Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• farscapefarscape Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately the touring model drops the vdc option if you choose an automatic meaning in order to get both you must get the anniversary model. I was hoping it wasn't a written in stone policy.

I noticed too how much better my '90 300ZX grips when i put z rated tires on it. I totaled another 300ZX on a slick road just tapping the pedal one night.
  • jlettie1jlettie1 Member Posts: 9
    I visited 2 Nissan showrooms and basically were told the same story that Nissan is receiving so many complaints from customers about the life of the tires that the rumor about Nissan dropping the 350Z is true. Nissan is not alone Chrysler is having the same problem with the Crossfire premature tire ware rash of customer complaints. I know the Crossfire has 18" in the front and 19" in the back. To replace these tire if you can find them would be about $800.00. The only smart manufacture is Lexus they only offer the run flats as an option with the hardtop convertible. I would interested to hear if any other manufactures dropping the run-flats.image
  • leebroleebro Member Posts: 8
    jlettie1 said Lexus was smart to only offer RF as an option on the hardtop convertible (SC430). What is really the case is that while the RF's are shown as a option, they're the only way you can get the car. Go to Lexus web-site and "build your car". Each Option Package includes both the RF's and the tacky afterthought looking "spoiler". And you must pick one of the four packages
    One smart-[non-permissible content removed] salesclerk (I won't insult salesmen by calling him one) even said that if I bought the car I could take the run-flats off once I had bought it. Duh. Now you see why I'm here. I'll be damned if I buy a 60K+ plus car and then pay an extra 800 for two "required" "options", that I don't want.
  • liquid1liquid1 Member Posts: 4
    I was considering on buying a new 350Z and want to use it as a daily driver. So the car needs to be practical. I know that this car doesn't have back seats so consequently the front seats can't be fully reclined. When I am at a club I sometimes like to show the ladies my cool ride. I sometimes even like to have sex with on of the females that I meet. Which brings me to my question that may play an important roll in my decision on purchasing the Z. Is the seat able to recline far enough back so that I can do my thing missionary style? Please someone or anyone who has or hasn't tried this let me know if it is possible.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    the rumor is true because ....?? a couple of salesman stated so?? I certainly wouldn't put money on it. They are still selling a pretty strong number of Zs, so I have to doubt they would drop the car altogether.

What do runflats have to do with premature tire wear? They wear just like non-runflats do. By the way, Avon makes a matched set of tires that fit the Z and are very reasonably priced on tirerack. When its time to replace mine, that's most likely the route I will be going (they are also all-season, so that should help with the previously discussed adverse weather driving).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Really? That's strange. Where did you get that info. I'm trying to find that on the Nissan site, but the closest I can see is in the comparison chart when I pick an AT or MT. The AT seems to be lacking something called Transmission Stability Control. I'm not sure what that is. Is it possible that is the same as Vehicle Dynamic Control? Seems odd that they would give it a different name, but its certainly possible. However, did you confirm on an actual car that this is true? Is there no VDC button or light? Just doesn't seem right that they would actually remove it from a particular vehicle, but, again, I guess its certainly possible.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 350z4me350z4me Member Posts: 4
    My wife is planning to get a G35 Coupe, does anybody know if they suffer from the same tire feathering problem as the 350Z does, I am incline to think they would be affected too, since both cars share the same drivetrain and platform.
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    While I don't drive a G35, but I do have a 2004 350Z and do not have tire feathering problem. From what I have heard I don't think the G35 had the tire feathering problems. Might want to ask the same question on a G35 forum unless you did already.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    ... and to get there, just click this link:
    Infiniti G35 Coupe discussion about their experiences with the tires.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    All the 03 to current G35 coupe and sedan do not have this tire feathering problem that the Z has. I currently own a 05 sedan and have been following the three cars for the past two years. I want to make sure the bugs are worked out before we make the decision which turns out to be the sedan. The most common problems for the coupe is the brake pads tend to wear abnormally fast on some cars. It is believed to be fixed by Infiniti using a different types of brake pads. Other than that, G35s have rattles and sqeaks that can be annoying if the dealer can't dublicate the problem.

On the Z, I was able to confirm recently that the 05 owners are having the feathering problem. I would not believe anything a salesman tells you.

With the upgraded interior, the coupe is an excellent choice. You may consider to buy in October when the 06's are in for some good discounts on the 05, must be less than invoice. Good luck!

Am I getting this right? You settled on a G35 sedan?
    May I ask what made you switch from looking at sportscars like the S2K and 350Z (which, at last check, you were buying a 350) to getting a near-luxo sedan?
    Why not the coupe?

• lok2bye350zlok2bye350z Member Posts: 9
    You "don't" have the tire feathering problem? How many miles on your car so far... Have you had any mods... Do you floor your car sometimes or leave it in the garage most of the time. Let me know cuz I want to trade a 02 avalon for a 05 Z and I want to use it for daily driving :shades:
    Not everybody has the problem. I've heard from PLENTY of folks who don't. Problem is, as happens on all automotive message boards, those who have any problems are much louder than those that don't.

But, where do you live? Because, honestly, I would never suggest the Z as a daily driver. It is HORRIBLE in adverse weather conditions. If you live where it snows, then you will have to invest in a set of snow tires. Even if you live in the sunbelt, you are going to want to replace those stock shoes with a set that will at least be better in the rain.

I have the Z almost a year now with 7,600 miles on it. Like I said before Nissan sells close to 30K Zs a year and not all of them have that problem. On a message board problem can get much bigger than they really are.
  • lok2bye350zlok2bye350z Member Posts: 9
    :blush: :sick: :sick: I live in long island ny
    I know the snow can get crazy sometiems... but i dont plan on going out int eh blizzard... can it handle 1-2 inches? ;);)
    Well you are still going to need snow tires and you should be fine in 1-2 inches of snow. :)
    gbrozen,
    Sorry for the confusion. Last year in October, my fiancee and I bought a 05 G35 sedan. It is pretty much her car. In the last month or two, I was shopping for sportscar myself. Looked really hard at the Z since I really like G35. Went to a couple dealers and even got some prices. Did some more research in some Z forums and found out the feathering problem hasn't gone away for the 04 and 05. As a result, I didn't want to take the risk and decided to wait again. I will probably wait for the new miata(mx5) to come out and go from there.

i see.

well, good luck with whatever you decide.

A member of our boards said I could post this pic to show off her Z.

I noticed this when I went to a meet in NJ ... I like the wheels on the automatic version better than what came on my 6-speed. Too bad the autos only have 17s, but those little dimples on the spokes, I think, are cool. Nice car, Zlady.

It looks like she has the G35 spoiler on it?
    I'm not sure where its from. Its not factory, that's about all I know.

• zladyzlady Member Posts: 8
    Hey Gbrozen,
    Thanks so much for posting and the compliments! I just took some pics this weekend. The whole front to show off the custom grill and the back to show off the Kaminari spoiler. Also, I have a light ring behind the "Z" logo in the sides, but they only show up at night and give a nice glow...and it shines down like a fan beneath it...
    I do like the rims..alot...they match the dimples on the door handles. Maybe next year I will go 18" on the front and 19" in the back...but for now I'll wait till the tires are worn and go from there. Plus it's a big expense and I couldn't find just want I wanted and so I'll wait. Thanks again!
    Zlady :shades:
  • zladyzlady Member Posts: 8
    Hello nissan350z~
    This is Zlady. I purchased the spoiler from a site called "The Z Store". It showed alot of spoilers but I loved how this one 'curves' in on both ends in the back...very different looking. Offered by Kaminari. There were a couple of others but they I would have had to remove both logos from the trunk and I didn't want to have to do that.
    Zlady :)
  • zeapodzeapod Member Posts: 3
    Hi Z Friends
    I am new to the group. I just got the Zea-bug and have not yet drove the car but a friend gave me a ride in one. I love the car, but I am curious what the upkeep is like on one of these cars. I have friends who tell me their Japanese cars are very expensive to service. I asked the salesmen about the tire problems and they pretend to never have heard of such problems as though I had been talking with men from the moon. I am near retirement and would not be using the car for daily use, just pleasure driving and things like that, I am easy on a car. I currently own a Lincoln Mark IV that would share the garage with the Zee... Interested what you have to say, should I shop low miles used or by new ? I really do not want to buy something with high miles or a returned lease car that has been abused... Jim
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    While I'm sure qbrozen has a better idea than I do, around OH, Z's bring strong used money. Personally, I almost think it's worthwhile to go new since there seems to be a lot of stock on them.

It will make a nice complement to your Mark (I always loved those cars....thought they were styled nice, luxurious and had V8 power).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Well... it all depends on personal preference. In my case, even with Nissan's VIP pricing and the incentive available at the time, a new 6-speed Touring Z would have cost me somewhere around $31K, IIRC. I managed to find an '04 with 9K miles for $26K. So I opted to save the $5K and went with the used car. Now, keep in mind, this was February in NJ, so its not like these were flying off the car lots at that time (although it seemed like it since everytime a lead came up, i would call and the car was already sold).

As far as upkeep, this is pretty low maintenance. It has a timing chain, instead of belt, so no worries there. I've switched to synthetic oil and will probably still with the manufacturers recommended 7500 mile oil change interval. 14K miles on mine now and the brakes and tires still look good. I will be rotating the tires every 7500, as well. Tune-up, as on most cars these days, is scheduled for 100K miles. So, really, this car is surprisingly low maintenance. Less than both my Honda Pilot and my Volvo S70.

Like you, this is not my daily driver, and I am still convinced that I made the best possible choice for me. I absolutely love driving this car.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    q....around southwestern OH, the used ' 04 "Zs" all loaded up (Touring) are advertised in the paper for around $27K. I would think a new one would sell for about $32K. Less options, and your in the $30K range. Pretty close from what I can tell if the used one actually sells close to asking price.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    Great to have you on board. I absolutely love my Z. The only real issue that seems to pop up is the tire feathering. Even with it, the car is so much fun to drive I think it's worth whatever hassles might come up with that. I have an 04 roadster and the tires have 9500 miles on them. I only get some tire hum at 40 - 50mph. This is not typical for the feathering(most hear it below 30 mph if they have it). But I hit a curb at about 40mph in a flat spin. Bottom line is I think the feathering issue is more and more rare the later the model you get. Since you are using it for a joy ride, I don't think you'll put that many miles on it per year, so replacing tires won't be much of an issue.

If it's not going to be your daily driver, might I recommend getting the roadster. I really wanted the roadster, but debated spending the extra money. All I can say now is that it was worth every extra cent many times over. You owe it to yourself to at least try the convertible. It literally brought a tear to my eye the first time I took it through the mountains, west of Denver. Nissan really did their homework on the roadster, it loses very little rigidity. Most of the car mags are impressed with how much it feels like the coupes in regards to handling. The airflow is great. With the top down you can have a normal conversation at 90mph.

The only other advice I would have is to get a new 05 if you can afford it. I got my 04 new at $4500 off sticker and 2.0% financing(who in their right mind buys a roadster in Denver in the middle of Nov). If you wait you can get a smokin deal on new ones, and the later the production date the less likely you are to have issues since they had more time to get the bugs(including the feathering) worked out.
    Hi Friends many thanks for all the advise and suggestions. I will shop and enjoy looking at the cars for the next few months. I have some money coming in around the first of the year and I will be able to buy the car cash at that time. I think a left over model that will still be new would be a starting place for me.... many thanks Jim
  • zee1zeeonlyzee1zeeonly Member Posts: 5
    I am going to buy a Z in the next month or so. I live in Nashville TN, but am looking as far as KY and GA for my Z becuase I have a special desire. I want to get a Touring Coupe for under $30,000. Has anyone accomplished this daunting task? If so, tell me how much you paid, how many miles were on your car, and what kind of discounts and rates you got? The reason I ask for miles is because I have pretty much given up hope on finding a new Touring Coupe for that price.

I was considering a lease but after realizing what pride I could have in ownership, I changed my mind...the extra 50-70 dollars a month will be more than worth it!
    Back in Feb. I paid $26K even for an '04 Touring 6-speed Silver over Orange leather with 9K miles. Everything absolutely perfect and like new on the car.

Bought from a pretty big high-end used car dealer (mostly porsches, benzes, bimmers, jags, that type of thing) ... I didn't get a discount... he was asking $26K and my shopping experience up to that point told me it was a very good deal as priced, so I paid the money and ran.

Rate? ummm, let me think back .. oh, yes ... also pretty good for a used car ... i had gotten pre-approved for something like 4.85% over 5 years from an online bank (e-loan, i think), but this dealer got me 4.65% through his lender. But, obviously, your rate can easily vary based on credit score, current federal reserve rate, alignment of the planets, etc.

Thanks for these comments qbrozen. I hope more people can respond to my question. I don't think I would want to get one with more than 10K miles on it. I want to break the baby in myself. At that point it may be too late.

Thanks again...wish me luck in my search.
    Friends I live in Portland Oregon and saw two Track coupe's sold for approx 25,000. They were both black and well appointed and had only 15K miles on them, looking and smelling factory fresh, not a spot to be found. One man here in Newport Oregon is selling a nice 2004 Track with special wheels and tires etc, only 4K miles and asking around 30,000K Would not lease me one, I am buying mine Zeapod
    not a problem.
    good luck.

were those 2 track models '03s or '04s?
    Seeing as how Track models only add about $700 to the trade-in value over a Touring, and given the 15K miles, I could see it being possible they were '04s ... but also knowing that I've seen many folks overpay for used Zs, I could also see them being '03s.

• chancezchancez Member Posts: 1
    I had to replace my front tires at 15,500 miles. I'm now totaling 19,500 miles on my 2005 base model 350z, and these new Bridgestone tires are already showing uneven wear with under 4,000 miles on them. I guess it's time to have them swapped and aligned....big bucks.
    I've been told that switching tire brands might help - there's an ad for Michelins in the new Motor Trend, which I take to mean that we've now got a wider selection available.
    Has anyone Swapped brands this with success?
    Any otherideas for me?
    personally, when the time comes, I'm going to try the Avon Tech tires on tirerack. I'll get all-season capability and the reviews on there from other owners are all positive.

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like the well known suspension issue causing pre mature tire wear/feathering. Not sure a different brand tires will help.
    I'm pretty positive he knows all that, based on the comments in his message.

Some folks have had perfect success swapping tires .... some haven't. Its a crapshoot.

Guys listen...I was gonna post in the forum title prices paid/buying experience, but it seems no one checks that one.

I am buying a 2005 enthusiast. Anyone bought their Z in the past month, and if so, how much did you pay? I think I can get some negotiation going on because they are trying to get the '05's off of the lot. I bet I can get out the door in an enthusiast for under 27K.
    I'm not sure where you live or what taxes are, etc .... BUT, if I were to assume somewhere in the ballpark of $1800 for taxes/fees/reg/title/etc ... that leaves a purchase price of $25,200 on a car with zero incentives (per Edmunds) and an invoice of $27,169.

$2K BELOW invoice?? Good luck!

Well...without taxes, I got quoted at $26,324 on a black enthusiast manual coupe. Ha HA HA! I couldn't refuse. With my financing, it's only costing me about 400 a month to drive what I consider one of the most legendary cars on the road. I mean, to have statewide associations dedicated to single car... only a few cars can claim that...Corvette is one I can think of. Z owners are rabid when it comes to their emotion about the car. The way I see it, the only people who should be driving it should be those who, like me, have an inexplicable draw to the car, its history, and its exclusivity. Problems...who cares about problems...when you feel the way I do about the car, you don't care about problems. To me, there is a certain pride in being able to say I own and drive my very own Z...I am sure that there are other folks who feel the way about their car that I do about mine...but the Z has always had an edge...to me at least. I am so glad to finally be in one.
    A little over $800 below invoice. Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy!

That's the best deal I have seen so far with out rebates or incentives. That leads me to think there might be dealer incentive for them to offer such exceptional price to you. Or could be because they really want to make room for the 06s. Can you provide more details on how you were able to acheive this price? Thanks.

• scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Check this out from our pals at Jalopnik
    Some of that isn't new, though.

My '04 already has VDC and standard 18" wheels.

Other reports say new LED taillights, by the way.

Bi-xenons, LED tails, and MP3 capability are the only good additions I've seen reported, personally.

2006 Lineup
    '06 Z Debut

With 18's, bi-xenons, and 300HP with 6MT all standard now, what's the point of continuing with the 5 original models, plus the new Grand Touring?
    they are saying the grand touring will have brembos and staggered 18/19" wheels.

the real question, i think, is what will be the differences between the Track and Grand Touring? I assume the grand touring will come with luxury features not on the track model ... so I'm guessing, in order of pricing, this Grand Touring model will now top the lineup.

Based on Nissan's site, I'm beginning to wonder if they have REMOVED VDC from the regular Touring model:
    New Grand Touring coupe model – includes Touring Model plus Brembo® brakes, front and rear spoiler and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)

link

The new wheels look sharp. As for the front end styling changes, I can't tell a thing. Going to have to see it in person. The LED tail lights look good, but most importantly, it looks like the interior door panels are much improved.

The Grand Touring Coupe sounds like a Touring with Brembos, aero package and wheels to me. Or a Track with leather. Maybe it's just a permanent name for the 35th Anniversary model.

Now all it needs is a moonroof option...