last comment---in "real" racing, weight is so important (lack thereof I mean).

Still very impressive driving!

Caution: This "film" is a bit long.
  • icanluv2icanluv2 Member Posts: 2
    I think the cars were placed according to their power. Boxster was placed in front of everyone because it was the weakest one. Somewhat fair,but what it did show was that the GTR kicks all butt!!
    power to weight, yes. That's "pretty" fair but is a static and not a dynamic measurement. When you hit a high speed corner, weight is weight.

Of course, these guys were being pretty polite as you can see. I don't think anyone wanted to bang these cars up.

I thought it was interesting that the 350Z had an aftermarket oil cooler added for protection. This gives no advantage in a short race, but I'm wondering with the obvious BMW's superior braking (driver could go into corners deeper) and reputation for endurance, if the M3 wouldn't have ground down the 350Z over 25 laps or so by pressing it hard in the corners--thereby negating the Z's considerable weight advantage on the straights (is it really 600+ lbs lighter?).

Anyone, that just struck me as a strategy for winning. I don't think the Boxster could win any which way, and the S2000 really didn't have the push.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Ouch.
    I doubt he'd ever get a " cute chick" into that subie (as opposed to the 350Z) :-)

Seriously, what's the point of comparing a dedicated sports car (the 350Z) with a station wagon, regardless of straightline performance?

I can't imagine many people will be cross shopping these two vehicles.

As far as your girlfriend goes, well yes, it's an impractical, two seat sports car that most people would buy for a combination of cornering and straightline performance, not for hauling stuff around.
    my GF and i went out looking at cars, I asked for her advice as to what I should do and what to get. (she owns a 02 BMW 5 series that she just bought used @ an encredible price, the likes of which I know I wont' find) but anyways we set off looking at all the different cars. first stop was the G35 sedan we both like it alot, though she seems to like the AWD version better but we both agree that with it just comming out that this would not be a great time to try and get a good deal on one. next up was the 350Z, she likes the looks of the car, but doesn't like the ride, says its too harsh. (bad thing is, she knows how to drive stick better than I, and thats what she kept complaining about) she thinks I should get a stick even though I told her I don't know how to drive one... anyways on with the story. we went back to infiniti and looked @ the G35 coupes, this time with a auto and a manual. we came to an agreement that we like the infiniti better than everything else; it was nice to have a the back seats in the coupe, even though we don't take anyone with us, its nice to have. she likes the manual better and is currently giving me a crash corse in driving a stick again so I can get a stick. I must say its a rare find to meet someone who is a chick and into cars, especially when it comes to drivin stick. so unfortunatly it doensn't look like i'm gonna get the Z roadster cause A winters, B driving comfort, and C well cause its her say oh well have fun and we'll update you with what happens
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    cjs, I know what you mean about chicks into cars. I have been thinking between a 350Z and Crossfire for sometime now. I like both cars, but my wife likes the 350Z better. Since she drives a Nissan Xterra I can see why. It is much harder to find the right 350Z without ordering it compare to the Crossfire which don't have any real options are just sitting on the lots out there. Since my 2001 Mustang GT will be coming off the least in Aug. I'll be looking for a car then. I am not sure if you can get a good deal on a 350Z unless it is a left over maybe compare to the Crossfire which I am sure will be going for less than they are now. Either way if I end up with a 350Z I'll be happy. Frans
    Two posts in a row with evidence of the state of evolution. You guys are very lucky ... just hang on. JW
  • dlmunrodlmunro Member Posts: 2
    I bought a red Touring Model 350Z in July 2003. On the first road trip that first week I ended up with more than a half dozen paint chips on the front and side of my car. I never went over the speed limit and never drove in anything other than normal road conditions. I immediately contacted my Nissan dealership and was repeatedly assured the problem would be handled. (I had read unflattering reports about the exterior paint on the 350Z prior to buying the car but was assured by the sales manager that such problems didn't exist.) More than seven months later, and dozens of paint chips, I have never received the least amount of satisfaction from the Nissan dealership (Crown of St. Pete, FL). My attorney is advising I proceed under the terms of the LEMON LAW. Please comment if you've had similar problems and how you got Nissan's attention. I will never buy another Nissan.
    on getting a new car for "paint chips"!

Have you tried any type of paint protection (like wax, maybe)?

What exactly did you expect your dealership to do for you? Re-paint the car?

Sounds like a serious case of "buyer's remorse" to me!
    Strange story. The only possible explanation I can come up with, and this is entirely speculative, is that the front of the car was damaged in shipping prior to sale and was repainted in a local body shop---thereby explaining the fragility of the paint.

Other than that, it's just the luck of the draw what happens to your car on the road. There are some rare times in Colorado, for instance, during high winds, when your windshield can be sand-blastd in 30 seconds and your entire car, in the space of a few hours, takes on a dull finish.

A few miles behind a dump truck with defective mud guards can easily rat-tat-tat your paint as well.

I'd say that a Lemon Law case is a Longggg stretch for you unless your attorney knows something we don't.
  • zwannabzwannab Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into getting a touring model this august and the dealer said he could slap on a Stillen supercharger w/ computer for only 5 grand. That's a pretty awesome deal, pushing out 355 hp, but I think the stock front upper tie bar and hood have to go. After researching superchargers for the Z online I found that vortech makes one that sits in the front of the engine compartment and pushes 412 hp. I love the styling of the Z and don't really want to change the hood so much. Does anyone know anything about vortech superchargers? Good or Bad?
  • spiderman32spiderman32 Member Posts: 13
    can anyone give me feedback on what would be the best price to pay for a '04 350Z Performance model. I am looking for one but don't know what price I should negotiate the dealer with. I am in the Bay Area. Thanks
    How interested are you in durability and resale, zwannab? Forced induction gives much more power but requires frequent skilled maintenance to keep the car running, it decreases the durability of an engine that wasn't designed for it, and it lowers the resale of the car since few people are interested in modifications for the reasons listed.

That said, it's your car. Actually the Pro-Charger seems to be the F/I package of choice right now, about $9000 installed. Yes, Vortech has a good reputation. A successful F/I install implies that you are a good mechanic and can do a lot of the maintenance on your own that doesn't require fancy diagnostic electronics, as well as being knowledgeable enough to cut out a lot of the time your uber mechanic will need for diagnostics; it also implies that you strengthen the engine internals so the engine won't have the hop-up tendency to blow up; and it also implies you plan to drive it until it fits in buckets or you simply don't care about resale. JW
    If you are expecting the Vortech to improve your 0-60 times, however, you will be sorely disappointed. That's not what this particular type of SC will do for you. It gives you HP at the shifting rpms, certainly nothing much down on the low end. You would need a "Rootes type" blower if you want better 0-60 times.
  • curtkerseycurtkersey Member Posts: 1
    The other day I saw a car in a parking lot that was labled as a "Nissal Skyline 350GT". It was a coupe. It looked just like the Infiniti G35 coupe in that it had a back seat. It also had the steering wheel on the "correct" side of the car to be in the US.

I have searched the web, and the only reference I can find is this:

http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_SKYLINE_COUPE/EN/pressrelease.- html

This makes it sound like the Skyline 350GT coupe and sedan will be available soon. Since the price is listed in Yen, I am not sure about the location (ie, in the US or not>). I have searched the web, and I cannot find any additional information about this.

Does anyone else know anything?

The press release makes it sound like the sedan will have the 280hp version of the engine, which is what intersts me.

Thanks.
    Several companies (try japanparts.com maybe) have been importing Skyline badges and some people are replacing their Nissan/Infiniti logos with the JDM badging. There supposedly were also a couple of Skylines brought in (gray market) or so I hear. Lots of discussion on the Skyline on some of the G35-specific boards on the web. JW
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    Can the 350Z coupe's trunk accomodate a full size suitcase, and if so, is there room for anything else, like a duffle bag?
  • landspeedlandspeed Member Posts: 6
    Im have trouble deciding on a 350z touring or track. After adding up all the options the track seem to be cheaper. Can someone explain the advantages of both and give your opinions.
         thanks
  • foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    If you're going to modify the car from stock, you'll be better off with the touring option. If you like to keep it in stock and would like to run a few weekend races a year, then the track would be perfectly suited for that purpose. The Brembo brake from the track model and the Ray's wheels are worth the extra that is charged for. If you need these equipments, for looks or usage in races, then the Track is the way to go. Else, the touring model is perfectly great car too.

Enjoy!
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    Are people not at all interested in the 350z anymore or what? This board is so dead I can't believe. For the seldom people that do visit and post, no one ever responds.

Oh well, I guess its time to find some other forum.
    There are a number of boards dedicated to the 350Z. Edmund's is more focused on buying rather than on owning though recently the "club" approach seems to be trying to make that transition. JW