Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    No, but nerd jokes do apply to you ;-)
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Blakjack, there is a difference though. Girls do like the to look at new Z, but not because it is really funny looking. ; D hahaha
  • drivebywiredrivebywire Member Posts: 20
    I would be really cool if nissan put the xenon light covering in matching body color!

In the following, gray is shown with a silver body color.

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Regarding weight, from a dynamics perspective, more weight will always hurt lateral handling ability because the wheels are unidirectional and spaced apart. The car relies entirely on traction to change direction.

There are a variety of ways to address this. The ultimate way to handle this would be a torque transfer system operating at all four corners on an AWD car, with all four wheels capable of turning. This would give the car the ability to gain lateral movement, then gradually translate this to a change in the direction the vehicle is pointed. Anyone who has driven a car with 4-wheel steering can appreciate the sensation of lateral movement on a dime, but without the ability to slip torque to the outer corners (front and back) you still have the problem of "spinning" the car towards its new direction.

Theoretically, a good torque transfer system front and back, paired up with AWD and sufficient power at each axle, would result in a vehicle whose handling ability would be the same regardless of weight. In fact, you could increase weight and so long as your power-to-weight ratio remained fixed you'd actually have a *better* handling car (or at least higher limits) because the extra downforce would mean better traction.

That is about the only condition under which weight won't make it harder to turn the vehicle. Unless you have that kind of setup, it doesn't matter whether you have FWD, RWD, or AWD, the car will be resistant to turning.
  • BlakJackBlakJack Member Posts: 18
    I was the inspiration for the new Docker's commercials? "Nice pants."
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    LOL!!
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    I think the Z will look best in metalic grey (matches wheels and head lights) or red (matches tail lights....color coordination...
    I would go for La-man sunset. yes I know that this will fade etc.... Hey I am not gonna keep this car forever.
    I love this color when I saw in 2001 NAIS Z concept.

By the way, does anyone seen Z track photos? I still dont know how the spoilers gonna look like. This car is beauty by itself. I dont we need spoilers to spoil!
    I really can't imagine a spoiler style that would look good on this car.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Silverstone with burnt orange leather.

To me that would be absolutely an awesome combination. This car needs a spoiler like a hole in the head. It's just a beautiful looking vehicle and this is coming from someone who has virtually no interest in two seat sportscars of any kind (well maybe the XK8).

Second color choice, Brickyard (if it really is a deep purple) or Chrome Silver.
  • bbunsbbuns Member Posts: 17
    Burnt Orange Leather is indead a beautiful choice. Its heard to imagine a sports car without leather interior!
    Personally, I never liked leather interior on cars. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter... not to mention slipping factor on sharp turns.. :)
    in all of there models. Its very nice... I bet wings west or some other rice factory will come out with some rediculous triple decker spoilers as soon as the car is out...
    One more thing that I like the Z logo everywhere in the interior (air outlets). Orange dashboard lights are very stylish as well.

• cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I love it when my fuzzy logic works :D Nice wuzzy bear BlakJack!

Please... try to post a fuzzier picture next time... I think that my eyeballs are coming loose....
    That was the best shot I got!
    Is this better for your shot?
  • mikekabrisky1mikekabrisky1 Member Posts: 28
    I've noticed that the price on this car ranges from 26k to 34k. I have a feeling that if this car is popular, there will be a huge price markup. This would be disappointing, but it seems likely. I was looking at another car(Acura MDX SUV), though not the same class, they're selling at or above MSRP because of the demand. I just hope this isn't the case with the 350z.
    My local dealer does not charge any markup. Just MSRP. Bad news is, both allocated slots for Z are spoken for....
    Hey guys/gals,

I just went to a local Nissan dealer to discuss the Z. The salespeople were very busy and one guy told me briefy that you can lock in the price($26k for base model) right now if u put down a $5,000 deposit. He told me that they wouldn't go over sticker price like other cars are now days. Not sure if he actually meant the other dealerships(other competing Nissan dealers or Honda/Acura, Toyota, etc.) The salesguy left to continue with the other customer. I need to ask him tomorrow about negotiating on the price($26k) since it's still MSRP and i wanted to see if i could get the best price. The only thing i wonder is why the deposit is so high. Is this unusual? It sounds more like a down payment for a car that will arrive in August 2002. A friend of mine placed a deposit for an Acura MDX at only $ 500.00. Thanks guys.
  • brew1974brew1974 Member Posts: 18
    From what I have seen, every deposit is non-refundable, because all the pre-orders are custom made. I've heard of deposits from $500 to $5000 and prices from MSRP to $5000 over sticker. I know some dealers have actually filled orders, even at 5 large over. As far as getting one less than sticker.....you better hope you're related to someone who owns a dealership, is my bet.

Why doesn't your friend just go buy a minivan. He won't have to wait on that and he'll get just about the same thing....haha hehe LR Discovery Yeh!
    The marketing on this car is definitely in overdrive. I've seen more ads for the new Z than any other car in recent memory.

$5k over is pretty hefty. You know, if you take the top trim, add $5k to that, add taxes and add expected interest on a decent loan, you're looking at a car that costs well in excess of $40k.

So has anyone figured out if this is a no-holds-barred sports car a la S2000 or a heavy luxury sports cruiser a la SC430? All Nissan talks about is heritage, but since the heritage of the old Z is of a no-holds-barred sports car that evolved into a heavy luxury sports cruiser, that doesn't help much.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Sphinx99: The new Z is obviously a compromise between the two extremes you mention. As has already been discussed, it is heavier than it could be, but we don't expect it to be a boulevard cruiser like the SC430 or the new T-bird. Neither will it be bone-jarring like an all-out sports car.
    My dealer takes $500 deposit (non refundable) with MSRP. I would be very surprise if someone pays below MSRP for these pre-orders.
    who determines the price. its the finance department who aproves price, the dealers job is jut to try and get you to pay more so they get higher commission.
    If there was a demo Z at the dealership that i could test drive and determine that i liked the car, then putting a deposit of $5k for a preorder would be ok. Right now, there is no car at the dealer to test drive. Until, u test drive the car, making a decision to buy would be rash. I still think that negotiating is still a possibility for pre-orders. Maybe, pre-ordering a car with customization is not bad if one could select only certain options that he/she wanted.

P.S: I didn't have time to stop by the dealer today. Will try again soon.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I know of one major San Diego dealer who always releases cars under MSRP, regardless of the car's popularity. Not every dealer will look for short term gain.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    If you can wait another year, that might be the best move (unless you absolutely, positively have to have a brand new Z as soon as it comes out).

Besides working out the "bugs", Nissan will likely make minor changes to the equipment packaging (i.e. adding xenons to the base model, adding leather to the enthusiast models, etc, etc). Plus I'm sure that after the initial surge that the Z's popularity will wane a bit (allowing for test drives and a bit more negotiating). Esp if Nissan builds 60,000 per year (or whatever the number is).

[I know you guys can tell that I'm hurting 'cause I won't be able to get one for a couple of years!]

:-)
  • hrvathrvat Member Posts: 18
    Perhaps this is a stupid question, but....

"Why would anyone want to spend a lot of money for such a tiny car?". It's real attractive from the outside, but it seems even tinier than the Audi TT.
    Why would you want to spend a lot of money on a big car? Because you get more metal? I don't know about you but when I shop for a car I am not looking in to the price of metal.
    it's not the size that matters. It has to do with built-in quality and performance, perhaps other intangibles as well. You could ask the same question to those people who opt to buy supercars....
    Why would you want to spend a bunch of money on a "tiny" diamond when you can get a big ole piece of wood for cheap....? Brain Damage!

Anyway, despite the skeptics out there, all the 2003 Z's will be presold. Yeh, evevntually the demand will go down like always. However, there will be no Z's sitting around at dealerships this year.

I'll have my Black/Burnt Orange Touring Pkg. with 6 speed and 18" wheels in July or August. :)
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    informal poll. How many out there have put down a deposit and placed an order? How much was the deposit and are you getting it for MSRP?

brew1974, I disagree. The few dealers I spoke to, that had a range of markups, all had fully refundable deposits. Therefore, there are bound to be some pre-orders that aren't sold. In addition this isn't a low volume car. I'd give it six months if that long b4 there are Z's sitting on the lot.
    I would never put a deposit on ANY car. I'd just wait for there to be enough cars on the lot to haggle.
  • charliemikecharliemike Member Posts: 87
    "its the finance department who aproves price, the dealers job is jut to try and get you to pay more so they get higher commission."

My Sales Manager set all the sales prices for my deals, the F&I guy just did the paperwork and loans.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Anticipation is high now and will only get more as the release date (still 6 months away) gets closer, more articles/test drives are put out, the coverage of the Detroit Auto Show is released(Road & Track, Car and Driver, etc.) and the official specs of closer to 300 hp than 280 hp.
    I say all pre-sold!
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I have been very satisfied with my 2000 Maxima SE and would have no hesitation buying another Nissan car or truck. However recently I was on http://fightingchance.com and was offended by an article about Nissan and there cars. To sum it up Toyota and Honda have a proven track record of reliability and resale. Nissan has had winners and loser's and Nissan has not financially recovered from the mid ninety's, although they are improving. Nissan/Infiniti are releasing many new cars, suv's and full size trucks in the next few years, but will they be able to catch up to Toyota and Honda?
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Anyone putting $5K down for a deposit is being ripped off. It sounds like pressure selling. $5K in money market for 6 months can yield you a nice return.
    of course... once that money is withdrawn then the government will tax so much that you are back in square one :D Ooopss... forgot to talk about the Z... too many people want one. I just want to know when the rage will die down.... like the WRX did.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,432
    Its so true...there are WRXs rotting on the lots of Subaru dealers now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

the things that the Z will have that the WRX doesn't

good looks - sportscar styling
    normally aspirated engine
    RWD - AWD might be considered overkilled
    6 cylinders - compared to a noiser 4 cylinders

oh well.. those Subaru dealers are selling them near invoice now... nice deal, if you want a high performance Subaru. Of course, the WRX is more practical.
    some M3 statistics from BMW.com:
    3415 lbs
    333hp 3.2l
    0-60 in 4.9 sec

some Z stats
    3200 lbs
    300hp 3.5l
    who said the Z was fat...and cant handel well....your wrong.
    yes, it will still be fat next to the RX-7.

The horsepower number is not finalized yet... we can't predict the handling until we see the numbers on the track.... the size of the tires would be a factor.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    You think 30k or so Zs are going to pre-sell? Good luck Nissan. Can't think of a single car with production numbers over 10k that one can't find on a lot.

BTW, someone said the Z is small. He obviously has not been near one. It's a sizable car. Bigger than a Golf-platform TT, that's for certain.
    If you would read the posts, you would see that (like I wrote before) that the first year production is set at 30,000; for the WHOLE WORLD. I know you are somewhat narrow minded but there is commerce outside the borders of the U.S. On top of that, the pre-sell does not include the entire U.S. allotment for the 2003 model. And while you are laughing..I see you have a VW Jetta, now that is funny.
    Cyanno you gotta admit that you want this car desperately!!! Don't give me test drive reason :)
    We all know This motor has been one of the top 10 best motor for last 10 years... Infact, I am sure you have your favorite color Z saved a screen saver!

Com'on man! be a playa. ;->
    Hey guys,

I called the dealer today and another salesman told me it was $1,000 deposit despite the written sign($5,000). He said they're pre-ordering for MSRP price. He also said that nationwide there are going to be only 16 Zs provided for each Nissan dealership(at least in my city), thus no demo one to test drive for sure. Oh well, i guess i just need to read road test reviews before i pre-order. I think i need to go down there this weekend to meet him face to face and see if i can deal under the MSRP. Anyways, i can't seem to find the specs of this car as far as height, weight, width, length. The brochure at the dealership doesn't have this and the salesman isn't sure exactly. Any website links for more detailed info? Thanks.
    On a different subject, anyone hear anything about the convertible that's supposed to be due sometime in 2003? I don't have any real interest in the coupe (Nissan won't be gouging me anytime soon) but my next car will be a convertible and a topless 350Z would be very attractive on a number of levels. However I haven't heard much news about it, other than Nissan's statement that there will be one after the coupe.
    a convertible Z, just s coupe with a sunroof.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I'd like to see a sunroof also. However, after looking at some of the pictures on the Nissan website, it does not look like there is enough room for sunroof. I think they could possibly put some T-tops on it, which would be nice.
    I don't see a sunroof fitting on the car either. Unless they make a sunroof that tilts up and slides over. No sunroof, there's now 1 less person who'll be going to the Nissan dealership when the lease is up on his Saab in December.