Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    I'll ask again, can you use synthetic engine oil in the 350Z (see post #1592)?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The 3.0-3.5 liter Nissan engine(s) is capable of using synthetic oil. I've used full synthetic in both my Maxima's and my Murano with no ill effects of any kind. I use it because I drive my vehicles literally until they die (or get totaled) and I use Mobile One 10w-30 full synthetic in the older VQ's and 5w-30 in the newer VQ's.

I can't find any reference in the 03 350Z owner's manual that says you can't use it. Where did you get the idea you shouldn't use it?

I would wait until about 10,000 miles, before I'd change over to full synthetic just to ensure the engine is completely broken in and ready to really run hard.

Some people think you can change earlier than that but I've had excellent results waiting until 10k to switch over. I then go with filter and oil change every 5,000 miles.
    I get out my owner's manual and get the reference page that I thought I saw the info. on.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    for the continuing discussion of synthetic oil.

I recently bought a Pathfinder with the same engine and use synthetic in my other vehicle. If there's a real reason not to use synthetic in the PF, I'd like to hear it.

I ran a Datsun 240Z 224K miles on dino oil, so am perfectly happy to go either way.

Just seems the synthetic ought to give better protection.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I misread the manual, it stated not to use any "oil additives", it makes no mention of not using synthetics.

My first mistake, I'm going to go kill myself.
  • bigmo24bigmo24 Member Posts: 3
    Well that's a little disheartening. Does everyone else agree that I would need a second car?...even with snow tires it's difficult to drive? I definitely can't afford two cars.
    is a strong word.

I drove both an MGB and a Datsun 240Z in Edmonton, Alberta, through several winters and had no trouble. I'm sure the 350Z can do everything my 240 did, only better.

Don't believe everything the front-wheel drive and/or AWD people (I nearly wrote another word that starts with p and has a couple of s's later, but thought better of it) tell you.

People were driving RWD cars (some of which had a lot of power and none of the traction control or yaw control goodies) for decades before FWD was ever thought about.

Today's winter tires all around help a lot as well. The BMW troops do just fine in the winter, but universally recommend Alpins or the equivalent. Put four good winter tires on a set of dedicated steel wheels and you'll be all set.

Get the thing and enjoy it, but you gotta be careful in winter weather.

Duh.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are those of us on the boards, including me, who believe that driving in snow is about 50% driver skill and 25% car and 25% tires. This doesn't mean that if you are a great snow driver it becomes magically "easy", but only that you can do it safely, especially with really good snows on all wheels.

If the snow gets so deep that it starts hanging up sports cars, it's probably a good day not to drive anyway, no matter what you have.

Many of us who are over 50 did very well thank you living in severe climates driving RWD cars, before FWD and AWD were popular. And with today's traction control and superior tires, I would think you'd even have it easier than we did.

But you gotta believe you can or you won't feel very comfortable.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I live near Boston and (as a native of Chicago area) we get lots more snow than you do ... not as much cold, but lots of snow. I've driven rwd sports cars year round in both of these climates. Currently I have a rear engine car with really wide tires in the back -- when we're approaching danger conditions for the roads (like when schools are being cancelled) what I do is rent a Focus from a Ford dealer about a mile from my place ... costs me $42 for the day. In the last years I've still only averaged +/- 10 days/yr .... so for $420/yr. I have alternate transportation for the 10 days I would be risking my car, or other people. This is less than it would cost, by the way, to insure a second car, even a beater. If I was near mass transit I could do it for $10/yr! JW
    Being that driving in snow is such a dominant issue, please HOST, do you job and redirect this discussion to a new spot. I live in California and only see snow on the Weather Channel.
    you want this topic to go completely dead, instead of just mostly dormant.
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I would just get the car of your dreams and try to work around the snow time thing. I live in NJ and it snows here too. I'll just get Bridgestone snow tires with sand bags in the back. And if it's that bad I'll take my wife Nissan Xterra to work. Why not get the car of your dreams just because of a few days of the year it doesn't drive well out of 365.

P.S. I know the snow issue is silly to talk about in spring, but at least people are talking here again!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We try not to be geo-centric, even though Edmunds lives in California!~
  • foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    I have been driving the 350z in snow for the past 2 winters. With Bridgestone snow tires, I did not have any problem as long as the car clearance can clear the snow. That is 4 inches or so.
  • nissanfan1nissanfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I know that nissan is changing its 3.5 engine to a 4.0 in the 2005 Pathfinder, xterra, and frontier. Does anybody has any info if the new engine will make to to the Z.
  • nissanfan1nissanfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I would surely like to see a 400Z in the future, it would certainly give this car a much welcome increase in horsepower. Perhaps in the 320hp vicinity.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Nissan should seriously consider bringing the Skyline GTR to the US. That is one awesome car and will roast the 350Z in any comparison test. If you live on the west coast, it is possible to special order one; I have seen one or two in Rodeo Drive, but the price is like 90 grand. Why are Americans being denied such a great car. It is available in the UK and Australia!!!
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    As much as the Nissan Skyline GTR should be here. This isn't as much of a market for these cars anymore. The Toyota Supra is example of one. They are both great cars, but not many people pay top dollars for a Toyota or Nissan like they would for a Lexus, Lotus, or Ferrari. The new 350Z is a much more marketable car which is why we have them here again.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    Just not as a Nissan, but as an Infiniti.

Nissan will be bringing it over in 2007, read article from MotorTrend:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news5

The GT-R will be Nissan's Global SuperCar... it won't be much of a "global" supercar if the USA (the world's biggest car market) is excluded.

It will probably be marketed under the Infiniti brand name.

Sure, people are not going to fork over $50k-$60k for a Nissan, but they won't have a problem if it is an Infiniti.
  • earlfargisearlfargis Member Posts: 16
    If this can be believed -- http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80658 -- there's a 305HP anniversary Z due in '05. Yellow will be offered as a color choice and possibly some other colors. No pricing is available.

The HP boost is welcome but practically isn't much to get excited about. It may be some added spice to bump up sagging sales a notch but, IMHO, the best way to do that is fix the nagging quality control problems the Z is experiencing.
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    I recently purchased a 2004 Z. I also purchased a Nissan extended warranty. I know the dealer marks these up. Can anyone tell me whether $1,360 is reasonable for a 7 year 70,000 mile coverage?
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    The new Road & Track has a picture and blurb about the '07 GTR. It's coming here. Suspension and steering tuning have been outsourced to Lotus (test mules are regular sightings around Hethel) and engine work is being done by Cosworth. They are expecting 450 BHP from the 3.5L VQ, probably turbocharged.
    I dunno. The worse problem with the Z is the tire feathering problem and the extended warranty doesn't cover tires or alignments. The second worse problem is paint chipping. Nissan doesn't seem interested in doing anything about that (of course, short of repainting over the thin, Walmart paint job what's a fix?).

As a company, Nissan's ranked slightly less than average by JD Edwards (based on surveys of 2001 models). The Z's quality thus far is sub-par even though the oldest ones on the road are about 2 years young.

Me, I'd try to haggle them down (everything's negotiable at a dealership). If they wouldn't give much or anything I'd probably take my chances and sweat it out after the standard 3-year warranty was over. But then I know a darn good mechanic. P^)

Is $1,360 exorbitant profit or a sign of lack of confidence on Nissan's part? Maybe a bit of each?
    The only thing I heard was Nissan is considering, I believe, supercharging the Z upping the HP to 335. Won't see that in '05. '06 maybe?

But there's a philosophical problem here. The 350Z was supposed to get back to the Z's roots. Any man's cheap thrill. The $26k sports car. True, the base coupe fulfills the promise. But for every base that shows up on a dealer's lot there's 5 or 6 $34-36k Track and Touring coupes. Add a supercharger (with whatever other options redefines the Z's high end) and the Z's marketing mix crosses well into the $40k range. Then it just becomes another high-priced sports coupe most of us can but drool over as they pass our commuter 'beaters' on the interstate. 8^)
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    I read in this forum about the paint and tire problems before buying my '04 Z. I hoped the tire problem (suspension related or otherwise) had been fixed for the '04 model year. I had autobahnd invisible bra applied to try and protect the paint. My '99 Lexus RX300 has experienced a lot of paint chipping on the front hood (maybe this is a sign of a problem related to the paint many companies are using today?).

I like the car so much that maybe I foolishly wished the problems away. Kind of like 'my experience will be different' syndrome.

As far as the warranty, you make a very good point. I can probably pick up an after-market warranty if I am still interested in owning the car 3 years from now.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Since Infiniti has already announced upgrades to the '05 G35 Sport Coupe, including 295+ horsepower, suspension upgrades, improvements to the shifter, and forged 19" aluminum alloy wheels. I've been checking http://www.nissannews.com/ for announcements, but there is nothing so far.

Paint is an issue for many manufacturers, since they have gone away from solvent-based paints to more environmentally friendly water-based paint.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I have heard that '04's also have the tire feathering problem. You have to wonder how many 350 Z owners live with this problem. They just think since it is a sports car, the tires wear out sooner that a non performance car. I bet we would be surprised.
    Here's the changes I've heard about for the '05. This is pretty much for certain:

- An adjustable lower control arm change (from fixed) for the front
      suspension to fix the tire feathering;
    - A new color: yellow;
    - Front and rear driver seat raisers standard;
    - Navigation option available only on the Touring model;
    - Upgraded interior plastic bits (e.g., dash storage bin door);
    - Heated side mirrors standard on all models.

Some plausible rumors I've heard:

- An upgrade in HP. This speculation is based upon the announcement
      the G35 coupe gets boosted HP. Makes perfect sense but every dealer
      preordering Zs claims this isn't mentioned among the listed changes;
    - A mid-'05 anniversary Z based upon the NISMO S-Tune GT. It's rumored
      to be 300 or more HP. This car will be made for the Japanese market
      but no announcement regarding the US. I believe I read an article
      which said Nissan would produce it for export BUT that could mean
      Europe gets one while the US goes begging <sigh>;
    - Euro-tuned suspension to quiet critics of harsh ride. Actually, I've
      heard this was a "running" change for '04 that already has been
      implemented in Japan. Tied to the adjustable control arm fix which
      I understand may take a tad of the bite out of the Z's current
      handling, especially at high speeds?

Other rumors float around but I wouldn't put much faith in them. The 350Z is only going into its 3rd production year. Too early for radical changes. But with sales off double-digit in '04 I have a feeling they'll have to do something by '06 to revitalize sales.
    that I wish they would address is the interior. Not just the shoddy materials, but the styling and the ergonomics. It might work for a $26k base model, but when they are asking almost $40k for a decked out Touring Roadster, it's almost embarrassing. And would it kill them to offer a moonroof?
    It's a utilitarian interior. Look inside a Porsche or an older Ferrari, not a hell of a lot of refinement in them. If you want it real soft, go by a Lexus or something of similar refinement.
    If you see a Porsche or a Ferrari -- any vintage will do -- the materials are of high quality. You're right, of course, that the Porsche's (until 99) looked the same in the interior for three decades, and the ergonomics were designed by drunken German elves. And Ferrari, especially in the "blue collar" 3x8 series, had a pretty pragmatic approach, too. But all was top quality, be it leather or switches or gauges. JW
    and if by "utilitarian" you mean crappy, I'd agree with you. If you look at other sports cars in the $30,000 range, the 350Z is not getting it done.

The interior in my '94 Z is almost perfect (no cupholders, tiny glovebox, quirky parking brake location, no steering wheel adjustments), which could have easily been addressed, but the new car's faults are glaring. I'd keep the seats and adjustable steering wheel/instrument cluster, throw out everything else, and start over.
  • tarheeltonytarheeltony Member Posts: 2
    I haven't seen any lease offers on new Z's. I would think they should lease well considering the resale and the fact that they don't seem to depreciate much. With sales down 14%, lease offers would give sales a boost. What would be a good lease on a base stickering at 27,280. Does anyone know how to find out how many Z's Nissan plans to produce for 04 and 05. Thanks
    Interior is not much to look at or sit in (like most generations of vettes however). I had an original 240Z and I guess the sparse interior is sort of what I was looking for when I jumped back into the Z world. Some people also [non-permissible content removed] about the rear-view site lines in a Z (or all sports cars for that fact), my advice buy a 4-door soft ride and you'll get that soft interior for your posterior.
    without being cheap. I can understand the cheap interior on the base model, but it's the same for every trim level. Asking for better materials and better layout is not the same as asking for a Cadillac.
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    I guess everyone has their own opinion, but I don't see any problems with the Z interior. I don't own one, but I've test driven several of them. Aesthetically, I think it looks pretty good for a sports car. My boss' 2004 Boxter S doesn't look any better, and it has a couple cheapo materials in there also.

I know they made changes to the 2004 interior in terms of materials. Do most of you who have issues with the interior own 2003 models?
    Personal taste is well... personal taste. Many complain about the cheap plastic -- which is supposed to be upgraded for '05. I don't see a real problem with the car's interior compared to other cars in its class.

It has a full instrument cluster which is more than can be said for, say, the Pontiac GTO. It has automatic climate control which I don't think is available in, say, the Honda S2000. The dash layout is neat, attractive, and simple. Better than, say, a Mustang GT (even the pictures I've seen of the upcoming '05) or much pricier Porsche Boxster (which suffers from being extremely dated).

Many complain about the lack of a dash glovebox. I'd agree, it's a problem. But you mention your '94 had a tiny one. And what makes up for the other 'quirks' your '94 Z has like no cupholders (that'd really suck in my book) and no steering wheel adjustments (unforgivable)?

The big complaint regarding the 350Z is lack of storage but that's almost universal for these budget sport coupes. Witness the small trunks of the S2000 or Chrysler Crossfire, for example. Of course, it's funny. Ever hear of someone gripe that a Ferrari can't carry a set of golf clubs? Like someone would care! 8^)

I've been reading forums on the S2000, RX8, Crossfire, and, of course, the Z. While not exactly cheap cars they are low-cost for sports cars. Every one of them has issues and compromises. Heck, even pricier cars like the Audi TT and Porsche Boxster have issues inside, outside, and performance-wise. You've just got to find the ones you can live with.

The old Zs of your vintage were fine cars. I've ridden in them and was impressed. But it's not really fair to compare to the current model because they grew expensive by comparison. The new Z is less pure (shares much from the Nissan parts bin) and scrimped on some things to save a buck but it has fulfilled the promise of the sub-$30,000 sports car. A base Z can had for thousands less than any of the aforementioned cars except the RX8.

If Nissan can fix their horrific tire feathering problem for '05 -- the deal killer for that car -- it's by far the best of the bunch, IMHO. What would you buy?
    really bothers me, but I still have the car, after 10 years and 123,000 miles. I can take out the ashtray and get a "small bottom" cup in there, but that's a kludge. I think the last gen Z's got the tiny glovebox as a result of adding a passenger side airbag.

The steering wheel placement is absolutely perfect, so adjustments would have been superfluous.

The trunk on mine is quite large. It easily swallows my hockey bag, a full size cooler, and I've had three sets of golf clubs back there without having to remove the long clubs. The new roadster has a tiny trunk, which is a shame since it has a J-Lo butt.

I like the interior of the RX-8, but if anyone thinks they have trouble with blind spots in the Z, just wait until you try driving the RX. The side windows are so small that they can't even get a full window sticker in it. The B pillar is massive, since it's the anchor for the freestyle doors. It should have a hatch instead of a trunk, since the trunk is reasonably sized, but the opening is so small that you can't get anything big in there.

I think my dislike of the 350Z interior is due to the acres of dark plastic. Like almost all new cars, the beltline is very high, and the door panels really need something to break it up.

Do any current owners have problems with the left side bolster on the driver's seat showing premature wear? Almost every 300ZX I've seen has a wear spot or hole in the bolster.
    just because it uses the FM platform and the VQ engine. Mine shares the 3.0L VG engine with the old jelly bean Infiniti J-30. Nissan makes the best V-6 in the business, so why not put it in everything?

I think the other cars on the FM platform (G35 sedan, coupe, and FX) benefit from the platform sharing, rather than the Z being hindered by it. Just think, they all get double wishbones all around, with cast and forged aluminum members. And a carbon fiber driveshaft? That's not cutting corners.
  • titantitan Member Posts: 16
    Gentlemen: (Assuming no ladies are driving this ride)

I have been thinking hard about purchasing a new Z with Nismo options- wheels, aero kit and exhaust. My questions are many but I will limit them to a few. First, does the Z on a set of 18s ride loud? Everything I read mentions that road noise becomes a pain in the a@@ after crusing for a while. Second, can anyone truly speak about the performance of this car? (i.e. acceleration, braking, etc.) Third, what had been paid for the Touring model with Nismo? Any Z lovers who can speak to this, I thank you in advance.
  • dcolasdcolas Member Posts: 2
    I read the 2003 nissan 350 models have a lot of problems, tires, transmission, brakes, dash noises, stereo, etc. I like the car very much and want to buy one. but I am very skeptical at this point, does anyone have information regarding these problems re-appearing on the 2004 models or have they been addressed by nissan, also the 2005 models are almost out, any news on them?, will nissan increase their price?.
    I would appreciate any info. thanks
  • foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    Tire feathering is the only problem that the 350z has not resolved. A patch solution is available for all existing owners, for now. Cruising in one is not any worse than any other sports car that I have been in. In fact, I have been in a lot worse at a much higher price point. However, if you compare it with a luxary sedan, then it is not as comfy when cruising. For the amount of money that the 350z costs, it is one of the best buys for performance and power in the market right now. Especially if you care to track the car once in a while.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    It may be the only problem that Nissan has not resolved, but it IS a VERY serious issue. If your car is affected, plan on replacing the tires every 10-15K miles or sooner. No matter how enjoyable the driving experience is, it doesn't make up for the severe tire issues this model has.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    If you think the tire feathering problem is bad in the Z, be glad you don't have an Audi TT. At 12,500 miles, my 2001 Quattro Roadster underwent a recall called the "LL campaign" which involved adjusting the rear suspension to improve high speed handling (along with a wheel alignment to go with the revised suspension settings). About 1,500 miles later, the tires were making lots of noise so I took it in. The dealer performed an alignment. By 15,500 miles, the tires were completely shot--worn down to the cords! I complained to Audi and went to a different dealer who was kind enough to do another four wheel alignment. Although I demanded new tires, they refused. So, I put new tires on the car--FOUR NEW TIRES because it is a quattro AWD. Less than 3,000 miles later, the tires were again making lots of noise. I went to the dealer to complain and they kindly performed a fourth alignment in less than 10,000 miles. This latest alignment completely disregards the recommended factory settings and uses far less negative camber.

Although I think the alignment is correct now, the rear tires still make an absurd amount of noise. So, I'll be getting rid of my beloved TT before I see the cords come through again.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    It seems that not all Zs have the tire feathering problem. My car is what others would term a "2004.5" model, built in 10/2003.

I checked my front tires this morning and everything seems to be wearing normally. No tire growl/roaring at all.

Other 2004 owners have reported tire feathering beween 4k-8k miles. I had my alignment checked at my first oil change. Some people recommend that you have the alignment checked regularly. I will personally do this, as it is cheaper to have the alignment checked then to have to prematurely replace the tires.

I plan to replace the tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All-Seasons) when the OEM tires wear out. I have read that typically the OEM tires last on average about 15k miles.

By the way, I have 9000+ miles on my car.
    Though I'm not personally pursuing the 350Z, I thought some of you might be interested to note that for my car (Porsche 911) it is unusual to have tires last beyond 15000 miles -- in fact, I've never heard of it. My case is more typical, and I get 6000-9000 normally with less on the rears and more on the fronts. Some people use two sets of rears (Porsche runs staggered sizes, wider in back) and try to get the fronts to last through the two sets of rears.

In case you want to know, my last set was Bridgestone S-02s; the current set are Toyo T1/Ss.

But I agree there is a problem on the Nissan ... wear noise, for example, should not be so high, and the wear pattern I've seen in pictures of failed tires, looks like bad alignment or suspension design. Have any of you tried having a good shop design a suspension package for you: spring/struts & bars? No, you shouldn't have to ... but it could be that simple and it wouldn't cost much more than a couple of wasted sets of good tires.

By the way, Hoosiers for track use last much, much less than a thousand miles and are the most expensive tires sports car ownders buy generally.

Just a non-owner's .02 Good luck to all of you.

JW
  • bairmanbairman Member Posts: 3
    Was out yesterday looking at Corvettes when I happen to see a Nissan dealer next door with a 350Z on display. Took it for a ride and went #$%##%%**, whoa what a ride. My question is how has everybody fared with this car. It would be my first sports car and I'm looking for something fun and affordable. I tried the Touring Roadster. I could look through these messages all day and still be confused. I guess what I'm asking is that even with a few small problems is this a car worth the money?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'm a Corvette fan and was close to buying a 2004. With the huge incentives available, I could have bought a C5 Roadster for about 45k. The more I saw of the C6, the more I felt I was settling for less than I wanted. So, I figured if I couldn't get exactly what I wanted now from a Vette, why not try some other cars?

So, I test drove the S2000, Boxster S, BMW Z4 and 350ZR. I compared all of them to my 01 Audi TT Roadster and the 04 Corvette. When I tallied the results, here's what I came up with:

S2000: great car if you don't mind revving the hell out of it--definitely not made for commuting.

Boxster S: too cramped, expensive and an ergonomic nightmare.

BMW Z4: Sorry, but nobody without a cape and little bat ears should be driving something that looks like that.

TT: I love this car but it's time for a change.

C5: awesome car, but I can't get past the tupperware interior (besides, my wife says I look like a "guido" driving it).

350ZR: great performance for the money--flexible, powerful engine and good handling. The funky ergonomics (power outlet, seat controls) were the biggest drawbacks.

So, if the dealer doesn't try to change the deal when I go to pick it up, I'll get my 350 next week.

Sorry for the rambling diatribe...
    Lighten up on yourself, Vinny.

I've read (& written) rambling diatribes.

Your post was neither.

Thanks for the helpful comparo.
  • aewjaewj Member Posts: 4
    My '04 started roaring at 8,000 miles. The dealer had to discuss this with Nissan before doing any work. Nissan came back with "The problem is only with the '03s - sorry." After a long discussion with Nissan, they finally agreed to cover the problem - we'll see if they do. But . . . after reading some of the posts here, are you guys saying that I am going to have to replace tires every year? If so, I think my 350 wil be up for sale soon.