Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1964-66 Thunderbirds

2»

Comments

• 65bird65bird Member Posts: 1
    I own a 65 T-Bird Hardtop with the 4 way power drivers seat - fore/aft and up/down are the only adjustments. There is no power adjustment for seat or backrest angle. As previously mentioned, the backrest angle can be adjusted manually although I find the range of adjustment fairly limited. Seat comfort is less than ideal in the front.

The car makes a reasonably good straight line cruiser with a relatively smooth if not a bit wallowy ride. I have a reprint of the original Ford features and specifications manual for the '65. It lists a staggering curb weight of 4650 lbs for the hardtop and 4768 lbs for the convertible. According to the manual, its a unibody. Turns at even moderate speeds make the tires howl - it's definitely not built for handling.

Mine has 93k miles on it and other than some recent brake work (new calipers and brake hoses) I haven't had any major problems in the last 3 years. All accessories (including the clock and trunk release) still work. It is important to note that it does not have power windows or vacuum locks. I have heard that these can be quite problematic. Build quality is pretty good for the 60's -it is still relatively free of squeaks and rattles.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That remote trunk release was a rare option yet it doesn't have power doors or windows.

I've only seen a couple without the windows and locks and it seems to me that at least half I've seen had air conditioning.
    Hard to find on a '65 T-Bird included a reclining passenger seat. You could spot these because they had a adjustable headrest.

Power vent windows.

AM-FM radio...not stereo.

Ultra rare, cruise control...I've seen one.

Couple of other things now I can't remember.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I know they pushed it in ads quite a bit on the 66, the switches were on the (newly redesigned) steering wheel. I would think a luxury car like this would be easy to find w/cruise. Maybe the 65s didn't push it. I don't think I've seen too many power vents. What about power passenger seat, was that even offered back then? I think 66 was the first t-bird to offer 8-track, anyone seen one?
    It was rare on all cars back then.

On the 65's the control was mounted on the center console. No power passenger seats.

And, yes, 8 tracks were an option on the '66 T-Birds and were fairly common. Funny thing was with the 8 track you only got an AM radio.

Another thing I remember, the 64 and 65's looked SO much better with the rear fender skirts removed! Most people pulled them right away and dramatically improved the looks of the car.

To do it right, it was necessary to take a wrench and remove the attaching pegs.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Do t-birds of this vintage typically rust badly?
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    On some car you set the speed on a thumb wheel and then pressed a button to engage it. My Grandfather had one on one of his Imperials in the 60's. He took great joy in setting it at 40 and then dialing in 70, the secondaries would kick open and the car would take off like a scalded cat.
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    My parents bought new 64 Bird for me on my 16th birthday. It was a great car. It weighed maybe 5,000 pounds, and sat on these skinny bias ply tires. I didn't know any better so I wasn't bothered by it's handling. It was a very solid car.

The only thing that drove me nuts was it's single piston air conditioner compressor. The thing would vibrate the entire car. You could tighten the belt but the vibration would return in a couple of days.

I remember that everything from the air conditioner to the rear vent was controlled by air pressure. I can't imagine having a 35 year old car with plastic lines running all over the place controlling everything.

But all in all, the Bird is one of the few cars that I owned that I wish that I had kept.
This discussion has been closed.