Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Anybody hearing anything about any changes that might be made???....
    I don't know whether to buy a C5 Corvette(you can get 1 at practically invoice now) or a 350Z....With the 350Z, i'd be saving about 10,000...
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Would you really save $10k over a Vette? In Los Angeles, I've seen ads for $11,000 off MSRP!
    I can get a 04 Commemorative Edition Vette(MSRP) 50,000, FOR 42,200(maybe less + tax)...A 350Z touring with aerodynamics pack, mud guards, floor mats for 32,000 + tax.....What would you do??....It's going to be my second car.....
    If that's the best deal on a Vette you can get, then that's a lot of extra money. But I'm thinking you can get Corvettes for mid-30s right now. Apparently, dealerships are being allotted one C6 for every C5 they sell, so they are pushing them out the door.

I like the Corvette better, but I wouldn't push my budget for ten thousand extra dollars unless I could easily afford it. (and I definitely can't)
    I can get a C5 coupe in the mid 30's, but the commemorative edition is about 7,000 more...I'm not buying till April so I have time to think about it...Maybe by then I'll change my mind & keep my $$$$(I hope so, but I doubt it)......
    Can't hurt to sit on it, but I don't think the commemorative edition is worth the extra money. That fancy hood can't be worth 7 grand.
  • zgirl1zgirl1 Member Posts: 11
    Regarding your paint issues and taking it up with the lemon Law, you will have a hard time in arbitration unless you can prove that the "default" is a safety issue. (which obviously it isn't) You can however claim that the "default" de-values the vehicle however you are going to have a tough time proving that your paint chips are not normal wear and tear. I drive four hours a day on the same roads that you drive and I have many paint chips. There is definitely less lead in the Nissan's paint therefore adding to the problem but I don't necessarily think there is anything you can do about that other than not purchase a Nissan product. I don't think your paint is any different than all the other Z's. As far as Crown, in all fairness they have handled all my (corporate) issues with the utmost professional service and I didn't buy my vehicle there I bought it at Lokey. Talk to Shawn the service Manager. if there is anything he can do for you, he will, but I assume this is an issue you need to take up with the Corporate Nissan office as I had to do.

Good luck
    The commemorative edition is a solid blue(nothing fancy on the hood)I know what you're talking about though.....It's got the 1SB package plus polished wheels, dual roof pieces......
    Does anyone know what the running changes were besides tinkering with the suspension...There were supposed to be interior upgrades, does anyone know what they were???....
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    See post #1477. They have added knee bolsters and changed the door over the dash opening (Nav unit location).

After seeing a roadster at the auto show with a sticker price >$39,000, the interior really stands out as a serious weak point on this car. Almost $40K for that? I don't think so. Nissan either needs to hire the interior design staff from Mazda or contract it out.
  • yorbayorba Member Posts: 4
    I posted this in another section but I will post my question here as well. Can the 350 carry 2 golf bags and two small suitcases like for a weekend getaway?
  • hustlerhustler Member Posts: 1
    Today (2/16/04) after three months of debating I finally ordered my Silvertone 04 350Z Track w/ Nav. and side air bags. I believe I got a great deal. I was told by the dealer @ Lynnes Nissan in Bloomfield NJ that what I wanted was no where to be found within the NYC & NJ area. I told them that was fine and that I wanted it built, they said ok see you in 10 to 12 weeks. Actually, I wanted it built so that some of the problems would hopefully be fixed.

Can anyone tell me if I'm just going to be disappointed. Has Nissan rectifyed some of the problems they were having in 03 with toe & tire wear problems, and interior noises with the 04. Any information on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
  • drptopzdrptopz Member Posts: 1
    DEPENDS IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE CONVERTIBLE, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET TWO SMALL BAGS AND TWO GOLF CLUB SETS IN THE COUPE BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD FIT IT INTO THE ROADSTER. HOPE I HELPED A LITTLE.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking to interview consumers who have recently bought preowned sports cars. Why did you buy "used" and which car did they choose? Why that car? Did you realize a tremendous cost savings? Did you go for certified used? Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kslim1kslim1 Member Posts: 3
    Hell no you wont be disapointed! I just bought a 2004 350z silverstone and get head turns all day long. People think it's a Porche Carrera or something. They obviously arent car experts oe anything but I could see how they could confuse them. I personaly think it's the roughest looking, hottest car on the market hands down.Fricken awesome baby, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wendykwendyk Member Posts: 1
    Husband bought me a little surprise for our 26th wedding anniversary....what an awesome car! Winter was a little tricky but spring has come to the midwest and we've dropped the top already a few times. We have a Maxima for the snowy-icy days. My question and I'm not getting much help (naturally) from the dealer...start your car, make sure the radio is off...what is that hissing sound that starts after about 2-3 seconds? We tried 2 other Z's at the dealer and they both made that sound and we couldn't shut it off. Personally, since the Bose audio system just does not sound right to me, I think the sound is coming from there...maybe speaker/amplifier not hooked up exactly right. Sound seems like something is missing...has no true depth of sound, like mid-range tones are gone???? I did find that there was a service bulletin for the 2003 Z's manufactured prior to 9/27/2002 stating that IF the customer requested it, they would replace, in conjunction/cooperation with Bose, the amplifier. I'm no great music expert but I can tell the difference between a Bose and a little $40. 5 year-old Sony Walkman, and the walkman is sounding better to me right now. Anyone else have any similar complaints???
    But what do you really think about the Z?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    kslim1 is new here and he may not fully understand the posting process yet. I sent him a note and removed his multiple posts.

shifty
  • zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    than was needed. Thanks for the update.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Straight from the editors - Nissan published a TSB on April 12, 2004 Reference NTB04-043 "2003 350Z Front Wheel Alignment Warranty Extension" and it has been sent to the dealers.

If you confirm:

An applied vehicle has excessive front tire "roar" or "growl" noise under the following conditions:
    -When braking moderately
    -At speeds below 30 mph
    -On smooth road surfaces

....the TSB is quite long. We will be posting a summary version or notice of it in the Ownership section of the site. If you would like the entire TSB (21 pages) please contact your dealer.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I would love to get into the roadster 350Z but the only thing keeping me from that is the worrie of insurance cost... I know since its a convertable its more.. but I'm wondering what if theres anyone here on the board who has a roadster that wouldn't mind sharing an aprox of what there monthly insurance is for this car... it may just bump out the MB C230 if the insurance don't kill me... (I have no record no tickets... perfect driving... student discount ect) any help would be greatly apriciated... planning on getting one of two with in next 3 weeks
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The only way to know for sure is to call your insurance agent and ask for a quote. There's so much variance between states, coverage levels, driver's ages, driver's driving records, that any number you got from here would be pretty meaningless.

For example, at age 48, male in Wisconsin, with a perfect driving record (moving violations) and no accidents, my premium would be $1,000 per year on the roadster with 50/100/300 coverage at $1000 deductible.

Compared to my 19 year old son, same car, same coverage, smae deductible, $2,800 year.
    See this is actually going to be reg as my moms daily driver... she has no accidents or tickets... yet I'm the one who's gonna drive it... but yea every time I call our insurance company the just give me a rough estimate and not an exact number saying that they won't compute that untill I have the car... so I'm thinkin I'm gonna get my father to call and ask em... I would have it on my insurance cause I don't have anything on it.. but I'm 20 and till I hit 21 its still going to be really high for me... which is why we're gonna see about having my mom as the primary driver and me as what ever on it... I was just looking for some sort of heads up on it though... thankx
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    ...the brush the kid off routine. Yes, ask your dad or mom to call and have them mail to you a quote with them as primary drivers and you as "occasional" driver on it.

heads up: in my state, if my wife and I (for example) each own a car, then buy a third car while we have a child living at home, the third car is assumed to be primarily driven by the child -- Socko on the insurance! Maybe where you live you can get around it. JW
    yes... we have a car at home alredy that is assumed or rather I'm insured on... yet lol it hasn't run for nearly 6 months now... but my insurance is nice and cheap... anyways thats how we've always done it... I get insured on the worst car while my parents are insured for the better cars... even though I have a better record than my father reciently... so thats why I'm thinking on having the roadster insured under my mom... we'll call and find out
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    cjs, wow at 20 years old and getting a 350Z roadster cool. I remember when I was 20 I got a used 1988 Corvette which was a trill for me then. Now at 27 I hope to be getting a 2004 350Z Touring this summer.
    I saved up all through HS for this, and I have a full scolarship for my college so I figured I'd do something fun like get a great looking and performin car... my only problem is that I need to see about the insurance at this point its the only thing that can really affect whether I can get one or not... but if I can't get the roadster I'm debating on getting the coupe or not... what do ya'll think?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well if you can't get a roadster of course you should try to get the coupe. Then again the roadster will pretty much cost you more for everything than the coupe in the long run. Good luck
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Just out of college. It's a convertible. The difference in insuring the convertible was negligible compared to the coupe or the 2+2. It was the twin turbo that was nearly impossible for me to insure at that age. Good luck!
    hahaha... but remember I'm not the one this cars going to be registerd under... its going under my moms name... which Im hoping will make a difference
    Doesn't matter I'm afraid. They will still charge you the highest rate as long as you and Mom have the same address. If you don't live at the same address and she claims the car is her's, then you are risking fraud, so be careful here.
    It depends on the state you are insuring in and sometimes on the underwriting policies of the particular insurance company you use.
    yeah, of course. I was just trying to give him a heads up in case he thought he had it licked without having to check on it. But being vague about where one lives isn't negotiable, to the best of my knowledge.
    I live at home but I've been coverd under my parents policy now... so far since I'm a student we've actually gotten discounts (dad used to have a MB SLK and I drove that and our insurance wasn't to bad... and I still don't have any tickets knock on wood... so maybe I'll get lucky
    since I'm gonna be getting a nice car, i'd rather not get any tickets along with it... can anyone sugest a good radar detector that not super expensive? I'd just like to try and go the extra mile to avoid any unwanted run ins with our local police who by the way I just recieved a ticket from for going 27 in a 25... I'm gonna take that to court cause thats a buncha BS in my opinion... anyone have any thoughts on whats a good radar dectector at a resonable cost
    sometimes they give you a false sense of security, or should I say the brillant thought that "you can drive it like you stole it". Not to sound like an old fart, but the worse thing to happen to an insurance rate, is driving like an @$$^%&* and killing someone or having a serious bash. If you really want to keep low rates and live into your 30s you'll pick your spots to "let it out" and not worry about a radar detector, IMHO. But as the saying goes "it's your funeral". Good luck (can you please let us all know the roads you frequent so that we can be aware). Gracias.
    all right we'll explain it this way...lol.. no offense to anyone... I do a tone of traveling especially for my dads company... I live in ohio and to make it to Chicago for normal people takes about 6 hours (live near cleveland ) as for me it takes 4... last trip i went out to omaho nebraska which from my house according to mapquest is a 13 hour drive I made it there in just over 10 and a half... now I don't drive like an idiot by anymeans... 99% of the time I'm going with the flow of traffic... grant you there are those rare occations in which I'm leading the pack i'd like not to be the one who gets picked off which is why I want a radar detector.. I've never been in any accident and consider myself an exceptional driver... especially when I look at people who have road rage... which thankfully I don't have if theres someone going slower than I wish to be going (mostly those who do exactly the speed limit or lower) I don't tail gate them because I've found that it does nothing but irratate them and make em go slower so now we just pass em... but long story short I don't drive like a maniac I think the fastest i've gone in a car is 85 MPH cause anything over that I get edgie and don't feel comfortable... so I know theres people who do 100+ cause I get passed by many of them... I'm just trying to keep out of trouble...
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I use Valentine's V1. Others swear by the Passport 8500. Before we start an off-topic war between all the fans of both, I'll suggest you do a search -=- Edmunds MUST have a board on this issue!! LOL. JW
    I too use a radar in my car, and it has saved me times mostly in the slower side street. On highways if you are going too fast it is most of the time too late to slow it down in time. Think about it if you are going 90 mph or 80 mph it going to take sometime to slow down or break hard. By that time the cop should have gotten a still above speed limit. Then again I always just feel more safe with my radar than without even if it isn't a sure no ticket which it isn't.
  • jpinwdcjpinwdc Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed an aftermarket sunroof in your 350Z? If so, are you happy with it?
    I never liked sunroofs so I am not going to even put one on my Z when it comes in. In fact glad it didn't come with one.
  • kiddockkiddock Member Posts: 2
    The 350z convertible I rented today has a problem I can't seem to fix. The top "froze" before completely closing, and I cannot get it to open or close. It is about 85% closed but the cover is fully verticle still. No noises or anything - just stopped closing. Any help from anywhere would be greatly appreciated.
  • kiddockkiddock Member Posts: 2
    I hope someone can help me- I rented a 350Z today, so I don't have the owner's manual. While closing the top tonight, it "froze" before completing the cycle; no noise or anything, just stopped closing. I can't make the top move in either direction; nothing seems to be in the way. Does anyone have a solution? Is there a manual way of closing the top?
  • chasechase Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine brand new and the top will not activate unless the car is driven forwards or backwards. Am I correct that the z soft top might be a lemon? Will this fit under the Lemon law?
  • shiftworkshiftwork Member Posts: 2
    It's obvious dohc32v has a preference for Mustangs (hey, we all have our faults right? :P)

"Let me know the next time you see an old RX-7, Supra or 300ZX. (or for that matter an old SL-230, SL-250 or even an SL-450 or BMW 2002)"

The rarity of old Japanese and German imports is not necessarily a shortcoming in the reliability department, but a lack of affordable parts and low resale values (although 70's and 80's Mustangs don't seem to hold their value much either). Open up a Classic Car Trader and there will a decent selection of 240Z's, this is because of their desirability much like you'd find many vintage Mustangs ('64 1/2-'73) as compared to the Pinto-based Mustang II's of '74-'77 (one of the biggest flops to come out of Dearborn ever). BMW 2002's in good condition still fetch $2500-$3000 easily and compared to their domestic competition of the day nothing could keep up with them on a racetrack (not dragstrip). As for Mercedes, the original SL 300 of 1953 was an engineering marvel and nothing Detroit produced at the time could compare.

"I guess if I was looking for a Bookkeeper or an Aministrative Assistant, the Civic minded individual might do. But if I was looking for someone who had fire in his belly, ready to think outside of the box and a self starter, I certainly would be more inclined to hire the youngster with the modified Muscle machine."

Think outside of the box? We're talking about a car that rides on a 26 year-old platform!! Where do you come up with this silliness? Fire in his belly? The only fire is the sensation he gets when trying to keep with a 350Z in the twisties. And lastly, self starter? Sounds more like a slacker that needs to get with it!! Hopefully the '05 Mustang will address some of these concerns, but too bad it still rides on a live rear axle!!!
    I read the owners manual and thought that it said not to use synthetic oil in the Z. Did I read that right or do I need to take less medication? If so, why does Nissan not want synthetics used in the car? Does the same thing apply to other lubricants in the Z
    looking to lease a Touring 350Z (manny)... I was hoping to lease one for 36 months for below 430 a month... anyone think I can do this... or is this not even a possibility... only reason I ask is because the drop tops are out... and i figured the demand for them are higher... i looked at the edmudns estimated pricing and it said 380ish... is this right or not even close? thankx
  • bigmo24bigmo24 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Chicago and am looking into buying a Z. Does the upgrade of traction control in the Enthusiast from the base model make a huge difference for driving in the snow?...or do both models handle the same?

Dan
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    If you live in Chicago, your going to need a second vehicle to drive in the snow. The combination of the tires, low clearance, and RWD means anything more than an inch or so and your not going to be moving with any confidence.